Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I know that Netflix' disk service lags behind sales release dates for new movies. But where the hell are new releases for the streaming service?

The obvious example right now is Skyfall. It's been available for purchase for over a month, and hit the Netflix disk rental list a week ago. It's still not available for viewing on the streaming service.

At this point, I'm struggling to see any use in the Netflix app on my ATV. It promotes TV shows almost exclusively, makes it impossible to find new release movies, and is way, way, waaaay behind the curve on release dates.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I know that Netflix' disk service lags behind sales release dates for new movies. But where the hell are new releases for the streaming service?

The obvious example right now is Skyfall. It's been available for purchase for over a month, and hit the Netflix disk rental list a week ago. It's still not available for viewing on the streaming service.

At this point, I'm struggling to see any use in the Netflix app on my ATV. It promotes TV shows almost exclusively, makes it impossible to find new release movies, and is way, way, waaaay behind the curve on release dates.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Yes you have missed EVERY review of Netflix Streaming that has ever been released....

Every single review will tell you that they have only have something like 17,000 movies and rarely are they the new releases. Most are older (and cheaper) content. Just like Amazon Prime, they sell you on the #'s, but often times what you want isn't available. I use Netflix streaming more for television than movies though. That's where Netflix shines. However, if I do want to watch a movie on Netflix streaming, I figure out what Genre I want to watch and go check out what they have. The key is not to lock yourself into a particular movie, but rather check out what Netflix recommends. I've found some real jewels I probably never would have watched.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Yes you have missed EVERY review of Netflix Streaming that has ever been released....

Every single review will tell you that they have only have something like 17,000 movies and rarely are they the new releases. Most are older (and cheaper) content. Just like Amazon Prime, they sell you on the #'s, but often times what you want isn't available. I use Netflix streaming more for television than movies though. That's where Netflix shines. However, if I do want to watch a movie on Netflix streaming, I figure out what Genre I want to watch and go check out what they have. The key is not to lock yourself into a particular movie, but rather check out what Netflix recommends. I've found some real jewels I probably never would have watched.

I use it for TV as well. They have tons of kids shows too, and no commercials. I also use the recommendations a lot. But, yeah, for new movies, your best bet is anything else.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
the kids content alone is worth the cost to me. my son can be entertained for hours with the almost endless choices for him.

i realize not everyone has kids, but their movie and tv library are pretty good in my opinion also.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Do you really think it's reasonable to expect unlimited new releases for $7.99 a month? That isn't what Netflix is all about...

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Netflix UK have The Hunger Games when it's still on pay per view on other platforms. That's very much the exception though. I just assume Netflix is good for TV, and look elsewhere for movies. Given the low monthly cost, I think it's a great service personally.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Do you really think it's reasonable to expect unlimited new releases for $7.99 a month? That isn't what Netflix is all about...

My expectation was they they were offering the same selection of movies as the disk service, but it was cheaper because it avoided the cost of hard media and postage. If you factor out those costs, $8 vs $12 doesn't seem unreasonable.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
My expectation was they they were offering the same selection of movies as the disk service, but it was cheaper because it avoided the cost of hard media and postage. If you factor out those costs, $8 vs $12 doesn't seem unreasonable.

Yes but for $12 you only get two movies at a time. Even if you watch them And send them back the next day, you can only go thru about 16 movies a month. You can stream 16 movies in one day!!

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
I have noticed that as well, well my kids to be fair :D, I just exit netflix and restart from last position and all good.
As someone said for 7.99 I won't complain, my kds mostly use it, once they grow up, I'll ditch it, there is less and less I watch for my self.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Both Redbox and Netflix would absolutely love to do this, and that is their ultimate goal, but the movie studios have so far been reluctant to license DVD release date streaming. I suspect the studios fear this would kill DVD sales (probably rightfully so).

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.

That has never been their streaming model so your expectations are misguided. I'm sure Netflix would love to stream the latest titles, the content owners won't let them.

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
It doesn't take a genius to figure out if first run movies were available streaming within a week or month of release for $8 a month, NO ONE would buy or rent movies from anywhere else. It would absolutely kill profits for movie studios and they will never do that. If you want to "stream" an unlimited amount of new movies without any restrictions on time or use your ONLY option is BitTorrent.

New release HD movies on itunes cost $5 to rent. If you wanted to watch a movie everyday it would cost you $150 a month vs. $8 for Netflix. Understand why these movies are not available on Netflix now? If you could get these movies from Netflix then itunes, Amazon, Vudu, Xbox, PS3 streaming services would all be out of business.

Last edited:

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Some may notice that Netflix does indeed have some new titles--but when you look, you will find most if not all are indie movies--not a bad thing as some of them are excellent movies--just not blockbusters like Skyfall.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
It reminds me of somebody at work who the other day who, about a month after he first started using Netflix, said "I bet someday you're gonna be able to watch any movie you want for free!"

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.