PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use new ipod or nano for running?

BuffNerd
Oct 19, 2005, 08:21 AM
Hey all,
does anyone use their ipod for running? I'm considering a nano or the new video ipod. My main concern is I run a lot and i'm worried about the click wheel not working with...well, no other way to say it: really sweaty fingers.
I'd love the nano but i really want to be able to use a remote that way I don't have to touch the unit itself.
If the click wheel can take the sweatiness, i'd go with a nano. I sure would appreciate any thoughts.

grapes911
Oct 19, 2005, 08:25 AM
Why touch your iPod when working out? Make a nice playlist and go. When done, turn it off. You don't need to skip song or anything if you make a good playlist.

mad jew
Oct 19, 2005, 08:26 AM
Don't they both have the same clickwheel, apart from the size? Anyway, I use a regular 4G and a nano for running and the nano is a much better idea. As you run, you jolt the hard drive and if it happens to be reading or writing at the same time, it can do permanent damage. The nano uses Flash memory instead which doesn't have the same problem.

A nano for running every time. :)

gwuMACaddict
Oct 19, 2005, 08:32 AM
have used my brothers iPod with a click wheel for running before- it worked just fine

definitely prefer my shuffle for exercising though :D

BuffNerd
Oct 19, 2005, 08:42 AM
As you run, you jolt the hard drive and if it happens to be reading or writing at the same time, it can do permanent damage. The nano uses Flash memory instead which doesn't have the same problem.

Isn't the IPOD video flash based as well? I'd love the nano, but you can't use remotes with it. As for the playlist, that would work, i just don't want to make a playlist for every run.

I run about 6 times a week usually about an hour each time. it'd get annoying to make a zillion playlists :)

Anyone have any problems with click wheels reacting badly to sweat?

troym
Oct 19, 2005, 08:52 AM
i lift weights with my black nano using the armband from apple.com ipod never moves, i'm sure it will be fine while running. I do have to put it on the last notch while lifting, kinda gets alittle snug.

devilot
Oct 19, 2005, 09:03 AM
Can't really run anymore... so said the physical therapist so walking is all I can manage to do. But it's gotten more bearable w/ my nano! ;) I also have the Apple nano armband and I really like it, it's very comfy and while it looks as if the iPod would fall right out (in most of the pictures I've seen), in person, it does take a decent amount of force to get the 'pod into the little sleeve. Very nice fit. Definitely worth my $26.99.

grapes911
Oct 19, 2005, 09:05 AM
IAs for the playlist, that would work, i just don't want to make a playlist for every run.

I run about 6 times a week usually about an hour each time. it'd get annoying to make a zillion playlists :)

You just need to make one playlist once. You take every song you enjoy running to and put it in a playlist. When you run, you select the playlist and put it on shuffle. Very easy.

Scottyk9
Oct 19, 2005, 09:21 AM
Isn't the IPOD video flash based as well? I'd love the nano, but you can't use remotes with it. As for the playlist, that would work, i just don't want to make a playlist for every run.

Just to clear things up - only the nano is flash based, the 5G iPods use a hard drive. Also, the port beside the headphone port on previous iPods (where the remote plugged into) is now gone, and so is Apple's remote for the 5G iPod. Unless someone makes a remote that uses the dock connector, your remote idea won't work. Sounds like you need a 3G iPod (no moving parts, has remote), although it is also not flash based.

I ride with my iPod (yeah, I know, but please don't bother), and creating a few big playlists for exercising works fine for me - I don't touch my iPod the entire time.

xyouxfailmiex
Oct 19, 2005, 10:00 AM
i havemy 60 gig video for regular stuff like driving working , just around the house

and i got a shuffle on ebay really cheap (60)for when i go biking, skateboarding and lift weights

i would NEVER think of taking my 60 gig out for a jog

jholzner
Oct 19, 2005, 10:19 AM

Wonder how much 60gigs of flash memory would cost! Probably a tad more than 399 ;)

Josh396
Oct 19, 2005, 10:36 AM
Wonder how much 60gigs of flash memory would cost! Probably a tad more than 399 ;)
Just a tad..

Betateam
Oct 19, 2005, 01:53 PM
No dude. Computer people don't exercise. :p

crazyjoeda
Oct 19, 2005, 02:12 PM
You can put the iPod Nano on shuffle mode and you can play any playlist in random order.

BuffNerd
Oct 19, 2005, 09:36 PM

true, i must have been confused by how thin those suckers are. I think i'll wait for when the nano gets a remote and can transfer songs via firewire. Maybe by christmas?

Anyone hear any good rumors? )

asherman13
Oct 19, 2005, 09:47 PM
true, i must have been confused by how thin those suckers are. I think i'll wait for when the nano gets a remote and can transfer songs via firewire. Maybe by christmas?

Anyone hear any good rumors? )

not to rain on your parade, but that's not going to happen. at least, the firewire. don't even get your hopes up; that's part of the reason why they're so thin.

remote-wise, i recommend griffen's airclick. they just came out with one that plugs into the dock connecter, so you can use that with a new ipod or a nano. bonus: it's a wireless remote, with a nice little clip on it. i'm not sure if the nano armband has an opening for the dock connector, so i'd look into that.

also, i would NOT recommend taking a normal iPod running (treadmill maybe, workout maybe, but running on the street? no way), it doesn't come with a belt clip or anything like that, and it IS a hard drive player (granted the mini was too, but still..). if you really want the video, and have the money, i guess you could get a new ipod and a shuffle/nano for your running. shuffle's probably better, cheaper too; that way you can update before you go on a run, and don't have to deal with playlists, or a sweaty click-wheel; only sweaty plastic buttons :p

Xeem
Oct 19, 2005, 10:02 PM
Why touch your iPod when working out? Make a nice playlist and go. When done, turn it off. You don't need to skip song or anything if you make a good playlist.

I agree with Grapes, but why not take it a step further? If you have a good playlist, just use an iPod Shuffle. They are nigh invincible, and can take all the sweatiness you can throw at them, I guarantee it.

Koodauw
Oct 19, 2005, 10:36 PM
I run with my nano. I run about what you do. Its great. Seriously though, Ive never noticed "sweaty hands." My hand usually stay pretty dry.

I think the Nano is a better and I dont think the new iPod videos can use the old remote. the headphone jack doesn't seem to have the 4 extra prong things on the side. Its just round. I might be wrong on this, someone please correct me if thats the case.

Yeah get the nano, my only concern is that its so light it might slip out of my pocket. hasn't yet though.

Zoowatch
Oct 20, 2005, 01:13 PM
i run with the nano all the time and it can play very well (without skipping) for extended period of shaking

however, u need an armband
otherwise it will become quite slipperly in your sweaty hand