Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dangerly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
European Dis-Union
Hello,
this is the story.
I own a 24" iMac (3.06 core2duo 8GB ram......).
Been working with OS X 10.8.2 for about four months.
I sincerely like better Snow Leopard.
My question is: can i make a clean install of 10.6.8 and then migrate my account from a Time Machine backup made under 10.8.2? Or it will mess up Snow Leopard in some way?
Thanks

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Your time machine backup will not be recognize in 10.6.8.
I have same situation with you and end up with manual backup. Very happy SL user now :)

dangerly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
European Dis-Union
Your time machine backup will not be recognize in 10.6.8.
I have same situation with you and end up with manual backup. Very happy SL user now :)

Thank you.
Luckily i have a backup of my account made with Carbon Copy, how can i migrate this to a clean install of SL?

keekl

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
PA
I'm a happy SL user too but sometime were going to have to adjust to the changes I guess?:eek:

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Maybe you can fresh install SL, then run the CCC to restore selected files (documents, picture, etc). I don't think, the you can restore application and setting when downgrading. The application & setting usually backward compatible only not the other way around.
I use manual copy/paste only because I don't have CCC.

Thank you.
Luckily i have a backup of my account made with Carbon Copy, how can i migrate this to a clean install of SL?

dangerly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
European Dis-Union
Maybe you can fresh install SL, then run the CCC to restore selected files (documents, picture, etc). I don't think, the you can restore application and setting when downgrading. The application & setting usually backward compatible only not the other way around.
I use manual copy/paste only because I don't have CCC.

This is what i will do.
Thank you

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
love SL compared to ML/Lion, what a piece of junk :/ And I guess next release wont be much better..:mad:

wiz7dome

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
Hello,
this is the story.
I own a 24" iMac (3.06 core2duo 8GB ram......).
Been working with OS X 10.8.2 for about four months.
I sincerely like better Snow Leopard.
My question is: can i make a clean install of 10.6.8 and then migrate my account from a Time Machine backup made under 10.8.2? Or it will mess up Snow Leopard in some way?
Thanks

Im not exactly sure how to downgrade your account info from 10.8 to 10.6 but I'd suggest making a small partition on your drive (say 60 gigs or so) to run ML. Sadly at some point updates and requirements may demand ML for somethings (for example working with JDK 1.7)

I've done this as a way of transitioning to ML. BetterTouchTool, MLTweeks and several other housekeeping things make it better but not 10.6

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
BetterTouchTool, MLTweeks and several other housekeeping things make it better but not 10.6

Ditto here with an emphasis on lots of tweaks. If I ever have to do a clean install of ML it will take me weeks to fine tune it again.

While I miss SL I'm able to stomach 10.8 if I hold my breath and close my eyes at times.

rocoloco

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
wow, was SL really that better? I own my air since Lion so I have never experienced SL...

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
One should never argue over matters of taste, but I just don't see it.

I've used every version of OS X from 10.2 onwards. I don't get that Snow Leopard is the high-water mark of civilization. I don't get that Lion and ML are "junk".

There were plenty of bugs in various versions of 10.6 -- some of them major dealbreakers, like the font bug in 10.6.7. You'll find many forum posts saying that SL isn't as good as Leopard. Subsequent versions of OS X have fixed bugs that still exist in SL.

Are there bugs in 10.7 and 10.8? Yes. Has the new annual cycle brought a shorter life to each version and fewer bug-fixing updates? Yes.

Are there massive changes to the user interface, and to the very metaphors and paradigms that have persisted since Xerox PARC? Yes. Are they the first such changes? No.

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
I am using Lion. I am very curious what it is that you all like better about SL.
I came into the apple scene at a IIE before OS 1, and have used all releases. I do have some issue myself with Lion, but I need the drivers, so I found some work-arounds to what I didn't like, lol.
Can you be more specific about what you don't like?

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Mission Control
10.6 screwed Expose's usefulness. It's an old issue by now, but it still bothers me. Bringing up the dock to take up valuable screen real estate, and making all windows the exact same size so that you had to look at the content of each window instead of knowing what you wanted based on size? Terrible. Expose was a truly amazing feature when I switched from Windows XP to OS X 10.4, and 10.6 totally reduced its usefulness to me. I began alt-tabbing heavily again, as if I were back on Windows.

I thought I'd hate Mission Control, but it's actually quite useful - a heck of a lot better than Expose in 10.6, that's for sure! Window sizes are back to being scaled representations of true sizes, and the application icons make it easier to determine what you were looking for. It's unfortunate that there's no way to have all windows display, but through using a combination of Mission Control and application-specific Expose it works well enough. I don't alt-tab anymore.

But as usual, YMMV. I'm sure some people thought that Expose on 10.6 was the pinnacle of Expose and Expose-like functionality.

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
For me: The removal of the Spaces app.

Mission Control

P.S. I ran over one of your brethren on I-25 yesterday. Apologies.

I-25? You must be out west!
I removed launcher and mission control, I have no use for them.
I didn't like not having drive icons on the desktop, I fixed that too.
There seems to be something I can't yet put my finger on, about the way folders are viewed too. Or maybe I just haven't gotten them the way I like them yet. There does seem to be more glitchy behavior in 10.7 than there was in 10.6.8. and my windows boxes can no longer access my share points. Maybe when I bring them to win 7 that will improve.

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I'm thinking since I have two identical 2.4 MacBooks (last ones made mid-2010) I will put one on SL and one on ML and do some real world tests for the forum to solve this issue once and for all. Especially since I feel as if my laptops are running sluggishly under ML and I have wanted to try SL again ever since I upgraded all my machines. This will be good for everyone.

For me, I like the new features in ML because it really helps me connect all my iDevices with my iMac, and MB's. It makes social integration easier across the platforms and it's a great set of new features. With that greatness comes a price however. Bugs yes, but more-so than that BLOAT. ML is like a big custom GMC Suburban with a bunch of features and SL is like a little lightweight Lotus with a turbocharger.

I expect I will be happy again with the speed of my machines when I downgrade, which I have not been since I upgraded. I have a 27" mid-2010 iMac with 8gb, a 21.5" 2011 iMac with 4gb, two mid 2010 2.4 MB's with 8gb. NONE of them have ran as well as they did on SL, all feel sluggish even after disk repair and other proactive efforts.

There is a very well defined and documented wifi issue in ML that has driven me insane. Every program I use has been upgraded to work with ML so no issues with compatibility. Just a few bugs and sluggish bloated performance keep me from liking ML the way I'd like to and I think SL is going to be less bloated and snappier for me so we will see. I'll do the downgrade in a day or two on one of my MB's and do a fresh wipe on the other and re-install ML since I can restore from time machine backup if I decide to keep running ML.

3B23E552-AF4F-4D88-BA7D-C612FD0AE813-4532-0000012B3420A6B7.jpg

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I thought I'd hate Mission Control, but it's actually quite useful - a heck of a lot better than Expose in 10.6,
You're confusing Expose' with the grid-like Spaces app I was referring to. Spaces has nothing to do with Expose'.

Mission Control tried meshing these two elegant (and separate) apps together. And poorly I might add.

dangerly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
European Dis-Union
One should never argue over matters of taste, but I just don't see it.

I've used every version of OS X from 10.2 onwards. I don't get that Snow Leopard is the high-water mark of civilization. I don't get that Lion and ML are "junk".

There were plenty of bugs in various versions of 10.6 -- some of them major dealbreakers, like the font bug in 10.6.7. You'll find many forum posts saying that SL isn't as good as Leopard. Subsequent versions of OS X have fixed bugs that still exist in SL.

Are there bugs in 10.7 and 10.8? Yes. Has the new annual cycle brought a shorter life to each version and fewer bug-fixing updates? Yes.

Are there massive changes to the user interface, and to the very metaphors and paradigms that have persisted since Xerox PARC? Yes. Are they the first such changes? No.

You're right, all OSs have some bugs.
But as i stated in the opening post, i work with a 24" iMac, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz.
Since i have installed ML last november it has become much slower in about every task, and with all the software i used before. It's a snail. With SL it was much snappier. I also don't like all the iOS toys added to OSX, those are ok on the iPhone and iPad, on the iMac are just annoying. I don't care to waste time to fine tune and disable all the useless features of ML.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Since i have installed ML last november it has become much slower in about every task, and with all the software i used before. It's a snail. With SL it was much snappier. I also don't like all the iOS toys added to OSX, those are ok on the iPhone and iPad, on the iMac are just annoying. I don't care to waste time to fine tune and disable all the useless features of ML.
If your computer is getting slower, then that's not necessarily an inherent problem in the OS. It's likely something that can be fixed and is just "a problem on your computer", rather than "the code in ML makes things slow".
I've found ML much faster on my tiddly 2009 MacBook than SL was.

The rest is mostly down to what you've got used to. But you had to learn the original way to use your computer before Apple introduced a new way. We can argue about what is optimal or most efficient. But I find ML very easy to navigate between apps and windows, between Spaces. I don't see that any function (i.e. real-world function, not a particular way of doing something) has been lost.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
You're confusing Expose' with the grid-like Spaces app I was referring to. Spaces has nothing to do with Expose'.

Mission Control tried meshing these two elegant (and separate) apps together. And poorly I might add.
I'm not confusing them, although I can see how it seems that way. You brought up a feature that you used heavily, introduced in 10.5, and stated your dislike for what became of it; I brought up a feature that I used heavily and noted that 10.6 represented that feature at its worst.

Although on the topic of Spaces, I used them only rarely in 10.5 and 10.6. I now make use of multiple "spaces" (desktops) with Mission Control, as the arrangement is more useful to me.

I'll say again that it doesn't mean that Mission Control is the best thing ever and that anyone who can't see why is "wrong." There's no such thing as being wrong when it comes to working styles. But I'll join those who are a bit confused over why 10.6 is regarded as the pinnacle of OS X. It was the version with the absolute fastest shutdown time (near-instant) and had lighter resource usage, but as far as I was concerned in my normal usage, that's all it had going for it. I preferred 10.5, and I'm happy with 10.8 - particularly paired up with the Magic Trackpad.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012

I second that. Especially on memory consumption. With SL I got free 2.8gb with just browser & iTunes running. In ML it's about 1.xgb. Big different. iMac 2010 4gb.
However, I don't get any issues on performance in ML, but it's in Air 2012 / 8gb even with 2 vm running in the same time.

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
One thing I did notice is that, even though Lion seems to use more RAM for some processes than SL did, it is also better at managing the RAM. Meaning it returns it to the system faster for other processes to use. So in some instances it makes it zippier, depending of course on what I am doing at the time.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
One thing I did notice is that, even though Lion seems to use more RAM for some processes than SL did, it is also better at managing the RAM. Meaning it returns it to the system faster for other processes to use. So in some instances it makes it zippier, depending of course on what I am doing at the time.

Too bad the same cannot be said for the VRAM... On SL, it is fast to return to the system, while in L and ML for some odd reason it leaks pretty badly despite quitting GPU-hungry apps...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.