PDA

View Full Version : What do they do during the app review process?

moonman239
Mar 15, 2013, 03:58 PM
So, my app is now being processed for the App Store, after a whole week of waiting and about a quarter of a day in review. It's a simple app that doesn't use very much code. What do you think the reviewers do during that time that makes the review so long?

xShane
Mar 16, 2013, 09:32 AM
So, my app is now being processed for the App Store, after a whole week of waiting and about a quarter of a day in review. It's a simple app that doesn't use very much code. What do you think the reviewers do during that time that makes the review so long?

Your app isn't the only one being submitted and reviewed.

firewood
Mar 16, 2013, 01:44 PM
What do you think the reviewers do during that time that makes the review so long?

Look at Apple's iOS app guidelines and your developer agreement.

How long would it take you to check someone else's app, one that you hadn't ever used before, to determine whether or not it violated any of all those app guidelines or rules in the developer agreement?

How long would it take you to catch up, if you got thousands of those app updates a day to check? Before lunch time...

And then you get fired if you let too many bad apps slip by you...

Enjoy your job :(

moonman239
Mar 16, 2013, 06:48 PM
Your app isn't the only one being submitted and reviewed.

I know. My question is, why was it in review for a quarter of a day?
I'd bet that a good portion involves inspecting the code. If so, why won't Apple just build a computer program that does just that? Then, all the reviewer has to do is see how the app looks and feels on a device.

firewood
Mar 17, 2013, 01:28 PM
Some apps stay in review for well over 1 day. Some apps are rejected for failing what appear to be automated scans. Other rejections look like human judgement calls on both guideline splitting and quality. But some apps that crash on launch get approved. Go figure.

dejo
Mar 18, 2013, 01:26 PM
I'd bet that a good portion involves inspecting the code. If so, why won't Apple just build a computer program that does just that? Then, all the reviewer has to do is see how the app looks and feels on a device.

Why would you bet that? Since you didn't submit any source code to them, they don't really have the ability to inspect the code. They do have automated systems to detect usage of private APIs and things like that but, trust me, they are spending very little of the review time dealing with the code itself.

firewood
Mar 18, 2013, 03:35 PM
... Then, all the reviewer has to do is see how the app looks and feels on a device.

There's tons more to the agreement rules and submission guidelines than just look and feel. Have you read them carefully?

greatform
May 31, 2013, 08:45 PM
..so my developer says. Is this normal? It's just a fitness app. Not much coding, so my developer says. He now says he is at a loss, no rejection, status, no nothing. So I spent time and dough to get it done, film and write content, pay him and now, its like the app has vanished like a fart in the wind. Is there some phn # developers can call and talk so someone at apple or is this the rumor? My developer says he has spoken to someone who never returns calls. I'm the owner/content developer and I just want to know where my work is. I am also at a loss. Thanks in advance.

firewood
Jun 2, 2013, 08:51 AM
If you haven't got a "more time needed" or a request for more info email from Apple, and it's 2 months already, I would be tempted to reject the binary, submit a new version of the app, and start waiting for review all over again. Make sure you haven't misplaced or lost any email or calls from Apple saying that they are waiting for something.

There's a firewall preventing you from contacting any reviewers, and that's on purpose. As it is, most apps take about a week or two in the queue. If 100k+ developers kept calling and bugging them about all their apps (and they would), the reviewers would get zero reviews done, and the queue would grow to be months/years long for everybody.

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 4, 2013, 12:02 PM
..so my developer says. Is this normal? It's just a fitness app. Not much coding, so my developer says. He now says he is at a loss, no rejection, status, no nothing. So I spent time and dough to get it done, film and write content, pay him and now, its like the app has vanished like a fart in the wind. Is there some phn # developers can call and talk so someone at apple or is this the rumor? My developer says he has spoken to someone who never returns calls. I'm the owner/content developer and I just want to know where my work is. I am also at a loss. Thanks in advance.

It isn't normal at all for an app to spend 2 months in review. There are people you can talk to who will get the process moving. It sounds to me like you're being taken for a ride.

I sent an email to Tim Cook about a review taking too long (email addresses at Apple are normally first initial, period, last name, at apple dot com) and someone on the review team got back to me, gave me some contact information to use in the future if problems arose (which I didn't copy down anywhere and I've since lost the email) and had my app approved within a few minutes.

TouchMint.com
Jun 12, 2013, 06:12 PM

You need to contact your dev this is not right. better yet if its your app you should be able to log into itunes connect and look to see whats going on with your app.

waterskier2007
Jun 17, 2013, 03:35 PM
To the person stating 2 months. No way! You are being jerked around.

I like to check out this site, which aggregates twitter data to show the average current review times

http://reviewtimes.shinydevelopment.com/