PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Internet Recovery to install 10.8.3?

ThomasJL
Mar 15, 2013, 12:32 AM
I have a blank internal hard drive that I want to install 10.8.3 on. Apple just released the 10.8.3 delta update and combo update today, but my question is: Has Apple released 10.8.3 for people using Internet Recovery?

To preempt any misunderstandings, I will state the following:
• If, as of this moment, Internet Recovery is still at 10.8.2, I am not interested in installing 10.8.2 and then using the delta or combo update to bring it to 10.8.3. I am only interested in doing a clean install of 10.8.3 from Internet Recovery.
• I am not interested in downloading 10.8.3 from the App Store and putting it on a DVD or flash drive. I am only interested in doing a clean install of 10.8.3 from Internet Recovery.

So, once again, my one and only question is: Has Apple released 10.8.3 for people using Internet Recovery?

PaddyWi
Mar 16, 2013, 02:03 PM
Any news regarding the Internet Recovey update?

mattburley7
Mar 16, 2013, 04:34 PM
yes they have I did a clean install today using the internet recovery and I received 10.8.3.. the only update I had once up and running was for iTunes 11.0.2 and the Mac Wifi Utility 6.2. Guess those where not included in 10.8.3

OldRhodie
Mar 16, 2013, 05:21 PM
yes they have I did a clean install today using the internet recovery and I received 10.8.3.. the only update I had once up and running was for iTunes 11.0.2 and the Mac Wifi Utility 6.2. Guess those where not included in 10.8.3

How do you do an Internet recovery please?

mattburley7
Mar 16, 2013, 07:48 PM
How do you do an Internet recovery please?

restart and hold down the option key

go to disk utlity and erase the hard drive then go to re-install os x and it should do internet recovery and you will get 10.8.3

PaddyWi
Mar 17, 2013, 02:42 AM
Well, Disk utility at internet recovery is still at 10.8.2 . Sure it installs 10.8.3 and doesnt update silently in the background?

PaddyWi
Mar 17, 2013, 04:40 PM
Sorry, i meant the base system image, not disk utility :)

mattburley7
Mar 17, 2013, 05:36 PM
yes you will get 10.8.3 because it basically downloads the latest version of os x from the internet they wouldn't give you a outdated version.

SR45
Mar 17, 2013, 11:15 PM

Same here but I'm spoiled and did not like waiting forever on this download/Install and prefer the USB install instead ;). Later, as before with 10.8.2 or was it .1, Apple will include the iTunes update and WiFi with the OS, but unknown when....Hope soon

Isamilis
Mar 17, 2013, 11:32 PM
Full download 10.8.3 will give you also iTunes 11 (compared to iTunes 10 on 10.8.2). This is not the case, if you only update to 10.8.3 from 10.8.2.
You might consider this as well.

Same here but I'm spoiled and did not like waiting forever on this download/Install and prefer the USB install instead ;). Later, as before with 10.8.2 or was it .1, Apple will include the iTunes update and WiFi with the OS, but unknown when....Hope soon

SR45
Mar 18, 2013, 07:44 AM
Full download 10.8.3 will give you also iTunes 11 (compared to iTunes 10 on 10.8.2). This is not the case, if you only update to 10.8.3 from 10.8.2.

Thats interesting. I did a complete reformat and full install from my USB drive and still had to download the update of iTunes 11. It was not an update, so what gives Isamilis ?

jhogervorst
Mar 18, 2013, 12:31 PM
I just got a new MacBook and wanted to do the same thing (clean 10.8.3 install). My solution: download (http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/26/redownload-os-x-mountain-lion-mac-app-store/) the Mountain Lion installer from the App Store for free (it's already updated to 10.8.3) and create a bootable USB installer stick (using one of the many available guides (http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/25/building-an-os-x-mountain-lion-installer-thumb-drive/), if necessary).

Edit: It was a nice idea, but I couldn't get it to work. (Booting from the USB stick resulted in a 🚫 sign.) I'm trying the Internet Recovery now. I'll let you know which version was installed.

Edit 2: Internet Recovery did work, but I ended up with OS X 10.8.2 :( Let's try to make a USB installer using a different method.

PaddyWi
Mar 18, 2013, 03:18 PM
I just got a new MacBook and wanted to do the same thing (clean 10.8.3 install). My solution: download (http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/26/redownload-os-x-mountain-lion-mac-app-store/) the Mountain Lion installer from the App Store for free (it's already updated to 10.8.3) and create a bootable USB installer stick (using one of the many available guides (http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/25/building-an-os-x-mountain-lion-installer-thumb-drive/), if necessary).

Edit: It was a nice idea, but I couldn't get it to work. (Booting from the USB stick resulted in a 🚫 sign.) I'm trying the Internet Recovery now. I'll let you know which version was installed.

Edit 2: Internet Recovery did work, but I ended up with OS X 10.8.2 :( Let's try to make a USB installer using a different method.

Thanks for the info. Hope the disk image gets updated quickly.

treichert
Mar 18, 2013, 03:57 PM

You have waaaay too much time on your hands. All this trouble just to end up with the exact same thing....

jhogervorst
Mar 18, 2013, 04:10 PM
The USB install stick worked. Make sure to restore the image (from the installer app) to the partition on your USB stick (and not to the USB stick itself).

OS X 10.8.3 was successfully installed. The only updates available were iTunes 11.0.2 and AirPort Utility 6.2. (Unfortunately now I have to install iLife manually.)

SR45
Mar 18, 2013, 04:18 PM

Edit: It was a nice idea, but I couldn't get it to work. (Booting from the USB stick resulted in a �� sign.) I'm trying the Internet Recovery now. I'll let you know which version was installed.

I and many others use this method without issues. A program to use to get 10.8.3 onto a thumb drive..

Lion DiskMaker ( US )

http://liondiskmaker.com/?page_id=27

http://www.macworld.com/article/1166702/lion_diskmaker_makes_it_easier_to_create_a_bootable_lion_installer.html

Have diskmaker on the desktop waiting>download 10.8.3 from the app store>Do not continue with 10.8.3 and click on diskmaker and it will find and install the new OS onto the thumb drive. Real easy

PaddyWi
Mar 19, 2013, 01:11 AM
You have waaaay too much time on your hands. All this trouble just to end up with the exact same thing....

Well, he tries stuff. Others don't :)

sshhoott
Mar 19, 2013, 12:59 PM
So does using the internet recovery give you OS X 10.8.3 yet? Or USB installer is the only way to install clean copy of OS X 10.8.3?

razmarino
Mar 19, 2013, 03:02 PM
So does using the internet recovery give you OS X 10.8.3?
yes, it does

ianwuk
Mar 19, 2013, 05:56 PM
I tried internet recovery but, due to a my connection speed, it took a silly amount of time to do. I since created a bootable OSX ML DVD instead and reinstall using that. It is not 10.8.3 (10.8.2) but the time taken to download all the updates and my applications is still plenty less than using internet recovery.

alec6542
Mar 19, 2013, 08:57 PM
What kind of Macs do you guys have? I always thought that Internet Recovery restores the exact version of OS X that your computer shipped with it. At least it does in my case; last week I formatted my internal HD (which was running 10.8.2 at the time) and reinstalled via internet recovery, and it installed OS X Lion 10.7.5. With the release of 10.8.3, have they changed this?

Weaselboy
Mar 20, 2013, 10:21 AM
What kind of Macs do you guys have? I always thought that Internet Recovery restores the exact version of OS X that your computer shipped with it. At least it does in my case; last week I formatted my internal HD (which was running 10.8.2 at the time) and reinstalled via internet recovery, and it installed OS X Lion 10.7.5. With the release of 10.8.3, have they changed this?

No, that part has not changed. Internet Recovery (as opposed to a regular recovery) will install the OS that your system shipped with... Lion or ML. However, that install will be the latest point release. So, for example, if your system shipped with Lion 10.7.4, Internet Recovery now would get you 10.7.5, even if you have ML installed.

razmarino
Mar 20, 2013, 12:11 PM
No, that part has not changed. Internet Recovery (as opposed to a regular recovery) will install the OS that your system shipped with... Lion or ML. However, that install will be the latest point release. So, for example, if your system shipped with Lion 10.7.4, Internet Recovery now would get you 10.7.5, even if you have ML installed.

just yesterday used ir and it downloaded and installed 10.8.3 on 2011mba, which was shipped with 10.7.2 pre-installed.. & before downloading it asked for apple id

Weaselboy
Mar 20, 2013, 12:19 PM
just yesterday used ir and it downloaded and installed 10.8.3 on 2011mba, which was shipped with 10.7.2 pre-installed.. & before downloading it asked for apple id

If it asked for your AppleID, that was not Internet Recovery. Sounds like you just booted to Recovery HD and resinstalled, which will ask for your AppleID. Internet Recovery never asks for an AppleID.

costabunny
Mar 20, 2013, 12:21 PM
Just finished the MBA (2011) install from it :) (took me 2 hours to download tho :( )

All fine and dandy

razmarino
Mar 20, 2013, 01:17 PM
If it asked for your AppleID, that was not Internet Recovery. Sounds like you just booted to Recovery HD and resinstalled, which will ask for your AppleID. Internet Recovery never asks for an AppleID.

Weaselboy
Mar 20, 2013, 01:30 PM

Like I said, that was not Internet Recovery and the fact that you were asked for an AppleID proves it. Internet Recovery and a reinstall from the Recovery HD partition are not the same thing. There is a long, boring article here (http://www.macworld.com/article/1167870/hands_on_with_mountain_lions_os_x_recovery_and_internet_recovery.html#lsrc.rss_howto) that explains the difference.

sshhoott
Mar 20, 2013, 01:36 PM
Wow, I didn't know internet recovery was so slow. :eek:

So clean installing from OS X recovery partition (instead of Internet Recovery) would still give me OS X 10.8.3? Or the only sure way to clean install 10.8.3 is to make a new USB installer?

Weaselboy
Mar 20, 2013, 01:51 PM
Wow, I didn't know internet recovery was so slow. :eek:

It has to DL the entire 4.7GB image over the Internet, so yeah... if you don't have a fast connection, it can take a looong time.

So clean installing from OS X recovery partition (instead of Internet Recovery) would still give me OS X 10.8.3? Or the only sure way to clean install 10.8.3 is to make a new USB installer?

As long as you erase Macintosh HD at the start, either method will give you a clean install.

sshhoott
Mar 20, 2013, 11:05 PM
As long as you erase Macintosh HD at the start, either method will give you a clean install.

Thanks, I undertand that. But does it clean install exactly 10.8.3 ?

eyepea
Mar 21, 2013, 01:49 AM
10.8.3 came through Internet recovery for me when I did a fresh install on my Mac mini 2011 server a few days ago, but at the same time I did my Mac mini 2012 i7 2.6 quad and it loaded up 10.8.2. I then had to update to 10.8.3 via software update. I am guessing the 2012 mm was treated differently because of the fusion drive. It has a special version of disk utility.

With both of those processes I hade a completely wiped drive and did ir via cmd-opt-r.

Weaselboy
Mar 21, 2013, 05:36 AM
Thanks, I undertand that. But does it clean install exactly 10.8.3 ?

Yes, either one would.

Weaselboy
Mar 21, 2013, 05:48 AM
10.8.3 came through Internet recovery for me when I did a fresh install on my Mac mini 2011 server a few days ago, but at the same time I did my Mac mini 2012 i7 2.6 quad and it loaded up 10.8.2. I then had to update to 10.8.3 via software update. I am guessing the 2012 mm was treated differently because of the fusion drive. It has a special version of disk utility.

With both of those processes I hade a completely wiped drive and did ir via cmd-opt-r.

Your 2011 Mini would have come with Lion, and if it had really been Internet Recovery (IR), it would have installed Lion. I assume you had to enter your AppleID to get Mountain Lion?

The command-option-r boot seems inconsistent from machine to machine. It is supposed to go to IR, but for some machines it seems to detect there is already a working Recovery HD present, so it just boots off of that, which in your case is a Mountain Lion Recovery HD and that reinstalls Mountain Lion.

This issue is mentioned in the article (http://www.macworld.com/article/1167870/hands_on_with_mountain_lions_os_x_recovery_and_internet_recovery.html#lsrc.rss_howto) I linked in my earlier post.

This keeps coming up when people are trying to get back to Lion to sell their Macs. Sometimes IR works to get back to Lion, and for other Macs it just refuses and boots off Recovery HD. The sure way to get back to Lion is to boot from an external USB key or similar and erase the entire drive (not just Macintosh HD), so the Mountain Lion Recovery HD is gone. Then it works like it should.

sshhoott
Mar 21, 2013, 01:51 PM
Yes, either one would.

Thanks Weaselboy! I have one more trick question: We know that the OS X recovery lets us clean install OS X, which means it probably has the full installer built in (it doesn't download it from internet) but How does a 650MB recovery partition store a 4.44 GB Mountain Lion installer?

Weaselboy
Mar 21, 2013, 02:07 PM
Thanks Weaselboy! I have one more trick question: We know that the OS X recovery lets us clean install OS X, which means it probably has the full installer built in (it doesn't download it from internet) but How does a 650MB recovery partition store a 4.44 GB Mountain Lion installer?

All the 650MB Recovery HD partition contains is a boot stub and some utilities like Disk Util. It does not contain the full installer. It just allows you to download it from Apple's servers over the Internet.

MacLorenz
Apr 2, 2013, 06:36 AM

Thats interesting. I did a complete reformat and full install from my USB drive and still had to download the update of iTunes 11. It was not an update, so what gives Isamilis ?

So, if you perform a clean install of 10.8.3 do you get iTunes 11 or 10.7?
I want to be sure coz i hate iTunes 11
Tx

Isamilis
Apr 3, 2013, 10:17 AM
You got iTunes 11. I've tried it.

So, if you perform a clean install of 10.8.3 do you get iTunes 11 or 10.7?
I want to be sure coz i hate iTunes 11
Tx