PDA

View Full Version : iPod says 0 songs, but available capacity is 10.5 of 18.5 gigs?

jessearl
Oct 18, 2005, 04:21 PM
I turned on my iPod just now and all my songs are gone. In fact, in Settings it says that the number of songs equals 0. So why then is my available capacity not almost equal to the total capacity?

Is there something that is blocking my songs? I must admit, I have never bought a song from iTunes. However, many of my songs were imported from CD's that I own.

Can someone explain this?

realityisterror
Oct 18, 2005, 04:31 PM
It's possible that some or all of the song files are still on the iPod, but part of the iPod's song database was corrupted or something. Try syncing the iPod with your computer, and things should go back to normal. You might need to completely reformat the 'Pod.

Of course, it's also possible that you had some files stored on it as a hard drive?

reality

bankshot
Oct 18, 2005, 04:47 PM
This happened to my iPod just before it started having intermittent disk problems. After a re-sync with the computer, it would often hang up with the disk clicking over and over. Syncing often failed or hung due to I/O errors when it was connected to the computer. Restoring the iPod firmware didn't help, as it would hang during the next sync in the middle of copying all the songs back over.

Finally I did a reformat in Disk Utility, checking Options -> Zero all data. After restoring the iPod firmware, it's been in good shape ever since.

mad jew
Oct 18, 2005, 11:12 PM
Yeah I got the same thing for a while. At first, resetting the iPod would fix it. Then it got worse and it happened more often so I zeroed the hard drive etc. Eventually I took it back to Apple because it had a mashed hard drive and my replacement is on its way.

whalesalad
Oct 19, 2005, 01:20 AM
So mad jew,

I assume that you bought it online and then took it into the store to get a replacement? Is that how that works? I am just wondering since I ordered my ipod and will most likely run into problems as most people have. IF it comes!!!!! Slower than molassas!

mad jew
Oct 19, 2005, 01:34 AM
Well, I bought it at a reseller and I returned it to that reseller. There are no Apple Stores in Australia unfortunately but if you bought it online, then I guess you contact them (phone or email) and from what I've gathered, they send out a box for you to send it back to them in.

Of course, don't expect it to be fast. It is Apple after all. :p

gekko513
Oct 19, 2005, 01:42 AM
This happened to my iPod just before it started having intermittent disk problems. After a re-sync with the computer, it would often hang up with the disk clicking over and over. Syncing often failed or hung due to I/O errors when it was connected to the computer. Restoring the iPod firmware didn't help, as it would hang during the next sync in the middle of copying all the songs back over.

Finally I did a reformat in Disk Utility, checking Options -> Zero all data. After restoring the iPod firmware, it's been in good shape ever since.
I'll have to try that. My old iPod also clicks and always hangs on sync, even after I restored it. Thanks for the tip.