PDA

View Full Version : For those excited by Ive's iOS 7...

SJism23
Mar 17, 2013, 03:40 PM
Article: http://www.businessinsider.com/apples-ios-7-wont-be-a-major-overhaul-2013-3

It seems that a lot of people on here expect iOS 7 to be fresh and new due to Forstall's ouster and Ive's inclusion as part of the iOS team, but as the article linked above states, not much can be done in 6 months of product development. So don't be disappointed for WWDC this year.

Considering this, what do you expect from iOS 7? Will it be another iOS 6? Or something more?

irDigital0l
Mar 17, 2013, 03:42 PM
Not expecting much.

Also tons of other Apple experts like John Gruber have said that based on experience, there's no way for Apple to completely change iOS within 6 months. Maybe iOS 8 but people expecting change, change, change will be disappointed, disappointed, disappointed.

WhackyNinja
Mar 17, 2013, 06:19 PM
Well it will make sense for Apple to do something big with iOS 7. They need to realize that Android is right now catching up to them, and with Android 5.0 coming this year it could deliver the fatal blow to iOS. If Apple doesnt do anything, Android will win and a lot of people will end up leaving their iPhones for something newer and, dare I say, better.

dwaynewilliams
Mar 17, 2013, 06:23 PM
I like the way iOS looks and operates. I don't have any complaints. They criticize the graphics in iOS as being over the top, but I think they set iOS apart from everyone else.

ijohn.8.80
Mar 17, 2013, 06:27 PM
Not expecting much, but I'm sure that Apple will be able to list off 100 new features again! :p

I'm still perfectly happy with my iPhone 4 on iOS 6.0, I don't do quantum physics equations or complex video editing on my phone!

Abazigal
Mar 17, 2013, 06:34 PM
IOS6 Would likely have been in development before Ive took over. I agree that the best you can do now is to simply make refinements to those new features.

At the same time, start to redesign IOS8 from the ground up, to release alongside the new generation iphone. Makes way more sense from a marketing viewpoint - new specs, form factor an software.

pknz
Mar 17, 2013, 06:36 PM
Article: http://www.businessinsider.com/apples-ios-7-wont-be-a-major-overhaul-2013-3

It seems that a lot of people on here expect iOS 7 to be fresh and new due to Forstall's ouster and Ive's inclusion as part of the iOS team, but as the article linked above states, not much can be done in 6 months of product development. So don't be disappointed for WWDC this year.

Considering this, what do you expect from iOS 7? Will it be another iOS 6? Or something more?

BusinessInsider. What do you expect?

roow110
Mar 17, 2013, 06:43 PM
Ive obviously doesn't have much time to make any major changes, however, I think right off the bat he will make quite a few aesthetic changes and overall design changes. User experience and new features will come into affect in the next iteration. I see him updating much of the out-of-date design aesthetics and fixing a few inconsistencies within iOS.

WhackyNinja
Mar 17, 2013, 06:51 PM
Im not looking for a MASSIVE OMG overhaul to the iOS UI. But these subtle changes would be nice..

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/009/e/6/idea__search_box_in_settings_app_by_theintenseplayer-d5r07vl.png
http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/018/e/5/improving_on_the_low_battery_alert_by_theintenseplayer-d5rx7ys.png
http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2012/279/3/d/ios_7_concept__dashboard_by_theintenseplayer-d5gzwlt.png

irDigital0l
Mar 17, 2013, 08:20 PM
Hopefully we'll see iOS 7 on June 10th. (Very possible WWDC date).

Rogifan
Mar 17, 2013, 08:36 PM
How would Business Insider know? And John Gruber and Guy English don't claim to have any inside knowledge on what Apple is/isn't doing.

ustreaty
Mar 17, 2013, 10:06 PM
I know it is hard to bring a earthshaking changes later, but i am glad to hear Apple would name it as IOS 6.3 or IOS6.5 than IOS 7. as we known, IOS actually bring few updatings.

Rogifan
Mar 18, 2013, 04:59 AM
I know it is hard to bring a earthshaking changes later, but i am glad to hear Apple would name it as IOS 6.3 or IOS6.5 than IOS 7. as we known, IOS actually bring few updatings.

Where did you hear that?

sagar4995
Mar 18, 2013, 05:16 AM
i've said it before in other threads. i highly doubt we'll see ios7 this year. not enough time...
if apple plans to release ios 7, i'd assume they'd want to make major changes to the OS, so as to give some justice to the "7".
my prediction - an ios 6.X version... maybe 6.2.
ios 7 = 2014

Feed Me
Mar 18, 2013, 06:17 AM
i've said it before in other threads. i highly doubt we'll see ios7 this year. not enough time...
if apple plans to release ios 7, i'd assume they'd want to make major changes to the OS, so as to give some justice to the "7".
ios 7 = 2014

the fact that iOS 6 exists should tell you that Apple doesn't need to blow your minds with new features to justify a version number change.

iOS 7 will come this year, and it will be previewed at WWDC, then launched in the Autumn alongside the iPhone 5S and a "surprise" feature only available on the new phone.

The UI will feature a few small changes, but will be 98% the same. There will also be lots of changes and additions, with about 5 of them being flagship features. A few people will get angry that Apple again didn't add widgets. Perhaps they will move to Android this time if iOS 8 too lacks widgets. Perhaps.

sagar4995
Mar 18, 2013, 06:24 AM
iOS 7 will come this year, and it will be previewed at WWDC, then launched in the Autumn alongside the iPhone 5S and a "surprise" feature only available on the new phone.

i dont see this happening (for the ios7 part). only time will tell. i may be wrong.

The UI will feature a few small changes, but will be 98% the same. There will also be lots of changes and additions, with about 5 of them being flagship features.

i DEFINATELY dont see this happening!! Lots of changes and additions??? really?? care to elaboreate on these "lots" pls? im curios to know.

MonkeySee....
Mar 18, 2013, 06:46 AM
Im not looking for a MASSIVE OMG overhaul to the iOS UI. But these subtle changes would be nice..

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/009/e/6/idea__search_box_in_settings_app_by_theintenseplayer-d5r07vl.png
http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/018/e/5/improving_on_the_low_battery_alert_by_theintenseplayer-d5rx7ys.png
http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2012/279/3/d/ios_7_concept__dashboard_by_theintenseplayer-d5gzwlt.png

The top two make sense but that Dashboard concept is hideous and is something Apple will never do.

Feed Me
Mar 18, 2013, 07:02 AM
i DEFINATELY dont see this happening!! Lots of changes and additions??? really?? care to elaboreate on these "lots" pls? im curios to know.

iOS 6 has "over 200 new features", as did iOS 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, blah blah.

Only a handful will be large features.

watchthisspace
Mar 18, 2013, 07:08 AM
the fact that iOS 6 exists should tell you that Apple doesn't need to blow your minds with new features to justify a version number change.

The UI will feature a few small changes, but will be 98% the same. There will also be lots of changes and additions, with about 5 of them being flagship features. A few people will get angry that Apple again didn't add widgets. Perhaps they will move to Android this time if iOS 8 too lacks widgets. Perhaps.

This. I really really doubt Apple will break their naming convention trend because Jony Ive is in control.

Jony Ive's influence will slowly show, but it won't be drastic as going from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

The-Real-Deal82
Mar 18, 2013, 07:10 AM

The third example is certainly not something I want to see coming to iOS. I wouldn't mind features like that if added to the pull down bar but I don't want my home screen full of widgets thank you. I want something different to Android personally. :)

Rogifan
Mar 18, 2013, 08:40 AM
Why are people so obsessed with widgets? And if Apple adds them to iOS everyone will say they're so out of ideas they're reduced to ripping off Android.

CTHarrryH
Mar 18, 2013, 09:03 AM
As I've said before and as have many others I don't care about a fancy UI. I want something that delivers applications to me. A lot of IOS 6 etc. is not easily seen but there were tons and tons of changes.
Don't spend your time on fancy screens but on functions.
People will stay with Apple because they like what it does and like how the whole Apple world works together.

Even if it contained everything everyone on this board wanted there would be screams of disappointment when it comes out.

AlphaVictor87
Mar 18, 2013, 10:07 AM
Why are people so obsessed with widgets? And if Apple adds them to iOS everyone will say they're so out of ideas they're reduced to ripping off Android.

Id say they are pretty much out of ideas. One of their new big ideas last year was their own in house mapping with turn by turn. That's not even new technology. The only thing new was the 3D flyover which is a gimmick if anything. Apple was just wanting to do it themselves and it flopped big time.

I would love widgets, which is why i'll be dropping my iPhone and moving to the S4 in June. I love being able to open my nexus 7 and i can see the latest sports score, the weather, my past few emails, upcoming calendar appointments. and i can get all that by not even opening an application.

That's probably why they are obsessed with widgets.

Its getting your information even faster, and that's what people want. Their info right now.

AQUADock
Mar 18, 2013, 10:38 AM
Id say they are pretty much out of ideas. One of their new big ideas last year was their own in house mapping with turn by turn. That's not even new technology. The only thing new was the 3D flyover which is a gimmick if anything. Apple was just wanting to do it themselves and it flopped big time.

No the reason apple made their own maps is because their contract with google was ending and google didn't want to give them features like turn by turn unless it had google branding so apple refused and made their own.

JoEw
Mar 18, 2013, 11:02 AM
I think people don't realize forestall could have made some big changes in IOS7 even before Ive. I'm pretty sure Apple would be able to tell that they are getting stale. Personally, i have no clue what they could add to IOS besides little features here and there.

And no, not widgets -_-

AlphaVictor87
Mar 18, 2013, 11:08 AM
No the reason apple made their own maps is because their contract with google was ending and google didn't want to give them features like turn by turn unless it had google branding so apple refused and made their own.

I never said that their contract ending wasn't the reason. I was saying they wanted to do it themselves and offer a sub-par product instead of working with Google and getting something customers would know and love.

which was stupid on Apple's part, and they paid the price.

roxxette
Mar 18, 2013, 11:10 AM

Not only that but widgets just dont fit with how iOS works other than the classic weather widget you can find on cydia; its time to have a finder icon :cool:

Rogifan
Mar 18, 2013, 12:46 PM

I would love widgets, which is why i'll be dropping my iPhone and moving to the S4 in June. I love being able to open my nexus 7 and i can see the latest sports score, the weather, my past few emails, upcoming calendar appointments. and i can get all that by not even opening an application.

That's probably why they are obsessed with widgets.

Its getting your information even faster, and that's what people want. Their info right now.
Good for you enjoy your S4. I had widgets on an HTC phone and they were such a battery drain. AT&T told me to disable them. I can see why some people would like widgets but I'd love to see Apple come up with something no one is thinking of, not just copy widgets from Android and flat design UI from Microsoft.

TheMTtakeover
Mar 18, 2013, 12:51 PM

I really like the idea of the first two, small changes that make for an overall heightened experience.

AlphaVictor87
Mar 18, 2013, 01:44 PM
Good for you enjoy your S4. I had widgets on an HTC phone and they were such a battery drain. AT&T told me to disable them. I can see why some people would like widgets but I'd love to see Apple come up with something no one is thinking of, not just copy widgets from Android and flat design UI from Microsoft.

I would very much agree with you on that point.

bozzykid
Mar 18, 2013, 01:54 PM

Who said Apple will call them widgets? What ever they call them, they will come to iOS at some point. Whether it is widgets, live tiles, etc, Apple has to bring live information to the homescreen. This is what people have come to expect with all modern mobile operating systems. There is a reason it is being done in WP, Android, and BB 10. People don't want to spend their entire time on a phone opening and closing apps. Sometimes, they just want to glance at their phone to see if there is anything new that needs their attention. I think some people want to say how terrible existing widgets would be in the iOS ecosystem but that is not the only way to bring live information to the homescreen.

Rogifan
Mar 18, 2013, 02:10 PM
I never said that their contract ending wasn't the reason. I was saying they wanted to do it themselves and offer a sub-par product instead of working with Google and getting something customers would know and love.

which was stupid on Apple's part, and they paid the price.
Working with Google so iPhone can become more of a Google phone? Apple plays the long game. And having their own services rather than being tied to Google is a good thing. Especially now that Google is a direct competitor in the smartphone space.

FreeState
Mar 18, 2013, 02:53 PM

Apple doesnt do complete UI makeovers. Look at the history of Apple. OSXs UI is still based and similar to OS 7, 6 etc. Apple builds and pre-existing design and makes subtle changes as it goes.

AlphaVictor87
Mar 18, 2013, 02:56 PM
Working with Google so iPhone can become more of a Google phone? Apple plays the long game. And having their own services rather than being tied to Google is a good thing. Especially now that Google is a direct competitor in the smartphone space.

No but they released an unfinished product. They could have at least extended their contract with google for another year or 2 and then cut them out.

Also from what i understand they still had a year to go, and decided to end the relationship early.

rtomyj
Mar 18, 2013, 03:32 PM
No but they released an unfinished product. They could have at least extended their contract with google for another year or 2 and then cut them out.

Also from what i understand they still had a year to go, and decided to end the relationship early.
Could that one year be for the people still stuck on iOS 5 and below? They believed it was ready, so they released it. Wasn't up to par and they paid the price. They have been fixing it and it has been better than GMaps for me and others.

kevpan815
Mar 18, 2013, 05:58 PM

Why do you guys keep talking about IOS 7 when us Apple Developers still have NOT seen an Update to IOS 6.1.3 Beta 2 For almost a whole month now! Just FYI!

cynics
Mar 18, 2013, 07:04 PM
I don't expect much. The hardware is designed for current software. Even mild advancements will have an impact on the battery.

I wouldnt mind to see an update to ALL the native apps. Then maybe some toggles in the notification center. Fix things that are broke like Facebook notification sounds (I'd blame the app if apple didn't tout about FB integration with iOS 6).

Better email app (attach button for more the pics and video), better message app (time stamps), love of god a better camera roll (DATES, auto organization), better browser (settings in app), better navigation (night mode, avoidances etc), better App Store (faster), better camera (iso, white balance etc), better apple store app (iPad support), etc etc...

If they just took the time to perfect native apps I'd be highly impressed.

bozzykid
Mar 18, 2013, 07:18 PM
Why do you guys keep talking about IOS 7 when us Apple Developers still have NOT seen an Update to IOS 6.1.3 Beta 2 For almost a whole month now! Just FYI!

6.1.3 is just a bug fix update. It isn't a high priority. And the development team working on iOS 7 is not same group issuing bug fix betas to 6.x.

----------

I don't expect much. The hardware is designed for current software. Even mild advancements will have an impact on the battery.

That simply isn't true. There are lots of ways to add features that do not impact battery life. Unless Apple's iOS team is full of a bunch of lazy and uneducated developers, they can add more advanced features without affecting battery life.

cynics
Mar 18, 2013, 09:04 PM
That simply isn't true. There are lots of ways to add features that do not impact battery life. Unless Apple's iOS team is full of a bunch of lazy and uneducated developers, they can add more advanced features without affecting battery life.

There is nothing they can do to make iOS less stale as some would say without using more energy.

I'm not disagreeing with you that features that don't effect battery can't be added. Like defaults, being able to place icons anywhere, file system or all the updates I mentioned in my last post. But none of them are a refresh of iOS, they are things all other mobile OS's already have, no one will be impressed by them.

Kinda like how jail breaking and tweaking up the home screens drains the battery more.

All of apples big updates use a lot of battery (Siri, maps) then was used before there addition. Why do you think them adding more features like that won't use battery, effectively defining physics if you will? Cost more to do more...

Abazigal
Mar 18, 2013, 09:15 PM
iOS 6 has "over 200 new features", as did iOS 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, blah blah.

Only a handful will be large features.

Not really. It's just that every new feature they demo is actually a combination of 7-8 new features. :p

geoluv
Mar 18, 2013, 10:07 PM
Needs a customizable widget board and also maybe mini widget options for notification bar? Some way to sync reminders with google tasks. Blanket ac3 audio license would be nice. Kill all button for the multitask bar. Built in google video chat and google voice but that will never happen. Option to make google maps default again, honestly f@&$ them for taking it away like little toddlers fighting over a sand box. More options for the status bar like date and temp and wifi bar not covering up cell signal indicator. More options in iCloud for what apps/functions use wifi vs cellular and when. Shared photo streams that can have photos added by the people they are shared with, not just the person who made the stream.

Indicator led for the ip5s. Hardware decode for ALL video types.

Bahroo
Mar 18, 2013, 10:34 PM
First of all Apple doesnt have to completly redesign iOS..they can defitnetly change some of the way it looks and functions within months.

cole01
Mar 18, 2013, 10:38 PM
I just want a live weather and clock icon!

SJism23
Mar 18, 2013, 11:03 PM
I just want a live weather and clock icon!

But you can see the time any time by looking at the status bar :confused:

cole01
Mar 18, 2013, 11:06 PM

Yeah, that's true...but I figure if they do the weather one it would be stupid to leave the clock always showing 10:15.

irDigital0l
Mar 18, 2013, 11:07 PM

And can the iPhone get the iPad's Clock icon?

Looks way better...

TennisandMusic
Mar 18, 2013, 11:21 PM
Where did you hear that?

Do you post on Neogaf with this avatar?

SJism23
Mar 18, 2013, 11:29 PM
Yeah, that's true...but I figure if they do the weather one it would be stupid to leave the clock always showing 10:15.

True. Although everyone on here says that live widgets/app icons cost precious battery. Oh well. If there's one innovation I'd like to see from Apple, it'd be in battery tech. Although that's out of the scope of this thread.

Breaking Good
Mar 19, 2013, 05:38 AM
There is nothing they can do to make iOS less stale as some would say without using more energy.

I'm not disagreeing with you that features that don't effect battery can't be added. Like defaults, being able to place icons anywhere, file system or all the updates I mentioned in my last post. But none of them are a refresh of iOS, they are things all other mobile OS's already have, no one will be impressed by them.

Kinda like how jail breaking and tweaking up the home screens drains the battery more.

All of apples big updates use a lot of battery (Siri, maps) then was used before there addition. Why do you think them adding more features like that won't use battery, effectively defining physics if you will? Cost more to do more...

Yep. I added all those fancy widgets to my Moto Droid Razr. Then took them all off when I discovered I couldn't get 24 hours of battery life with light use.

By contrast, my employer issued iPhone 4 easily goes five days on a charge with the same usage pattern as the Razr.

iOS sucks until you actually try to use Android. I can't tell you the number of hours I've spent scouring the Internet trying to every little toggle possible to help improve battery life on this Razr.

Grolubao
Mar 19, 2013, 06:12 AM
I don't get it. We have multiple single developers that create this awesome Jailbreak tweaks and a full team of hundreds of people cannot overhaul iOS?

Dwalls90
Mar 19, 2013, 10:07 AM
iOS 7 will definitely be an overhaul, even if primarily design driven rather than function.

Apple is very capable of rolling out massive changes within a year's time.

j4zb4
Mar 19, 2013, 12:22 PM

YES please the search function for settings... PLEASEEEEEE...

Serban
Mar 19, 2013, 02:25 PM
i think the beginning of the iOS 7 stared some months before the launch of iOS6, so untill june 1 year will pass. So anybody has anynews about the fingerprint feature? link pls

bozzykid
Mar 19, 2013, 03:16 PM

Again, not true. Adding the ability to share with any app uses more battery? Adding the ability to replace app defaults uses more battery? Widgets/live info isn't the only feature that missing that makes iOS stale. And there is a huge difference between using more battery, and using more battery that makes an appreciable difference in daily battery life.

absurdamerica
Mar 19, 2013, 03:34 PM

That's not out of ideas, that's called Apple's grudge match with Google taking a front seat at the customer's expense. They wanted off of Google maps and to quit paying Google for the map licenses ASAP and rushed their Maps as a result.

Rogifan
Mar 19, 2013, 03:44 PM
Do you post on Neogaf with this avatar?

I don't know what Neogaf is.

matttye
Mar 19, 2013, 03:55 PM
It would be hard to be less of an upgrade than iOS6, so I'm expecting more, but I don't think it will be a radical change.

chekz0414
Mar 19, 2013, 05:12 PM
iOS 7 beta 1 might be soon, if you guys look at iOS 3 as an example it went to 3.1.3, and we are on 6.1.3, so 7.0 (if Apple plans to unveil for a June release again) might be soon previewed, I am still awaiting OS X 10.9, which I know 10.8.3 should be the last OS X build since they spent so much time to get it correct and finally release it.

Dwalls90
Mar 19, 2013, 05:29 PM
iOS 7 beta 1 might be soon, if you guys look at iOS 3 as an example it went to 3.1.3, and we are on 6.1.3, so 7.0 (if Apple plans to unveil for a June release again) might be soon previewed, I am still awaiting OS X 10.9, which I know 10.8.3 should be the last OS X build since they spent so much time to get it correct and finally release it.

If the rumors of a return to an earlier/summer iPhone release are true, then likely we will also see iOS 7 earlier than we saw iOS 6 last year.

But for this to happen, then iOS 7 (likely with 10.9) will need to be previewed at an Apple event before the end of April, IMO.

This is also when they will hopefully unveil the new Mac Pros.

TennisandMusic
Mar 19, 2013, 06:50 PM
I don't know what Neogaf is.

Strange, well someone over there likes this avatar then. :p

WhackyNinja
Mar 19, 2013, 10:51 PM
If the rumors of a return to an earlier/summer iPhone release are true, then likely we will also see iOS 7 earlier than we saw iOS 6 last year.

But for this to happen, then iOS 7 (likely with 10.9) will need to be previewed at an Apple event before the end of April, IMO.

This is also when they will hopefully unveil the new Mac Pros.

So I'm guessing something HUGE is coming in April and its not just the Mac Pros. However with OS X 10.9, it COULD be announced at WWDC since they've done it with Snow Leopard, I may be wrong though. For me, right now, April is a safe bet since Apple holds one event in Spring and since an iPad event is out of the question, most likely we will see an iOS/OS X event.

maxosx
Mar 19, 2013, 10:54 PM
With the various personell changes, Apple's deep in transition. I'm sure something good will come of it eventually. These things take time.

sundog925
Mar 20, 2013, 01:31 AM
I echo the widgets comments. I want them! At least give the negative nellies a way to turn them off. But I loved that about android. Getting updated info even like windows mobiles tiles is great too. It's just those OS' are terrible. But man would I love to be up to date like android. The wonder effect has been lost and its time to keep up. The S4 looks amazing and if I wasn't so deep in the apple ecosystem I would switch. Everyone here secretly knows android and Samsung are out doing iOS and apple, they just don't want to accept it. I just wish apple would listen to consumers more instead of force a tyrannical, Orwellian OS on us.

roxxette
Mar 20, 2013, 02:44 AM
I echo the widgets comments. I want them! At least give the negative nellies a way to turn them off. But I loved that about android. Getting updated info even like windows mobiles tiles is great too. It's just those OS' are terrible. But man would I love to be up to date like android. The wonder effect has been lost and its time to keep up. The S4 looks amazing and if I wasn't so deep in the apple ecosystem I would switch. Everyone here secretly knows android and Samsung are out doing iOS and apple, they just don't want to accept it. I just wish apple would listen to consumers more instead of force a tyrannical, Orwellian OS on us.

You will never see widgets on the current ios form like you can enjoy on android os, it just dont flow and i dare to say that current screen size of the iphone 5 and 4/s just wont allow a proper field for it.

They sure as hell wont waste time with clock and weather widgets, you allready haventhe time on the status bar plus a weather widget on the notification center, i rather they open api for it so whe can see developer have a share of that.

Hephaestus
Mar 20, 2013, 06:20 AM
This looks awesome!!

MonkeySee....
Mar 20, 2013, 06:52 AM
This looks awesome!!

In opposite world.

CTHarrryH
Mar 20, 2013, 08:09 AM
This looks awesome!!

Not to me - instead of having a lot of applications on a page it has big pictures - don't want - no thanks.
I want applications and not fancy screens.

I'll bet if someone actually listed all the things that were introduced in ios6 there'd be a huge number of significant changes and not only a failed map application.
Apple and Google are no more going to get along than the different political parties in the US. Neither group is interested in anything except being able to claim(whether true or not) that they won.

bozzykid
Mar 20, 2013, 10:05 AM

Where Apple is with the current stable bug fix releases has nothing to do when they are going to roll out a major update. The same development team isn't the same one working on the bug fix releases. More than likely the time frame has more to do when the new iPhone is rolling out.

Brother Esau
Mar 20, 2013, 11:14 AM
This looks awesome!!

Does not look like it would be great on battery life. Although I must admit it does look rather appealing but at a cost no doubt.

nepalisherpa
Mar 20, 2013, 11:31 AM
This looks awesome!!

Honestly, that looks horrible. Sorry!

TheRainKing
Mar 20, 2013, 11:33 AM
To be honest, I don't really need them to overhaul the entire look and feel of iOS for me to be happy. In my opinion, if you have a good user interface, sometimes it's best to just keep it as it is, and only change things when you think of a good idea. Look at OS X for example... OS X hasn't changed much in terms of look and feel since it was introduced over 10 years ago. What they have done is they have tweaked things here and there to make it look nicer and run smoother and that's all that iOS really needs. If iOS 7 just looks a little bit nicer and carries at least a couple of useful features, I will probably be happy.

phillytim
Mar 20, 2013, 11:46 AM
And then they'll be b#tching about sucky battery life.

Welcome to widgets and dead batteries, the Android way of life! ;-)

Frankied22
Mar 20, 2013, 12:30 PM
Honestly, iOS 7 will probably not have any of these. Apple is not going to drastically alter anything because millions of people use their devices and they cater more to the casual user than the techie user.

I jailbroke my iPhone 5 and was amazed to find out I could get elegant solutions to most of these problems now. Today. All I had to do was download evasion, plug in my phone, and hit one button. I now have simple toggles in my notification center than resemble something Apple would do themselves with NC Settings. I have a better multitasking solution with Auxo. I have gesture controls with Zephyr. I can swipe up from anywhere to reveal the multitasking tray. I can swipe between open apps. With iFile I have a file manager even though I hardly use it. And with safari download manager I can download files through safari. All of these do not look ugly and look like a solution Apple would have come up with. My battery is the same and my phone has not crashed once.

HeyKatie
Mar 20, 2013, 06:37 PM
I just want better battery life!

TriJetHero
Mar 20, 2013, 06:45 PM

iOS 7 is already in testing since end of last year, so the reference to 6 months is kinda unreliable.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/01/2013-iphone-and-ios-7-already-appearing-in-developers-logs/

bozzykid
Mar 20, 2013, 10:17 PM
iOS 7 is already in testing since end of last year, so the reference to 6 months is kinda unreliable.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/01/2013-iphone-and-ios-7-already-appearing-in-developers-logs/

6 months seems about right. By the time there is an announcement and beta, Apple has already had a feature freeze for quite a while. The roadmap was set a long time ago.

MatthaiosSaraj
Mar 21, 2013, 05:23 AM
Apple should add more gestures to ios. Why do i need to use buttons for actions that could be accomplished with swipes (1,2,3 fingers, swipe from edge)

TC03
Mar 21, 2013, 06:33 AM
People really should stop wanting change just for the sake of change. iOS is extremely elegant yet powerful. It should only be changed for the sake of improvement, not for the sake of change.

Every iPhone so far has become the best selling smartphone to date, this is largely due to the OS. Apple should be extremely cautious changing that.

I, for one, love iOS the way it is. I think it can be improved, but not by adding more quick toggles or widgets or whatevers. That's just gimmicky nonsense.

SONiC5
Mar 21, 2013, 08:40 AM
I'm no software expert, but would it really take more than 6 months for a couple of improvements/changes?

Also, he could've been working on iOS for more than 6 months, how would anyone outside of Apple know?

bozzykid
Mar 21, 2013, 10:46 AM
People really should stop wanting change just for the sake of change. iOS is extremely elegant yet powerful.

Is it really powerful? You can't share to any app (makes the OS limited). Notification center is a joke (Android's rich notification system makes iOS seem so limited). Sure, iOS is really good. But there are lots of changes they can make that can improve the OS and make it easier to use.

TC03
Mar 21, 2013, 05:27 PM
Is it really powerful? You can't share to any app (makes the OS limited). Notification center is a joke (Android's rich notification system makes iOS seem so limited). Sure, iOS is really good. But there are lots of changes they can make that can improve the OS and make it easier to use.You can share to apps. I can open PDF's from Dropbox to Adobe Reader, iAnnotate or even Google Drive. What do you mean exactly?

Second, rich notifications are not necessarily better. They're just richer, but also more distracting. I don't see how iOS notifications fall short, they provide all the info one could possible want to push.

Third, I think the existence of lock screen notification is MUCH more important than the lack of rich notifications. Lock screens notifications are, in my opinion, essential to a good a notification system and Android lacks good lock screen notifications. Overall, the iOS notification system is superior.

dontpannic
Mar 21, 2013, 05:30 PM
You can share to apps. I can open PDF's from Dropbox to Adobe Reader, iAnnotate or even Google Drive. What do you mean exactly?

Second, rich notifications are not necessarily better. They're just richer, but also more distracting. I don't see how iOS notifications fall short, they provide all the info one could possible want to push.

Third, I think the existence of lock screen notification is MUCH more important than the lack of rich notifications. Lock screens notifications are, in my opinion, essential to a good a notification system and Android lacks good lock screen notifications. Overall, the iOS notification system is superior.

This.

bozzykid
Mar 21, 2013, 05:36 PM
You can share to apps. I can open PDF's from Dropbox to Adobe Reader, iAnnotate or even Google Drive. What do you mean exactly?

Open the photos app and try sharing a photo to any app. How do you do that? On Android, any app can plug into sharing of any file type. It is very useful.

Notification center is terrible. I have notifications stuck there forever even though they have been read. And don't even get me started on the X button that is almost impossible to click on. Why can't you just easily swipe them away? Apple makes it so difficult.

Email notifications provide virtually no information because they can't be expanded. Missed phone calls do not let you choose an action. On Android you can choose to message back or call back directly from the notification. That isn't distracting, its just a time saver. Having music controls in the notification center is a million times better than double clicking the home button and swiping left. Plus, they are able to have album art which makes the song more identifiable.

cynics
Mar 21, 2013, 05:59 PM
Again, not true. Adding the ability to share with any app uses more battery? Adding the ability to replace app defaults uses more battery? Widgets/live info isn't the only feature that missing that makes iOS stale. And there is a huge difference between using more battery, and using more battery that makes an appreciable difference in daily battery life.

I said, anything Apple does to make iOS less stale will use more energy.

You come at me with the ability to set defaults and a properly functioning sharing system?!?!

That is your refresh to make iOS less stale? Adding features that other mobile os's have had for over half a decade?

Gimme a break, that's no refresh. That's boring! They are gonna have to do a lot better then that to keep me awake through the keynotes.

I still stand by what I said either power consumption.

SJism23
Mar 21, 2013, 06:06 PM
Update: it seems like Ive may actually have influence over a new design direction for iOS. Supposedly, he's pushing for a more 'flat' design, which means more simplicity and less skeuomorphism. What do you guys think about this?

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/21/jony-ive-pushing-for-flat-design-in-ios-7-amid-greater-hardware-software-design-collaboration/

bozzykid
Mar 21, 2013, 06:08 PM
I said, anything Apple does to make iOS less stale will use more energy.

You come at me with the ability to set defaults and a properly functioning sharing system?!?!

That is your refresh to make iOS less stale? Adding features that other mobile os's have had for over half a decade?

There's a reason other mobile operating systems have those features. And yes, that will make Apple less stale. Your battery argument does not hold water. There's a lot of features that can be added that do not add to battery usage. It seems like you are saying Apple can not ever add features again in the history of Apple's existence because it might affect battery usage. These days, the biggest drain of the battery is caused by screen on time. The reason is operating systems and processors have become much more efficient.

Cody21
Mar 21, 2013, 06:39 PM
I wasn't expecting anything big for iOS 7 due to the short amount of time from Scott Forstall being let go. Although, I was expecting maybe a small change or some sort, and according to rumors the "flat" design will be the small change.

cynics
Mar 21, 2013, 06:41 PM
There's a reason other mobile operating systems have those features. And yes, that will make Apple less stale. Your battery argument does not hold water. There's a lot of features that can be added that do not add to battery usage. It seems like you are saying Apple can not ever add features again in the history of Apple's existence because it might affect battery usage. These days, the biggest drain of the battery is caused by screen on time. The reason is operating systems and processors have become much more efficient.

It SEEMS like I'm saying that because you cut small portions of my post out as quotes. Aka you are hearing what you want to hear.

Firstly I'm talking about current devices. The battery is static and can not be upgraded. We are talking about iOS 7 not future iPhones with bigger and/or more advanced battery where a million features can be added and still get a days usage.

Secondly, there are very very very few features that can be added that don't use power. Do not disturb, because you save on he screen lighting up and ring/vibrate which apple already implemented. And call blocking for the same reasons.

Third. Even apple cannot define physics believe it or not. Everything that does anything requires energy. Even the alarm clock uses some minute level of power.

Fourth and is a part you cut out. Every feature apple has ever added uses more power then it did prior to that feature. Some features only use power when they are active but regardless they still use more power. Do you think when you get to the airport and passbook brings up your boarding pass that all happened off magical fairy dust and not the battery in the phone? The app was using the GPS to tell where you were, it was using the processor and all the phones hardware to pull up the proper boarding pass, it was blasting the screen at max brightness so the pass would scan. Same applies to Siri, hold the phone to your head to activate Siri which most people turn off btw to CONVERSE BATTERY.

People are talking about an overhaul of iOS to make it fresh and new. I would like to see that but like I originally said (not sure if you quoted or cut it out) I don't see that being possible on the current hardware (no mention of future versions).

Then I went on to say what I think they should update. which you did cut out. Which were things like you mentioned, just minor updates and perfecting native apps. But I'm a realist I'm under no delusions that adding defaults or things like that will make iOS less stale, that's what they have been doing since the very beginning! Why would all of a sudden people say "Wow! Minor updates iOS is so fresh and cutting edge now!"?

bozzykid
Mar 21, 2013, 07:36 PM
Firstly I'm talking about current devices. The battery is static and can not be upgraded.

So Apple isn't working to make the software more efficient? If they aren't, they are probably the only OS development team that isn't. You are acting like software only gets more bloated when features are added. In fact, by adding more features, often the process allows for more efficient core system features to be added as well.

QuarterSwede
Mar 21, 2013, 07:58 PM
Open the photos app and try sharing a photo to any app. How do you do that? On Android, any app can plug into sharing of any file type. It is very useful.
Tap Edit > Select Photo > Tap Share. A share sheet comes up. I'll say one thing, it's not as consistent with what apps appear as I'd like from app to app but it's miles better than sharing was in iOS 5.

Notification center is terrible. I have notifications stuck there forever even though they have been read. And don't even get me started on the X button that is almost impossible to click on. Why can't you just easily swipe them away? Apple makes it so difficult.
I've never had one get stuck, not saying you haven't, and I'll agree that the X has way too small of a target. I don't use the Notification Center all that often. The Lockscreen notifications are killer though. That I use multiple times a day, especially at work. I'm not familiar with Android that much but if it doesn't have that that's a deal breaker for me.

Email notifications provide virtually no information because they can't be expanded. Missed phone calls do not let you choose an action. On Android you can choose to message back or call back directly from the notification. That isn't distracting, its just a time saver. Having music controls in the notification center is a million times better than double clicking the home button and swiping left. Plus, they are able to have album art which makes the song more identifiable.
How is that a time saver? You tap on the notification and it takes you to exactly where the message/whatever is. Of course, I can't stand the BiteSMS widget (jailbroken app) because I just don't see the point. iOS switches apps so quickly there is no point to single widgets (only one on the screen).

WhackyNinja
Mar 21, 2013, 11:31 PM
Update: it seems like Ive may actually have influence over a new design direction for iOS. Supposedly, he's pushing for a more 'flat' design, which means more simplicity and less skeuomorphism. What do you guys think about this?

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/21/jony-ive-pushing-for-flat-design-in-ios-7-amid-greater-hardware-software-design-collaboration/

Flat Design? Sounds interesting. Any new UI update to iOS is welcomed!

omenatarhuri
Mar 22, 2013, 01:46 AM

These make a lot of sense. Nice to see somebody actually produce concrete suggestions rather than generally shouting away at 'outdated UIs'.

Personally, I don't think Apple will risk radical changes with 500M installed base. For most users it's better to be predictable and understandable than flashy and feature-packed. On the web we see the enthusiasts and reality get distorted. Of course it's great if one can please both customer groups.

ravenvii
Mar 22, 2013, 07:45 AM
Tap Edit > Select Photo > Tap Share. A share sheet comes up. I'll say one thing, it's not as consistent with what apps appear as I'd like from app to app but it's miles better than sharing was in iOS 5.

I can't send photos from the Photo app to Dropbox. Why not?

That's app sharing.

(And before you say "but you can upload the photo from within Dropbox!", that's not the point, at all)

cynics
Mar 22, 2013, 10:08 AM
So Apple isn't working to make the software more efficient? If they aren't, they are probably the only OS development team that isn't. You are acting like software only gets more bloated when features are added. In fact, by adding more features, often the process allows for more efficient core system features to be added as well.

I couldn't help from laugh at this comment after what I previously posted.

But yes, once again, I covered this in previous post where I said the software is designed for the hardware. If they are working so hard to make iOS more efficient why hasn't it? How many years and versions do you think it will take them? Only thing making the iDevices more efficient is more efficient hardware. Note the colossal battery in the iPad 3 and 4, the slight gains in battery life of the iPad 4 are directly related to more efficient hardware vs the iPad 3. You should call Apple and tell them they are doing it wrong, stop investing millions into more efficient hardware and just make iOS more efficient in house. The fact is its as efficient as its going to get using the current hardware it uses.

BTW I think its a very power efficient OS the trade off is some people have begun to think its stale. You'll need to add to it and expand on it for people to think its fresh. Which once again takes me to where we started, its going to have to consume a bit or even a lot more power to do so. AND I don't think it has the battery to do that and still be up to Apples standards when it comes to battery life.

ChadMobley
Mar 22, 2013, 03:14 PM
I think if we look at the more recently released Apple made apps such as iPhoto, we can see a better look as to how the entire OS may be headed in regards to sharing and the "flat" look. Given, some of the esthetics of the app are still that skeuomorphic design I think we can understand that the less colorful icons now in silver may spread throughout iOS.

levander
Mar 22, 2013, 03:55 PM
On the comments about Ives only having his new duties for 6 months. It has been 6 months since Apple announced it. But inside the company, they had to have known well before the announcement what they were going to do. Was it one month before, was it 6 months before? No idea. But they decided what they were gonna do, starting making changes, then look at their calendar of events and picked what they thought a good time to announce it would be.

----------

And, a lot of the features I'm dying for are already available as hacks in Cydia. It's not like they'd have to rewrite the operating system to get them in.

Isn't iOS 7 betas already available to developers? Why aren't we hearing what features are and are not available in iOS 7?

Kyotoma
Mar 22, 2013, 04:53 PM
Isn't iOS 7 betas already available to developers? Why aren't we hearing what features are and are not available in iOS 7?

No. If they were we would definitely hear about it on the front page.

canucksfan88
Mar 22, 2013, 06:15 PM
This looks awesome!!

I would like that on the "search page." make the search spotlight a widget and have that entire page customizable with widgets. Though I would like the weather app on the home screen.

QuarterSwede
Mar 23, 2013, 09:33 AM
I can't send photos from the Photo app to Dropbox. Why not?

That's app sharing.

(And before you say "but you can upload the photo from within Dropbox!", that's not the point, at all)
Hence why I said it wasn't as consistent as I'd like.

TheAaron
Mar 23, 2013, 11:50 AM
I need new features not new design i want it too just work

Bahroo
Mar 23, 2013, 12:14 PM
I hope they do little things like remove the black bars in Photo when your scrolling to provide more screen estate(would obviously come back with a tap on the screen or some sort) and in Safari aswell with the bottom blue bar, i wish that would hide when you scroll so that they can make more efficient use of the screen.

Little things like that would be extremely welcomed

ManicMarc
Mar 23, 2013, 06:14 PM

Agreed, what's the big deal? Weather widgets especially - I mean do people really spend all day checking the weather? On my old Android phone I only ever used widgets to micromanage the WiFi, Cellular data settings, and volume but I don't need to do that on my iPhone since is has great battery life with all the radios on, and there's a mute switch built in.

The iOS lock screen/notification centre is there to tell you about updates to content. Widgets are not needed IMO.

Having said that, 'technically' iOS has always had widgets, go back and watch the 2007 Jobs keynote: he calls the stocks and weather apps widgets.

----------

People really should stop wanting change just for the sake of change. iOS is extremely elegant yet powerful. It should only be changed for the sake of improvement, not for the sake of change.

Every iPhone so far has become the best selling smartphone to date, this is largely due to the OS. Apple should be extremely cautious changing that.

I, for one, love iOS the way it is. I think it can be improved, but not by adding more quick toggles or widgets or whatevers. That's just gimmicky nonsense.

Agreed - if people want change, they should go and buy a Surface RT. Apparently most (non-geeks, i.e. non of us) don't like change so much.

Badrottie
Mar 23, 2013, 06:15 PM
iOS 7 will not change that much maybe few little changes. Apple can't copy or steal idea out of Samsung's Android creatives. :apple:

ManicMarc
Mar 23, 2013, 06:18 PM
Is it really powerful? You can't share to any app (makes the OS limited). Notification center is a joke (Android's rich notification system makes iOS seem so limited). Sure, iOS is really good. But there are lots of changes they can make that can improve the OS and make it easier to use.

Generic sharing to any app is not the holy grail of a mobile operating system. I remember when I went to share a link on my Android phone and a list of about 50 apps came up, including Dropbox and a File Manager! I wanted to send an email..

Abazigal
Mar 23, 2013, 09:36 PM

Why do you think android phones are getting larger? It is exactly because their OSes are so resource-hungry that they literally need all that space for more specs and a much larger battery. If anything, I would argue that it is Android who has less incentive to go this route. Why bother investing resources into making it more efficient when you know OEMs can just pump specs into their phones?

The fact that the iphone5 can support battery-draining features like LTE while still stay the same volume (more or less) is testament to how efficient IOS was remained.

Squilly
Mar 23, 2013, 09:54 PM

Love the third one.

ManicMarc
Mar 24, 2013, 04:00 AM

A new battery alert, searching settings, and a half-assed copy of OS X's widgets - if that were all the new features in iOS 7 Apple WOULD be in trouble!

Here's what I'd like:

- API to allow apps to schedule long-running tasks overnight (when plugged in) such as downloading new podcasts or Dropbox backing up my photos.
- Automatic app updates (with user option to switch off)
- Shared iTunes accounts - when I buy something, my partner should be able to play it on her device without resorting to logging in and out of iTunes.
- Ability to block unknown callers
- Offline Siri - it shouldn't need to connect to the Internet to set an alarm
- FaceTime without the face part (some people don't want to see me!)
- Ability to turn off iMessage for one person
- Google Now style traffic alerts (either to home, or my next meeting) - that really is where Android beats iOS, not gimmicky widgets.
- Remote app with the ability to control music on another iOS device. At the moment I have to boot my laptop, and wait 10 minutes for iTunes to start - would be great I could dock my iPad and then change music from my iPhone.

roxxette
Mar 24, 2013, 04:08 AM
A new battery alert, searching settings, and a half-assed copy of OS X's widgets - if that were all the new features in iOS 7 Apple WOULD be in trouble!

Here's what I'd like:

- API to allow apps to schedule long-running tasks overnight (when plugged in) such as downloading new podcasts or Dropbox backing up my photos.
- Shared iTunes accounts - when I buy something, my partner should be able to play it on her device without resorting to logging in and out of iTunes.
- Google Now style traffic alerts (either to home, or my next meeting) - that really is where Android beats iOS, not gimmicky widgets.
- Remote app with the ability to control music on another iOS device. At the moment I have to boot my laptop, and wait 10 minutes for iTunes to start - would be great I could dock my iPad and then change music from my iPhone.

The block calls option is something a really miss from "dumb phones"

frozzbite
Mar 24, 2013, 09:07 AM
Just 2 things I would like to see in iOS 7.

1. Widgets. Something like the one shared by one of the posters. *Not from me http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2012/279/3/d/ios_7_concept__dashboard_by_theintenseplayer-d5gzwlt.png

2. Screen brightness adjustment in multitasking bar.
If you were to bring up multitasking and swipe to the left twice, you will see the volume slider. I don't get it. Why would I need/want to adjust the volume there when I already have the volume rocker buttons! Now wouldn't it be more intuitive if that slider adjusted the brightness instead?

Well, every year we are hopeful, every year we get very marginal changes.
In a way I really do understand where they are coming from, especially when I can't imagine my parents dealing with major changes in the iOS homescreen. oh the horrors of teaching them something new....

Regardless, I am hopeful again this year.:)

Abazigal
Mar 24, 2013, 09:11 AM
Here's what I'd like:

You can technically facetime without the face by simply pressing the home button while in a video call. Or basically, making a voice call using data. :o

T'hain Esh Kelch
Mar 24, 2013, 09:12 AM
You mean voice calling? The iPhone can do that!

maxosx
Mar 24, 2013, 10:14 AM
Apple can sell anything. That's how they get by selling old tech. Think of all the low res screens they dumped for big money simply by putting them on mini iPads. It's how they get so filthy rich while the fans brag about everything Apple does.

In due time and at a price only Apple can command they eventually get around to including current tech. :)

bozzykid
Mar 24, 2013, 10:43 AM
Generic sharing to any app is not the holy grail of a mobile operating system. I remember when I went to share a link on my Android phone and a list of about 50 apps came up, including Dropbox and a File Manager! I wanted to send an email..

I don't think many people have that many apps installed on their phone that support sharing. And like in Android Jelly Bean, when you go to share, it only shows your most recent apps you used by default (and lets you expand for more). So it is not overwhelming.

ManicMarc
Mar 24, 2013, 03:25 PM
You can technically facetime without the face by simply pressing the home button while in a video call. Or basically, making a voice call using data. :o

Yes, I know that - however the act of 'FaceTiming' someone shows an intent to use a camera - not everyone wants this all the time. An option to answer without camera and to use the internal microphone normally used for calls is needed still.

----------

You mean voice calling? The iPhone can do that!

Oh, so no need for Skype et al then!

----------

Just 2 things I would like to see in iOS 7.

1. Widgets. Something like the one shared by one of the posters. *Not from me http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2012/279/3/d/ios_7_concept__dashboard_by_theintenseplayer-d5gzwlt.png

2. Screen brightness adjustment in multitasking bar.
If you were to bring up multitasking and swipe to the left twice, you will see the volume slider. I don't get it. Why would I need/want to adjust the volume there when I already have the volume rocker buttons! Now wouldn't it be more intuitive if that slider adjusted the brightness instead?

The default setting for the volume rockers are to change the ringer volume, not the media volume (unless media is playing) - so I use this shortcut quite a lot just before launching a game or something in a public place.
Agreed it should be there, maybe just another swipe along to the left.

KieranDotW
Mar 24, 2013, 06:17 PM

As far as widgets go, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D96TDxXRDgc) is all we'd ever want/need IMO. I also think it's the most likely to happen -- not necessarily for iOS 7, and not necessarily ever going to happen, I'm just saying if anything widget-like ever comes to iOS, this is probably what it would be most like.

Abazigal
Mar 25, 2013, 06:23 AM
Apple can sell anything. That's how they get by selling old tech. Think of all the low res screens they dumped for big money simply by putting them on mini iPads. It's how they get so filthy rich while the fans brag about everything Apple does.

In due time and at a price only Apple can command they eventually get around to including current tech. :)
They are getting away with it exactly because they are able to repackage old tech in a way that the end product is not any inferior to the competition, whose only recourse is to play the spec card as their key selling point.

I think it is saying a lot when a 1.5 year-old tech is selling so much better than what the competitors are churning out...:p

lamerica80
Mar 25, 2013, 09:08 AM
Shortcuts would be nice..

For example, i would like to add a shortcut to the brightness settings.

TriJetHero
Mar 25, 2013, 05:36 PM

Use swipebright, works brilliantly!

ManicMarc
Mar 28, 2013, 02:59 PM

No No No! The moment iOS starts being geared towards the sort of person that micromanages their brightness all day, it starts failing for normal people. Android might be a better choice if you want to change the brightness quickly, I'd rather Apple improve auto-brightness, since that's what most people use.

Arelunde
Mar 29, 2013, 04:08 PM
Who said Apple will call them widgets? What ever they call them, they will come to iOS at some point. Whether it is widgets, live tiles, etc, Apple has to bring live information to the homescreen. This is what people have come to expect with all modern mobile operating systems. There is a reason it is being done in WP, Android, and BB 10. People don't want to spend their entire time on a phone opening and closing apps. Sometimes, they just want to glance at their phone to see if there is anything new that needs their attention. I think some people want to say how terrible existing widgets would be in the iOS ecosystem but that is not the only way to bring live information to the homescreen.

Oh, I SOOO agree with this. The concept of a static home page is old old old. Mac computers don't limit home screens to app icons - why should the iDevices? It doesn't have to be "copying" Android and thus unacceptable to Apple. It's more like keeping up.

We don't still work with command streams on alpha-numeric black screens with green type. The capability is there - why should we have to jailbreak our (very) expensive iDevices to get such basic capabilities? Home screen display arrangements should be decided by the user. ... including the option to place icons at will and not according to a mandatory snap-to grid.

Tyrion
Mar 30, 2013, 05:40 PM
I want them to implement this (sorry if it's already been posted): http://youtu.be/GIQ_1h9hGGY

BSben
Mar 30, 2013, 05:52 PM
So many people are gagging for widgets, OS X had widgets for quite some time, but to be honest I donīt use them much these days. I do like them, but I hardly use them. A waste of resources it seems. Why would a phone be different? Yes we look at the first screen, but do we REALLY pay attention to the screen? We see the weather by looking out of the window, and we are to some extend aware of the time too.
Widgets are really not needed, a waste of space and processing power.

Teste
Mar 30, 2013, 05:55 PM
I have never seen an interesting widget. The weather widgets are not really useful, and I doubt anyone really wants to know how the weather will be all the time. I wish I could understand why people obsess with them, but my conclusion is that it has no logical explanation.

I would like a better keyboard (with something like that SwipeSelection jailbreak), plus better customization options (accepting new icon designs and new themes). Doubt we'll get either any time soon, but...

Tyrion
Mar 30, 2013, 06:13 PM
So many people are gagging for widgets, OS X had widgets for quite some time, but to be honest I donīt use them much these days. I do like them, but I hardly use them. A waste of resources it seems. Why would a phone be different? Yes we look at the first screen, but do we REALLY pay attention to the screen? We see the weather by looking out of the window, and we are to some extend aware of the time too.

You shouldn't compare iOS to OS X in this regard. When I unlock my iPhone I'd love to be greeted by a screen full of relevant, live-updating information of my choosing instead of a static grid of apps which is of no particular use.

Abazigal
Mar 30, 2013, 08:32 PM
You shouldn't compare iOS to OS X in this regard. When I unlock my iPhone I'd love to be greeted by a screen full of relevant, live-updating information of my choosing instead of a static grid of apps which is of no particular use.

Well, when I do unlock my phone, it is so I can go into an app as quickly as possible to do what it is I want to do. In this aspect, I feel that a grid icons is way more practical. :)

irDigital0l
Mar 30, 2013, 08:35 PM
I'm not expecting anything special like a total revamp, widgets, better multitasking, new API, etc.

Judging by previous iOS releases, these are almost certain with new features:
-Safari improvements (iOS 4, iOS 5, iOS 6)
-Mail improvements (iOS 5, iOS 6)
-Siri improvements (iOS 5, iOS 5.1, iOS 6, iOS 6.1)

I think we will see Maps 2 to fix and add a lot to Apple's Maps. WWDC would be a really good places to reshow Maps.

Camera and Photos might get new features similar to what the Galaxy S4 got.

FaceTime got cellular support in iOS 6, it might get group call in iOS 7. Would work on both OS X and iOS as Apple is bridging them closer.

Apple always announces one or two new apps. iOS 4 we got Game Center and FaceTime. iOS 5 we got Newsstand and Reminders. iOS 6 we got Passbook. iOS 7 will probably follow suite.

Apple also always has a major new feature. In iOS 4 it was Multitasking, iOS 5 it was Notification Center, iOS 6 was new Maps.

Then Apple usually has a couple smaller updates like Game Center in iOS 5 or Phone in iOS 6. Apple also begin integrating social network sites into iOS like Facebook and Twitter.

So the ten major new features so far:
1. Safari improvements
2. Mail improvements
3. Siri improvements
4. Maps improvements
5. Camera/Photo improvements
6. FaceTime with group chat
7. New app like Reminders in iOS 5 or Passbook in iOS 6
8. Major feature like Multitasking in iOS 4 or Notification Center in iOS 5
9. Some sort of integration like Twitter in iOS 5 or Facebook in iOS 6, maybe Foursquare
10. Could be some features for Calendar, Notes, Game Center, Accessibility. Things like those, nothing that big.

This is pretty much my expectations.

WhackyNinja
Mar 30, 2013, 08:42 PM
I'm not expecting anything special like a total revamp, widgets, better multitasking, new API, etc.

Judging by previous iOS releases, these are almost certain with new features:
-Safari improvements (iOS 4, iOS 5, iOS 6)
-Mail improvements (iOS 5, iOS 6)
-Siri improvements (iOS 5, iOS 5.1, iOS 6, iOS 6.1)

....I am predicting this now. March 30th 2013. 9:42 PM EST. Someone is going to say. When iOS 7 Beta 1 comes out. "Safari seems snappier"

Dmunjal
Mar 30, 2013, 08:43 PM
Well, when I do unlock my phone, it is so I can go into an app as quickly as possible to do what it is I want to do. In this aspect, I feel that a grid icons is way more practical. :)

You can still have that grid if you want. Or widgets. Or a mix or both. Why limit yourself?

Abazigal
Mar 30, 2013, 08:53 PM
You can still have that grid if you want. Or widgets. Or a mix or both. Why limit yourself?

Apple has never been known for offering many options. If they do not believe a feature will be widely adopted, then they are not going to invest the resources towards implementing it.

Thus, if apple does introduce widgets, it will likely be "all-in", and less so an option if whether you want it or not.

WhackyNinja
Mar 30, 2013, 08:57 PM
Also something I would like in iOS is that they need to make Notification Center with a transparent background.

That backdrop in the NC really looks ugly I think. It only works with Siri and Multitasking...but not NC

Claefer
Mar 30, 2013, 09:39 PM
Personally, I hoping for brushed metal.

Jimmy James
Mar 30, 2013, 11:07 PM
I've been saying this for a while now. Jony can't step into a second department and release a new OS months later. Any significant changes would have already been planned.

heyyoudvd
Mar 30, 2013, 11:28 PM
Ive has a fantastic eye for design, but when it comes to aesthetics, he's no Steve Jobs. In other words, I trust Ive to make the software extremely functional and intuitive, but when it comes to making it look nice, I'm a little more worried.

Recent Apple release have worried me in the looks department, For example, iTunes 11 works extremely well, but it looks far too barren. White space is good, but I think Apple went overboard there. When I'm looking at the 'Artist' or 'Genre' views, for example, they look far too empty and plain.

I'm worried that Ive will make iOS boring to look at by going too far in making it 'flat' and removing all the visual touches. I hope he can find the right balance between Forstall's kitsch and the flat boringness of Windows 8.

Tyrion
Mar 31, 2013, 03:33 AM

There's an easy solution that would please everyone: Apple could turn the spotlight area into "Dashboard", i. e. make it a place where you can put live-updating widgets. They should allow users to completely disable this feature if they'd rather stick with the classic spotlight page in springboard, BUT they should also allow users to set the Dashboard as their actual home screen, so that they'd have to swipe left after unlocking to get to the app grid. That way, everyone can customize their experience to their liking: those who don't care about widgets can turn Dashboard off (just like I can turn off Siri, for example), those who do care can use Dashboard but stick to the classic app grid as their home screen, and those who prefer widgets to static icons can set Dashboard as their home screen.

Ooooor Apple could just implement that "resizable icons" concept (http://youtu.be/GIQ_1h9hGGY) I posted, which would even negate the need for a "Dashboard". That would be a very elegant solution.

----------

Apple has never been known for offering many options. If they do not believe a feature will be widely adopted, then they are not going to invest the resources towards implementing it.

Thus, if apple does introduce widgets, it will likely be "all-in", and less so an option if whether you want it or not.

Then why can I toggle Siri? Come on, it's not like they never offer any choice at all. They just usually do it in a very seamless way.

sulpfiction
Mar 31, 2013, 11:59 AM
iOS works. It's not stale. Does it need some upgrades? For sure! But the overall UI isn't going to change for a long time. People just get bored and want something different for no good reason. Expect the same basic layout in iOS 7, 8 & 9 with smaller updates & new features along the way.

maxosx
Mar 31, 2013, 12:10 PM
iOS 6.1.3 is working quite well for me. When Apple consistently improves & refines its products, everyone benefits.

Conversely it's when they get scattered as it seems they may (or may not) be at the present, that results in uncertainty for the enthusiast, but huge profits for Apple.

It seems that no matter what, Apple keeps raking in the money. It's amazing how skilled they are when it comes to influence & profit taking.

Brother Esau
Mar 31, 2013, 12:13 PM
Flat design is the worst thing that they can do to the iPhone. As a website designer and coder, I think that flat design sucks!

charlituna
Mar 31, 2013, 01:32 PM
ios 7 = 2014

They have had no issues not making major changes the years they released iOS 4, 5 or 6 so your assumption could be wrong.

charlituna
Mar 31, 2013, 01:50 PM

Don't see anything in those three that is really that needed or amazing. So when they aren't included, I won't be bummed out

----------

I think people don't realize forestall could have made some big changes in IOS7 even before Ive. -

That's a good point, we don't know what the plan was before Forstall got the boot so who knows how much is sticking to that plan, or changing it

And remember that geeks like the folks around here are not the target audience. The other 95% are. And they tend to love consistency cause they get scared of having to relearn things. So total overhauls are unlikely. Under the hood stability etc is more likely

jaymzuk
Mar 31, 2013, 01:50 PM

But the flip side of that would be that the average user probably only uses a limited number of apps on a regular basis.

Showing user defined information feeds from facebook, twitter, new sites etc. could potentially be quicker than the current grid system.

I'd kill for that cool settings widget from Android to switch on/off wifi, bluetooth etc. It was a shame that the HTC desire was pretty meh.

The point is 'is choice bad'? At what point does having a grand creative vision of how people should use technology become treating customers like idiots?

charlituna
Mar 31, 2013, 01:52 PM
Who said Apple will call them widgets? What ever they call them, they will come to iOS at some point. Whether it is widgets, live tiles, etc, Apple has to bring live information to the homescreen.

No they do not have to. And if they feel it is the wrong move for their target audience they won't.

If widgets or whatever they are called are that important to you then you can either jailbreak at your risk or go buy something else that has them built in for ya

charlituna
Mar 31, 2013, 02:03 PM
On the comments about Ives only having his new duties for 6 months. It has been 6 months since Apple announced it. But inside the company, they had to have known well before the announcement what they were going to do.

And Ive isn't the issue so much as the software engineers doing the coding. It's a pretty easy game to take the shadows off the faux volume knobs etc if Ive wants them gone. Or to remove the tear from the notepad.

As for bigger changes, those could have been in the works before Jobs was gone, who knows.

bozzykid
Mar 31, 2013, 02:36 PM
No they do not have to. And if they feel it is the wrong move for their target audience they won't.

It is pretty clear they are coming. They've already been added to notification center. The home screen is the next logical step. If they don't, they risk falling behind even farther to Android and WP in terms of usability. I would be shocked if they don't add live features to IOS7 and especially IOS8.

PBF
Mar 31, 2013, 03:10 PM

I'm sorry, what's wrong with skeuomorphism?

Claefer
Mar 31, 2013, 08:00 PM
Flat design is the worst thing that they can do to the iPhone. As a website designer and coder, I think that flat design sucks!

I hate how unsatisfying tapping a button feels on flat interfaces. Not sure if it's a good analogy but it reminds of the story of the original iPod review units that didn't make a click sound when a user plugged in the earphones.

DesertEagle
Mar 31, 2013, 08:20 PM

I kind of liked the skeuomorphic tape-player in the Podcast app, which was removed with the latest update. What is next? Removing the paper-flipping-feature in iBooks, or just the wooden bookshelf?

SJism23
Mar 31, 2013, 09:16 PM
I kind of liked the skeuomorphic tape-player in the Podcast app, which was removed with the latest update. What is next? Removing the paper-flipping-feature in iBooks, or just the wooden bookshelf?

I hope they only get rid of the stupid things like the green felt of GameCenter and the torn pages in Notes. That stuff is a little excessive.

Personally, I like the bookshelf in iBooks.

bozzykid
Mar 31, 2013, 09:59 PM

How about making things like number/time pickers actually easy to use instead of the awful spinning wheel? On Android, I can set an alarm by quickly hitting the time on a number pad. On iOS, I have to spin these stupid wheels around to set the time. My guess is Ive should be focusing on removing the skeuomorphism in cases where it is making the function more difficult instead of easier to use.

Abazigal
Apr 1, 2013, 06:13 AM
So the ten major new features so far:
1. Safari improvements
2. Mail improvements
3. Siri improvements
4. Maps improvements
5. Camera/Photo improvements
6. FaceTime with group chat
7. New app like Reminders in iOS 5 or Passbook in iOS 6
8. Major feature like Multitasking in iOS 4 or Notification Center in iOS 5
9. Some sort of integration like Twitter in iOS 5 or Facebook in iOS 6, maybe Foursquare
10. Could be some features for Calendar, Notes, Game Center, Accessibility. Things like those, nothing that big.

Very reasonable analysis overall. IOS was always envisioned as a companion to OSX, and I doubt Apple will take the Android route of turning their smartphones into mini-PCs.

I do wish Apple had been the one to buy over the mailbox app though. Those swipe gestures were actually pretty cool and useful, and it can help lock users into the ecosystem if Apple is able to develop ipad and OSX version (since mailbox pretty much screws up the mail interface of every other mail app).

Rogifan
Apr 1, 2013, 06:25 AM
How about making things like number/time pickers actually easy to use instead of the awful spinning wheel? On Android, I can set an alarm by quickly hitting the time on a number pad. On iOS, I have to spin these stupid wheels around to set the time. My guess is Ive should be focusing on removing the skeuomorphism in cases where it is making the function more difficult instead of easier to use.

Yeah whoever thought the spinning wheels were a good idea should be demoted. :eek:

morty192
Apr 1, 2013, 11:49 AM
iRadio will be THE feature of ios7 few if any meaningful additions other than that, expect nothing more

expect nothing more!

itjw
Apr 1, 2013, 04:10 PM
iRadio will be THE feature of ios7 few if any meaningful additions other than that, expect nothing more

expect nothing more!

Agreed. Likely nothing else.

But the burning question I have is: WILL SAFARI BE "SNAPPIER"?!?!?

FFS this is the single largest issue by FAR...

WhackyNinja
Apr 1, 2013, 07:11 PM
Agreed. Likely nothing else.

But the burning question I have is: WILL SAFARI BE "SNAPPIER"?!?!?

FFS this is the single largest issue by FAR...

I seriously think "Safari seems snappier" should be like the iconic quote of these forums.

Technarchy
Apr 1, 2013, 07:36 PM
I don't think iOS7 will be massively changed.

I'm not all that concerned about it to be honest.

Abazigal
Apr 2, 2013, 06:10 AM
I don't think iOS7 will be massively changed.

I'm not all that concerned about it to be honest.

Personally, I am perfectly fine if all they do is just fine-tune existing apps and services. Apple has many great ideas, but for some reason, many don't seem to get the attention they deserve.

SJism23
Apr 2, 2013, 09:27 PM
MAJOR UPDATE: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/02/ios-7-running-behind-rumored-to-have-significant-visual-makeover/

Guys, this is the second article that goes against my suspicions of iOS 7 not having a major Ive influence. According to these rumours, iOS 7 will be a major overhaul! It's also said that people who like textures in their software (skeuomorphism) will be disappointed, which really makes me happy.

We'll have to wait a bit, however; iOS 7 is running behind. Apple is apparently pulling engineers from the OS X 10.9 team to work on iOS. But hey, I don't mind the wait because, supposedly, it looks good!

akuma13
Apr 2, 2013, 09:38 PM
This is the first time I'm getting excited for iOS in a long time. Even though a UI overhaul is likely (and needed) I would rather see a system overhaul instead.

charlituna
Apr 2, 2013, 09:58 PM

It seems that a lot of people on here expect iOS 7 to be fresh and new due to Forstall's ouster and Ive's inclusion as part of the iOS team, but as the article linked above states, not much can be done in 6 months of product development. ?

This is from business insider who could be pulling it from their butts. They aren't software folks and don't really have a clue

We also don't know what the plans for iOS 7 were before Forstall left. There could have already been a lot of fresh and new already in the works. And to be honest changing many bits of the UI wouldn't be that hard since they are appearance based. Do enough little tweaks and it will be fresh enough for many folks.

SJism23
Apr 2, 2013, 10:38 PM
This is from business insider who could be pulling it from their butts. They aren't software folks and don't really have a clue

We also don't know what the plans for iOS 7 were before Forstall left. There could have already been a lot of fresh and new already in the works. And to be honest changing many bits of the UI wouldn't be that hard since they are appearance based. Do enough little tweaks and it will be fresh enough for many folks.

Yes, I've come to accept that realization now. Check post #156.

Troy598
Apr 2, 2013, 10:42 PM
Not expecting much, but I'm sure that Apple will be able to list off 100 new features again!http://xin70.info/17.jpghttp://xin70.info/18.jpghttp://xin70.info/19.jpghttp://xin70.info/20.jpg

TheMTtakeover
Apr 2, 2013, 10:43 PM
The default setting for the volume rockers are to change the ringer volume, not the media volume (unless media is playing) - so I use this shortcut quite a lot just before launching a game or something in a public place.
Agreed it should be there, maybe just another swipe along to the left.

OMG! That is brilliant! I always wished there was a way to turn down a video before I started playing it so I didn't have to cover the speaker with my hand until I got the chance to turn it down...Never even thought of this!

bushman4
Apr 2, 2013, 11:15 PM
New UI could be just whats appropriate for this point in time. Better hardware also coming, however doesn't look like this round holds anything major.

BarryL
Apr 3, 2013, 12:41 AM
omg! That is brilliant! I always wished there was a way to turn down a video before i started playing it so i didn't have to cover the speaker with my hand until i got the chance to turn it down...never even thought of this!

+1

viktormadarasz
Apr 3, 2013, 12:50 AM
It a very nice concept with some great ideas.I expect if not all but some of those to get its way into iOS 7.All Ive's work showed very rich meaningfull design upto the very slightest and smallest detail with always a clean undisturbing look and feel for the human eye. For me noone ever came close to the design what Apple and in particular Ive has achieved.

zmagik
Apr 3, 2013, 09:46 AM
we need quick toggles e.g turning of wifi from the multitasking bar or maybe a diffrent multitasking bar:D:D

Rogifan
Apr 3, 2013, 12:15 PM

I'm guessing you, I and everyone else on MR know about as much as business insider does.

gotluck
Apr 3, 2013, 12:21 PM

I would really love a wind speed / direction widget so I know when it's time to play hooky from work and go surfing.

BlueHusky
Apr 3, 2013, 05:41 PM
Yay iOS 8!! With iPhone 6!

Premium1
Apr 3, 2013, 05:47 PM
I could see them starting it so they have something new to show off with IOS7 and then continue refining and adding more in future IOS7 updates

mrmarts
Apr 4, 2013, 06:18 AM
I wish they make a flipboard home screen like HTC.

BlueHusky
Apr 4, 2013, 10:40 AM
I wish they make a flipboard home screen like HTC.

You know? that was exactly what I was thinking..

Perhaps apple can make use of the "search bar page", the page on the left of the iPhone home screen. I feel as though that no one really uses the home screen.

I posted some info on how this could work.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1565725

Like you said. if apple can use that space to have a live feed or a widget page. it would be awesome.

Krazy Bill
Apr 4, 2013, 11:18 AM
Apple just needs to "pay" Microsoft to develop (for real) an iOS version of Office. That will sell more iOS enabled devices than any silly-assed UI change.

Rogifan
Apr 4, 2013, 12:50 PM
Hmm...intersting that this patent application just came out. One of the inventors listed on the patent works on the ID team. h/t patentlyapple

Apple Reveals a Virtual Home Button and a Cool New Way to Access your Apps without having to unlock your iDevice
(http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/04/apple-reveals-a-virtual-home-button-and-a-cool-new-way-to-access-your-apps-without-having-to-unlock-your-idevice.html)

http://www.patentlyapple.com/.a/6a0120a5580826970c017d4286188d970c-pi http://www.patentlyapple.com/.a/6a0120a5580826970c017c38570115970b-pi

irDigital0l
Apr 4, 2013, 02:48 PM
Apple just needs to "pay" Microsoft to develop (for real) an iOS version of Office. That will sell more iOS enabled devices than any silly-assed UI change.

Microsoft doesn't want to though.

Office is probably the only good reason why someone should buy a Surface.

Krazy Bill
Apr 4, 2013, 07:40 PM
Microsoft doesn't want to though.

Office is probably the only good reason why someone should buy a Surface.I know. That's why I said Apple needs to pay them to do it.

Dmunjal
Apr 4, 2013, 08:11 PM
I know. That's why I said Apple needs to pay them to do it.

Should Microsoft pay Apple to get Airplay, iTunes, and other parts of Apple's ecosystem on Windows Mobile? There's a reason neither company gives away their crown jewels. At any price.

Sirious
Apr 5, 2013, 09:06 AM
I'm not expecting a lot, but I hope they surprise us and give a lot more than we asked for - like iOS 5.

iOS 5 had hundreds of amazing features. iOS 6 just tweaked the OS a bit (that's how it feels to me).

iOS 7 needs to add 'something' fresh to the OS. I dont know what that 'something' might be, but it needs to be good.

Abazigal
Apr 5, 2013, 09:12 AM

Unless they also allow a more flexible way of synching those documents (like icloud for office), I don't see how it would work. You still face the problem of exporting saved documents (currently a tedious email to self + save attachment in dropbox).

Office for mac isn't that stellar anyways. Update iworks for mac, and I just might be ready to jump ship. :)

Beeplance
Apr 5, 2013, 10:26 AM
Not bad, new iOS 7 concept!

http://9to5mac.com/2013/04/05/latest-ios-7-concept-shows-slick-widget-integration-enhanced-lockscreen-much-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29

Frankied22
Apr 5, 2013, 10:33 AM

http://9to5mac.com/2013/04/05/latest-ios-7-concept-shows-slick-widget-integration-enhanced-lockscreen-much-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29

Pretty neat but those quick toggle buttons are hideous. If Apple does quick toggles they need to take a look at how NCSettings does them. I have that jailbreak on my iPhone and it puts whatever toggles you want in the notification tray and they look so good. It looks like something Apple would have designed.

Krazy Bill
Apr 5, 2013, 11:51 AM
Office for mac isn't that stellar anyways. Update iworks for mac, and I just might be ready to jump ship. :)You obviously don't exchange documents in the corporate or academic world, do you?

sbailey4
Apr 5, 2013, 12:01 PM
ios 7 = 2014

Probably right. iOS 7 saved for iPhone 7 in 2014 to get them back in sync :) I suspect the "new iPhone" will probaby be called iPhone 6 not 5s. Or they could follow the iPad and call it "New iPhone". haha.

However I suspect they have several versions of iOS already on the table and most likely always have new versions in the labs so iOS 7 could certainly have been in existence before Ives took over.

----------

So the 5s stands for iPhone5_"Surprise". Nice. Since 4s was for Siri they cant use that one again. Surprise, its not an iPhone 6!

03hdfatboy
Apr 6, 2013, 12:52 PM
I've had iPhones for the past 5 years, IOS is getting stale it needs a major overhaul.
My son has a new android phone and I kinda like the UI. Not sayin I'd jump ship but do like it.

ravenvii
Apr 6, 2013, 03:05 PM
You obviously don't exchange documents in the corporate or academic world, do you?

I exchange documents in both the corporate and academic worlds, and I don't use Office. Jus' sayin'.

Granted, I don't use iWork either, but still. :p

Krazy Bill
Apr 6, 2013, 05:39 PM
I exchange documents in both the corporate and academic worlds, and I don't use Office. Jus' sayin'.

Granted, I don't use iWork either, but still. :pThrow some VB, macros and charts into one of those Office wannabes. Then send it to your boss. :)

SJism23
Apr 26, 2013, 01:01 PM
As many other tech sites have pointed out, the logo for WWDC2013 looks like a hint at what's coming up for iOS. The logo is very different from usual Apple design. Very Ive-like, perhaps?

Razeus
Apr 26, 2013, 01:49 PM
It doesn't take much to change an icon or the artwork within the app...

Brother Esau
Apr 26, 2013, 02:21 PM

Good lord, I certainly hope that iOS 7 does not end up in that state because that is just completely butt ugly and non conducive if you ask me.

Luuthian
Apr 26, 2013, 02:49 PM
I'm actually surprised how few leaks we've had for iOS 7. By this point you'd normally hear something, anything related to what's going on. So far all we've heard is that Ive is working on iOS 7 and it looks simpler... That's it.

madsci954
Apr 26, 2013, 03:18 PM
I'm actually surprised how few leaks we've had for iOS 7. By this point you'd normally hear something, anything related to what's going on. So far all we've heard is that Ive is working on iOS 7 and it looks simpler... That's it.

That's because all the info is in Apple HQ. It's not like the manufactures in China where Apple has little control of who sees the components. And I'm pretty sure no Apple employee wants to risk their job just to leak out early info of iOS 7.

Abazigal
Apr 26, 2013, 05:23 PM
It doesn't take much to change an icon or the artwork within the app...

No, but I believe it takes a lot of work to change it to something that doesn't suck.

SJism23
Apr 26, 2013, 05:37 PM
No, but I believe it takes a lot of work to change it to something that doesn't suck.

Exactly. As Ive (quite appropriate for this thread, I must add) once said: "It's very easy to be different, but very difficult to be better."

Rogifan
Apr 26, 2013, 06:21 PM
That's because all the info is in Apple HQ. It's not like the manufactures in China where Apple has little control of who sees the components. And I'm pretty sure no Apple employee wants to risk their job just to leak out early info of iOS 7.

Have we has software leaks in the past? I wouldn't mind Apple doing some careful leaking to friendly media/bloggers. Not screen shots but something to generate some excitement.

ravenvii
Apr 26, 2013, 07:26 PM
Have we has software leaks in the past? I wouldn't mind Apple doing some careful leaking to friendly media/bloggers. Not screen shots but something to generate some excitement.

I'd think they did -- the whole flatter, "this will make many people happy, but those who like the linen will be disappointed" thing.

HankHowdy
Apr 27, 2013, 09:46 AM
What would make me happy is a unified notifications app.

cmChimera
Apr 27, 2013, 10:54 AM
What would make me happy is a unified notifications app.

Like...Notification center?

HankHowdy
Apr 27, 2013, 11:28 AM
Like...Notification center?

No. Like blackberry hub. Or blackberry message app

cmChimera
Apr 27, 2013, 12:30 PM
No. Like blackberry hub. Or blackberry message app

So....like Notification Center?

HankHowdy
Apr 27, 2013, 12:34 PM

I cannot see the notification center on my home screen. I don't see a notification alert on my home screen. That's what I liked about blackberry. I don't care or the notification center. Probably one of the reasons I haven't adopted android fully.

irDigital0l
Apr 27, 2013, 02:41 PM

No.

Notification Center is completely broken right now.

Say you get a notification about an email or game center invite on your iPhone and iPad. You use notification center on your iPhone and now the notifications are gone but they're still on your iPad.

For unified Notification Center I want to see syncing.

It should be smart enough to know once you view a notification on one device, it is deleted on the rest of your devices. Or else it just adds up and every device has different notifications never in sync. Keeping them unified is a good thing.

ManicMarc
Apr 27, 2013, 02:45 PM
No.

Notification Center is completely broken right now.

Say you get a notification about an email or game center invite on your iPhone and iPad. You use notification center on your iPhone and now the notifications are gone but they're still on your iPad.

For unified Notification Center I want to see syncing.

It should be smart enough to know once you view a notification on one device, it is deleted on the rest of your devices. Or else it just adds up and every device has different notifications never in sync. Keeping them unified is a good thing.

Well said.. Due to the way notifications work, they are sent to a unique device so this is not currently possible. What might be better would be sending notifications to a specific iCloud user, and Apple does the logic for working out which devices need the notification,

Would also make an iWatch more useful if it got all your notifications ;)

ajvizzgamer101
Apr 27, 2013, 04:27 PM
I am expecting he will take the design of iTunes 11 and apply it to all the apps, create a dashboard just for widgets, and change up the lock screen.

SMIDG3T
Apr 28, 2013, 09:54 AM
Hi all, maybe I'm missing the point here but I'm almost certain we will see a different look in iOS 7. I have two points. My first is that (as the title mentions) Ive is now in charge of iOS and I feel he will change how iOS looks. My second point is what Phil Schiller said when Apple announced WWDC. He mentioned "I can't wait to get new versions of iOS and OS X into their hands at WWDC."

cmChimera
Apr 28, 2013, 06:40 PM
Hi all, maybe I'm missing the point here but I'm almost certain we will see a different look in iOS 7. I have two points. My first is that (as the title mentions) Ive is now in charge of iOS and I feel he will change how iOS looks. My second point is what Phil Schiller said when Apple announced WWDC. He mentioned "I can't wait to get new versions of iOS and OS X into their hands at WWDC." No offense, but those aren't points. The first is just your opinion, and the second doesn't imply that there is a UI change. I do agree that there will likely be some UI changes, the extent of which is unknown, but we don't have real solid evidence so far.

TyPod
Apr 29, 2013, 10:31 AM

I like this a lot! All seems nicely integrated and would make sense!

Edslunch
Apr 29, 2013, 03:49 PM
As many other tech sites have pointed out, the logo for WWDC2013 looks like a hint at what's coming up for iOS. The logo is very different from usual Apple design. Very Ive-like, perhaps?

It's hideous

Razeus
Apr 29, 2013, 04:51 PM
It's hideous

To you.

MrMacMack
Apr 29, 2013, 06:21 PM
I'm completely happy with how iOS looks and functions.

Rogifan
Apr 30, 2013, 06:50 AM
It's hideous

Not to most people.

AdamC93
May 3, 2013, 08:59 AM
Well it will make sense for Apple to do something big with iOS 7. They need to realize that Android is right now catching up to them, and with Android 5.0 coming this year it could deliver the fatal blow to iOS. If Apple doesnt do anything, Android will win and a lot of people will end up leaving their iPhones for something newer and, dare I say, better.

Android catching up to iOS is a load of bull, at worst they're on an even split. As past keynotes have suggested, Apple have great figures for their OS - not to mention being able to realise that although Android tablets outship the iPad, no one uses their Android tablet.

As with the Mac, Apple know that as a company who creates premium products not everyone will be able to afford something of theirs (even if the prices are great when you consider how good the products actually are in comparison).

Apple will not (in my opinion) create features in iOS 7 just to be neck and neck with Android, instead, they will add features which are right for the user and meet requirements of security, design and usability.

----------

Widgets and themes are a cheap way to 'attract' android users, and a dangerous way to repel current iOS users.

Apple (quite rightly) love ubiquitous design. It not only makes their products immediately recognisable, but as easy to use no matter who's device you are using.

Take iOS for example, when it was shipped with iPhone it was great and everyone loved it. Because of its simplicity and great design, it was easy to push over to iPad, and as Steve said "people immediately know how to use the iPad" because of the millions of people who had bought and used iPhones and iPod Touches.

Even before the iPod, Apple's key features in its products is for people to be able to use it - no matter they're situation.

This is why widgets are a big no, with an iPhone or an iPad, they have great apps, but are the merging of widgets and Mac apps.

Due to hardware and screen size constraints (not to mention the ratio between 'finger size' and cursor size) iOS does not need widgets, just use the apps it ships with or the over hundreds of thousand on the App Store.

Dmunjal
May 3, 2013, 11:56 AM
Android catching up to iOS is a load of bull, at worst they're on an even split. As past keynotes have suggested, Apple have great figures for their OS - not to mention being able to realise that although Android tablets outship the iPad, no one uses their Android tablet.

As with the Mac, Apple know that as a company who creates premium products not everyone will be able to afford something of theirs (even if the prices are great when you consider how good the products actually are in comparison).

Apple will not (in my opinion) create features in iOS 7 just to be neck and neck with Android, instead, they will add features which are right for the user and meet requirements of security, design and usability.

----------

Widgets and themes are a cheap way to 'attract' android users, and a dangerous way to repel current iOS users.

Apple (quite rightly) love ubiquitous design. It not only makes their products immediately recognisable, but as easy to use no matter who's device you are using.

Take iOS for example, when it was shipped with iPhone it was great and everyone loved it. Because of its simplicity and great design, it was easy to push over to iPad, and as Steve said "people immediately know how to use the iPad" because of the millions of people who had bought and used iPhones and iPod Touches.

Even before the iPod, Apple's key features in its products is for people to be able to use it - no matter they're situation.

This is why widgets are a big no, with an iPhone or an iPad, they have great apps, but are the merging of widgets and Mac apps.

Due to hardware and screen size constraints (not to mention the ratio between 'finger size' and cursor size) iOS does not need widgets, just use the apps it ships with or the over hundreds of thousand on the App Store.

There are some really complex iOS apps that do amazing things and have a huge learning curve yet we don't want to complicate the OS with widgets because it's too hard to learn?

It's not 2007 anymore and we're not all 5 years old. We're ready for a more feature rich iOS. I'm not ready to replace my laptop until iOS does some basic things first.

charlituna
May 3, 2013, 12:18 PM

It seems that a lot of people on here expect iOS 7 to be fresh and new due to Forstall's ouster and Ive's inclusion as part of the iOS team, but as the article linked above states, not much can be done in 6 months of product development.

I don't really consider businessinsider to be a source with any real clue about what can and can't be done in 6 months. Especially since many of the changes in iOS 7 may have started work well before Ive and his new title of God of UI design came into play.

----------

Not expecting much.

Also tons of other Apple experts like John Gruber have said that based on experience, there's no way for Apple to completely change iOS within 6 months.

1. When have they ever completely changed iOS.

2. Who says they are trying to.

This will be yet another incremental change with perhaps 2-3 new features just like always and will be panned as such by the freaks and geeks that want it to be full of the same crap they put on via jailbreak tweaks. Just like Apple was likely always planning.

charlituna
May 3, 2013, 12:34 PM
I've been saying this for a while now. Jony can't step into a second department and release a new OS months later. Any significant changes would have already been planned.

Folks seem to be confused about what Jony's role is. He's UI design. NOT actual software engineering. In other words, not what features there are but how they look.

So as you say, any major changes started ages ago. Work on iOS 7 probably started when iOS 4 was released, iOS 5 for sure. Jony's just going on and doing things like having them yank the paper tear, the cute but pointless shadows, move a few buttons around etc. That's easy to do in six months

Rogifan
May 3, 2013, 01:48 PM
Folks seem to be confused about what Jony's role is. He's UI design. NOT actual software engineering. In other words, not what features there are but how they look.

So as you say, any major changes started ages ago. Work on iOS 7 probably started when iOS 4 was released, iOS 5 for sure. Jony's just going on and doing things like having them yank the paper tear, the cute but pointless shadows, move a few buttons around etc. That's easy to do in six months
How do you know exactly what his role is? You make it sound purely cosmetic. According to the Bloomberg piece:

Ive, 46, has begun revamping iPhone and iPad applications, shunning realistic images, such as wood bookshelves for the Newsstand feature, and he’s exploring more dramatic changes to the e-mail and calendar tools, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans are private.

Longer term, Ive also has shown interest in altering how people control their computers. He has met with makers of gesture technology that lets people navigate their gadgets by moving their hands -- without touching the screen, said a personal familiar with those interactions

Ive’s expanded role was on display in March when he led a more than two-hour town-hall meeting at the De Anza 3 auditorium in Cupertino. Cook sat listening as Ive spoke at length about the shifts under way, said two people familiar with the gathering.

None of this indicates he's in charge of just cosmetic changes. I don't think he'd need to hold a 2 hour + town hall (with Cook in attendance) to discuss how he's going to remove the faux leather and stiching from iCal and find my friends.

Look at Apple's human interface guidelines for developers. It's not just about how something looks, but how people use it.
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/ipad/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/Introduction/Introduction.html

Also I think it's a bit ridiculous to suggest changing the design language of an operating system is easy to do in 6 months. Yeah maybe it is if you rush it and don't do it right. Or think its only about getting rid of faux leather and felt in an app.

AdamC93
May 3, 2013, 10:25 PM
I'm not ready to replace my laptop until iOS does some basic things first.

It's not about replacing laptops with iOS devices, they are meant to compliment each other, hence why the iPad (as said by Tim Cook) was created by leaving certain things about the laptop behind. Something most other people cant seem to do (i.e. Windows 8 and these terrible new tablet/laptop hybrids that fold or fit together)

Although I think people will prefer to buy tablets over laptops for various reasons, laptops are primarily a way of creating content as oppose to the consumption of content on tablets.

Dmunjal
May 3, 2013, 11:54 PM
It's not about replacing laptops with iOS devices, they are meant to compliment each other, hence why the iPad (as said by Tim Cook) was created by leaving certain things about the laptop behind. Something most other people cant seem to do (i.e. Windows 8 and these terrible new tablet/laptop hybrids that fold or fit together)

Although I think people will prefer to buy tablets over laptops for various reasons, laptops are primarily a way of creating content as oppose to the consumption of content on tablets.

I'm not talking about getting rid of my laptop completely. I do create content and I need a laptop. However, I end up having to take my laptop when I travel along with the iPad to do some simple tasks like replying to emails with an attachment.

StuddedLeather
May 5, 2013, 06:38 PM
I'm completely happy with how iOS looks and functions.

-No One

AdamC93
May 7, 2013, 09:38 AM
I'm not talking about getting rid of my laptop completely. I do create content and I need a laptop. However, I end up having to take my laptop when I travel along with the iPad to do some simple tasks like replying to emails with an attachment.

I don't know why that's not working for you, it does for me.

Also, the editing of any popular document, PDF, Office (and arguably better as the article points out (http://9to5mac.com/2013/05/06/bill-gates-thinks-your-ipad-is-frustrating-without-office-and-a-keyboard/)) iWork documents can be edited, along with great apps like TouchDraw (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/touchdraw/id382021233?mt=8) which I use. Not to mention basic image editing like that in Photoshop (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/adobe-photoshop-touch/id495716481?mt=8) and Apple's own iLife, iPhoto, Garageband and iMovie on iOS.

Dmunjal
May 7, 2013, 10:29 AM
I don't know why that's not working for you, it does for me.

Also, the editing of any popular document, PDF, Office (and arguably better as the article points out (http://9to5mac.com/2013/05/06/bill-gates-thinks-your-ipad-is-frustrating-without-office-and-a-keyboard/)) iWork documents can be edited, along with great apps like TouchDraw (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/touchdraw/id382021233?mt=8) which I use. Not to mention basic image editing like that in Photoshop (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/adobe-photoshop-touch/id495716481?mt=8) and Apple's own iLife, iPhoto, Garageband and iMovie on iOS.

Maybe I'm missing something. How do you reply to an email with an attachment?
My company uses Excel and PowerPoint and half the time, I lose something in the transition.

ThisIsNotMe
May 7, 2013, 12:49 PM

Huh, OS X had widgets in 2005 a full 3 years before Androids initial release.
Maybe Android ripped off OS X? LOL.

I would like to see them implement widgets like OS X style either in the "search" app panel, notification center, or a new "dashboard". What I mean by that is that the widgets only operate when you activate the search panel, notification center, or "dashboard" like OS X dashboard instead of being always active.

Just a "mini app" built on top of the OS that runs mini JS applications. Hell, they could run the APIs across iOS and OS X and rejuvenate the Dashboard widget market on the desktop as well. THAT would be awesome!

--------------

There are small things that need major changes as well. When you click on "Legal" on maps it takes you to Safari and loads a webpage when in reality those things should be handled in a 'Dictionaryesque" popup form a local file.

----------

Google released an "unfinished product" when they initially launched Android and look at it now.

ThisIsNotMe
May 7, 2013, 07:40 PM
Anyone else find it highly ironic that Apple is moving to to a "flat" GUI design after their obsession with thinness?

AdamC93
May 8, 2013, 06:39 AM
Maybe I'm missing something. How do you reply to an email with an attachment?

It's the button to the left of the compose icon. The one that looks like an arrow pointing left.

watchthisspace
May 8, 2013, 07:15 AM
Anyone else find it highly ironic that Apple is moving to to a "flat" GUI design after their obsession with thinness?

Well it coincides well with their obsession with thinness. But at the same time this 'flat' UI design is sort of the current/emerging trend at the moment.

Dmunjal
May 8, 2013, 10:37 AM
It's the button to the left of the compose icon. The one that looks like an arrow pointing left.

As I understand it, that's for pictures only. Not regular files.

SJism23
May 8, 2013, 05:04 PM
As I understand it, that's for pictures only. Not regular files.

You can go on the file itself and you should have an option to email it.

Dmunjal
May 8, 2013, 06:53 PM
You can go on the file itself and you should have an option to email it.

But that's for a new email! How do I reply to an existing email to maintain the distribution? It can't be this hard?