Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I know this may hurt some feelings for those that fall in love with a brand but I thought I would share my thoughts on my favorite Apple forum.

I have an extra phone which is a Galaxy S3 which I just recently received. I have to say it left a lot to be desired and in no way does it measure it to the iPhone 5/4S IMHO. It's really a hot mess and I find it hard to believe so many folks are impressed with this device. Let me list of a few complaints that I have:

1. OS and software lacks polish and uniformity. Some OS and Samsung apps have settings that you can adjust by clicking the menu button, others don't.

2. Settings that change and turn back on by itself. Look under Google Accounts and check out Maps and Latitude. If you try to uncheck Automatic Check-Ins, it turns back on by itself.

3. Waiting on 4.2 update. How long has it been out? What a fragmented mess.

4. Too many settings. I mean there are tons of them and its a pain in the ass going through and finding them just to get your phone just right.

5. A lot of the features are half baked and are just there to fill out a feature check list. Facial recognition anyone?

I'm so unimpressed with this device, I wish I could sell it. Android and Samsung have a LONG way to go before they can catch Apple.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I know this may hurt some feelings for those that fall in love with a brand but I thought I would share my thoughts on my favorite Apple forum.

I have an extra phone which is a Galaxy S3 which I just recently received. I have to say it left a lot to be desired and in no way does it measure it to the iPhone 5/4S IMHO. It's really a hot mess and I find it hard to believe so many folks are impressed with this device. Let me list of a few complaints that I have:

1. OS and software lacks polish and uniformity. Some OS and Samsung apps have settings that you can adjust by clicking the menu button, others don't.

2. Settings that change and turn back on by itself. Look under Google Accounts and check out Maps and Latitude. If you try to uncheck Automatic Check-Ins, it turns back on by itself.

4. Too many settings. I mean there are tons of them and its a pain in the ass going through and finding them just to get your phone just right.

5. A lot of the features are half baked and are just there to fill out a feature check list. Facial recognition anyone?

I'm so unimpressed with this device, I wish I could sell it. Android and Samsung have a LONG way to go before they can catch Apple.

Yea you didn't come here to start a fight :rolleyes:

While I can't comment on Samsung's version of Android, I use pure Android my Galaxy Nexus. You're totally wrong about the current version of Android needed to catch up to Apple. Heck I'm even willing to say Apple is need to catch up to Android. If you like doing things Apple's way, then maybe not.

Nonetheless, that's why I went with a phone that gets updates without having to wait for other companies to push out their versions. No fragmentation here. :)

Oh and you could sell it easily. Plenty would love to have it. Wishing is nothing without action. :rolleyes:

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
LOL indeed.

OP, what's the point of this post? To prove just how uninformed you truly are?

Too many settings...LMAO. Sounds like the iPhone is perfect for you. You obviously get confused easily and need to be told exactly what you need and nothing more.

Good grief.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Reminds me of the movie Shawshank Redemption. One of the guys was imprisoned for so long, when he finally got his freedom back, he couldn't take it and killed himself.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
I like to compare iOS and android to that of a lawn chair vs. a high end aeron adjustable chair.

With iOS, you just unfold the damn lawn chair and sit in it. It doesn't take much to set up and you can't really do anything with it, ONE SIZE FITS ALL.

With android it's like fiddling with all the knobs and levers of the aeron. It takes a little effort to set it up for your exact preferences but once you do, IT'S DAMN GOOD.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Reminds me of the movie Shawshank Redemption. One of the guys was imprisoned for so long, when he finally got his freedom back, he couldn't take it and killed himself.

Hahahaha

Exactly! No one could have said it better! You may have described perfectly the Apple fanboy.

OP is delusional if he thinks Android has to catch up to iOS and Apple...

Or maybe he was joking?

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I half agree with the settings thing. It's nice if you have the time to mess around with all that stuff but who does?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
The S3 isn't for everybody. Why tell us? Also, the automatic check ins doesn't re-enable for me, so that's an isolated issue. Personally I don't think the S3 is amazing but the Note 2 is the s***! :p

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I half agree with the settings thing. It's nice if you have the time to mess around with all that stuff but who does?

Then don't? And I may remind you to go into iOS settings and take a look through the sub menu after sub menu after sub menu. Then go to the apps part and look at those settings, then go to the app itself and see if it has settings. lol who has the time? Time for what? I call complete and utter BS if you say you bought your iPhone, turned it on and never once, not ever, not one time adjusted a single thing on it, setting, app location, folder or home page.

Please. The band wagon is getting full...

Last edited:

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Then don't? And I may remind you to go into iOS settings and take a look through the sub menu after sub menu after sub menu. Then go to the apps part and look at those settings, then go to the app itself and see if it has settings. lol who has the time? Time for what? I call complete and utter BS if you say you bought your iPhone, turned it on and never once, not ever, not one time adjusted a single thing on it, setting, app location, folder or home page.

Please. The band wagon is getting full...

I like that I must be "on the bandwagon" because I agree with a popular opinion
And no I'm not one of the people who has to go in and screw around with every setting on my phone I don't make folders because I don't see the point
I have adjusted my brightness once and that was just to turn off the auto brightness

I use my phone a lot but I like to spend my time texting friends and playing games not seeing how many different colors I can make my LED blink and how many different types of clock widgets I can add to my home screen. But hey what does my opinion matter I'm just on the bandwagon

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012

1. Right. Is that why on iPhones some back buttons are top left, some cancel buttons are top right, and the back button in Safari is bottom left?
The S3 has a back button that works uni-formally across all apps.

2. I've had an S3 since launch and never have I had stuff turn itself back on when I turn it off.

3. Yeah, not like iOS is fragmented at all. Tell me, how is Siri or Turn-by-Turn performing on your iPhone 4? Oh, and can I see some of the photos you took while recording on your iPhone 4s?

4. Yeah, I hate it when my tech devices let me set them up exactly how I want. Not to mention how many sub menus I have to dig through to do simple tasks on the iPhone, where I can pull down a notification bar and use a quick toggle on my S3.

5. So I'm guessing Passbook and Flyover make up a good chunk of your daily phone use?

You're just an Apple fanboy posing under the 'I thought I'd try something different' tag.

I can tell you that there are a fair few things that could use changing with the S3 - but your post doesn't highlight any of the legitimate ones.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I posted this before but seems like most don't respect subjective opinions and people's differing valuing of features per OS.

The difference between iOS and Android in a non biased - not looking to start a fight or prove my penis size is bigger or I can pee higher in the playground - way.

- - -

In general terms

IOS = uniformity. A standardised experience for all. One optimised for that particular hardware. Apps can often run better than on more powerful hardware due to developers ability to tailor for the specifications exactly.

Apple refrain from allowing custom modifications or anything that might render that uniformity - broken. This is often seen as them not allowing user customisation or being locked into a particular Eco-system, but it has great benefits because of it. Benefits that All iOS users can share rather than just those with newer faster hardware.

Android = customisation over uniformity. Here we can see many different variations of the same operating system with massively different performance levels to the user experience. User customisation and modification are encouraged but 'can' result in wildly varying end results to those users smartphone experience, especially peformance wise.

On one hand it gives the end user unprecedented control, but in the other it breaks any kind of uniformity to user experience. Hence two users of same handset can have wildly varying experiences with the likes of lag, memory managment, battery life and application performance.

To summarise.

Both approaches have their ups - both have their downs. At the end of the day it's up to the individual user to decide which aproach works best for them. There is no right and wrong, and it could be argued IOS needs more user customisation support - but at the same time Android needs more platform uniformity.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
But isn't Android the popular choice now? So that must mean your on the bandwagon? Lol.

I own all three a Blackberry 9900 for work, an iPhone for here in Japan and an S3 I use back home in NY. Sorry I speak the truth about devices not puke up internet fodder.

JustJeff

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
I own all three a Blackberry 9900 for work, an iPhone for here in Japan and an S3 I use back home in NY. Sorry I speak the truth about devices not puke up internet fodder.

The iOS settings is a mess and that is true. The "jumping on the bandwagon" part is rubbish as I said Android is the popular choice now.

So partly true partly Internet fodder lol.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
As much as people may not agree with the OP, they should at least be able to state their opinion and reasoning behind it without such ridicule IMO. I'm an ex S3 owner and don't agree with a lot of the OP as I still think the S3 is a fantastic phone. I moved to the iPhone 5 and think I made the right choice but we all have different tastes and needs in the devices we choose. I like the fact the iPhone is easy to maintain and do things straight from the off, whereas all my Android devices needed work setting up and customizing to the way I wanted them to work. I see that said here a lot as a positive in favour of Android, because you have the freedom to do that, but in my case I wanted a phone that I didn't have to faff around with too much. Its each to their own as they say and no amount of ridicule would make me change my mind.

At the end of the day its a mobile phone and a phone is only the best, if you think its the best. :)

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
As much as people may not agree with the OP, they should at least be able to state their opinion and reasoning behind it without such ridicule IMO. I'm an ex S3 owner and don't agree with a lot of the OP as I still think the S3 is a fantastic phone. I moved to the iPhone 5 and think I made the right choice but we all have different tastes and needs in the devices we choose. I like the fact the iPhone is easy to maintain and do things straight from the off, whereas all my Android devices needed work setting up and customizing to the way I wanted them to work. I see that said here a lot as a positive in favour of Android, because you have the freedom to do that, but in my case I wanted a phone that I didn't have to faff around with too much. Its each to their own as they say and no amount of ridicule would make me change my mind.

At the end of the day its a mobile phone and a phone is only the best, if you think its the best. :)

This is only an issue because android LETS you customise it. The default ui set up on most android handsets is perfectly serviceable, but people just choose to customise it.

If the iphone was more customisable, more people would do it. You only have to look at the jailbreaking community to see how much a lot of iphone users want to customise their idevices.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I like the fact the iPhone is easy to maintain and do things straight from the off, whereas all my Android devices needed work setting up and customizing to the way I wanted them to work.

General question to all, I see this mentioned a lot here, what is the customisation that needs doing on Android whereas iOS just works out the box

When I had my iPhone, yes everything just worked for me as it was
When I got my Samsung, it just worked for me exactly the same
When I got my N7 I optionally changed settings to see what it can do

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
General question to all, I see this mentioned a lot here, what is the customisation that needs doing on Android whereas iOS just works out the box

When I had my iPhone, yes everything just worked for me as it was
When I got my Samsung, it just worked for me exactly the same
When I got my N7 I optionally changed settings to see what it can do

There is no customisation NEEDED, it's just that the option is there.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
There is no customisation NEEDED, it's just that the option is there.

That's what I thought and has been my experience

I just keep reading that Android needs to be customised to make it usable, so thought I might be missing something

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
This is only an issue because android LETS you customise it. The default ui set up on most android handsets is perfectly serviceable, but people just choose to customise it.

If the iphone was more customisable, more people would do it. You only have to look at the jailbreaking community to see how much a lot of iphone users want to customise their idevices.
I appreciate the iPhone Jailbreaking community prefer a more customisable feel and some of the examples I would like to see included in the next iOS update like quick access for settings etc. I don't want to jailbreak my iPhone so have resisted the temptation. You make a fair point about people choosing to customise their Android devices and admit I did a fair bit of that myself whether it was the HTC's or Samsung I owned. I suppose I like the fact all my apps are now on one screen without having to use the menu and have screens empty where I've chosen not to fill with widgets. I think I just prefer the easier option. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.