PDA

View Full Version : ipod/itunes video=dvd ripping software?

howard
Oct 19, 2005, 09:44 AM
Now that we can buy videos and watch them on itunes and iPods is there going to be an easy way to rip dvds? I know there is a lot of drm that is on dvds. But shouldn't it be the same as cds? I have a few tv shows that I would love to watch on my ipod, and i don't know of any easy h.264 incoders.

what do you think will happen with the future of ripping dvds for the ipod.

snowmoon
Oct 19, 2005, 09:48 AM
Now that we can buy videos and watch them on itunes and iPods is there going to be an easy way to rip dvds? I know there is a lot of drm that is on dvds. But shouldn't it be the same as cds? I have a few tv shows that I would love to watch on my ipod, and i don't know of any easy h.264 incoders.

what do you think will happen with the future of ripping dvds for the ipod.

Give it a week... honestly... geeks around the world are working on the problem. A tool like handbrak will be updated so that you just pop in the DVD and a few hours later you have a compatible .mp4 or .mov file.

Tommyg117
Oct 19, 2005, 10:20 AM
Well, as soon as someone finds out, let me know too. I just tried ripping a south park dvd to the comp and it worked fine in iTunes but it won't load in my ipod

wwooden
Oct 19, 2005, 10:31 AM
Well, as soon as someone finds out, let me know too. I just tried ripping a south park dvd to the comp and it worked fine in iTunes but it won't load in my ipod

You have to make sure it is in the right format. I clipped this from the iPod tech spec page. If the resolution is too big, then it won't load to the iPod. It will still play fine in iTunes, so that can be misleading.

freeny
Oct 19, 2005, 10:41 AM
if you cant read the above post here it is:

iPod can play the following video formats:
* H.264 video
File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
Video: Up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3
Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio
* MPEG-4 video
File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
Video: Up to 2.5 Mbps, 480 x 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile
Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio

People are finding inconsistacies whithin these rules so more testing is certainly needed. keep an eye out on this thread-
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=155615