PDA

View Full Version : Media Bias and Technology Reporting

MacBytes
Oct 18, 2005, 04:28 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: Media Bias and Technology Reporting (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051018172846)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

IJ Reilly
Oct 18, 2005, 05:31 PM
Dvorak shouldn't start writing his columns so close to deadline.

otter-boy
Oct 18, 2005, 06:09 PM
If 90% of experts who work with, review, and compare technology products chose to use the an operating system other than the one that 90%+ of people buy, I'd at least consider the product they use next time I'm looking for a computer.

That being said, I highly doubt that 90% of tech writers use Macs, especially at PCMag, since they often sound as if they've never heard of them.

And shouldn't it be a selling point for Macs that "newer, less-qualified observers [. . .] simply cannot use a Microsoft Windows computer." It must be require an aweful lot of special training to use a Word processor on a Windows computer--or is he talking about the computers being unable to run due to the massive amounts of viruses and spyware that somehow appeared on them through regular use?

zap2
Oct 18, 2005, 06:16 PM
"who simply cannot use a Microsoft Windows computer"

who CAN not use Window or who are smart enought to CHOOSE not to?

"With no Microsoft-centric frame of reference, Microsoft cannot look good"

From that i get that if the writer were forced to use Windows they would be more Pro-MS, i think not!

ibjoshua
Oct 18, 2005, 09:19 PM
Ooooo-eeeerr
What a tissy-fit.

i_b_joshua

macnulty
Oct 18, 2005, 09:33 PM
um, reporters have a personal bias that is reflected in their work, um

SummerBreeze
Oct 18, 2005, 09:57 PM
Probably the smartest thing Microsoft could ever have done was copy as much of the Mac OS as it could insofar as look and feel were concerned, since in the final analysis there were customers doing AB comparisons between the Mac and the PC—which kept the PC on the desktop. The PC was cheaper and seemed about the same functionally.

Yeah, the Mac is terrible, and the smartest thing Microsoft did was copy it...

He says that Mac is being used by people who can't use a Microsoft computer. How is this a bad thing? Microsoft is so utterly difficult to use that many writers can't figure out how to open up word and type their documents. They can easily get this done on Macs. And then they talk about how the Mac is great, because otherwise they never would have been able to use a computer.

Um....yeah...is there a point to this article?

nagromme
Oct 18, 2005, 11:18 PM
Reminds me of the people who say "Windows is JUST as easy to use, maintain, and secure. You simply have to be properly trained and keep your expertise up to date!" ... As though being more complex is somehow a GOOD thing :p

IJ Reilly
Oct 19, 2005, 12:56 AM
Um....yeah...is there a point to this article?

Getting paid by PC Magazine to write it. Seriously, that's about it. I don't understand why none of Dvorak's editors have ever had the nerve to tell him to take a hike and never return. He's been writing half-baked drivel like this for a decade at least -- and it isn't even marginally amusing half-baked drivel any longer. This particular column has the look of a piece thrown together an hour before deadline in an airport terminal between flights. Many of them do.

As someone who freelances technology writing and struggles to get published, I have to admit that columns like this really fry my personal bacon to a crisp. Move over already Dvorak. You may not care about what you write anymore, but some of us still do.

Deepdale
Oct 19, 2005, 01:34 AM
This particular column has the look of a piece thrown together an hour before deadline in an airport terminal between flights. Many of them do.

This particularly weak column may have been prepared in an airport terminal, but my guess would be it was not between flights, but after having arrived late for one. Since Dvorak's articles often miss the boat, it makes more sense that he should write them after he misses the flight.

IJ Reilly
Oct 19, 2005, 08:55 AM
This particularly weak column may have been prepared in an airport terminal, but my guess would be it was not between flights, but after having arrived late for one. Since Dvorak's articles often miss the boat, it makes more sense that he should write them after he misses the flight.
:)

Point taken. Either way, the man is on autopilot.

ham_man
Oct 19, 2005, 09:27 PM
That guy makes not one viable basis for his argument. Since when is using a superior product and saying it is a superior product wrong...?

ZoomZoomZoom
Oct 19, 2005, 11:30 PM
It's fox news. I didn't expect too much from it even before clicking the link.

ATD
Oct 20, 2005, 01:19 PM
I'm convinced that Dvorak is comedy writer. His articles make me laugh out loud many times. This one has 3 lines that I'm still laughing about

"Microsoft can roll out a dozen cool products, and the media goes ga-ga over the video iPod"

When has Microsoft EVER rolled out 12 cool products. I'm having a hard time naming 2.

"Probably the smartest thing Microsoft could ever have done was copy as much of the Mac OS as it could insofar as look and feel were concerned"

As far I'm concerned, copying Apple is the ONLY thing Microsoft has been good at.

"The tech writers and tech columnists for the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, and Fortune are all Mac users."

Maybe they are smart and just want to get their work done without spending an endless amount of time fixing computers. Just like a car, I really don't want one breaks down all the time. It's a tool, not an end in itself.