PDA

View Full Version : remove ".local" suffix from computer name in sharing?

Harrison.S
Mar 17, 2013, 06:12 AM
Hi. Ive got a really really annoying problem. I have to fix this.

Right now im running OSX 10.8.3 and when i go on airdrop, my icon displays my account picture and below that it says "Other people in AirDrop can see your Mac as localhost when their computer is nearby. Now my question is, how on earth can i change my name back to something normal like "Harrison"? And get rid of this "localhost" nonsense.

When i try sharing and unlock the padlock, i try to edit my name but its just greyed out! and when i click edit i can change my name to whatever i want, but after my name, there is always a greyed out suffix saying ".local" that i cannot change no matter what i do!

When i try terminal hacks, nothing changes. This is really starting to annoy me, and whoever manages to fix it, i can offer a small reward.

PLEASE HELP

VictoryHighway
Mar 17, 2013, 07:25 AM
I don't think you can, because it is required for Bonjour networking.

maflynn
Mar 17, 2013, 07:35 AM
Please review this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1210515) on the topic matter, its quite interesting

benwiggy
Mar 17, 2013, 09:06 AM
Right now im running OSX 10.8.3 and when i go on airdrop, my icon displays my account picture and below that it says "Other people in AirDrop can see your Mac as localhost when their computer is nearby. Now my question is, how on earth can i change my name back to something normal like "Harrison"? And get rid of this "localhost" nonsense.
Airdrop uses the "Computer Name" in System Prefs > Sharing. In my case, that's "Ben's Mini" or "Ben's MacBook".
The LocalHostName, after clicking on the "Edit" button gives "Ben's MacBook.local".

And you can't modify the Computer Name in the Sharing pane, even after you've unlocked the padlock in the lower bottom left corner?

Have you tried using scutil to set the ComputerName and the LocalHostName? Does that fail? e.g.:
scutil --set ComputerName Harrison

You might try "sudo" in front of that.

Is it possible that you have reconfigured something in an unusual way? (PS: Have you modified the system font? Looks odd in your images.)

This might be a rare time when Repair Permissions might fix something, as there may be some system file that is not accepting writes to it.

Failing that, then something is hosed, and it might be best to reinstall the OS.

Harrison.S
Mar 17, 2013, 06:20 PM
Airdrop uses the "Computer Name" in System Prefs > Sharing. In my case, that's "Ben's Mini" or "Ben's MacBook".
The LocalHostName, after clicking on the "Edit" button gives "Ben's MacBook.local".

And you can't modify the Computer Name in the Sharing pane, even after you've unlocked the padlock in the lower bottom left corner?

Have you tried using scutil to set the ComputerName and the LocalHostName? Does that fail? e.g.:
scutil --set ComputerName Harrison

You might try "sudo" in front of that.

Is it possible that you have reconfigured something in an unusual way? (PS: Have you modified the system font? Looks odd in your images.)

This might be a rare time when Repair Permissions might fix something, as there may be some system file that is not accepting writes to it.

Failing that, then something is hosed, and it might be best to reinstall the OS.

Yes i have modified it a wee bit using tinkertool. But i did post in another forum and this fixed my problem
sudo scutil --set ComputerName Harrison
sudo scutil --set HostName Harrison
sudo scutil --set LocalHostName Harrison
I type all three of those codes in terminal at once, then put in my password and that fixes it temporarily while im logged in. My name goes back to localhost whenever i log out or reboot.

benwiggy
Mar 18, 2013, 02:37 AM
Yes i have modified it a wee bit using tinkertool.
Perhaps you've modified it more than you think.

sudo scutil --set ComputerName Harrison
sudo scutil --set HostName Harrison
sudo scutil --set LocalHostName Harrison
HostName should be unset on OS X.

I type all three of those codes in terminal at once, then put in my password and that fixes it temporarily while im logged in. My name goes back to localhost whenever i log out or reboot.
Then if Repair Permissions doesn't fix it, you should reinstall the OS.