PDA

View Full Version : How do I buy Logic, put on backup drive and install on my two macs.

kristenanne77
Mar 17, 2013, 10:19 AM
Would like to buy Logic, put on backup drive and install on my two macs.

Instead of installing Logic from apple store (or itunes store?) directly to my computer, I would like to purchase Logic and "store' the application on a hard drive. Then I would like to install it from the hard drive onto my mac desktop and my macbook (at times this makes my workflow a lot easier). I know that purchase the program I can install on my own computers so thats not an issue.
And Of course having the backup available would also be a lifesaver if something happened and I had to reinstall quickly.

Can someone please tell me how to do this?

Thanks
K

simsaladimbamba
Mar 17, 2013, 10:21 AM
You buy it via the Mac App Store (http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/app-store.html) (MAS), download it, copy it from one Mac to the other and then also put a copy of it on your backup HDD.

Thus if both Macs storage devices (HDD or SSD) fail at the same time, you can recover from the backup of it on your backup HDD once you repaired/replaced both failed storage devices on both your Macs.

The same goes for the additional Application Support data like loops and such stored in Macintosh HD / Library / Application Support / Logic Pro or a similar folder.

kristenanne77
Mar 17, 2013, 12:20 PM
So are you saying that apple will not install the program automatically and I will actually download the application to and then install it myself?

ChrisA
Mar 17, 2013, 12:43 PM
Would like to buy Logic, put on backup drive and install on my two macs.

Instead of installing Logic from apple store (or itunes store?) directly to my computer, I would like to purchase Logic and "store' the application on a hard drive. Then I would like to install it from the hard drive onto my mac desktop and my macbook (at times this makes my workflow a lot easier). I know that purchase the program I can install on my own computers so thats not an issue.
And Of course having the backup available would also be a lifesaver if something happened and I had to reinstall quickly.
K

WOuldn't you always have a backup of all your stuff? Use Time Machine and in addition several hard drives that you rotate to a remote location. I think Apple makes this hard to do on purpose so people will not redistribute the software.

Also, I think software Update only works if you go through the process with the App Store

simsaladimbamba
Mar 17, 2013, 12:51 PM
So are you saying that apple will not install the program automatically and I will actually download the application to and then install it myself?

Just because you purchased one application and downloaded it to one Mac, does not mean, that that application will be downloaded to another Mac you use with the MAS. But you could simply use the MAS to download it on the other Mac, if you have such a slow internal network or no transfer storage devices.

Boyd01
Mar 17, 2013, 04:27 PM
See the help menu for the App Store

Use applications on multiple Macs

After you purchase an application, you can install it free of charge on every Mac you own. There are several techniques you can use.

Install a purchased application on another Mac

On the other Mac, find the application in App Store, click Buy or Free, and then provide the Apple ID you used to purchase the application.

Copy the application from one Mac to another Mac. When you open the copied application on the other Mac, enter the Apple ID used to purchase it.

Open App Store on the other Mac, and then log in using the Apple ID used to make the purchase.

Click Purchases in the toolbar to list applications purchased. Any application that has an INSTALL option was purchased using the Apple ID, but not installed on the Mac you’re using. Click INSTALL to download and install the application.