PDA

View Full Version : To those who think they really want to watch video on the go

motulist
Oct 18, 2005, 09:09 PM
I just want to give a little heads up to those who think they really want to watch video on the go. I used to think I really wanted to watch videos on my train trips and what have you. So one day I took my Powerbook with me on the train and watched a movie. The result? Nausea. When your inner ear tells you you are traveling in one direction and your watching a movie that tells your eyes your moving in a different direction it causes an unpleasant sensation. And for times when I'm waiting on lines or other daily life stuff, that's the very best time to socialize. Who would want to watch a little video of a tv show that I could watch at any time when right in front of me is a cute girl I could be talking to? There may be people who video on the go is good for, but it's not for me. Just thought I'd let people in on my experiences. If you think you really want video on the go like I did, do an experiment first with some "luggable" video before you plunk down your hard earned cash on truly portable video.

TheMonarch
Oct 18, 2005, 09:16 PM
1) Yeah, some people can't even read a book while on a train (A friend of mine), but I've never gotten motion sickness. I find watching video on an iPod the same as playing a gameboy or something.

2) You're right, but I never intended watching video while in a line. I rarely have to wait _that_ long... I agree though... I'd rather socialize...

Counterfit
Oct 18, 2005, 09:30 PM
I can watch two full episodes of anime on the train between here and Boston. And generally, unless I'm going to a Sox game, I'll have my laptop with me, so I just use that. My main reason for wanting a new iPod is the thickness (or lack thereof) and capacity, as I've almost filled my 20GB.

motulist
Oct 18, 2005, 09:31 PM
Yeah actually I find it a bit hard to read on the train too. But when I read on the train I just need to pop my head up when the train's velocity is changing and I'm fine. But you can't really do that with video because constantly pausing a video is much more of a break then just glancing up from a book. It's always a good idea to try before you buy to find out just what kind of an experience it will bring to you as an individual.

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 10:24 PM
I think that my video content will be generally stuff that I have on there for playback on TV's at friends and family. A smaller amount of podcasts and possibly a "daily show" collection.

Yellowsnowman7
Oct 18, 2005, 10:34 PM
I don't plan to use mine to watch "while" actually traveling, but rather to watch my old DVD's now video files in places i would normally not be able to bring a DVD player or all my DVD's. With the purchasing of music as it is, why shouldnt all movies be? Especially if then all i do is walk from my computer to my TV and plug it in like a VCR in the front and press "Play"

Technology on Demand

JDOG_
Oct 18, 2005, 11:32 PM
I agree, as someone who regularly plays their gameboy while listening to Podcasts on the train commute to work everyday, I am just as easily content paroozing a newspaper, magazine or just looking out the window. Also, I'd much rather talk to the "cute girl" than watch "lost."

Speaking of which, the $1.99 thing needs to go, especially in the case of music videos which are merely advertisements. The labels should be GIVING those away since the majority are utter crap. I understand this is kind of a "test run" as all of Jobs quotes have said, but I'd much prefer a subscription model for TV shows with a monthly fee. Music I love to keep, but TV shows can come and go as they please. I would love to plunk down $30-40 a month on these downloads freely as opposed to $1.99 a peice.

madmaxmedia
Oct 18, 2005, 11:42 PM
I'm married so I shouldn't be talking to any cute girls on a train...

motulist
Oct 18, 2005, 11:52 PM
I don't plan to use mine to watch "while" actually traveling, but rather to watch my old DVD's now video files in places i would normally not be able to bring a DVD player or all my DVD's. With the purchasing of music as it is, why shouldnt all movies be? Especially if then all i do is walk from my computer to my TV and plug it in like a VCR in the front and press "Play"

Technology on Demand

For those who have laptops, this is often one of the ways they are used. I have lots and lots of gigs of movies and such on my hard disk and when I want to see them on tv I just use the Powerbook video and audio outputs. So if you are mainly looking for video output when you get there rather than video on the way, you might consider a laptop instead. It can hold LOTS more video and the quality is highly superior than the current iPod video quality.

Counterfit
Oct 18, 2005, 11:55 PM
The cute girls on the trains to Boston are usually with boyfriends :(

Of course, I wouldn't have the cojones to talk to them anyway.

motulist
Oct 18, 2005, 11:56 PM
A laptop can hold LOTS more video and the quality is highly superior to the current iPod video quality.

Plus it can do things like, y'know, compute. :p

motulist
Oct 19, 2005, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't have the cojones to talk to them anyway.

Dude, you gotta build up your rocks. Do some rock exercises. Start small. Tomorrow make one of your to-do's to say hi to a girl you've never met before. As you're walking past a girl on the street say hi to her. Don't even wait for a response, just keep walking. Do that enough times and then talking to new cuties will be no big deal. Then you put on more plates and build from there. You can do it!

asherman13
Oct 19, 2005, 12:33 AM
i personally plan on watching vid's in the car (when others are driving), college, planes, even on a stationary bike @ the gym. as apple said, the ipod is still primarily a music playing device, and i'm still going to use my music to its full potential. the video is a welcome perk :)

Counterfit
Oct 19, 2005, 12:52 AM
Dude, you gotta build up your rocks. Do some rock exercises. Start small. Tomorrow make one of your to-do's to say hi to a girl you've never met before. As you're walking past a girl on the street say hi to her. Don't even wait for a response, just keep walking. Do that enough times and then talking to new cuties will be no big deal. Then you put on more plates and build from there. You can do it!
Well, I could do that fine. I mean, I've been a cashier for over 4 years now, and now one of those sulky ones that says nothing ;) My main problem is getting a conversation to the point of "Hey, I think you're cool, can I have your number?" I usually freak them out before that. Of course, if they're obviously freaked out after spending 3 minutes talking to me, I just don't think it would work anyway :rolleyes:

whalesalad
Oct 19, 2005, 01:17 AM
Some people can watch tv and read books on the go, others cant. I happen to be one of the people who can. If you look outside often it helps.