PDA

View Full Version : 10.8.3 - can't run apps from any other drive now!

unfrostedpoptar
Mar 15, 2013, 11:57 PM
Help! Can someone else confirm this. I have apps installed on other drives, including encrypted bundles. Suddenly - pretty sure timing matches 10.8.3 - they won't run. I take any .app (e.g. vlc.app, but I've tried several) and copy it to another folder on my primary drive. Works fine. Copy it to another drive and double-click and get nothing! This worked fine for the last several months every single day and just stopped working a couple of days ago.

What's going on? I've checked with Disk Utility and various System Pref panes and don't see anything. This is driving me nuts since I rely on this working, especially with portable apps.

Thanks!

David

benwiggy
Mar 16, 2013, 06:31 AM
Check the Console Utility for any relevant log messages at the time you try to launch an app.

unfrostedpoptar
Mar 16, 2013, 01:15 PM
Check the Console Utility for any relevant log messages at the time you try to launch an app.

Thanks.

If I try and run the app off the other drive, I get this:

2013-03-16 11:06:03.148 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[208]: ([0x0-0x250250].org.chromium.Chromium[2566]) Job failed to exec(3) for weird reason: 1
2013-03-16 11:06:03.000 AM kernel[0]: exec of /Volumes/test/Chromium 9.38.20 PM.app/Contents/MacOS/Chromium denied since it was quarantined by QuickTime\x20Player and created without user consent, qtn-flags was 0x00000046

I tried to fool it by making an alias of this in /Applications but got the same error. So I went deeper and made a symbolic link from a terminal. No go.

So, what's this about Quicktime not allowing apps to run?

As a temporary work-around, I just went to move ~/Library/Application Support/Chromium to the other drive. Again, I first tried aliasing this over and got this error:

2013-03-16 11:01:57.371 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[208]: ([0x0-0x23e23e].org.chromium.Chromium[2514]) Exited with code: 20

However, the ln -s link did work!

David

unfrostedpoptar
Mar 16, 2013, 01:52 PM
I did some searching and found similar errors reported. They all said it would be fixed with xattr -d -r xxx.app. I tried this and several variations and it made no difference.

jameslmoser
Mar 16, 2013, 02:04 PM
Are any of these drives mounted with the noexec option? If you run "mount" in terminal what do you see?

james@silverbox ~ $ mount
/dev/disk2s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
/dev/disk0s2 on /Volumes/Windows (ntfs, local, read-only, noowners)
/dev/disk3s2 on /Volumes/Backup (hfs, local, journaled)
map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)
map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)
/dev/disk1s2 on /Volumes/Data (hfs, local, journaled)

See where it says things like "nobrowse" and "read-only", do the drives say "noexec" anywhere?

unfrostedpoptar
Mar 16, 2013, 02:08 PM
Are any of these drives mounted with the noexec option? If you run "mount" in terminal what do you see?

james@silverbox ~ $ mount
See where it says things like "nobrowse" and "read-only", do the drives say "noexec" anywhere?

david-rMBP:~ david$ mount
/dev/disk1 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)
map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)
/dev/disk2s2 on /Volumes/test (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled, quarantine, mounted by david)

I'm guessing the "quarantine" attribute is not a good sign! How do I get rid of it? Why did it suddenly appear a few days ago or was it always there but 10.8.3 is now treating it differently?

Thanks!

Nermal
Mar 16, 2013, 02:19 PM
Since nobody else has, I'm just posting to confirm that I *can* still run apps from other drives in 10.8.3 so it is an issue with your machine - and therefore must be fixable - rather than something that affects all users.

My second volume has "hfs, local, journaled" when I run mount. I have no idea what quarantine is.

unfrostedpoptar
Mar 16, 2013, 02:55 PM
Got it! Thanks to all the suggestions, I found this page:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/64456/mount-is-adding-a-quarantine-flag-causing-bin-bash-bad-interpreter-operatio

Turns out that somehow the quarantine attribute was added to the .dmg image file that contained the folder with the apps that wouldn't run. I unmounted the disk image and then ran 'xattr -d com.apple.quarantine xxx.dmg' and now it all works!

I'm sure glad I have them easy-to-use Apple computers and not those confusing Windows ones :)

Thanks again!

David

Nermal
Mar 16, 2013, 03:47 PM
And now I've remembered what quarantine is; it's the thing that stops downloaded apps from running until you explicitly approve them. I can't explain why you didn't get a confirmation prompt to bypass it though...

Edit: This one:

unfrostedpoptar
Mar 16, 2013, 07:22 PM
And now I've remembered what quarantine is; it's the thing that stops downloaded apps from running until you explicitly approve them. I can't explain why you didn't get a confirmation prompt to bypass it though...

Edit: This one:

Yes - I thought it was related to that. The confusing part is the attribute wasn't on the app - or even the folder or volume. It was on the .dmg file that held the volume/folder/app which is why I didn't see it when I was searching.