Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
I'm trying to create a smart playlist in iTunes that basically encompasses everything I have imported, except for about 40 or 50 different artists.

I can go through and add a bunch of rules where artist is not foo, but pretty soon, the playlist composition window grows beyond my screen size, and I can't scroll down. Whee.

Is it possible to create multiple smart playlists and have a master playlist that encompasses them all? Any other ideas?

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
There are checkboxes next to each song, click OFF the ones u dont want and I believe you can set something to ignore unchecked songs.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You can add grouping info into the 40-50 artists' songs and use that info for the playlist rules.

Or, you can deselect the checkmark next to the 40-50 artists' songs and select the checkmark in the playlist rule that excludes updating un-checked songs.

benh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
I want the songs on my iPod, but not in the playlist. And there are other songs that I have unchecked because I don't want them on my iPod. So the checkboxes don't quite work.

The grouping might be a possibility.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Sounds like you need to make a regular playlist and dump all your songs in there. That'll act as your iPod library, if your music library is bigger than what can be stored on your iPod AND you have auto-updating turned off. Then you can create your smart playlist with the excluded 40 or so artists.

benh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
Looks like grouping appropriately and then making a smart playlist based on that grouping will do the trick.

Thanks.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
benh said:
Is it possible to create multiple smart playlists and have a master playlist that encompasses them all? Any other ideas?

Yes this is possible.

An alternative in your case is to make a smart playlist that captures the 40-50 songs you don't want - call it the don'twant playlist. Then specify your "limited" playlist as "playlist" "is not" "don'twant" playlist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.