Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I understand this is a big topic but I'm just going to look at it from 60,000 ft here. A little context - I have over 10 years in Web Development (mostly), using the .NET stack, more specifically - ASP.NET and C#. With that said, I'm interested in iOS development and possibly 2D gaming.

I'm currently learning Objective-C. What would be the next step after Objective-C? Would it be the Cocoa Touch framework or would I skip that and go directly to a gaming framework like cocos2d?

Thanks in advance.

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
I understand this is a big topic but I'm just going to look at it from 60,000 ft here. A little context - I have over 10 years in Web Development (mostly), using the .NET stack, more specifically - ASP.NET and C#. With that said, I'm interested in iOS development and possibly 2D gaming.

I'm currently learning Objective-C. What would be the next step after Objective-C? Would it be the Cocoa Touch framework or would I skip that and go directly to a gaming framework like cocos2d?

Thanks in advance.

While it is theoretically POSSIBLE to develop apps for iOS without using Cocoa touch, you almost always end up needing the OS frameworks for something.

Even if you use a third party library like cocos2d you should probably spend some time learning Cocoa Touch and Foundation Classes so you know how to integrate with the OS.

If you're looking to do immersive full-screen games, cocos2d or one of the other third party frameworks is a real possibility. Pity you didn't work in C++ on the PC side. It's quite possible to develop apps in C++. Again, though, you end up needing to use Objective C and the native OS frameworks for some things.

EdgelessLemming

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2010
I learned c++ in school, dabbled in c# briefly and then went to objective c. I read a couple books (more like skimmed) and started with cocos2d. I didn't understand the ins and outs of the Cocoa touch framework but between referencing my books and google I learned a lot as I went.

If you're a learn as you go type of person and have the patience I would suggest buying a couple books to reference and just jump into cocos2d.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.