PDA

View Full Version : Ripping DVDs to 5G iPod (iPod Video): Steps That Work!

Pages : [1] 2

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 10:40 AM
EDIT 1/1/2006: New instructions! See below.

EDIT 10/28/2005: VERY IMPORTANT! You need to wait until Handbrake says "Done" before you do anything with the file it creates... failure to get a good "Done" will result in an MP4 file that will NOT play! So even if it says 100%, wait a while... if you wait for more than a couple of hours and it doesn't give you a "Done", kill the Handbrake process and try again. Remember: No "Done", no usable movie!

OK, I have personally used the following steps to rip a DVD into a format that is viewable on an iPod Gen5 ("Video iPod")... the resulting movie looks quite nice on the iPod's screen, but I do not yet know how it would look on an external display (i.e., a TV). If you want to watch DVD on your iPod and you don't want to wait any longer, read on. (I will update this thread as new info becomes available.)

Download Mac the Ripper and Handbrake (http://handbrake.m0k.org/). (You'll have to Google for the current location of Mac the Ripper...)

NOTE: Yes, you can skip using Mac the Ripper... but I've heard of many instances where trying to use Handbrake to rip directly from a DVD does not work.

Insert your DVD, and kill (Force Quit if you have to) the DVD Player application if it starts.

Launch Mac the Ripper and wait for it to detect the DVD. Click the Mode button, and from the dropdown list, select Main Feature Extraction. Then, click Go!

Extraction should take 45 minutes or so, but this will vary from DVD to DVD. Once extraction is complete, you can then quit Mac the Ripper and eject your DVD.

Then, launch Handbrake. In the dialog box that appears, select "DVD Folder / Image". Click Browse. Select the folder that Mac the Ripper created (this will be named "[something] Main Feature"), and click Open.

Once Handbrake has scanned the ripped DVD folder, you will see the main Handbrake dialog box. Here are the settings to set (use ONE of the two following sections):

H.264 VIDEO (better for iPod-only playback)

DESTINATION SECTION
Codecs = AVC/H.264 Video / AAC Audio
File = [specify any file name you like, ending in ".mp4"]

VIDEO SECTION
Encoder = x264 (Baseline profile) (this is CRITICAL! do not select "Main profile", or the video will not play on your iPod!)
Quality = select Average Bitrate and type a value no higher than 640* in the box

* Why 640, you ask? Because the MAXIMUM bitrate supported by the iPod with H.264 is 768. Since we are specifying an AVERAGE bitrate, we need to specify a lower value that will prevent spikes over 768 in the video. 640 is a nice, high value that has worked perfectly for me with over 20 movies ripped to date. 640 will give you the best quality, while ensuring that the file is actually playable on your iPod. If you enter 768, the video will almost certainly NOT play on your iPod.

AUDIO SECTION
Sample rate (Hz) = any value up to 48000 (higher value = better sound quality = bigger file)
Bitrate (kbps) = any value up to 160 (higher value = better sound quality = bigger file)

PICTURE SETTINGS
Click Picture Settings. Using the arrow controls, drop the Width value to 320. Leave the "Keep aspect ratio" checkbox CHECKED; if you uncheck it and change the Height value manually, your video may be distorted and/or cropped. Then, click Close.

MPEG-4 VIDEO (better for TV playback, since it supports higher resolution)

DESTINATION SECTION
Codecs = MPEG-4 Video / AAC Audio
File = [specify any file name you like, ending in ".mp4"]

VIDEO SECTION
Encoder = FFmpeg
Quality = select Average Bitrate and type any value up to 2000 or so in the box (for iPod-only playback, a value of 1024 will do nicely... for TV playback, you might want to specify a higher value... the maximum supported by the iPod with MPEG-4 is 2500, but since we're specifying an AVERAGE bitrate, you shouldn't go higher than 2000 or so)

AUDIO SECTION
Sample rate (Hz) = any value up to 48000 (higher value = better sound quality = bigger file)
Bitrate (kbps) = any value up to 160 (higher value = better sound quality = bigger file)

PICTURE SETTINGS
Click Picture Settings.

For iPod-only playback: Using the arrow controls, drop the Width value to 320.

For TV playback: Change the settings as you like, but Width times Height should not exceed 230,400.

In either case, you should leave the "Keep aspect ratio" checkbox CHECKED; if you uncheck it and change the Height value manually, your video may be distorted and/or cropped. Then, click Close.

When you've set one of the above sets of settings, click Rip. Ripping the DVD folder into a working MP4 file will take a while... possibly as much as 3 or 4 hours, depending on the DVD and the settings you choose. Wait until Handbrake gives you a "Done." message before you quit Handbrake or do anything with the new file!

I have been able to successfully rip over 20 movies to play on my iPod using these steps, without ANY problems. The file sizes will vary from movie to movie, depending on the length of the movie and how complicated visually it is. (For example, THX 1138, which contains many stark, bland white scenes, is a smaller file than Black Hawk Down.)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the above steps.

Enjoy!

Chundles
Oct 19, 2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks clayj. Bugger. I have to it all again....

Also, the max supported bitrate for mpeg encoding on the iPod is 2.5mbps. Huge files but the quality would be good.

pseybold
Oct 19, 2005, 12:45 PM
those steps work great for DVD movies...but how do we extract episodes from TV show DVDs?? what are the settings in mac the ripper to just get one episode at a time? any input would be of great help.

Pete

debo
Oct 19, 2005, 12:52 PM
How do you navigate the menus in the dvd?

devilot
Oct 19, 2005, 12:55 PM
I don't have the new iPod, but thanks for working out the 'how to' and posting it, clayj! I'm sure plenty of people will be able to use your advice.

pseybold
Oct 19, 2005, 12:59 PM
debo...you dont actually have DVD menus on the new iPods. when you extract off of the DVDs your just taking the main movie feature. so when you select that movie in your ipod it just starts playing from the beginning credits.

Pete

killuminati
Oct 19, 2005, 01:00 PM
those steps work great for DVD movies...but how do we extract episodes from TV show DVDs?? what are the settings in mac the ripper to just get one episode at a time? any input would be of great help.

I have the same problem, I am trying to rip individual Seinfeld episodes, and just certain songs from my Coldplay Live 2003 DVD.

I went to Title - Chapter extraction, and chose the appropriate settings. But after I'm done ripping and I go to Handbrake to select the VIDEO_TS folder, it says "no valid titles". I don't know what to do to fix this.

I'm going to try doing a main feature extraction and then just splitting up the video file after.

pseybold
Oct 19, 2005, 01:05 PM
yea. thats exactly what has been happening to me. i just tried full video extration but breaking them up isnt as easy as you think. theres all kinds of wierd VOB files. any clarification would be a great help!!

Pete

killuminati
Oct 19, 2005, 01:11 PM
yea. thats exactly what has been happening to me. i just tried full video extration but breaking them up isnt as easy as you think. theres all kinds of wierd VOB files. any clarification would be a great help!!

Pete

I'm planning on breaking them up after I'm done everything. If I pretended this was just a movie and followed the directions, in the end I would have an MPEG 4 file I think. That I would easily be able to break up.

I'm sure there must be an easier way though.

Totalshock
Oct 19, 2005, 01:35 PM
Has anyone tried doing this without the intermediary step of using MacTheRipper... just using Handbrake to extract video, and playing the result on the iPod? That's what I've been trying to do... don't have the iPod 5G yet, but do have a bunch of stuff that I ripped out of DVD in H.264 that I'm going to have to re-rip to make it work on the Pod, by the looks of it.

Alternately, does anyone have a decent rationale (time savings?) for MacTheRippering your DVD to your HD, and then extracting the video with Handbrake, as opposed to just extracting with Handbrake straight from the DVD?

I'm curious.

killuminati
Oct 19, 2005, 01:37 PM
I just finished the whole process on one of the Seinfeld DVD discs. Even though I did Main Feature extraction, I only got the first episode off the disc. Now I would have no idea how to go about getting the other ones.

pseybold
Oct 19, 2005, 01:42 PM
killuminati, i did the same using the first disc from season 1 LOST. i did main feature extraction and only got the first of 4 episodes. then i tried doing individual titles and got unreadable files....PLEASE HELP!!! this is frekkin frustrating

Pete

freeny
Oct 19, 2005, 02:03 PM
as for just extracting a chapter or so from a dvd use "cinematize" http://www.miraizon.com/products/products.html (yes it costs $ but not everything in life is free. or as my graphics professor used to tell his class "maybe you have some friends who can help you out.") ;) it allows you to grab just a chapter then converts the file to whatever you want. as for the "extract main feature" issue, you should use "full disc extraction". you may get some crap you dont want like previews but you can just trim them off with quicktime, but youll definately get everything. I know quicktime pro costs some $ but is perfect for such events and costs less then half of cinematize. you can cut a video into different parts such as episodes etc.

Inside handbrake you can also select which chapters you want to convert but you still need to extract the whole dvd in mactheripper.

mulze22
Oct 19, 2005, 02:37 PM
In the diveintothemark web page it says use the h.264 encoding, yet you say not to. May I ask why. I ripped the whole entire 1st disc of The Chappelle Show and it worked perfectly. THe quality was excellent and the good thing was that it was only 594 MB. Even though it took forever but I think that is due to my proccesor.

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 02:51 PM
In the diveintothemark web page it says use the h.264 encoding, yet you say not to. May I ask why. I ripped the whole entire 1st disc of The Chappelle Show and it worked perfectly. THe quality was excellent and the good thing was that it was only 594 MB. Even though it took forever but I think that is due to my proccesor.I say not to becuase it has NEVER worked for me.

freeny
Oct 19, 2005, 03:00 PM
I say not to becuase it has NEVER worked for me.
Clayj has spoken. :p

JonHimself
Oct 19, 2005, 03:11 PM
Hello all, I think I might have some information to add to this to hopefully help some people out. I do not have my iPod as of yet (25th!) but have already started the ripping process. I have found that Mac the Ripper is not always necessary but if you have hard drive space it's worth it - especially for ripping TV show DVD's. All I did was copy the whole disc to my hard drive... usually takes well under an hour and that way I would have all of the files on my computer and not have to worry about keeping the discs on me (I've even been doing encoding in lectures at school so by not having the dvd drive constantly spinning it keeps the noise to a minimum). Anyways, for TV show dvd's I have done the same thing.
The confusion seems to be occurring with regards to getting the episodes you want. What I would do is open Apple's DVD player and play the episode, then I would click on the Chapter/Title buttons until I was able to see which Title was playing. Then, open up handbrake and select the video_ts folder of the dvd you just copied. Under the Title menu find the one that was just playing and select it. It doesn't hurt to check the length of the title to make sure you have it correct. Then use the settings that clayj has provided (or your own) and you should be good to go.
I am still on the fence as to what my final settings will be. The h.264 codec at 768kbps is the best for file size and the quality is ok (even on the TV being played from my laptop - not the ipod) However I have also been ripping copies with the mpeg codec at 1500 and 768kbps. The 768kbps is almost identical between both codecs, file size as well, whereas the 1500kbps mpeg file is the best in terms of quality (obviously).
Has anyone heard anything about the h.264 codec in handbrake NOT working with the iPods? I read that on these forums somewhere but have not had problems putting them into iTunes and looking at the files in ffmpegx the settings all appear to be correct (h.264 320xwhatever depending on original and 768kbps) Does anyone know anything about that?

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 03:11 PM
Clayj has spoken. :pOK, to humor those of you who've questioned why I say not to use H.264, I am reripping Blade Runner... the MPEG-4 version works fine, so I only changed the one setting to H.264.

If the new rip doesn't work, I'll let you know... if it does, I'll let you know that, too. ;)

snowmoon
Oct 19, 2005, 03:23 PM
Check your PM Clayj

freeny
Oct 19, 2005, 03:37 PM
OK, to humor those of you who've questioned why I say not to use H.264, I am reripping Blade Runner... the MPEG-4 version works fine, so I only changed the one setting to H.264.

If the new rip doesn't work, I'll let you know... if it does, I'll let you know that, too. ;)
Im just busting your chops clayj. all the work you are doing is greatly appreciated and seeing that i dont have my hardware yet I guess I cant really say anything. keep up the good work and I will join you in this codec journey tonite. my wife has informed me that my pod is waiting for me at home and I already have my av cable in hand (cant believe I will be the first to try this unless of course someone else gets to it before me). cant wait to hook it up to my tv and see how well it all works.......

Tommyg117
Oct 19, 2005, 03:39 PM
I have tried ripping a dvd onto the computer and it did not work. Once it was encoded by using handbrake and the above specifications, Itunes wouldn't let me drag the file into itunes. So I might have to do the whole thing over again. I wish I had know that it wouldn't work for me before I took all my time doing it.

freeny
Oct 19, 2005, 03:41 PM
I have tried ripping a dvd onto the computer and it did not work. Once it was encoded by using handbrake and the above specifications, Itunes wouldn't let me drag the file into itunes. So I might have to do the whole thing over again. I wish I had know that it wouldn't work for me before I took all my time doing it.
be sure you drag it into the "library" and not the "movies" playlist in itunes. originally thought itunes wouldnt accept my movies until I discovered this.

Tommyg117
Oct 19, 2005, 05:53 PM
Ok, I got through the steps with handbrake but for some reason when it is encoding, it gets to 100% done and then just doesn't move, and it doesn't give me an option, it still seems like its encoding but the only choices are Pause and Cancel. How do I get this thing to work?

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 05:58 PM
Ok, I got through the steps with handbrake but for some reason when it is encoding, it gets to 100% done and then just doesn't move, and it doesn't give me an option, it still seems like its encoding but the only choices are Pause and Cancel. How do I get this thing to work?Give it a while... sometimes it looks like it's finished, but it's really not.

Phat_Pat
Oct 19, 2005, 06:07 PM
has anyone confirmed if converting it with QTPro works as well? If not more efficient?

Mike Teezie
Oct 19, 2005, 06:11 PM
has anyone confirmed if converting it with QTPro works as well? If not more efficient?

Supposedly the encode times are dreadfully long.

asherman13
Oct 19, 2005, 06:16 PM
um i ripped via handbrake 0.6 as the 0.7 beta3 won't work on my ibook g3; can anybody check if the below settings are right?

EDIT look under 'more info' on the attached pic

killuminati
Oct 19, 2005, 06:17 PM

I tried converting with Handbrake and with QT Pro. I found handbrake to be a considerable amount faster.

asherman13
Oct 19, 2005, 06:23 PM
hey clayj, even though its a bit off topic...

could you give us a report of your experiances with regards to the video playing battery life? ilounge is taking waaay to long for my impatient tastes :D

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 06:24 PM

could you give us a report of your experiances with regards to the video playing battery life? ilounge is taking waaay to long for my impatient tastes :DI haven't sat down with it and played a movie from beginning to end yet... may try that later this evening. I'll go from a full charge and see how much is left after a two-hour movie.

Tommyg117
Oct 19, 2005, 06:28 PM
If we change the screensize using Handbrake to eliminate the letterboxes in a widescreen movie, will it still play on the ipod? I got a movie working but it was full screen. Now I want to see if I can get rid of the black boxes because they take up a lot of the already small screen. If I change the size, will it even let me import the movie to itunes and cut out the areas that don't fit in the screen or not accept it in itunes at all?

Mike Teezie
Oct 19, 2005, 06:32 PM

could you give us a report of your experiances with regards to the video playing battery life? ilounge is taking waaay to long for my impatient tastes :D

ilounge is saying 2 hours is a conservative estimate. They got over 3 hours.

Link. (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/top-ten-things-techies-wanted-to-know-about-the-5g-ipod/) Check out #6.

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 08:53 PM
OK, I reripped Blade Runner using H.264, and once again, the iPod would not accept the resulting movie. Therefore, I conclude that the H.264 option in Handbrake should NOT be used.

Totalshock
Oct 19, 2005, 09:06 PM
OK, I reripped Blade Runner using H.264, and once again, the iPod would not accept the resulting movie. Therefore, I conclude that the H.264 option in Handbrake should NOT be used.

Glad to hear it confirmed. FWIW, DiveIntoMark has updated his online guide... and this time, he's reccomending MPEG-4. And he's eliminated all mention of using MacTheRipper as part of the equation.

Have you experimented yet with putting video off your iPod onto a TV screen, and if so, any comment on how that whole experience worked out?

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 09:11 PM
Glad to hear it confirmed. FWIW, DiveIntoMark has updated his online guide... and this time, he's reccomending MPEG-4. And he's eliminated all mention of using MacTheRipper as part of the equation.

Have you experimented yet with putting video off your iPod onto a TV screen, and if so, any comment on how that whole experience worked out?Cool, I'll try using his updated steps and will update my steps once I confirm they work. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who's had trouble trying to use H.264.

Haven't tried hooking the iPod up to a TV yet... I can't stand using RCA, so if I get a Dock with an S-Video out, I'll try that. No idea when (or if) I will be doing that, though.

freeny
Oct 19, 2005, 10:18 PM
moved this over from another thread.....

so i finally got my equipment hooked it up and so...
out of the six compression versions I did of the same spongebob episode only 3 were accepted. all six of the compressions were exported from handbrake.
none of the H.264 versions were accepted including versions true to apples specs. yes clayj you were correct (perhaps this is a handbrake issue?) all three of the versions that were accepted were mp4 compressions and were set as followed;

A-320x240 at 1000kbps, audio 160kbps 48 khz (22min at 187.5mb)
B-same as above but at 2500kbps (22min at 233.2mb)
C-480x368 at 1000kbps, audio 160kbps 48 khz (22min at 187.5mb)
they all looked fantastic on the ipod screen.

didnt take;
D-mp4 480x360 at 2500kbps, audio 160kbps 48 khz (22min at 429.4mb) this is apples stated max for an mp4.
the other two were h.264 versions. both whithin apples specs.

so now for the tv broadcast quality;
all three were surprisingly not bad. the 480x360 was the sharpest and at times showed some "blocking" but for the most part played at about basic broadcast quality and somewhat short of dvd quality. the other two were similar but a bit more "fuzzed" which I actually preferred because it "fuzzed" the occasional blocking to the point where you didnt notice it. but the fuzzing certainly dropped the quality down a notch to about broadcast quality and certainly less than dvd quality.

seeing that the C version was the sharpest and came in with the smallest size this is what Im going with. im curious to see why the h.264 wasnt working because the image quality was comparable or better and was coming in at sizes around 87mb. if anyone can make these work please let us know.

Totalshock
Oct 19, 2005, 10:39 PM
all three were surprisingly not bad. the 480x360 was the sharpest and at times showed some "blocking" but for the most part played at about basic broadcast quality and somewhat short of dvd quality. the other two were similar but a bit more "fuzzed" which I actually preferred because it "fuzzed" the occasional blocking to the point where you didnt notice it. but the fuzzing certainly dropped the quality down a notch to about broadcast quality and certainly less than dvd quality.

seeing that the C version was the sharpest and came in with the smallest size this is what Im going with. im curious to see why the h.264 wasnt working because the image quality was comparable or better and was coming in at sizes around 87mb. if anyone can make these work please let us know.

Interesting. Some people had complained that anything in resolutions higher than 320 across were not looking as good on the iPod screen, because the iPod has to scale the image down as it were. Which seemed odd to me. Any comments on this? I'm wondering if that concern may have come from using the iPod max res of 480x480, which may or may not have caused some stretching or warping? I don't know. Your input would be most welcome.

freeny
Oct 19, 2005, 10:46 PM
Interesting. Some people had complained that anything in resolutions higher than 320 across were not looking as good on the iPod screen, because the iPod has to scale the image down as it were. Which seemed odd to me. Any comments on this? I'm wondering if that concern may have come from using the iPod max res of 480x480, which may or may not have caused some stretching or warping? I don't know. Your input would be most welcome.
sitting here right now watching the 480x368 version and it looks great. no issues. perhaps a 480 square might squash and distort? i think as long as you stick to the 320x240, 480x368 etc. ratio things should be fine.

Jovian9
Oct 19, 2005, 10:59 PM
My 2 cents for ripping episodes or parts of a dvd:

I have ripped my DVD's with MacTheRipper.

I then use Cinematize so that I can grab whatever I want from the DVD's (chapters, episodes, etc.). So far I've been ripping Family Guy and Music Video DVD's. So I can specifically take an episode at a time from Family Guy or 1 Music Video and convert them to QT and put them onto my iPod individually.

I understand that Handbrake will work well too when you just want the entire contents of the video_ts folder, but this is for picking and choosing what you want off of the dvd instead of the whole movie

freeny
Oct 19, 2005, 11:01 PM
does anyone know why mp4 videos have no preview image in itunes? the h.264 versions had a little icon from the video even though they didnt make it onto the pod. anyone know a fix? tried to copy and paste an image but that froze itunes (oops).

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 11:07 PM
does anyone know why mp4 videos have no preview image in itunes? the h.264 versions had a little icon from the video even though they didnt make it onto the pod. anyone know a fix? tried to copy and paste an image but that froze itunes (oops).My MP4s DO have preview images... but they appear to be the first frame (or thereabouts) from the video. For Blade Runner, the preview image is the Warner Brothers logo. For Sin City, it's a black frame, which makes sense since the first thing you see in Sin City is the Dimension Films logo fade in.

Jovian9
Oct 19, 2005, 11:11 PM
I should add that I use the QT Full Quality creation format on Cinematize. This creates huge file sizes of QT movies when it converts the video_ts file to QT. But this setting can be adjusted to all kinds of formats (mpeg 4 and H264 included).
Once I have the video_ts file converted to QT I then use QT Pro's export to iPod feature to create the 5G/iTunes 6 compatible iPod file. These look AWESOME on the iPod. Unfortunately my dock still has yet to ship (not until 10/27 now) so I cannot test the video out with an s-video cable yet.

Totalshock
Oct 19, 2005, 11:13 PM
sitting here right now watching the 480x368 version and it looks great. no issues. perhaps a 480 square might squash and distort? i think as long as you stick to the 320x240, 480x368 etc. ratio things should be fine.

Thanks for the feedback. Don't know if this'll hold true with video off the iPod, but just tried viewing some stuff I ripped in an odd widescreen format -- ended up 320x112 or something like that -- on my TV, off my PowerBook in fullscreen, and it looks quite watchable, although not perfect, on my pretty-average 36-inch RCA normal boring TV.

320x112, 23.98 FPS, set for 500 kbps, but QuickTime reports actual as 305.94 kbps, audio 44,100 Hz, 128 kbps. End file is 1:16:15, and only 170 MB.

Not saying it's for everybody, but I bet it'll be quite watchable on the iPod, and even passable on a normal def boring old TV like mine.

freeny
Oct 19, 2005, 11:13 PM
My MP4s DO have preview images... but they appear to be the first frame (or thereabouts) from the video. For Blade Runner, the preview image is the Warner Brothers logo. For Sin City, it's a black frame, which makes sense since the first thing you see in Sin City is the Dimension Films logo fade in.
thanks. all mine are black squares but all the clips start off black so this makes sense. ill try to insert 1 frame at the start and see what happens.....

Chundles
Oct 19, 2005, 11:14 PM
My MP4s DO have preview images... but they appear to be the first frame (or thereabouts) from the video. For Blade Runner, the preview image is the Warner Brothers logo. For Sin City, it's a black frame, which makes sense since the first thing you see in Sin City is the Dimension Films logo fade in.

You can pause the film at any time, ctrl-click on the image and click "set poster frame" now the frame you have selected is the preview image.

Totalshock
Oct 19, 2005, 11:17 PM
does anyone know why mp4 videos have no preview image in itunes? the h.264 versions had a little icon from the video even though they didnt make it onto the pod. anyone know a fix? tried to copy and paste an image but that froze itunes (oops).

If you have video playing in iTunes -- either in its own window or in the little Now Playing box where album art appears, you can pause the movie whereever you like, and right click or ctrl+click anywhere on the image, and you'll get the option to Set Poster Frame. This allows you to pick, quite literally, any scene from the video as the poster which will show up in iTunes.

Hope that helps.

Chundles
Oct 19, 2005, 11:19 PM
My 2 cents for ripping episodes or parts of a dvd:

I have ripped my DVD's with MacTheRipper.

I then use Cinematize so that I can grab whatever I want from the DVD's (chapters, episodes, etc.). So far I've been ripping Family Guy and Music Video DVD's. So I can specifically take an episode at a time from Family Guy or 1 Music Video and convert them to QT and put them onto my iPod individually.

I understand that Handbrake will work well too when you just want the entire contents of the video_ts folder, but this is for picking and choosing what you want off of the dvd instead of the whole movie

Handbrake can very easily rip individual episodes from a DVD of TV shows.

Up the top left hand corner of the main window is a pulldown menu called "title" listing the main tracks on the DVD. They are listed in playing order and since the shows are about half an hour it's not hard to pick which one is which. Sure they don't give them a name but they are in order so you can just check on the DVD box to see the names. Then just select one, put in the settings and rip.

It's not hard.

clayj
Thanks, Chundles and Totalshock, for that very useful tip!

Chundles
If you have video playing in iTunes -- either in its own window or in the little Now Playing box where album art appears, you can pause the movie whereever you like, and right click or ctrl+click anywhere on the image, and you'll get the option to Set Poster Frame. This allows you to pick, quite literally, any scene from the video as the poster which will show up in iTunes.

Hope that helps.

Snap!

Axxis22
Oct 19, 2005, 11:20 PM
crap.. I need to exchange my 30gig for the 60gig after seeing this post

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 11:22 PM
crap.. I need to exchange my 30gig for the 60gig after seeing this postAnd keep it IN the protective plastic wrap UNTIL you get a protector for it...

freeny
Oct 19, 2005, 11:23 PM
You can pause the film at any time, ctrl-click on the image and click "set poster frame" now the frame you have selected is the preview image.
You rock the casbah! nice tip. worked like a charm :)

madmaxmedia
Oct 20, 2005, 12:29 AM
On this thread, a guy apparently has figured what tweaks are necessary to compile HandBrake so H264 encoding works for iPod:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=948
(4th post down)

On page 2 of the thread, the developer (I think) posted a sample H264 file that apparently works. I dont have my iPod yet, so cant test it. Maybe some of you guys can try, and post on that board?

clayj
Oct 20, 2005, 12:36 AM
On this thread, a guy apparently has figured what tweaks are necessary to compile HandBrake so H264 encoding works for iPod:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=948
(4th post down)

On page 2 of the thread, the developer (I think) posted a sample H264 file that apparently works. I dont have my iPod yet, so cant test it. Maybe some of you guys can try, and post on that board?Are you talking about the part where we just rename the file's extension from MP4 to M4V and that makes it work? :confused:

madmaxmedia
Oct 20, 2005, 12:45 AM
No, although that was weird...

Somebody posted about some various tweaks to re-compile HandBrake for iPod. I don't know if it works or is ready yet.

On the second page of that thread, someone with title 'developer' posted a sample movie that is supposed to work on iPods. Maybe give that a try?

EDIT- here's the link-
http://lapsus.org/~titer/temp/Movie.mp4
Maybe try renaming it to '.m4v' if it doesn't work as is?

clayj
Oct 20, 2005, 12:58 AM
No, although that was weird...

Somebody posted about some various tweaks to re-compile HandBrake for iPod. I don't know if it works or is ready yet.

On the second page of that thread, someone with title 'developer' posted a sample movie that is supposed to work on iPods. Maybe give that a try?

EDIT- here's the link-
http://lapsus.org/~titer/temp/Movie.mp4
Maybe try renaming it to '.m4v' if it doesn't work as is?No, that file added fine as is, without having to rename it. (It's Kevin Bacon... I think from Stir of Echoes.)

madmaxmedia
Oct 20, 2005, 01:02 AM
No, that file added fine as is, without having to rename it. (It's Kevin Bacon... I think from Stir of Echoes.)

So it played on your iPod?

If so, that's great news- an updated HandBrake with working H264 for iPod should be coming...

Now we just need a similar fix for ffmpegx!

Vissequ
Oct 28, 2005, 06:51 PM
Hello,

I followed the steps outlined here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=155847

And when I went back to check my computer after a few hours, I had an mp4 on my computer. When I clicked it and Quicktime 7.0.3 opened it said:

QuickTime cannot open the file: "Amadeus.mp4"
it is not a file that QuickTime understands (-2048)

I think I followed all the steps correctly, what is wrong?

Thanks,
Connor

asherman13
Oct 28, 2005, 07:28 PM
Hello,

I followed the steps outlined here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=155847

And when I went back to check my computer after a few hours, I had an mp4 on my computer. When I clicked it and Quicktime 7.0.3 opened it said:

QuickTime cannot open the file: "Amadeus.mp4"
it is not a file that QuickTime understands (-2048)

I think I followed all the steps correctly, what is wrong?

Thanks,
Connor

let handbrake finish encoding. even though it may say 100%, its not done, so wait until it's really done.

blueflame
Oct 28, 2005, 08:19 PM
ive spent like forever ripping my dvds. from the day the ipod was released, ive ripped 20 of my dvds so far into h.264 becuase thats what was reccommended, and now its not gonna work!!!
CRAP!
that too sooooo long. sigh
this freakin ipod better be worth it, ive been waiting for this type of ipod since gen3. sigh, im tired of ripping, i dont wanna re-rip
andreas

clayj
Oct 28, 2005, 10:42 PM
ive spent like forever ripping my dvds. from the day the ipod was released, ive ripped 20 of my dvds so far into h.264 becuase thats what was reccommended, and now its not gonna work!!!
CRAP!
that too sooooo long. sigh
this freakin ipod better be worth it, ive been waiting for this type of ipod since gen3. sigh, im tired of ripping, i dont wanna re-rip
andreasYep. Turns out that H.264 should work, but it doesn't because of a problem with Handbrake. When a new version of Handbrake is released that makes an iPod-compatible H.264 file, I'll update the steps here.

JW008
Oct 29, 2005, 01:23 PM
I'm having trouble with certain movies. I was ripping all the Tarantino movies and only Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill Vol. 1 worked. The problem was the drop down menu in the top right hand corner of handbrake labeled title. It only gave me two options on the Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill Vol. 2 DVDs---both of which were the previews before the menu screen. I've had absolutely no problem ripping the first two season of Arrested Development, but ran into trouble when ripping full length movies. Any idea on how to fix this?? Should I do it on Mac the Ripper first and then go through Handbrake. Thanks, you all--

clayj
Oct 29, 2005, 01:38 PM
I'm having trouble with certain movies. I was ripping all the Tarantino movies and only Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill Vol. 1 worked. The problem was the drop down menu in the top right hand corner of handbrake labeled title. It only gave me two options on the Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill Vol. 2 DVDs---both of which were the previews before the menu screen. I've had absolutely no problem ripping the first two season of Arrested Development, but ran into trouble when ripping full length movies. Any idea on how to fix this?? Should I do it on Mac the Ripper first and then go through Handbrake. Thanks, you all--You need to do a "Main Feature Extraction" in MtR... this will pull the MOVIE off the DVD, not the titles, previews, etc. Then use Handbrake to do the rest. If you use Handbrake for the entire process, make sure you pull the LONGEST title from the DVD. This will almost always be the main feature.

If neither of those work, it could be that the layout of certain DVDs complicates the process.

JW008
Oct 29, 2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks for your help, clayj, but it's still not working. The only two titles (in Pulp Fiction for example) are previews for other movies (the longest being 1 min 13 sec). I tried doing the Main Feature extraction through MtR, but it doesn't recognize it in Handbrake. (e.g. At the "Select a DVD:" screen I go down to DVD Folder / Image and select the extraction, but it doesn't recognize it) I guess no Pulp Fiction for me....:(

Sky Blue
Oct 29, 2005, 02:11 PM
You need to do a "Main Feature Extraction" in MtR... this will pull the MOVIE off the DVD, not the titles, previews, etc. Then use Handbrake to do the rest. If you use Handbrake for the entire process, make sure you pull the LONGEST title from the DVD. This will almost always be the main feature.

If neither of those work, it could be that the layout of certain DVDs complicates the process.

yup, doeasn't work on a lot of my DVDs (all six star wars, indiana jones, back to the future..)... I either get no valid title or only the bonus material. That's doing it either way.

Sky Blue
Oct 29, 2005, 02:13 PM
let handbrake finish encoding. even though it may say 100%, its not done, so wait until it's really done.

err.....my ffmpegx progress is saying 147% ...and still going!!
do i just let it run?

bepster
Oct 29, 2005, 02:37 PM
well, sky blue...just let it run... and run... and run... ;)

it will finish... but I don't get how something can be more than 100% ready, I did some google-research about it found nothing!

carpe diem
Oct 29, 2005, 02:37 PM
Is mac the ripper not the same as handbrake?

Sky Blue
Oct 29, 2005, 03:35 PM
well, sky blue...just let it run... and run... and run... ;)

it will finish... but I don't get how something can be more than 100% ready, I did some google-research about it found nothing!

how high's the water, mama? 204% and rising...

clayj
Oct 29, 2005, 04:17 PM
Is mac the ripper not the same as handbrake?Why would you ask a question like that? :mad: It kinda irks me that you complain about other people "spamming" while at the same time posting stuff like this.

Obviously they are not the same thing. All MtR does is rip DVDs from the DVD onto your computer's HD. Handbrake re-encodes video from DVD format to other formats (MP4, AVI, etc.).

err.....my ffmpegx progress is saying 147% ...and still going!!
do i just let it run?I know nothing about trying to use that program... my steps were designed for Mac the Ripper and Handbrake. How other programs behave (or don't) is not known to me.

asherman13
Oct 29, 2005, 06:36 PM
yup, doeasn't work on a lot of my DVDs (all six star wars, indiana jones, back to the future..)... I either get no valid title or only the bonus material. That's doing it either way.

not for me. so far, star wars I, II, IV, V, VI have all worked. i'll be trying III on tuesday evening:p then again, i'm using handbrake 0.7 beta2, as i have a g3 and beta3 won't work for me

as for DVDs not working for me, only national treasure...sadly...

Sky Blue
Oct 29, 2005, 06:39 PM
not for me. so far, star wars I, II, IV, V, VI have all worked. i'll be trying III on tuesday evening:p then again, i'm using handbrake 0.7 beta2, as i have a g3 and beta3 won't work for me

as for DVDs not working for me, only national treasure...sadly...

I got my Episode 3 in the mail today, tried it and it didn't work, maybe i'll give beta2 a go....

EDIT: Dude, you are the man...seems all i had to do was down grade...it recognises them...w00t!

EDIT2: Nope it was down to the fact that my drive was region 2 and the DVD was region 1!

blueflame
Oct 30, 2005, 08:27 PM
other than obviously being a different codec, waht is teh difference between h.264 and mpeg 4? like, how is it usably different, quality, etc... what do i need to know?
andreas

ToddW
Oct 30, 2005, 10:10 PM
Has anyone tried doing this without the intermediary step of using MacTheRipper... just using Handbrake to extract video, and playing the result on the iPod? That's what I've been trying to do... don't have the iPod 5G yet, but do have a bunch of stuff that I ripped out of DVD in H.264 that I'm going to have to re-rip to make it work on the Pod, by the looks of it.

Alternately, does anyone have a decent rationale (time savings?) for MacTheRippering your DVD to your HD, and then extracting the video with Handbrake, as opposed to just extracting with Handbrake straight from the DVD?

I'm curious.

Personally i've been ripping dvds with mac the ripper first, just so i can archive the dvd, then i convert that dvd image to mpeg4 using handbrake. it doesn't really take that long to rip with mac the ripper and that way i have an image. handbrake can just extract it from the dvd itself but my guess is it will be slower.

JW008
Oct 30, 2005, 11:14 PM
I just wanted to echo what asherman13 and Sky Blue said---it seems that if you "downgrade" your version of Handbrake it will recognize more DVDs. I downloaded version 0.6.2 and I'm having no trouble ripping Pulp Fiction now. It's even ripping at twice the rate it was on the most up-to-date version. Just thought some people might be wondering...

clayj
Oct 30, 2005, 11:27 PM
Personally i've been ripping dvds with mac the ripper first, just so i can archive the dvd, then i convert that dvd image to mpeg4 using handbrake. it doesn't really take that long to rip with mac the ripper and that way i have an image. handbrake can just extract it from the dvd itself but my guess is it will be slower.Exactly so.

Also, my experience with Handbrake shows that there are more problems if you allow it to extract the DVD content from the DVD, rather than using Mac the Ripper for the intermediate step of transferring the DVD content to the HD.

Sky Blue
Oct 31, 2005, 02:08 AM
I just wanted to echo what asherman13 and Sky Blue said---it seems that if you "downgrade" your version of Handbrake it will recognize more DVDs. I downloaded version 0.6.2 and I'm having no trouble ripping Pulp Fiction now. It's even ripping at twice the rate it was on the most up-to-date version. Just thought some people might be wondering...

Downgrading did work for me on a few, but I reliased that the reason the majority of my DVDs weren't recognised was because my drive was set to region 2 and the DVDs were region 1.

Loge
Oct 31, 2005, 02:22 AM
All my DVDs are region 2 btw, but so far I am finding that the 0.7 beta 1 of handbrake is recognising more DVDs than the beta 3 (for example the BBC Jonathan Creek DVDs).

mac_hine82
Nov 4, 2005, 01:03 AM
When is Apple going to make it as easy to import a DVD as it is to do a CD. Come on Apple fight for us!

clayj
Nov 4, 2005, 09:02 AM
When is Apple going to make it as easy to import a DVD as it is to do a CD. Come on Apple fight for us!They won't, and can't. Technically, ripping a DVD is a violation of the DMCA. It's illegal.

That said, there are ways to do it that comply with the spirit of the law, if not the letter of the law. This thread documents one of those ways.

lopresmb
Nov 4, 2005, 10:31 AM
I thought that it was "technically" illegal enen with personally owned CD's. It has just long been considered under the fair use policy.

--correct me if I am mistaken...

madmaxmedia
Nov 4, 2005, 11:11 AM
I thought that it was "technically" illegal enen with personally owned CD's. It has just long been considered under the fair use policy.

It's not illegal in the USA, since there is no encryption being circumvented. That's why it's illegal to rip DVD's.

This is not something Apple can really fight, it's just the law. But what Apple can (and perhaps has tried) to do is approach the movie industry and try to make an agreement. They could offer pretty stringent DRM on ripped movies, and only say 320 x 240 H264 so the movie industry isn't worried about losing sales.

The DRM could lock movies to a single iPod/computer, and also have a time limit (say 30 days) to prevent people from renting and ripping. After the 30 days, you could perhaps stick the DVD in your computer to extend the time limit another 30 days.

I think this would actually be attractive to the movie industry, as it would encourage general consumers to use this option, vs. exploring illegal options that then give them unprotected and sharable rips in any kind of format (from straight DVD copies to high quality Divx/Xvid, etc.)

freeny
Nov 4, 2005, 11:19 AM
They won't, and can't. Technically, ripping a DVD is a violation of the DMCA. It's illegal.

That said, there are ways to do it that comply with the spirit of the law, if not the letter of the law. This thread documents one of those ways.

Clayj, Arent you being hippocritical? you have been posting on this subject for weeks telling everyone how to rip your dvds for the ipod which it technically "illegal" depending on how YOU interperated it.

You recently scolded someone for asking a question about Torrenting that may or may not be legal depending on how YOU interperated it. (thread has been pulled upon YOUR request). YOU interperated that subject as an illegal action without reading into the subject.

Here, YOU are interpreting personal dvd ripping as "LEGAL", so its okay?

I like you and your posts but im seeing a little bit of megalomania here. Is this fair?

Chundles
Nov 4, 2005, 11:22 AM

No, you're right, well, in Australia you are.

Here it is illegal to rip a CD, no matter if you bought it or not, you are not allowed to take music from that CD and turn it into another format or make a new CD from the old one or anything along those lines.

I think the ARIA (money grubbing mongrels they are) have said that they won't prosecute people who have ripped their CD collection to their mp3 players as it probably does come under some "fair use" ideal.

As for movies, heeellll no. It's still technically illegal to record anything from the TV, let alone ripping DVD's to a smaller format.

madmaxmedia
Nov 4, 2005, 11:37 AM
Clayj, Arent you being hippocritical? you have been posting on this subject for weeks telling everyone how to rip your dvds for the ipod which it technically "illegal" depending on how YOU interperated it.

You recently scolded someone for asking a question about Torrenting that may or may not be legal depending on how YOU interperated it. (thread has been pulled upon YOUR request). YOU interperated that subject as an illegal action without reading into the subject.

I like you and your posts but im seeing a little bit of megalomania here. Is this fair?

On a message board like this, it's probably not kosher to provide directions on anything illegal, period. So that goes for downloading copyright material on BitTorrent as well as ripping copyright DVD's.

Although it may not be illegal in all countries to rip DVD's. I seem to recall when I downloaded DVD Decrypter for Windows, there was a page stating that I needed to check to see if it was legal in my country (which of course it wasn't.)

clayj
Nov 4, 2005, 11:37 AM

I like you and your posts but im seeing a little bit of megalomania here. Is this fair?No, I don't feel I'm being hypocritical... ripping DVDs into MP4 files is technically illegal, but it still falls under the "fair use" doctrine and does not result in any monetary losses to the copyright holder. If I rip my DVD of Fight Club onto my iPod, that doesn't hurt 20th Century Fox.

Sharing movies, on the other hand, not only violates the letter of the law (copyright), but also the SPIRIT of it. If I rip Fight Club from my DVD into an MP4 file and then post it on BitTorrent or anywhere else where people can download it, THAT causes a monetary loss to 20th Century Fox.

I hope you can understand the difference here. Ripping does not hurt the copyright holder; redistributing does.

With respect to that other thread, the OP had explicitly asked me in a Private Message if I'd be willing to post movies I'd ripped from my DVDs on BitTorrent. That's why I came down on him so hard.

There's no megalomania here, and I certainly don't advocate anyone doing anything that will cause monetary loss to a copyright holder. Copyright law is well-established and I respect it; the provisions in DMCA which prevent us DVD owners from ripping DVDs for our own personal use are poorly written and I choose not to accept them... doing so causes no harm to anyone.

madmaxmedia
Nov 4, 2005, 12:00 PM
With respect to that other thread, the OP had explicitly asked me in a Private Message if I'd be willing to post movies I'd ripped from my DVDs on BitTorrent. That's why I came down on him so hard.

Yeah, that would seem pretty different situation... ;)

BTW, can you? JK-

freeny
Nov 4, 2005, 12:07 PM

Not knowing that the OP had PM'd you certainly changes things and Im sorry. But taken at face value I couldnt help but be a little taken back.

Okay.....

NOW LET"S GO RIP SOME DVD"S!!:rolleyes:

vankras
Nov 4, 2005, 12:15 PM
Unfortunately, although I was able to download the DVDx, it keeps saying that my DVD is over 2GB and refuses the DVD. has anyone seen this problem? know how to fix it?

asherman13
Nov 4, 2005, 07:00 PM
i'm pretty sure that the DMCA stipulates that it's only illegal to rip IF AND ONLY IF you're defeating an encoded lock on the DVD. that doesn't mean it's illegal if your program defeats it without your knowledge (i.e. handbrake), rather, it's illegal of you enable/command the program to defeat the encoding on the DVD.

i'm on my 25th movie:D

clayj
Nov 6, 2005, 10:36 AM
BTW, the new version of Handbrake (0.7.0) now includes an H.264 "Baseline" option that should work with Gen5 iPods. I am testing this option now and will report back when I have some numbers.

asherman13
Nov 6, 2005, 12:07 PM
BTW, the new version of Handbrake (0.7.0) now includes an H.264 "Baseline" option that should work with Gen5 iPods. I am testing this option now and will report back when I have some numbers.

i haven't downloaded it yet...any idea if it has g3 support?

EDIT fyi: the new version of Handbrake DOES NOT have g3 support, or at least it doesn't for me...if anybody gets it to work on a g3, let me know...

neonart
Nov 8, 2005, 05:25 PM
I've been trying different settings in Handbrake to get good movies out to TV. I'm not overly concerned on size. I tried 640*272 and 640*346 and both look great once sent to TV for wide screen. For 3x4 I'm doing 544*416.

As some site posted (can't remember which) as long as you stay at 230,400 pixels altogether or less, the iPod can handle it in mpeg-4 format.

My question is what is a good compression for good quality? I've done 768kbps and there is noticeable artifacts and graininess when seen on a computer. Apple says mpeg-4 can go to 2.5 mbps. Is there a setting any of you recommend?

The iPod works great as a "ultra-portable VCR" (or DVD player for you kids)! I love to have several movies loaded into it beforehand and whenever we want to see one then just grab the iPod and plug it to the nearest TV...:cool:

bepster
Nov 8, 2005, 06:27 PM
As some site posted (can't remember which) as long as you stay at 230,400 pixels altogether or less, the iPod can handle it in mpeg-4 format.

My question is what is a good compression for good quality? I've done 768kbps and there is noticeable artifacts and graininess when seen on a computer. Apple says mpeg-4 can go to 2.5 mbps. Is there a setting any of you recommend?

The iPod works great as a "ultra-portable VCR" (or DVD player for you kids)! I love to have several movies loaded into it beforehand and whenever we want to see one then just grab the iPod and plug it to the nearest TV...:cool:

good question, I chose 1200 and it works fine... but of course, it's all about the final file size, how much you want to sacrifice!

this thing about the "portable movie-player" is absolutly true, I love that!!

madmaxmedia
Nov 8, 2005, 07:33 PM
I think 1200 kbps is a good number to shoot for for good to very good quality.

Also, another equally worthwile option is to decrease resolution to say 480 x XXX, and use the 800 kbps bitrate. It will actually look much better, and sharpness should still be pretty good on most TV sets.

nofxman64
Nov 14, 2005, 09:52 AM
1. Download Mac the Ripper and Handbrake (http://handbrake.m0k.org/). (You'll have to Google for the current location of Mac the Ripper...)

Mac The Ripper is curently located at http://www.losprimates.net/mtr/

I have been ripping dvds straight using handbrake and they work fine. I have ripped alot of family guy episodes the only problem is I cant rip kill bill 2. If I use Mac The ripper first will that work?

drater
Nov 14, 2005, 11:27 AM
1. Download Mac the Ripper and Handbrake (http://handbrake.m0k.org/). (You'll have to Google for the current location of Mac the Ripper...)

Mac The Ripper is curently located at http://www.losprimates.net/mtr/

I have been ripping dvds straight using handbrake and they work fine. I have ripped alot of family guy episodes the only problem is I cant rip kill bill 2. If I use Mac The ripper first will that work?
It could work, just try it out and see. There were a couple videos I ran into a problem with ripping it with either handbrake and mactheripper. (ie. National Treasure)....if anyone figures out a solution I'd like to know as well.

freeny
Nov 14, 2005, 11:30 AM
It could work, just try it out and see. There were a couple videos I ran into a problem with ripping it with either handbrake and mactheripper. (ie. National Treasure)....if anyone figures out a solution I'd like to know as well.
I have had problems with "Eurotrip" and "Ice Age" using Handbrake. I would like to see if I have the same issues with the new release of 7.0

tobefirst
Nov 14, 2005, 11:57 AM
I have had problems with "Eurotrip" and "Ice Age" using Handbrake. I would like to see if I have the same issues with the new release of 7.0

Ice Age was the first movie I ripped. Worked just fine after I figured out which audio track to use. (: I used the directors' cut one the first time.

nofxman64
Nov 25, 2005, 01:58 PM
The new version of Handbrake(7.0) works with kill bill 2

deanwaterman
Nov 25, 2005, 02:41 PM

I'm curious.

I haven't used Mac the Ripper at all. I started using Handbrake to move DVD movies into MPEG4 for use on my iPod 5G. It seems to work quite nice.

macMD
Nov 25, 2005, 09:09 PM
Just started today with ripping my DVD's in advance of getting 5G 60GB iPod. Definitely had alot of issues with ripping my first movie today, so I am trying alot of different options including waiting for Handbrake to say "done". I also decided to try MtR first and compress from there. Lots of great help here.

r6girl
Dec 18, 2005, 02:51 PM
i just wanted to thank clayj for the great site and instructions! these instructions to convert dvd's (that i own ;) ) into files to play on my ipod have worked perfectly!

thanks so much! :)

moooosedude
Dec 18, 2005, 02:54 PM
i have to say, having dvd's on my ipod is the greatest thing since sliced bread. although once in a while...handbreaks files play on my mac, but dont have sound when there on the ipod! oh well. thanks again

~erik

wattage
Dec 18, 2005, 04:14 PM
What are the options if you want to add chapters to movies?? This is a really big deal I think. Who want to waste their battery or time fast forwarding the movie to get to what you want to see???

I found a site from another thread:http://www.quicktiming.org/tutorials/chapter.php

This is very complicated though!!

840quadra
Dec 21, 2005, 05:08 PM
Thanks Clayj and others for this thread!

It is working quite a bit faster then copying my ripped DVD files ( all movies I own) into imovie, then converting them to an ipod video. Using that method took upto 10 hours on my Dual 2.0 G5 !

freeny
Dec 23, 2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks Clayj and others for this thread!

It is working quite a bit faster then copying my ripped DVD files ( all movies I own) into imovie, then converting them to an ipod video. Using that method took upto 10 hours on my Dual 2.0 G5 !
WOW! the import conversion time to DV into imove must take forever!

puckhead193
Dec 24, 2005, 03:43 PM

which version did you download for each? :confused:

wattage
Dec 24, 2005, 04:18 PM
which version did you download for each? :confused:
Handbrake vers. 0.7.0
MTR 2.6.6

ChrisFromCanada
Dec 24, 2005, 11:25 PM

I really hope it does. I have spent the last few days ripping 20+ hours of DVDs using the Baseline Profile, so somebody will have some content for their new video iPod on the big day tomorrow morning, whoa its christmas here already!

puckhead193
Dec 25, 2005, 12:38 PM
what size should the picture be if its widescreen? :confused:
if i keep it the same the image won't full the screen... will it be too small to watch....

if i uncheck to keep aspect ratio and put in 320x240 will it still work/come out ok.... what should i do..

tamachan3
Dec 25, 2005, 04:32 PM
i dont know if anyone knows already.. but theres a really cool program called videora ipod converter that converts normal videos like avis to mpeg4/h264 really easily, and they work on the ipod! and its free! i think there have been some issues with really long videos like dvds but for tv shows etc it works fine. Heres the link.. http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/ and the forum.. http://www.pspvideo9.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18&sid=d3ed835920543b6e1b3d049b019baac5

Chubypig
Dec 26, 2005, 11:08 AM
i dont know if anyone knows already.. but theres a really cool program called videora ipod converter that converts normal videos like avis to mpeg4/h264 really easily, and they work on the ipod! and its free! i think there have been some issues with really long videos like dvds but for tv shows etc it works fine. Heres the link.. http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/ and the forum.. http://www.pspvideo9.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18&sid=d3ed835920543b6e1b3d049b019baac5

that's windows only.

How come this thread isn't a sticky?

jkelly888
Dec 26, 2005, 04:10 PM
does mtr and handbrake have windows xp versions? if not, does anyone know steps for windows users?

tdbaws
Dec 27, 2005, 10:35 AM
i haven't seen any posts about this using the avi format in handbreak. i realize that everyone here is using the lower one for ipod, but i need to use avi to convert it over to .mov and then be able to cut and splice different scenes in final cut. i have ripped dvd's before no problem with this format, but recently i have run into the trouble of after doing so, when i open up the file, it's just a whole ripped movie of a white screen and it's blank. any suggestions?

emutree
Dec 27, 2005, 11:33 AM
A FANTASTIC and just-released app for DVD-to-iPod rips is Handbrake Lite by the guy who makes iSquint. You don't have to (or get to) fiddle with any options - just put your DVD in, pick the title and hit rip. It crops it to 320x240 if it's widescreen, and rips to (great quality) MPEG 4. I've found it rips forty-five minute shows in about half an hour, and I've gotten half hour sitcoms in about twenty minutes. Definitely worth using.
Download from http://www.isquint.org/.

mashinhead
Dec 29, 2005, 12:26 PM
what if handbrake isn't recognizing DVDs, I've put 4 in and is says it can't find any?

BTW i have run it with detected volume, and i scans the title and says the same thing

neonart
Dec 29, 2005, 04:52 PM
what if handbrake isn't recognizing DVDs, I've put 4 in and is says it can't find any?

BTW i have run it with detected volume, and i scans the title and says the same thing

Use Mac the Ripper to Rip to your HD, then use Handbrake to convert. This was probably mentioned here earlier.

puckhead193
Dec 29, 2005, 04:59 PM
A FANTASTIC and just-released app for DVD-to-iPod rips is Handbrake Lite by the guy who makes iSquint. You don't have to (or get to) fiddle with any options - just put your DVD in, pick the title and hit rip. It crops it to 320x240 if it's widescreen, and rips to (great quality) MPEG 4. I've found it rips forty-five minute shows in about half an hour, and I've gotten half hour sitcoms in about twenty minutes. Definitely worth using.
anyone else tried this?

neonart
Dec 29, 2005, 05:00 PM
anyone... :confused: :o
if i uncheck to keep aspect ratio and put in 320x240 will it still work/come out ok.... what should i do..

You don't need to run 320x240 in MPEG4. Use 640x346 (or 640x272) for wide screen. 544x416 for standard 4x3. This allows you to also export to a TV with less picture degradation.

mashinhead
Dec 29, 2005, 07:04 PM
listen i used mac the ripper got the file to the desktop. Then used hand brake saved it has an Mpeg 4, H.264, AAC audio file at 544x240 pixels. Imported it in to iTunes, where it plays, deleted everything from my ipod, changed settings to manual, and dragged it into the ipod, where it is no where to be found. Why can't i put it on my ipod?

neonart
Dec 29, 2005, 09:21 PM
listen i used mac the ripper got the file to the desktop. Then used hand brake saved it has an Mpeg 4, H.264, AAC audio file at 544x240 pixels. Imported it in to iTunes, where it plays, deleted everything from my ipod, changed settings to manual, and dragged it into the ipod, where it is no where to be found. Why can't i put it on my ipod?

1) I don't think the iPod will play h.264 in higher resolutions than 320x240. Only in MPEG4.

2) Why manual settings? Once you've imported to iTunes (Add to Library in File menu) it'll automatically put it in you iPod on the next sync. As long as you have the correct settings, iTunes will do it correctly.

Here are some setting suggestions:

mashinhead
Dec 29, 2005, 09:31 PM
1) I don't think the iPod will play h.264 in higher resolutions than 320x240. Only in MPEG4.

yeah i just learned that, that's the problem. Is there anyway around that issue. the max for mpeg is 230000 pixels, about 540x380 or something. I want to rip things ONCE, if its in a large h.264 format, i can play it on the ipod and the computer, in theory, if they took of that restriction.

neonart
Dec 29, 2005, 09:51 PM
yeah i just learned that, that's the problem. Is there anyway around that issue. the max for mpeg is 230000 pixels, about 540x380 or something. I want to rip things ONCE, if its in a large h.264 format, i can play it on the ipod and the computer, in theory, if they took of that restriction.

Not sure it's a restriction. Probably more a limitation of the iPod. MPEG4 looks really good at the right settings. Just because h.264 is a newer format does not mean MPEG4 is not good. Just like AAC and MP3.

Here's a MPEG4, iPod ready sample:

mashinhead
Dec 31, 2005, 01:01 AM
Has anyone ever used OGM to rip a movie, Is the file size smaller but the quality comprable to h.264?

mashinhead
Dec 31, 2005, 01:02 AM
Not sure it's a restriction. Probably more a limitation of the iPod. MPEG4 looks really good at the right settings. Just because h.264 is a newer format does not mean MPEG4 is not good. Just like AAC and MP3.

Here's a MPEG4, iPod ready sample:

I thought the advantage with h.264 was that it was scalable without much quality loss. What is that size of that movie btw?

Chundles
Dec 31, 2005, 01:17 AM
I thought the advantage with h.264 was that it was scalable without much quality loss. What is that size of that movie btw?

Scaleable doesn't mean a movie you rip at 320x176 will look good displayed at 720x400. It means that a movie you rip at 320x176 will look as good as a movie you rip at 720x400 when viewed on screens at their appropriate resolutions.

H.264 is scaleable in that it works just as well for 3G phone videos as it does for 1080x1920 HD video.

mashinhead
Dec 31, 2005, 01:31 AM
when ripping video, how do bitrate and sample rate effect the turnout in size and quality

neonart
Dec 31, 2005, 09:30 AM

When you scale down, but not when you go up. It can't make pixels. Once you go from 320x240 to a TV it'll look really blurry and washed out.

That movie at almost two hours and 640x336 is 929MB. On the other hand, Tomb Raider 2, also two hours long but 640x272 is 754MB. Lemony Snicket, which is 640x336 and 1:47 is 680MB- but I used a slightly lower bitrate.

when ripping video, how do bitrate and sample rate effect the turnout in size and quality

Obviously, higher rates mean higher quality. But it comes to a point when the movie gets too big, so you need to find a sweet spot. The default 1000kbps is a really good average I've found. Doing 2-pass encoding is very important since it keeps the quality up at a lower bitrate (but takes longer).

clayj
Jan 1, 2006, 11:13 AM
I'm going to be posting an update to these instructions, possibly later today, to reflect that H.264 encoding is now available as an option that will work with iPod Gen5... I've ripped over 20 movies so far without any problems whatsoever.

The new steps will be posted in post 1 of this thread.

EDIT: The new directions are in post 1 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=1831933&postcount=1).

wattage
Jan 2, 2006, 04:30 AM
I'm going to be posting an update to these instructions, possibly later today, to reflect that H.264 encoding is now available as an option that will work with iPod Gen5... I've ripped over 20 movies so far without any problems whatsoever.

The new steps will be posted in post 1 of this thread.

EDIT: The new directions are in post 1 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=1831933&postcount=1).
Clayj, any thoughts on easily adding chapters to iPod DVDs, sometimes I don't want to watch the whole thing ya know.???

clayj
Jan 2, 2006, 10:24 AM
Clayj, any thoughts on easily adding chapters to iPod DVDs, sometimes I don't want to watch the whole thing ya know.???If you just want to rip a single chapter or a contiguous sequence of chapters (say, chapters 7 through 12, inclusive), use the Chapters controls in the Source section of Handbrake to change which chapter(s) will be ripped. The only limitation of this is that you cannot rip a non-contiguous selection in a single action; if you want chapters 7, 9, and 12 converted for use on your iPod, you will have to perform THREE conversions, one for each chapter (7 to 7; 9 to 9; and 12 to 12). Oh, and you'd have to use different file names for each chapter or chunk of chapters, obviously.

Beyond that, everything else would be exactly the same.

freeny
Jan 2, 2006, 10:44 AM
Perhaps apple will add a feature where the ipod could recognize chapter markers made in quicktime. This would be VERY nice. They could also make it allot easier to actually make the chapter markers in quicktime while they are at it. As of now you need to write a script and import it into quicktime. Wouldnt it just be easier to add a function where you hit a button at the point you'd like the chapter to be and it would be save as metadata? :confused: Sorry for the drift from topic.

clayj
Jan 2, 2006, 11:45 AM
Perhaps apple will add a feature where the ipod could recognize chapter markers made in quicktime. This would be VERY nice. They could also make it allot easier to actually make the chapter markers in quicktime while they are at it. As of now you need to write a script and import it into quicktime. Wouldnt it just be easier to add a function where you hit a button at the point you'd like the chapter to be and it would be save as metadata? :confused: Sorry for the drift from topic.I agree, it would be nice to be able to chapter forward/chapter back while watching a feature-length movie.

ibilly
Jan 2, 2006, 12:57 PM
Is there a way to make video playlists, because in that case, QT Pro makes short work of splitting a movie into smaller ones. select, copy, paste. You could just make a playlist for the movie and play it all the way through, or watch some chapters, etc. In the process of deleting some sketches, I split a best of SNL DVD into 4 files, each 15 mins (this works better for this particular DVD because I would want to skip around so much).

clayj
Jan 2, 2006, 01:17 PM
Is there a way to make video playlists, because in that case, QT Pro makes short work of splitting a movie into smaller ones. select, copy, paste. You could just make a playlist for the movie and play it all the way through, or watch some chapters, etc. In the process of deleting some sketches, I split a best of SNL DVD into 4 files, each 15 mins (this works better for this particular DVD because I would want to skip around so much).Well, "Video Playlists" is listed in the Video section of my iPod, so I'd say the answer is yes.

But until a simple method becomes available for ripping all "n" chapters of a movie (where "n" is an appreciably-high number) into sequentially-named video files, I will be passing on this.

ibilly
Jan 2, 2006, 06:16 PM
Well, "Video Playlists" is listed in the Video section of my iPod, so I'd say the answer is yes.

But until a simple method becomes available for ripping all "n" chapters of a movie (where "n" is an appreciably-high number) into sequentially-named video files, I will be passing on this.

Oh, c'mon. You know that you want 30-60 files a movie! It'd be fun to manage all of the chapters!

asherman13
Jan 2, 2006, 06:30 PM
just a quick question that i'm sure somebody's answered but i can't find it:

why is h.264 better for ipod-only playback? is it size of file? quality on ipod screen? better quality, everything else aside? what is it?

clayj
Jan 2, 2006, 06:36 PM
just a quick question that i'm sure somebody's answered but i can't find it:

why is h.264 better for ipod-only playback? is it size of file? quality on ipod screen? better quality, everything else aside? what is it?It has better video compression than MPEG-4 using the same settings (resolution, video bitrate), so you get smaller files (important for conserving your iPod's HD space). I can't back this up with scientific evidence, but the H.264 video seems clearer to me, too.

BUT, encoding H.264 takes longer than MPEG-4 (twice as long on average in my experience). And H.264 sucks for TV playback since the resolution is so low (320 x 240 max).

asherman13
Jan 2, 2006, 07:40 PM
It has better video compression than MPEG-4 using the same settings (resolution, video bitrate), so you get smaller files (important for conserving your iPod's HD space). I can't back this up with scientific evidence, but the H.264 video seems clearer to me, too.

BUT, encoding H.264 takes longer than MPEG-4 (twice as long on average in my experience). And H.264 sucks for TV playback since the resolution is so low (320 x 240 max).

ok....i know this is kinda personalized, but i'm looking for about 1hour = 100mb...does that sound good? and what settings would i use for it?

don't reply if you think it's too personalized, but i would appreciate it...

clayj
Jan 2, 2006, 07:45 PM
ok....i know this is kinda personalized, but i'm looking for about 1hour = 100mb...does that sound good? and what settings would i use for it?

don't reply if you think it's too personalized, but i would appreciate it...1 hour = 100 mb... hmm... at a guess, I'd say H.264, average video bitrate 400, audio 44000/160.

But if you look closely, you'll see that Handbrake offers a "Target size (MB)" option in the Video section. For a two-hour movie, try setting the target size value to 200 MB, and then do a rip and see what it does. I've not really been concerned too much about video sizes, but here are some sample numbers using my preferred values (from post #1):

The Island = 800 MB
Blade Runner = 688 MB
Sin City = 740 MB
Fight Club = 815 MB
THX 1138 = 516 MB
Black Hawk Down = 844 MB

Hope this helps!

840quadra
Jan 2, 2006, 07:51 PM
Clayj,

Have you tried DiVa for this yet?

I have that application on both my iBook and Powermacs at home. It supports encoding in H.264 natively and should be able to drop down to the correct encoding, and sizes.

I am going to try to give it a shot (tonight), unless you know of an issue with this, or have tried and failed doing so yourself. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

clayj
Jan 2, 2006, 07:53 PM
Clayj,

Have you tried DiVa for this yet?

I have that application on both my iBook and Powermacs at home. It supports encoding in H.264 natively and should be able to drop down to the correct encoding, and sizes.

I am going to try to give it a shot (tonight), unless you know of an issue with this, or have tried and failed doing so yourself. Please let me know your thoughts on this.Where do you get DiVa from? (I know, I could Google for it, but "Diva" is a common word.)

840quadra
Jan 2, 2006, 07:57 PM
I got the idea from this site

http://home.comcast.net/~appleguru/dvdrip.html

The link is in the directions, but here is the direct link.

http://diva.3ivx.com/

I have been using this software for about a year now, and really like it. I usually just compress using the 3iVx encoder to about 300mb file (depending on the movie) to watch on my ibook, or my work laptop. Now that I have a 5G ipod, I would like to use it to compress my ripped DVD files directly to the ipod supported format if possible.

puckhead193
Jan 2, 2006, 07:59 PM
It has better video compression than MPEG-4 using the same settings (resolution, video bitrate), so you get smaller files (important for conserving your iPod's HD space). I can't back this up with scientific evidence, but the H.264 video seems clearer to me, too.

i used the new steps today and i don't really notice a difference.... :o :confused:

Sheri
Jan 2, 2006, 09:28 PM
I did and I wouldn't recommend it. Tried it last night and it basically froze up at 100% and I ended up having to force quit it. Shut my computer down and when I turned it back on this morning there were serious problems...I couldn't print or burn discs and when I tried to re-install my printer softwear and my admin passwork wasn't recognized I really started to freak. My husband knows unix and suggested that the startup disc might be full. I ended up having to use disc utility to do a repair (the first time in over 20 years using Mac that I've ever had to do that!) and thank goodness it worked.

Decided today to try Clay's version using Mac the Ripper and Handbrake and it worked fine! I used the M-peg 4 video version and followed the instructions - it was very easy. I won't have my iPod Video for a few days but I imported it into iTunes and it plays fine (Firefly disc 1 :)

Sheri

Originally Posted by emutree

anyone else tried this?

ibilly
Jan 2, 2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks for your help, clayj, but it's still not working. The only two titles (in Pulp Fiction for example) are previews for other movies (the longest being 1 min 13 sec). I tried doing the Main Feature extraction through MtR, but it doesn't recognize it in Handbrake. (e.g. At the "Select a DVD:" screen I go down to DVD Folder / Image and select the extraction, but it doesn't recognize it) I guess no Pulp Fiction for me....:(
pulp fiction, both with and without main feature extraction in MTR didn't work for me either. DVD player, on the other hand, likes both of them.

IJC
Jan 16, 2006, 06:10 AM
I assume you guys are all using Macs with your iPods?

How can I rip a dvd to my ipod on a pc. Is there an easy way or is it going to be very complicated and take ages?

asherman13
Jan 16, 2006, 11:26 AM
I assume you guys are all using Macs with your iPods?

How can I rip a dvd to my ipod on a pc. Is there an easy way or is it going to be very complicated and take ages?

yep, most of us are using mac's. i've heard videora, psp video 9, and a couple others can do it.

DJMastaWes
Jan 22, 2006, 08:43 AM
I did everything that was instructed, and the movie works and all. But its in black and white.
How do I fix that?

kainjow
Jan 22, 2006, 11:02 AM
So complicated instructions.. just use my DVD2Pod (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20275) (free) :D

*shameless self-promotion*

nbs2
Jan 23, 2006, 08:00 PM
I ripped an episode off a DVD using MTR and converted using HB. I've done the same thing before with movies, without problem. My concern is the following:

When I sync the iPod, everything shows up, except for the TV show. I did rip the entire disc and convert the one episode (I was trying to get the 4th episode on the disc), instead of the Main feature extraction that clay requires (that only showed episode 1).

I tried to figure out what I did wrong, but I don't know what happened. Does anybody have any ideas?

Chundles
Jan 23, 2006, 08:04 PM
I ripped an episode off a DVD using MTR and converted using HB. I've done the same thing before with movies, without problem. My concern is the following:

When I sync the iPod, everything shows up, except for the TV show. I did rip the entire disc and convert the one episode (I was trying to get the 4th episode on the disc), instead of the Main feature extraction that clay requires (that only showed episode 1).

I tried to figure out what I did wrong, but I don't know what happened. Does anybody have any ideas?

Why don't you just rip the fourth episode straight to mp4 using handbrake?

Just set it to rip the title you want.

nbs2
Jan 23, 2006, 08:14 PM
Why don't you just rip the fourth episode straight to mp4 using handbrake?

Just set it to rip the title you want.
I plan on letting my computer work on that tonight, but I was wondering what the problem was. It's one of those i-know-something-went-wrong-and-can-work-around-it-but-it-would-be-nice-to-know-what-i-screwed-up type problems

neonart
Jan 23, 2006, 08:29 PM
I plan on letting my computer work on that tonight, but I was wondering what the problem was. It's one of those i-know-something-went-wrong-and-can-work-around-it-but-it-would-be-nice-to-know-what-i-screwed-up type problems

What resolution did you convert the show at? Maybe you passed the 230,400 pixel limit of the iPod. Also make sure it's not a .h264 above 320x240. Either of these two problems would yield a movie that will work fine on your computer and iTunes, but will not play on an iPod.

nbs2
Jan 23, 2006, 08:39 PM
Me being whiny
Ok, so I figured out that my relabeling the episode as a TV Show was keeping it from transferring. But, I have a new problem - why is one of my files showing up without a Title? I know it has one, as I titled it myself. But, when it transfers, the title gets lost.

66Pontiac
Jan 24, 2006, 09:22 AM
I have a dvd I ripped using Handbrake 7.0. Seemed to rip fine around 4.5 hrs, it said done. Copied to Itunes and it shows up in the library but when updating my ipod a Itunes window comes up and says that the movie is not recognized by my ipod. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry this was a double post. New to the site. Thanks nbs2 for your help.

nbs2
Jan 24, 2006, 09:48 AM
I have a dvd I ripped using Handbrake 7.0. Seemed to rip fine around 4.5 hrs, it said done. Copied to Itunes and it shows up in the library but when updating my ipod a Itunes window comes up and says that the movie is not recognized by my ipod. What am I doing wrong?
See my above post (and you may want to edit out your double post). It may take some time, but try Converting it for iPod (I'm at my PC, where it is under the Advanced menu).

asherman13
Jan 24, 2006, 09:27 PM

Did you rip to H.264? If so, did you click "baseline"? What specifications did you choose? The iPod 5G will only accept very specific specifications for the videos it plays...

66Pontiac
Jan 25, 2006, 07:55 PM
Did you rip to H.264? If so, did you click "baseline"? What specifications did you choose? The iPod 5G will only accept very specific specifications for the videos it plays...

I was using the mpeg4. Read back through some of the discussions and followed Clayj advise and ripped to the H.264, and was very pleased with the results. Took awhile but let it rip overnight, well worth the wait. Also tried in combo with Mac The Ripper but could not get handbrake to pick up the file it created. Thanks for your help.

jkelly888
Jan 28, 2006, 06:08 PM
to start out i have a 30gb ipod video and i'm using win xp pro. i'm also using dvdshrink. i put in a dvd and and selected the main movie and hit back up. after it was done, i found the movie on the hard drive and it had an audio folder and a video folder. and all the files were something like iso files. there were a bunch of them in each folder. any idea on what i can do make them into a movie file that i can run through videora?

neoelectronaut
Jan 30, 2006, 08:55 AM
I assume it's best to stick with 2-channel audio over 5.1 whenever possible.

almiroty
Feb 5, 2006, 06:01 PM
hi:
be patient with me, i am new here, but thanks to your help i have 29 dvd's in my ipod.
i have found problems with these dvd's mostly using mtr and hand brake lite. i tried a couple using handbrake, and got the same results. i have also tried dvd2pod with some, but no luck. here it goes:
the forgotten- no sound
brithers grin- no sound
mulan, black cauldron, aristocats, incredibles, shark talegrave of the fireflies and the cat returns cannot find a long enough segment
some say it has a bad vov.
closer
any ideas?
thanks for all your help so far
gladys

tomflix52
Feb 10, 2006, 10:13 PM
does anyone have the link to the original instructions? they are alot easyer then the new ones you posted and work a little better, anyone have em?

amateurmacfreak
Feb 16, 2006, 11:26 PM

Pete
Don't know in Mac the Ripper (have never used it) but in Handbrake you can select the different episodes in order in the little upper left-hand corner places.
I learned to do it from:
http://howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/
I love that page. Makes everything incredibly simple.

does anyone have the link to the original instructions? they are alot easyer then the new ones you posted and work a little better, anyone have em?
original? well, try these, I love them:
http://howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/

I was using the mpeg4. Read back through some of the discussions and followed Clayj advise and ripped to the H.264, and was very pleased with the results. Took awhile but let it rip overnight, well worth the wait. Also tried in combo with Mac The Ripper but could not get handbrake to pick up the file it created. Thanks for your help.
I've heard bad things about using H.264, and personally I just feel more comfy w/ MPEG4.
Ok, ok, I have to link again: http://howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/

What resolution did you convert the show at? Maybe you passed the 230,400 pixel limit of the iPod. Also make sure it's not a .h264 above 320x240. Either of these two problems would yield a movie that will work fine on your computer and iTunes, but will not play on an iPod.
Oh, that reminds me of my friend that didn't see "Picture Settings" on Handbrake and ended up running Quicktime Pro for a week straight to get it converted before talking to me. Good times. :rolleyes: :D

asherman13
Feb 17, 2006, 12:07 AM
Oh, that reminds me of my friend that didn't see "Picture Settings" on Handbrake and ended up running Quicktime Pro for a week straight to get it converted before talking to me. Good times. :rolleyes: :D

Friendly tidbit of information: If you're going to post numerous replies in one thread, it would be great if you could put them all in one post (just open a new window/tab when you "quote" the 2nd/3rd/4th/etc. thing you're responding to and copy that stuff into your initial reply). That way, everything will flow much nicer, and people will be happy, etc.

EDIT Mods, if you could merge the previous 4 posts, that would be greatly appreciated...

jkelly888
Feb 23, 2006, 03:26 PM
heres a guide for windows users to convert movies for ipod 5G. it works too.
http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/guides.html

Teddy Salad
Feb 23, 2006, 05:13 PM
I've seen a number of posts about trying to rip Pulp Fiction for the ipod. I've been trying for a long time as well. (Jackie Brown give me trouble too)

Has anyone been able to get it to work? I've tried using a prior version of Handbrake (0.6.2) and it was able to recognize the main feature, but it quits about midway through the ripping process?? I've tried it on two computers with the same result.

Has someone tried the Mac the Ripper app in conjunction with Handbrake on this one? I've got to get that movie converted. Its my favorite. At this point its more of a battle that I just have to win. I've spent too much time already!

Any help would be appreciated.

clayj
Feb 23, 2006, 05:53 PM
I've seen a number of posts about trying to rip Pulp Fiction for the ipod. I've been trying for a long time as well. (Jackie Brown give me trouble too)

Has anyone been able to get it to work? I've tried using a prior version of Handbrake (0.6.2) and it was able to recognize the main feature, but it quits about midway through the ripping process?? I've tried it on two computers with the same result.

Has someone tried the Mac the Ripper app in conjunction with Handbrake on this one? I've got to get that movie converted. Its my favorite. At this point its more of a battle that I just have to win. I've spent too much time already!

Any help would be appreciated.I just ran into the same problem... "No valid title found." when trying to convert the ripped DVD in Handbrake. This occurs immediately when I select the "PULP_FICTION Main Feature" folder that was created by Mac the Ripper.

mrgreen4242
Mar 5, 2006, 03:27 PM
They won't, and can't. Technically, ripping a DVD is a violation of the DMCA. It's illegal.

I've been thinking about getting a 5G for a week or two now, and was perusing this thread for the first time... I know this is all old discussion, but I wanted to point out that it looks as though MS is going to have the ability to rip DVDs to protected WMV files built into Vista. Not sure what they had to go through to get this deal, but seems like it is at least a possibility for the future [that Apple will have DVD importing in iTunes].

I'm impressed that the 5G iPod can playback nearly DVD quality video (onto a TV). I don't really NEED one, but it's really tempting me now. Thanks for posting all of these guides. :)

TheFallGuy
Mar 6, 2006, 03:00 AM
I PM'd clayj for some advice on how to rip DVD TV series. He gave me some advice and I said I'd report back how well it worked. This weekend I used Mac The Ripper (MtR) and Handbrake (HB) for ripping and encoding.

The TV series was Zatoichi the Blind Swordsman Vols 1 and 2. MtR allows you to do a full disk extraction or the main feature. In post #1, the main feature is what is recommended. That works great for movies, but with TV series the full disk extraction will bring it all in. (With main feature you will only get one episode. I tried that too.)

With HB I located the source folder. It took me a little bit to figure out that it is the highest folder. (I extract to my Movies folder, and the folder that starts there is the one you want.) From there you can select the 'Title' this will be one of the episodes, and it will have a list of the chapters inclusive to that episode (you can then select which chapters you want from that episode).

I tried to expand the size of the picture from 620x... to the original 720x but it wouldn't let me for some odd reason.

Anyway, I was able to select the language and subtitles, and then encode it. I did the MP4. Queing several episodes up I went to bed for the evening and let it chug along. In the morning I checked them out using QuickTime and they played very well and were complete afaik.

I'm new to these programs and didn't really try to push the envelope (although I did make the files too big originally to be backed up onto CD). Hope this helps answer some questions.

Thanks clayj for all the info!

Chundles
Mar 6, 2006, 03:12 AM
I PM'd clayj for some advice on how to rip DVD TV series. He gave me some advice and I said I'd report back how well it worked. This weekend I used Mac The Ripper (MtR) and Handbrake (HB) for ripping and encoding.

The TV series was Zatoichi the Blind Swordsman Vols 1 and 2. MtR allows you to do a full disk extraction or the main feature. In post #1, the main feature is what is recommended. That works great for movies, but with TV series the full disk extraction will bring it all in. (With main feature you will only get one episode. I tried that too.)

With HB I located the source folder. It took me a little bit to figure out that it is the highest folder. (I extract to my Movies folder, and the folder that starts there is the one you want.) From there you can select the 'Title' this will be one of the episodes, and it will have a list of the chapters inclusive to that episode (you can then select which chapters you want from that episode).

I tried to expand the size of the picture from 620x... to the original 720x but it wouldn't let me for some odd reason.

Anyway, I was able to select the language and subtitles, and then encode it. I did the MP4. Queing several episodes up I went to bed for the evening and let it chug along. In the morning I checked them out using QuickTime and they played very well and were complete afaik.

I'm new to these programs and didn't really try to push the envelope (although I did make the files too big originally to be backed up onto CD). Hope this helps answer some questions.

Thanks clayj for all the info!

I just use Handbrake for the whole lot. You just enable the queue and add the separate titles to the queue. Piece of cake and you can keep the original size, no need for Mac The Ripper.

neonart
Mar 6, 2006, 09:41 AM
I just use Handbrake for the whole lot. You just enable the queue and add the separate titles to the queue. Piece of cake and you can keep the original size, no need for Mac The Ripper.

Any problems doing it this way? I've had Movies that wouldn't work at all. Others that have no sound, or it's out of sync, etc. MtR and then HB has never failed me, so that's what I do.
But maybe this latest version of Handbrake is more predictable? What's been your experience? Any problems?

neonart
Mar 6, 2006, 11:29 PM
UPDATE: Just tested Handbrake by itself and had the same problems.

To test Handbrake by itself without ripping with Mac the Ripper first I tried to import House of Flying Daggers.

RESULTS: The Conversion took HOURS!!! It was like a do it yourself circumcision with a plastic spork. Agony. Usually MtR takes less than 1/2 hour to rip and then HandBrake takes less than the length of the Movie to do 2-pass encoding on my G5. Using only Handbrake it took about 4 hours! (I usually get 40-70fps while converting from the HD. When ripping direct from DVD the 2nd pass was down to 8-14fps. Horrible.)

And after all that the movie had NO SOUND!!!! :mad:

No way I'm doing that again!

I may be doing something wrong, and if so, let me know. Otherwise I'd prefer to do it in two steps and save a couple of hours of fruitless agony.

n-abounds
Mar 9, 2006, 12:51 AM
Here's how I've been doing it for a long time now. Works great, cept .dv files are huge, and sometimes can't handle too much motion and animation lines may now be clean. But overall, works great.
Get 0SEx here:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9830
Open the DVD in DVD Player and note the Title and Chapters of any scenes you want. Close DVD Player, and open OSex. In OSex, choose a title and chapter, press begin. Repeat for all the scenes you want. Careful though, change the name of the .vob file as soon as it's ripped or else OSex will just write over it.
Use Drop2DV to convert the resulting .vob file into DV format.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25916
Then open the .dv file in Quicktime and export it with the iPod settings.

Dr. J
Mar 16, 2006, 12:58 AM
I FINALLY figured it out. I wasted many hours, because i changed the destination file to something that must not exist. I could never find the completed file.

virus1
Mar 21, 2006, 09:32 PM
i just proved this thread useless (http://www.isquint.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=14)

clayj
Mar 21, 2006, 09:39 PM
i just proved this thread useless (http://www.isquint.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=14)Not quite.

Several users that I know of (and who've even posted about their experiences in this thread) have tried using Handbrake Lite with NO success... similarly, trying to use Handbrake by itself does not always work. Using the combination of Mac the Ripper (to rip the DVD's contents to your hard drive) and Handbrake (to recode the contents into a usable MPEG file) works consistently.

neonart
Mar 22, 2006, 07:27 AM
Not quite.

Several users that I know of (and who've even posted about their experiences in this thread) have tried using Handbrake Lite with NO success... similarly, trying to use Handbrake by itself does not always work. Using the combination of Mac the Ripper (to rip the DVD's contents to your hard drive) and Handbrake (to recode the contents into a usable MPEG file) works consistently.

And not everyone wants 320x240 wich looks terrible on a TV.

groovebuster
Mar 22, 2006, 09:40 AM
So complicated instructions.. just use my DVD2Pod (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20275) (free) :D

*shameless self-promotion*
Interesting... the debating about complicated conversion of DVDs to the iPod is going on and the hint to DVD2Pod is just ignored.

I use DVD2Pod and it works perfect for me...

Maybe you other guys should give it a try and not waste your time with discussing settings for Handbrake???

groovebuster

lozanoj83
Mar 25, 2006, 05:07 PM
I dont know if this has been asked already, but here it goes... im trying to rip Charlie and The Chocolate factory... yes yes it is a lil kids movie but i like it.. anywho.. wen i rip it from Mac The Ripper, it tells me that it has bad sectors, then I tried ripping it with Handbrake lite, went all the way to 100% then froze. Anyone know why this happened? Or is it because i have a kind of old PowerMac G4 533mhz with 1 GB of Ram? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks :)

rye9
Mar 25, 2006, 09:59 PM
Can't you just insert a DVD and run iSquint?

wmmk
Apr 9, 2006, 02:03 AM
you really dont need mactheripper

degginho
May 3, 2006, 03:42 PM
Is there someway to put subtitles on the movies???? And if there is, can you see it well????

Thanks

IJC
May 6, 2006, 12:47 AM
I am on windows xp. and used ******** ipod video convertor suite very easily on a dvd with 5 chapters. Haven't done a tv series dvd yet. ******** did everything. Very easy and neat just clicked the chapters and it went then transfered to itunes. All on a crapy P4 20G HD toshiba laptop!

cplusON3R
May 20, 2006, 10:30 PM
Interesting... the debating about complicated conversion of DVDs to the iPod is going on and the hint to DVD2Pod is just ignored.

I use DVD2Pod and it works perfect for me...

Maybe you other guys should give it a try and not waste your time with discussing settings for Handbrake???

groovebuster

so far no problems using DVD2Pod with movies but how do I use it for tv shows on DVD, like family guy? it will only do the first episode..:confused:

IJC
May 25, 2006, 11:41 AM
so far no problems using DVD2Pod with movies but how do I use it for tv shows on DVD, like family guy? it will only do the first episode..:confused:

the ******** software doesn't I have used it on a TV show DVD and it shows you all the chapters and you can see by the time scale which ones are shows and which are intros etc.

cplusON3R
May 25, 2006, 02:05 PM
the ******** software doesn't I have used it on a TV show DVD and it shows you all the chapters and you can see by the time scale which ones are shows and which are intros etc.

ahh... gotcha. with the movies I just click convert. I'll try it again later tonight

PHILLIPE1178
May 25, 2006, 07:30 PM
HI, i downloaded a movie from thepiratebay that is in dvdrip. I do not know anything, since this is thefirst time i ever download a movie. I tried to play it on Quicktime player, but it did not work. Cn anyone help me? Where can i download this dvdrip program and how am i going to use it to see the movie. I know my question is kind of amateur and maybe silly, but this is the first time i ever download a movie.
Thanks in advance!!

oo5yolo10
Jun 1, 2006, 11:51 PM
I did the mac the ripper to handbrake exactly how stated in the start of this thread and my dave matthews concert dvd has some crazy sound to it. Sounds like dave is 5 octives lower, cool, but not ideal. Any reason for this? what can I do?

MattyMac
Jun 14, 2006, 10:58 PM
All in all, what is the best way to go about ripping a dvd to your iPod?
Just got a 5g!

GreekMac
Jun 15, 2006, 07:56 AM
Simple just go to www.versiontracker.com and download "dvd2pod" it copies every thing! Even dvd's from your video club!
Try it...

MattyMac
Jun 15, 2006, 09:59 AM
Simple just go to www.versiontracker.com and download "dvd2pod" it copies every thing! Even dvd's from your video club!
Try it...
Anyone try this??

MacAficionado
Jul 17, 2006, 07:44 AM
Did this happen to anybody?

I'm on an Intel Core Duo iMac. DVD2Pod did not work, Handbrake does not work anymore. Any issues with anybody else. I get the "Invalid Title" error and Neither HB or HB light will work.

Any work aorunds would be appreciated.

JosiahPB
Jul 18, 2006, 11:07 AM
I ripped an entire season of South Park for $3 dollars

neoelectronaut
Sep 12, 2006, 06:34 PM
So, has anything changed for ripping to the new iPods, or do all we have to do is select "640x480" rather than "320x240" in the process?

Manzana
Sep 12, 2006, 06:42 PM
has anyone tried dvdremaster?

previously i've used mactheripper then handbrake, it's a long process tho.

Thanatoast
Sep 12, 2006, 11:58 PM
So, has anything changed for ripping to the new iPods, or do all we have to do is select "640x480" rather than "320x240" in the process?
yes, seconded.

if we keep the bitrate on the same 640 average, won't the video quality drop dramatically?

SilentPanda
Sep 13, 2006, 06:06 PM
I downloaded Pirates of the Carribean from the iTunes Store. I then used similar specs to rip Serenity using Handbrake. 640x272 (black bars removed to save space) and I believe about 1700 kbps. Granted depending on the content of the movie the kbps can be changed but I wanted to keep things consistent with the Pirates download.

After the rip was done it imported into iTunes just fine, plays on my 5G iPod (not a new one but the old 30 gig one) and works pretty much like the iTunes purchased movie. I also pulled a Serenity poster from the web to use as the browsable art. The iTunes movie has chapters and my ripped one didn't... until I found this...

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/chaptertracks.html

Utilizing this tutorial and already owning Quicktime Pro I was able to add tracks to my video and both iTunes and the iPod recognize it just fine.

For the first time ever I'm considering ripping all 250ish DVD's I own in preparation for "iTV".

dwishbone
Sep 14, 2006, 05:28 AM
i just tried to rip some DVDs at the new standard. what am i doing wrong?
my settings were in handbrake as follows

format: mp4
codec: AVC/H.264
fps: 29.97
encoder: x264 (Baseline)
Average Bit Rate: 500kbps
2 pass encoding
size: 640 x 272
audio: english ac3 (5chan) (or 2chan)
sample rate: 44100
bitrate: 128

as far as i can tell these settings are exactly identical to what ive used before. the only thing that is different is the screen rez. i rip my videos in their original widescreen format (hince the 640 x 272). this should be withing the spec of what the new software can support (up to 640 x 480).
so what am i doing wrong? it seems alot of other people are having problems since the update too.

DeFett
Sep 14, 2006, 07:39 PM
I downloaded Pirates of the Carribean from the iTunes Store. I then used similar specs to rip Serenity using Handbrake. 640x272 (black bars removed to save space) and I believe about 1700 kbps. Granted depending on the content of the movie the kbps can be changed but I wanted to keep things consistent with the Pirates download.

I'm intersted in doing the same to my DVD collection in preperation for iTV. I won't be able to buy movies from iTunes for awhile as I'm in Australia so I'm wondering if you could post the specs for iTunes movie.

Are they calling it "True Video"?

DeFett
Sep 14, 2006, 07:44 PM
I was going to rip a TV show that was 45 minutes with the codec: AVC/H.264 and it was going to take 7 hours, is that normal? Probably having an iMac G4 from 3 years ago doesn't help.

Wonder if Handbrake will update there program to give exact spec as the new movie format.

dwishbone
Sep 14, 2006, 08:20 PM
from talking with another user on these forums we seem to have determines that apple has changed from H264 baseline for their codec. they now use something called AVC0 as their main video codec.
H264 files still work at the old 320x240 but to get the higher rez you have to have it encoded using AVC0 (via quicktime or purchased via iTunes)

DeFett
Sep 14, 2006, 08:32 PM
I might hold off ripping the DVDs a bit longer then as I want to make sure I can get the best posssible picture while it still being compatible with the iTV.

chuchichan2524
Sep 16, 2006, 10:13 AM
Are we "supposed" to be able to rip our DVDs and view them on an iPod or is this going through the backdoor? What sort of format are the files in that Apple is now selling on its website.

I'm thinking about getting a video iPod and would love to be able to watch my movies on it. I was wondering how reliable this Mac the Ripper/Handbrake procedure is. Also, I was wondering if these movies can be viewed on the Nano.

Thanks.

Chundles
Sep 16, 2006, 10:20 AM
Are we "supposed" to be able to rip our DVDs and view them on an iPod or is this going through the backdoor? What sort of format are the files in that Apple is now selling on its website.

I'm thinking about getting a video iPod and would love to be able to watch my movies on it. I was wondering how reliable this Mac the Ripper/Handbrake procedure is. Also, I was wondering if these movies can be viewed on the Nano.

Thanks.

It's a backdoor - we're not meant to be able to do it but we can.

Apple sell videos in H.264 encoded .mp4 files with FairPlay DRM attached - the resulting file is listed as .m4v

Handbrake has been nothing but completely reliable for me since day one - I haven't used MacTheRipper in any way except backing up a DVD that I wasn't going to be in possession of long enough to do a Handbrake rip.

Movies of any sort cannot be played on the nano.

Hicks
Sep 16, 2006, 10:59 AM
Now that I've apparently wasted a total of about 14-16 hours :mad: I see I have to use handbrake differently than before to make my @#%(ing iPod upload the video from iTunes to it.

So, what are the confirmed to work settings to make a DVD rip for the iPod that works with iTunes 7 and iPod Video 1.2 software?

Thank you very much!

Bubbasteve
Sep 16, 2006, 11:07 AM
Now that I've apparently wasted a total of about 14-16 hours :mad: I see I have to use handbrake differently than before to make my @#%(ing iPod upload the video from iTunes to it.

So, what are the confirmed to work settings to make a DVD rip for the iPod that works with iTunes 7 and iPod Video 1.2 software?

Thank you very much!
I believe in order to achieve higher rez movie rips that are iPod compatible we will have to wait until Handbrake is updated to support AVoC (or w/e), buy Quicktime Pro and go through that procedure, or buy it from the iTunes Movie Store

I hope I'm wrong and there is already a method upon achieving the higher rez and if I am wrong please somebody correct me because I want to know!

Hicks
Sep 16, 2006, 03:12 PM
I believe in order to achieve higher rez movie rips that are iPod compatible we will have to wait until Handbrake is updated to support AVoC (or w/e), buy Quicktime Pro and go through that procedure, or buy it from the iTunes Movie Store

I hope I'm wrong and there is already a method upon achieving the higher rez and if I am wrong please somebody correct me because I want to know!

Since my last post, I did a test run by ripping a 5-minute chapter of a DVD, and I got it onto my ipod. MP4 format, 640 width, 500 bitrate, 2-pass. I guess all it wanted was the higher res?

chuchichan2524
Sep 16, 2006, 06:09 PM
So, on the iPod Photo, we can't even upload movie clips that we take on a digital camera? Are the clips that are taken with most digital cameras in AVI format? I thought we were able to upload video onto the iPod using Quicktime Pro 7 or something like that?

Or, is the iPod Photo only supposed to display photos out of the box until recently when Apple began to offer movies?

neonart
Sep 16, 2006, 08:27 PM
So, on the iPod Photo, we can't even upload movie clips that we take on a digital camera? Are the clips that are taken with most digital cameras in AVI format? I thought we were able to upload video onto the iPod using Quicktime Pro 7 or something like that?

Or, is the iPod Photo only supposed to display photos out of the box until recently when Apple began to offer movies?

As far as I know, the iPod Photo has never been able to display motion video, and that has not changed. The iPod with video capability released in late 2005 has always been able to play motion video. The new update simply allows it to play 640x480 content in the h264 codec that was previously limited to 320x240. And now Apple can sell you the movies we once converted ourselves.

MPEGs were previously playable at higher resolutions than h264. I don't know if this has changed.

nix
Sep 16, 2006, 10:17 PM
I was thinking about ripping all 400+ DVDs in prep for iTV too. But I've tried Handbrake every way I can think of and it won't rip using 5.1 audio. ANyone been able to do this easily? I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.

Want to be able to watch the movies at full rez with 5.1 audio so the codec/ file format isn't a sticking point. As long as it plays at those specs on iTV/ Itunes I'm happy. Any ideas?

dwishbone
Sep 18, 2006, 09:43 AM
i see someone up there claiming to have gotten it to work. yes...MP4 works. its always worked. MP4 is not H.264. There is a difference.
MP4 i have actually gotten to work successfully at as high as 720x304. thats not the issue. the issue is H.264, which currently handbrake only supports the baseline version, which has worked (and still does work) in the past. this can only be ripped at 320x240 or lower. the newer codec, Baseline LC also known as AVC0 (which is what Apple uses for iTunes Movies) can currently only be done using Quicktime Pro. the old baseline specs will still work and play fine, but in order to get the higher resolutions on H.264 you have to use QT Pro. i've went over to the handbrake forums and that is all they are talking about over there, so I am sure someone is working on getting it updated.
so until Handbrake or some other program supports the codec your best bet is to either A. rip a video to an insane quality and reencode that file in QT Pro. B. rip to a really high quality MP4. C. use the old H.264 Baseline standard and deal with the lower rez. or D. simply wait for an update.
right now i am choosing B in the short term for must have movies i want to carry, but waiting for option D to convert all my movies in prep for iTV.

DeFett
Sep 20, 2006, 10:45 PM
I finally had time lastnight to sit down and sort out this DVD to 640x480 iPod video and found what most of you have already found, but I thought I'd just share my experience anyway.

So I did a DVD rip to MP4 (Handbrake) then MP4 to MV4 (QuickTime Pro) and the quailty was pretty shabby and not really what I'll be going for...

...but I also had some Gorillaz music Videos from their CDs in .MOV files (640x480) which I converted to MV4 files and they look great! They lost a small bit of quality when I compared it to the original file but I was really being picky. Also look great on the TV throught the Video dock.

I'll be waiting for Handbrake to hopefully upgrade before I'll rip anymore DVDs me'thinks as the double encoding really hammers the quality.

ibilly
Sep 21, 2006, 05:40 AM
I'm going to try the 'double encoding'

Start in handbrake, full resolution, mpeg4 file @ around 3000 kb/s
->QT7 export to mpeg4
-->set bitrate to around 600, set resolution to 640x480, h.264

I'm on battery at the moment, so I'll have to report back when I can plug in for a while and let the macbook sweat

-billy

EDIT: I generally don't do the export to ipod bc it makes huge files... then again, higher bitrates are kinda necessary for decent quality at these higher rezes

ibilly
Sep 21, 2006, 12:10 PM
no dice on the QT export... export to iPod looked and worked great... then again, it was multi-pass @ something near 1600 kbps...

I'm not sure how we're going to be able to do HR w/o obscene bitrates

chuchichan2524
Sep 22, 2006, 11:26 PM
I've just run Handbrake and received the "done" message, but I cannot find the output file. I searched for it in the finder, but still cannot find it.

The name of the file is: Kill Bill Volume 1

Is this a problem because there are spaces?

I wonder what happened to the file...Handbrake ran for a few hours...it was definitely doing something...hmmm...

RPP
Sep 26, 2006, 10:16 AM
I've followed these steps with a Donnie Darko DVD but Handbrake always tells me it's finished and stops encoding leaving me with a file that's only 1 hour and 6 minutes long. I've repeated steps 4-6 a few times and I always get the same result. Any idea what I could be doing wrong :confused:

puckhead193
Oct 1, 2006, 01:37 AM
anyone figure out the new steps for the new size, do i just do the 640 or whatever the size is...:confused:

Chundles
Oct 1, 2006, 01:42 AM
anyone figure out the new steps for the new size, do i just do the 640 or whatever the size is...:confused:

There aren't really any "steps" as yet because HB hasn't been updated to include the LC Baseline profile that Apple are now using.

I read somewhere that ffmpegx has been updated to version 0.0.9 and includes the new profile for transcoding already ripped videos but I'm not entirely sure.

I've been doing 100% quality MPEG-4 rips in Handbrake at 640xwhatever and then using the "Export to iPod" option in Quicktime Pro. Results are pretty good, gets fairly blocky when there's a lot of motion on the screen.

puckhead193
Oct 1, 2006, 10:35 AM
There aren't really any "steps" as yet because HB hasn't been updated to include the LC Baseline profile that Apple are now using.

I read somewhere that ffmpegx has been updated to version 0.0.9 and includes the new profile for transcoding already ripped videos but I'm not entirely sure.

I've been doing 100% quality MPEG-4 rips in Handbrake at 640xwhatever and then using the "Export to iPod" option in Quicktime Pro. Results are pretty good, gets fairly blocky when there's a lot of motion on the screen.
if I used the old steps, will they still work?

dwishbone
Oct 5, 2006, 08:15 AM
ive been using the MPEG4 option in Handbrake and it works great. ive been ripping my movies at their maximum aspect ratio at around 1500kbps and they look and play wonderfull and play on the iPod with no problem.
also the 640x480 is not a maximum resolution. its the maximum pixel number. if you are wondering if a rez will work with the iPod just multiply your aspect ratio measurements together. if the total is less than 307200 it should work. for example ive ripped movies at 720x304...which is actually only a total of 218880 pixels. its appears to be higher than the 640x480 spec at first glance, but its actually less due to it being widescreen.
H.264 still only works with the old settings currently.

now. ive been plundering around the handbrake forums and they have a new build (if you download the source and build it yourself) that reportedly works with the new H.264 specs. the problem is the build is reportedly really buggy right now.
according to the developers that have made the build they say there is actually no such thing as Baseline LC. they have discovered what appears to be a more insidious plot by Apple. it appears than Quicktimes new iPod export (at the newer high rez) puts basically what is in effect a watermark inside the file. its just a few bites of data that basically lets iTunes know "this was made with Quicktime" pretty much. they have discovered that the actual encoding is still the old baseline one that handbrake already supports. their new build injects this data into the ripped movies and then when imported into iTunes they transfer and play flawlessly onto the iPod.
ill post more as i find out.

wwooden
Oct 5, 2006, 09:32 AM
I personally still will continue to use instant handbrake the way it is now. Works great everytime. I also don't mind having the resolution lower because the file sizes are much smaller and I can put more movies on my iPod. The movies look perfect on the iPod, and if I really want to watch them in there normal quality, I will just pop in the DVD. I don't want to take up a 1.5gigs per movie, but that is just me.

dwishbone
Oct 5, 2006, 11:33 AM
i like the smaller sizes too for the iPod. but i plan on making a complete diskless movie system around iTV when it comes out, so I'd prefer the higher quality.
it just means ill have to manage my iPod video content a bit more closely as to not max it out.
my problem is the fact i don't believe a normal drive would hold all the movies i have. i'd probably have to get at least 2 hard drives and raid them together.

clintob
Oct 5, 2006, 11:46 AM
iTunes can convert virtually any video file into an iPod compatible video. Go ahead and rip the DVD at any resolution and quality you want. Set up a place to store you "originals" so you ahve the high-res version someplace (I have a second hard drive for just this very type of occurence). Then just drag the file into iTunes, right click, and chose "Convert Selection for iPod".

Yeah, it takes a few hours... big deal. Start it when you go to bed, and it's done when you get up in the morning.

Apple has happily done all the work for you - why not use the tools! And if you honestly are gonna try and tell yourself you can tell the difference in quality between 640px and 500px on an iPod screen, you're crazy. It's so minimal, and it's a small screen in the first place. Just use the tools Apple gives you and enjoy your movies. They look great this way.

milo
Oct 6, 2006, 10:28 AM
iTunes can convert virtually any video file into an iPod compatible video. Go ahead and rip the DVD at any resolution and quality you want. Set up a place to store you "originals" so you ahve the high-res version someplace (I have a second hard drive for just this very type of occurence). Then just drag the file into iTunes, right click, and chose "Convert Selection for iPod".

Good idea, but many movies can't be dragged into iTunes. Looks like 7 only allows adding some movies, and not all that QT can play. For those, you might have to use QT pro to do the same conversion.

Also, iTunes and QT won't convert files correctly if audio and video are combined in one Mpeg2 muxed track. iSquint will convert, but only to the old 320x240 format, I don't know of any free apps that do the new one yet.

Anyone have a good/simple recommendation for a full DVD rez ripping solution/settings that QT can open and convert?

GFLPraxis
Oct 6, 2006, 11:00 AM
Good idea, but many movies can't be dragged into iTunes. Looks like 7 only allows adding some movies, and not all that QT can play. For those, you might have to use QT pro to do the same conversion.

Also, iTunes and QT won't convert files correctly if audio and video are combined in one Mpeg2 muxed track. iSquint will convert, but only to the old 320x240 format, I don't know of any free apps that do the new one yet.

Anyone have a good/simple recommendation for a full DVD rez ripping solution/settings that QT can open and convert?

I'm pretty sure the advanced settings for iSquint let you specify 640x480 and a higher bitrate.

milo
Oct 6, 2006, 05:49 PM
I'm pretty sure the advanced settings for iSquint let you specify 640x480 and a higher bitrate.

Nope, at least not unless they released a new version in the last day.

The advanced settings have a warning saying you can't set h.264 beyond 320x240. Haven't actually tried it though.
UPDATE: Just tried it, and the movie turned out all garbled. Looks like they need to update.

Nikhil72
Oct 8, 2006, 06:55 PM
I have been ripping DVDs into high quality H.264 and then using the export to iPod option. It works well and has significantly fewer artifacts than ripping to MP4 and then converting.

weldon
Oct 8, 2006, 07:11 PM
I have been ripping DVDs into high quality H.264 and then using the export to iPod option. It works well and has significantly fewer artifacts than ripping to MP4 and then converting.
What program do you use to rip and encode to H.264? And what program do you use to export to iPod? Do you use the iTunes "convert selection" tool or something else?

amin
Oct 8, 2006, 09:47 PM
I look forward to the day that I can do a one step to DVD res H.264. I'm sure that will be coming soon. Until then, I am satisified with my current process, which works well.

I use Handbrake with the following options:

- Framerate: Same as source
- Encoder: FFmpeg
- Quality: Average bitrate: 2200 kbps
- 2-pass encoding
- File format: MP4 file
- Codecs: MPEG-4 Video / AAC Audio
- Audio settings all at default
- Picture settings also at default (640 wide for "full frame" video, 720 wide for widescreen video, aspect ratio fixed)

Simple and effective.

Nermal
Oct 8, 2006, 10:07 PM
I've been doing 100% quality MPEG-4 rips in Handbrake at 640xwhatever

I've done some "100%" rips and they've been noticeably worse quality than the originals :confused:

milo
Oct 9, 2006, 10:50 AM
I look forward to the day that I can do a one step to DVD res H.264. I'm sure that will be coming soon. Until then, I am satisified with my current process, which works well.

I use Handbrake with the following options:

- Framerate: Same as source
- Encoder: FFmpeg
- Quality: Average bitrate: 2200 kbps
- 2-pass encoding
- File format: MP4 file
- Codecs: MPEG-4 Video / AAC Audio
- Audio settings all at default
- Picture settings also at default (640 wide for "full frame" video, 720 wide for widescreen video, aspect ratio fixed)

Simple and effective.

And those files play on an iPod? Looks like that is a one step process.

balamw
Oct 9, 2006, 10:55 AM
But it's MPEG-4 not H.264...

Given that Apple seems to be messing with H.264 and their baseline LC profile, it might be better to stick w/MPEG-4 for a while anyhow...

B

MacinJosh
Oct 9, 2006, 11:00 AM
But it's MPEG-4 not H.264...

Given that Apple seems to be messing with H.264 and their baseline LC profile, it might be better to stick w/MPEG-4 for a while anyhow...

B

VisualHub offers one step DVD-to-iPod in new 640x480 H.264 resolution. I've tried 720x* but iTunes won't transfer them to iPod.

Joshua.

Chundles
Oct 9, 2006, 11:02 AM
VisualHub offers one step DVD-to-iPod in new 640x480 H.264 resolution. I've tried 720x* but iTunes won't transfer them to iPod.

Joshua.

Yeah but it costs $$. I'd rather wait for Handbrake to be updated. QTPro exports of 100% quality HB rips is working fine (albeit very slowly on my ancient G4) for me.

MacinJosh
Oct 9, 2006, 11:03 AM
If one wants to watch videos on both iPod and TV, might I suggest 640x* resolutions as there is the issue of scalability.

The the iPod screen is 320x240 so 640x480 scales perfectly. However, a 720x* file does not and so a 640x* file might (and most likely will) actually look better on the iPod screen than 720x*.

Joshua.

MacinJosh
Oct 9, 2006, 11:09 AM
Yeah but it costs $$. I'd rather wait for Handbrake to be updated. QTPro exports of 100% quality HB rips is working fine (albeit very slowly on my ancient G4) for me.

True about cost but I find it worth it for my use. However, even if VisualHub were free, I'd rather use Handbrake for DVD rips. But I'm too impatient to wait so I use VisualHub with my DVDs as well :)

Joshua.

milo
Oct 9, 2006, 02:59 PM
If one wants to watch videos on both iPod and TV, might I suggest 640x* resolutions as there is the issue of scalability.

The the iPod screen is 320x240 so 640x480 scales perfectly. However, a 720x* file does not and so a 640x* file might (and most likely will) actually look better on the iPod screen than 720x*.

Joshua.

What do you mean, 720 does not? People have already confirmed that they've been able to play 720 movies fine on an iPod.

amin
Oct 9, 2006, 03:37 PM

They play well. One step process with a very good quality result!

MacinJosh
Oct 9, 2006, 10:32 PM
What do you mean, 720 does not? People have already confirmed that they've been able to play 720 movies fine on an iPod.

It's not that the iPod can't play 720x* movies. It can. What I'm talking about is scalability, how iPod displays a movie on it's 320x240 screen. Since 640x480 is 4 times as large as 320x240, it scales perfectly. However, 720x* is not of any "relation" to 320x240 and therefore does not scale as well and ultimately does not display quite as well. But this is extreme nitpicking and probably no one will ever even notice. You can try this if you have a flat screen monitor or laptop. Change the resolution to other than the native one. Notice the blurry text? That's because the display is scaling the picture.

Joshua.

neonart
Oct 10, 2006, 06:00 AM
It's not that the iPod can't play 720x* movies. It can. What I'm talking about is scalability, how iPod displays a movie on it's 320x240 screen. Since 640x480 is 4 times as large as 320x240, it scales perfectly. However, 720x* is not of any "relation" to 320x240 and therefore does not scale as well and ultimately does not display quite as well. But this is extreme nitpicking and probably no one will ever even notice. You can try this if you have a flat screen monitor or laptop. Change the resolution to other than the native one. Notice the blurry text? That's because the display is scaling the picture.

Joshua.

Yes, but that is scaling down when a higher resolution is native.

Scaling up does not show any issues really. I've been ripping movies at 720 and 700 , etc. for a while and they look beautiful in 320x240. If anything they look better- take a crappy blurry video from you tube for example, and run it smaller- it actually looks better.

amin
Oct 10, 2006, 06:23 AM

Joshua.

True, but I don't see a difference between playing a 720 wide version or a 640 wide version on my iPod. Part of the reason may be that in going from a 720 wide video to 640 and then playing on a 320-wide display requires a resizing followed by scaling, whereas going from 720 to 320 requires just scaling. I imagine that the resizing bit introduces some loss of quality as well.

MacinJosh
Oct 10, 2006, 06:43 AM
Yes, but that is scaling down when a higher resolution is native.

Scaling up does not show any issues really. I've been ripping movies at 720 and 700 , etc. for a while and they look beautiful in 320x240. If anything they look better- take a crappy blurry video from you tube for example, and run it smaller- it actually looks better.

I'm not saying that a 720x* wouldn't look good. I knew I shouldn't have said anything about the matter because no one understands. You'd have to be a HiFi/Video purist to understand me.

Fact is: 640x* scales better to 320x240 than 720x* and no one can deny that. Whether or not one sees a difference, it's up to them to decide. And if one wants to sacrifice a little resolution for better scalability, that's also up to them to decide. I'm just making people aware of the facts. No need to argue about facts.

Joshua.

milo
Oct 10, 2006, 07:11 AM
You'd have to be a HiFi/Video purist to understand me.

(Aside from the fact that that's not really true...your original post made it sound like 720 doesn't scale at all, should have said that it doesn't scale perfectly like 640...)

Is a HiFi video purist really going to be watching movies on a tiny iPod screen?

MacinJosh
Oct 10, 2006, 07:26 AM
(Aside from the fact that that's not really true...your original post made it sound like 720 doesn't scale at all, should have said that it doesn't scale perfectly like 640...)

Is a HiFi video purist really going to be watching movies on a tiny iPod screen?

If you speak english and you read my post properly, you would see that I said that 720x* does not scale perfectly, ok?

As for a purist using an iPod. Gosh, you're absolutely right!! A true purist would drag their 50" plasma with them everywhere they go. How silly of me...

Joshua.

milo
Oct 10, 2006, 09:09 AM

wizzerandchips
Oct 16, 2006, 10:59 AM
did all that but says it cannot be loaded on to this ipod as it will not play???????. yet I have 4 other movies on it.:(

dwishbone
Oct 17, 2006, 06:18 AM
again.
for the new iPods.
from handbrake and other such ripper/converters
MPEG4 maximum resolution 640x480 (or the equivalent 307200 pixels)

H.264 Codec 320x240 (or the equivalent 76800 pixels)

only quicktime (and i believe virtual hub) have H.264 encoding that works at the higher 640x480 resolution. any program that uses quicktime as its encoding engine can conceivably work as well, but from what i can see most dont.

there have been work arounds and such posted on how to get H.264 at the higher rez for DVDs through a chain of programs, but for the easy one-stop solution we are just going to have to wait for Handbrake to be updated.

Update:
I just went to the handbrake forums. The new handbrake is available in alpha form only. It is a ppc binary, but will run under intel...all be it slowly.
there is one known bug with this version. supposedly it can't rip directly from a DVD. you have to use something like MactheRipper to rip and decrypt the Video_TS folder and then convert from that. ill try it both ways when i get home. because ive heard people say they cant rip DVDs straight in handbrake anyway, and ive never ever had a problem doing that.
well here it is. enjoy. be aware, early reports say the new H.264 coding is sloooooooow.
http://www.evolutionkakumei.com/HandBrake0.7.1a1PPC.zip

forum posting link here http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1794

MacinJosh
Oct 17, 2006, 06:40 AM
again.
for the new iPods.
from handbrake and other such ripper/converters
MPEG4 maximum resolution 640x480 (or the equivalent 307200 pixels)

H.264 Codec 320x240 (or the equivalent 76800 pixels)

only quicktime (and i believe virtual hub) have H.264 encoding that works at the higher 640x480 resolution. any program that uses quicktime as its encoding engine can conceivably work as well, but from what i can see most dont.

there have been work arounds and such posted on how to get H.264 at the higher rez for DVDs through a chain of programs, but for the easy one-stop solution we are just going to have to wait for Handbrake to be updated.

Update:
I just went to the handbrake forums. The new handbrake is available in alpha form only. It is a ppc binary, but will run under intel...all be it slowly.
there is one known bug with this version. supposedly it can't rip directly from a DVD. you have to use something like MactheRipper to rip and decrypt the Video_TS folder and then convert from that. ill try it both ways when i get home. because ive heard people say they cant rip DVDs straight in handbrake anyway, and ive never ever had a problem doing that.
well here it is. enjoy. be aware, early reports say the new H.264 coding is sloooooooow.
http://www.evolutionkakumei.com/HandBrake0.7.1a1PPC.zip

forum posting link here http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1794

iSquint has been updated to handle 640x480 H.264 for iPod.

The new Handrake that supports 640x480 H.264 for iPod is only slow in intel Macs as it is a PPC binary and runs under Rosetta. I can't say how well it performs in PPC but I suspect same as before.

Joshua.