PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Announces Massive 30-50GB Mobile Shared Data Plans

MacRumors
Mar 18, 2013, 02:42 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/18/att-announces-massive-30-50gb-mobile-shared-data-plans/)

AT&T today unveiled (http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=23918&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=36172&mapcode=consumer%7Cmk-small-business-basic) three new shared data plans aimed at businesses, offering 30GB, 40GB, and 50GB of data, along with unlimited calls and texts.

The plans, which begin at $300, also come alongside new Mobile Share - Data only and Business Pooled Nation for Data plans for business customers.The new plans make it even easier and more affordable to work or play on the go, whether that be taking mobile payments, controlling inventory, downloading videos, managing fleets, or navigating unfamiliar streets.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/attplans.jpgFor consumers, AT&T's new plans are limited to 10 devices. Businesses can add 15 devices for 30GB plans, 20 devices for 40GB plans, and 25 devices for 50GB plans.

Additional devices, such as iPads and basic phones, can be added for an extra monthly fee, and AT&T also requires the same $30 per smartphone that customers must pay for other data plans. A 50GB plan with 10 smartphones would run approximately $800 per month or $1250 per month for 25 smartphones.

As for Mobile Share - Data, businesses and consumers can now purchase data only plans for tablets and laptops that range from 4GB to 50GB ($30 to $335 per month), and with Business Pooled Nation for Data, businesses in need of more than 25 devices are able to purchase data buckets from 300MB to 10GB.

Previously, AT&T's plans maxed out at 20GB of data for $200 per month.

Article Link: AT&T Announces Massive 30-50GB Mobile Shared Data Plans (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/18/att-announces-massive-30-50gb-mobile-shared-data-plans/)

jake0112
Mar 18, 2013, 02:44 PM
I'm sure by "Massive" you mean the price?

crisss1205
Mar 18, 2013, 02:44 PM
Not bad when you consider their Business voice plans that is not unlimited and has no data or text.

Razeus
Mar 18, 2013, 02:45 PM

This.

irDigital0l
Mar 18, 2013, 02:46 PM
Hey AT&T....

LOL

levitynyc
Mar 18, 2013, 02:46 PM
i have no idea how anyone could use that much data per month on a mobile device or while tethering a laptop on the road

rnizlek
Mar 18, 2013, 02:48 PM
I don't think this is that great a deal. I think the share plans for consumers are a decent deal if you have the right numbers of devices. But with these plans, essentially you will be paying a minimum of $20 per device, per month. Many businesses with large volumes of lines can get pretty solid discounts and only be paying $23-$25 for individual data plans. So it really comes out to $20 for 500 mb of data per user or ~$25 for 3 GB of data per user. Granted, this may make more sense where you have very disproportionate usage differences between users, but overall I think the device caps really limit the value here.

macguy1224
Mar 18, 2013, 02:48 PM
Considering that it's only $30 for unlimited data with no throttling on Sprint, and on AT&T a few years ago, this is pretty ridiculous.

viperGTS
Mar 18, 2013, 02:50 PM
I don't understand carriers. Why not just competitively price unlimited data?

keysofanxiety
Mar 18, 2013, 02:53 PM
I'm amazed you Yanks stand for this sort of thing. It's not unusual for us humble, buck-toothed Brits to get unlimited data, unlimited texts and unlimited talktime for an average of 35-40 a month (about $60). And that's with paying about 60 upfront for the iPhone 5, so it's not exactly like you're paying through the nose.

I appreciate all carriers are thieving immoral bastards, but you guys seem to have it a lot worse than we do. Is there something I'm missing, or do we have it just as bad? :o

theart666
Mar 18, 2013, 02:53 PM
I wonder how many government groups are forking out on this rip off scam, milk em dry.

locoboi187
Mar 18, 2013, 02:55 PM
what the *****?

aajeevlin
Mar 18, 2013, 03:01 PM
I'm amazed you Yanks stand for this sort of thing. It's not unusual for us humble, buck-toothed Brits to get unlimited data, unlimited texts and unlimited talktime for an average of 35-40 a month (about $60). And that's with paying about 60 upfront for the iPhone 5, so it's not exactly like you're paying through the nose.

I appreciate all carriers are thieving immoral bastards, but you guys seem to have it a lot worse than we do. Is there something I'm missing, or do we have it just as bad? :o

I'm not sure if my reason justify, but the first thing I can think of is that the US is 75 times larger then England in land mass. So when we talk about national coverage vs. England national coverage. We are talking about a lot of more tower's. Also, if one is cleaver enough, one would enter into a family (or with friends) plan, I'm paying pretty much the same amount you are in a family plan.

Shaun, UK
Mar 18, 2013, 03:05 PM
Why are data plans so expensive in the US?

When all the UK networks launch their 4G services later this year, I'm expecting to pay maybe 30 or 40 a month for an unlimited 4G data plan on iPhone which I just tether to my MBP.

keysofanxiety
Mar 18, 2013, 03:05 PM
I'm not sure if my reason justify, but the first thing I can think of is that the US is 75 times larger then England in land mass. So when we talk about national coverage vs. England national coverage. We are talking about a lot of more tower's. Also, if one is cleaver enough, one would enter into a family (or with friends) plan, I'm paying pretty much the same amount you are in a family plan.

That's a good point, I never really saw it that way. But if you see this, you'll see just how comparatively cheap it is: ****************iirVd

(not sure if that link will work over the pond?)

I mean, I'd understand if it seemed perhaps 10 or 20 more than over here. But $300 (200) per month for unlimited talk, texts and 30GB of data? I genuinely can't comprehend that. I keep having to re-read it to sink in. How do your carriers get away with that? I thought we had it bad :(

verniesgarden
Mar 18, 2013, 03:09 PM

Because they don't have to. They are all making a killing already

unlimitedx
Mar 18, 2013, 03:11 PM
I don't have the source to back it up, but I heard that in Europe a lot of the infrastructure for wireless is paid by the government so not really apples to apples comparison. But anyhow, something truly wrong in the US on pricing. Too much consolidation has occurred over the last decade and the only two carriers that can throw their weight around right now are AT&T and Verizon. Sprint and tmobile need to catch up. Also in the US prepaid market not as big as job Europe.

Davmeister
Mar 18, 2013, 03:15 PM
Don't worry US users...you're more expensive price plans are more than offset by the premium we pay over Apple products here in the UK.

mozumder
Mar 18, 2013, 03:18 PM
i have no idea how anyone could use that much data per month on a mobile device or while tethering a laptop on the road

I don't either, but a business with 30 phones would.

vmachiel
Mar 18, 2013, 03:22 PM
Those prices make me so glad i don't live in the U.S. Not being a "my country is better than the U.S." hipster, but damn.. that is expensive

Westside guy
Mar 18, 2013, 03:24 PM

It all comes down to tea.

It's a little-known fact that Verizon and AT&T are owned by the British Royal Family. They use this absurd pricing scheme as punishment for us breaking away back in the late 1700s. I wish they'd just get over it - it's been more than two centuries, after all - but man that Queen Elizabeth can sure hold a grudge!

nick_elt
Mar 18, 2013, 03:25 PM

Bigger country = more customers (should)= cheaper rates

Deals in Europe are unbelievably cheap compared to the US

zin
Mar 18, 2013, 03:27 PM
$500 for 50GB shared? What the hell, America?

Are you going to allow these corporations to rip you off and just take it? You should band together and boycott AT&T and others. Surely you could file a class-action suit through the Department of Justice because this is blatantly profiteering in a cartel with other major networks through the use of monopoly power.

Unlimited data for 12 / ~$18 here in the UK.

trunten
Mar 18, 2013, 03:29 PM
And yet i get unlimited data for 12.90

Zaren
Mar 18, 2013, 03:30 PM
And I can still get unlimited data, text and voice for $55 a month from Virgin Mobile. AT&T just doesn't get it.

aajeevlin
Mar 18, 2013, 03:30 PM

75 times in land mass, but only about 6 times in population. So I don't think the math is quite linear. But anyways, it is the way it is, you pay for what you can afford, just have to be smart and manage your phone bill right.

nick_elt
Mar 18, 2013, 03:32 PM
When I was In England I got a free phone on a 12 month contract at 40/month and every 3 months I got a cheque in the mail back for 120 so if I didnt use over my min I got a free contract with a free phone, a couple of other contracts I got 2 free ps3s and a free ipod touch.

Now im in Poland I pay about 5.50 a month and get 40 mins, unlimited free mins to same network and 1gb data.

BUT then I see the price of petrol here and everything else and overall its cheaper in the states...

Hakone
Mar 18, 2013, 03:33 PM
At $300 you'd think they'd throw in the first 3 or so devices in there for free...

thedeejay
Mar 18, 2013, 03:44 PM
I just saved myself a boat load of money by switching to Geico.

Mr. Retrofire
Mar 18, 2013, 03:47 PM
it all comes down to tea.

It's a little-known fact that verizon and at&t are owned by the british royal family. They use this absurd pricing scheme as punishment for us breaking away back in the late 1700s. I wish they'd just get over it - it's been more than two centuries, after all - but man that queen elizabeth can sure hold a grudge!
;-)

your post count is insufficient to view signature
wtf!?

JAT
Mar 18, 2013, 03:55 PM
Don't worry US users...you're more expensive price plans are more than offset by the premium we pay over Apple products here in the UK.

Yeah, after one month. But thereafter, we have to pay it again every month.

keysofanxiety
Mar 18, 2013, 03:55 PM

It's a little-known fact that Verizon and AT&T are owned by the British Royal Family. They use this absurd pricing scheme as punishment for us breaking away back in the late 1700s. I wish they'd just get over it - it's been more than two centuries, after all - but man that Queen Elizabeth can sure hold a grudge!

:D That's an interesting conspiracy theory. Just don't say something like "we won WW2" or you'll really get a flame war on your hands. :p ;)

cmwade77
Mar 18, 2013, 03:58 PM
Huh? In what world is this a good deal? You still must pay $30 per line, in addition to the data plan costs. If you are a business and divide out the costs, it really makes NO sense at all.

Especially when you begin looking at competitors, such as Straight Talk, Virgin Mobile, etc.

Plutonius
Mar 18, 2013, 04:01 PM

Doesn't work that way. Many areas in the US are rural with a very very small population density and they still still supply coverage to them (i.e. the number of cell towers to supply service is exponentially higher (the population density is much higher in the UK so it has a much better tower to population ratio - Fewer towers needed to cover everyone)).

pnoyblazed
Mar 18, 2013, 04:10 PM
what's next? 1TB starting at $1,000?

jayducharme
Mar 18, 2013, 04:14 PM
$500 for 50GB shared? What the hell, America? Are you going to allow these corporations to rip you off and just take it?

There was this little thing that happened in the states a few decades ago called deregulation. It was supposed to be good for "us." It turned out to be REALLY good for massive corporations, not so much for consumers. And when the government agencies that monitored those big corporations were gutted many years ago, businesses were free to do pretty much anything they wanted.

Over the past couple of years, those agencies have been slowly rebuilt. But it remains to be seen if regulation will resume. In any case, when a new administration gets anointed in a few years, we might all be back to square one again.

ptb42
Mar 18, 2013, 04:20 PM
I'm amazed you Yanks stand for this sort of thing. It's not unusual for us humble, buck-toothed Brits to get unlimited data, unlimited texts and unlimited talktime for an average of 35-40 a month (about $60).

How much do wireline callers pay to call you? In the US, it's free. In the UK, isn't it about 20 cents/minute?

TEG
Mar 18, 2013, 04:31 PM
I wish they had these data share plans without the unlimited talk and text. I have a nice 550 Minute Family Share plan on at&t, and often don't use 200 minutes in a month, over 3 phones. I would love to find a way to reduce my data cost, instead of paying $30 each for two iPhones. However, this sharing system, would raise my costs 25%, mainly because of the unlimited talk and text.

TEG

Hakone
Mar 18, 2013, 04:40 PM

Let's not give them ideas... :p

mabhatter
Mar 18, 2013, 04:54 PM

Are you going to allow these corporations to rip you off and just take it? You should band together and boycott AT&T and others. Surely you could file a class-action suit through the Department of Justice because this is blatantly profiteering in a cartel with other major networks through the use of monopoly power.

But it's for up to 30 devices for business. So it's $30 for a phone, $10 for a tablet... And they all share this pool. Of you are actually using it for BUSINESS (and not for sales people to stream pandora all day in their card) that's not a bad deal. Even cheap 4g seems to be pretty quick now... So home care staff, lawyers, web designers could reasonably work off this all day off site now... No more wifi leeching.

Nermal
Mar 18, 2013, 04:55 PM

Aha! I assumed that AT&T meant "American Telephone & something", now I know that it must be "American Telephone & Tea" :)

jdechko
Mar 18, 2013, 04:56 PM
Come on, these are really plans for small business owners, not individual customers.

If I had a small business, I think this would be a great option actually. Then again, I actually did the math here rather than just complain about it. :rolleyes:

If you did 25 individual lines, that's $100/month ($70 for unlimited voice & text + 30 for the 3GB plan). That's $2500 per month. You are forced to do the 3GB plan because almost everyone will do more than 300MB and so you either have overages or excess.

The 50GB plan is $500 plus $30/line. If you have 25 lines (the max), it's $1250/month. That's 2GB average per employee. Some will use less, some more. Even if you did have massive overages, you could go over by 83 GB (@ 15/GB) and still come out cheaper.

Even at the low end it's pretty reasonable. 15 devices * $30 = $450 + 300 = 750/15 devices = $50/month per device for unlimited talk & text + 2GB of data.

AustinIllini
Mar 18, 2013, 05:15 PM
Aren't overage charges for data $10/gig?

bmt134
Mar 18, 2013, 05:22 PM
Gotta love capitalism. As long as people are paying for ridiculous priced data, the longer cellular companies keeps pushing up the price.

unlimitedx
Mar 18, 2013, 05:38 PM

Class action lawsuits against AT&T is not allowed due to a ruling a few years ago. It would need to be brought up to the FCC for any complaints.

supercoolmanchu
Mar 18, 2013, 06:29 PM
Gotta love capitalism. As long as people are paying for ridiculous priced data, the longer cellular companies keeps pushing up the price.

There's no capitalism at work here. :rolleyes:

It's a heavily regulated and restricted market, controlled by the government. State regulation of industry is the same thing as kings of yore, granting their favorite friends land and power. There's nothing capitalistic about the communications industry, if that were the case, options that were too expensive would fail to win money from consumers' wallets.

When the market is unfairly restricted and favors are granted by the government, prices can skyrocket without natural limits like those imposed by demand. The price you're seeing is the price paid to your political masters for babysitting, who call it 'protecting consumers'.

xxgilxx
Mar 18, 2013, 06:51 PM
Wow! I could download A LOT of por...ahem...puppy videos...

jav6454
Mar 18, 2013, 06:58 PM

Because airwaves/bandwidth isn't unlimited.

When all the UK networks launch their 4G services later this year, I'm expecting to pay maybe 30 or 40 a month for an unlimited 4G data plan on iPhone which I just tether to my MBP.

30 is worth $45.30 USD, which means, you pay much more than I do at $30 a month for unlimited on AT&T. Seems, I still pay less.

And I can still get unlimited data, text and voice for $55 a month from Virgin Mobile. AT&T just doesn't get it.

Regional carrier, and limited availability. Yes, sure, sounds fun when it comes time to move around.

Alos, these plans are business oriented as the number of max devices per plan is 25. This is not for the average consumer. However, if you need 30GB or more and can pony up, by all means, go for it.

Chupa Chupa
Mar 18, 2013, 08:01 PM
Those prices make me so glad i don't live in the U.S. Not being a "my country is better than the U.S." hipster, but damn.. that is expensive

I don't know where you live but I'm going to go on a limb and say I'm pretty sure there are things in your country that are a lot more expensive than in the U.S. I've traveled the world, and cars, electronics, & food are a lot less expensive in the U.S., even CA and NY! than almost anywhere else on earth - for the same item (not that those things are inexpensive here either).

Also the tax burden for most European countries is about 20% higher than in the U.S., so there is that.

So enjoy your cheap data rate because you are likely way overpaying for everything else.

rorschach
Mar 18, 2013, 08:11 PM

It's a heavily regulated and restricted market, controlled by the government. State regulation of industry is the same thing as kings of yore, granting their favorite friends land and power. There's nothing capitalistic about the communications industry, if that were the case, options that were too expensive would fail to win money from consumers' wallets.

When the market is unfairly restricted and favors are granted by the government, prices can skyrocket without natural limits like those imposed by demand. The price you're seeing is the price paid to your political masters for babysitting, who call it 'protecting consumers'.

With no or little regulation, companies are free - among other things - to collude to fix prices. Companies will also divide up territory ("market division") and agree not to compete there. I.e., Verizon and AT&T agree that one gets California exclusively and the other gets New York. Then each can jack up prices as high as they want in their respective territories instead of having to compete in both places. All of this is illegal thanks to regulation. It does happen in a completely open market.

See, companies don't want what is best for consumers. Companies don't want competition, and without regulation they will do anything to eliminate it. They want what is best for the bottom line. Many bad companies that make bad products and have bad customer service have survived for years even in competitive markets because no one cracked down on them. Once a company has control of a market, it is very difficult for some startup to get in and compete with them. And it would be even more difficult if there were no regulations restricting what practices companies can engage in.

JayCee842
Mar 18, 2013, 08:23 PM
I dont even use 3GB lol

Technarchy
Mar 18, 2013, 08:38 PM

The cost of supporting a national network in a country as big and as populated as the USA is huge.

Mlrollin91
Mar 18, 2013, 09:01 PM

$1000 for 1TB would be a steal.. Considering 50GB is $500, at that rate, 1TB would be $10,000!

ConCat
Mar 18, 2013, 09:28 PM
My next iPhone will probably be on Sprint. By the time I upgrade, LTE should be mostly rolled out. Hopefully they'll still have unlimited data by then...

The cost of supporting a national network in a country as big and as populated as the USA is huge.

Part of the problem is we still have a lot of sparsely populated areas in the country. Carriers are expected to cover everywhere, but many cell cites actually result in lost revenue, so they have to make it up in the rates they charge.

JodyK
Mar 18, 2013, 11:21 PM
It says the 50GB plan with 10 devices is $800 a month. That's $80 per line ... Horrible!

I am unlimited everything on Tmobile for $45 a line! No restrictions / no limits!

You can get metro pcs for $40 a line!

How is having the AT&T name worth double that?

PS I have an iPhone 5 factory unlocked running a very snappy 3G in Atlanta!

Rad99004
Mar 19, 2013, 12:40 AM
What a joke, I'm sure T-mobile and Sprint will have fun with this in their TV ads making fun of AT&T's math calculations. :D

guspasho
Mar 19, 2013, 12:46 AM
And I bet my "unlimited" plan will still get throttled at 2-3GB. Greedy bastards.

----------

This argument is complete nonsense as most people live in densely populated areas. And it can easily be refuted by their soaring profits.

tdtran1025
Mar 19, 2013, 01:23 AM
ATT is muts! A smart business with PBX could provide calls to all employees. All they need for each phone is internet access, which TMobile can provide unlimited access and text for $30. Mulitply by each handset and the savings is huge.

TheShadowXX
Mar 19, 2013, 01:36 AM

you are so wrong its not even funny.

vmachiel
Mar 19, 2013, 03:10 AM
I don't know where you live but I'm going to go on a limb and say I'm pretty sure there are things in your country that are a lot more expensive than in the U.S. I've traveled the world, and cars, electronics, & food are a lot less expensive in the U.S., even CA and NY! than almost anywhere else on earth - for the same item (not that those things are inexpensive here either).

Also the tax burden for most European countries is about 20% higher than in the U.S., so there is that.

So enjoy your cheap data rate because you are likely way overpaying for everything else.

I happily pay high taxes for the social security our country has, plus I love the regulations that we have that prevent this absurd kind of pricing.

Only thing that sucks, Apple products are more expensive than they are in the U.S. :p

BJonson
Mar 19, 2013, 03:55 AM
Ummm, where is the million GB for a million dollars a month plan? I can't find it. Maybe that's coming soon.

Chupa Chupa
Mar 19, 2013, 07:03 AM
I happily pay high taxes for the social security our country has, plus I love the regulations that we have that prevent this absurd kind of pricing.

Right, regulation that prevents market pricing on data, but allows absurd pricing on basic food and clothes. Sounds like a winner to me. (Not to mention you have no idea if you are buying steak if its from a cow or a horse). :D

Also, still no idea where you are from, but you have given a hint it's not Portugal, Greece, Italy, Spain, Cyprus, or Croatia.

Ingot
Mar 19, 2013, 07:56 AM
Right, regulation that prevents market pricing on data, but allows absurd pricing on basic food and clothes. Sounds like a winner to me. (Not to mention you have no idea if you are buying steak if its from a cow or a horse). :D

Also, still no idea where you are from, but you have given a hint it's not Portugal, Greece, Italy, Spain, Cyprus, or Croatia.

I believe he (or she) could be from Holland. It is written below his (or her) name on the left.

Xenomorph
Mar 19, 2013, 08:14 AM
I could be really bad at math, but wouldn't a 1.5 Mbps home DSL connection (which use to go for $19.99) be able to hit 500 GB in a month?

Even though the technology is cheaper than ever, AT&T is now offering 1/10th of the data for 25 times the price.

Carlanga
Mar 19, 2013, 09:21 AM
I wonder how many government groups are forking out on this rip off scam, milk em dry.

Well they usually know its a bad deal before they even sign.

--------------------
AT&T you are ridiculous w those prices.

marco114
Mar 19, 2013, 09:21 AM

Over-regulation. It drives the cost up, and reduces competition so it's impossible for new people to enter the market.

MacDarcy
Mar 19, 2013, 10:49 AM
I know this is for shared plans, but gimme a friggin break! Thats ridiculous.

LOL. Seriously, the telecom companies got some balls asking for such rates.

Boy, I'm sure glad I kept my AT&T unlimited data plan from my original ipad! I never let it lapse, and have since transferred it to my ipad mini. I ditched my smartphone altogether, and just make free calls on my mini. Heck, the thing is about as big as the latest Samsung phones. Lol.

It works great for me. I have a free google phone # so I can make & receive calls & texts. Missed calls go right to voicemail and are even transcribed(sometimes with hilarious results) to my email account. I also use Skype & iMessage. And now facebook is rolling out a free calling feature. With my $30 unlimited data plan that's all I pay, and don't have to worry.

Even tho I can afford it, I just refuse to pay the greedy telecoms over $100 a month for a smartphone. It's crazy...and by the looks of things, only going to get worse.

You do have options.

jont-fu
Mar 19, 2013, 11:05 AM
Part of the problem is we still have a lot of sparsely populated areas in the country. Carriers are expected to cover everywhere, but many cell cites actually result in lost revenue, so they have to make it up in the rates they charge.

Meanwhile in Finland:

- Our population density is less than half of the US
- The biggest cell operator has about 90% land coverage - with a 3G data network. 2G/voice is practically 100% coverage everywhere.
- And it costs about $20 for data plans of 20GB/month, $30 for 50GB/month (including 4G LTE speeds).

We even have cheaper operators with $10/month unlimited data plans at 3G speeds, but their networks don't extend to the most rural areas.

jdechko
Mar 19, 2013, 12:01 PM
Meanwhile in Finland:

- Our population density is less than half of the US
- The biggest cell operator has about 90% land coverage - with a 3G data network. 2G/voice is practically 100% coverage everywhere.
- And it costs about $20 for data plans of 20GB/month, $30 for 50GB/month (including 4G LTE speeds).

We even have cheaper operators with $10/month unlimited data plans at 3G speeds, but their networks don't extend to the most rural areas.

Area of Finland: 340,000 km^2
Area of US: 9,800,000 km^2

It's not just the population density, it's the overall land mass that needs to be covered by cell towers.

w0by
Mar 19, 2013, 12:24 PM
Yea it is much more expensive in the USA. My friend relocated to London for work for 2 years and he said the pricing is so much cheaper compared to the US.

----------

The USA is way larger. That's why in the smaller countries even the farmers can get 1gb internet for cheap. USA has sooooooo much more land to cover.

Area of Finland: 340,000 km^2
Area of US: 9,800,000 km^2

It's not just the population density, it's the overall land mass that needs to be covered by cell towers.

liavman
Mar 19, 2013, 02:54 PM
To all those posting cheap plans for unlimited data: Do they guarantee the bandwidth throughout the month irrespective of usage or after a certain usage they shrink it down.

xdhd350
Mar 19, 2013, 04:57 PM
but you guys seem to have it a lot worse than we do. Is there something I'm missing, or do we have it just as bad? :o

We make up the difference with lower fuel prices. :D

paulrbeers
Mar 20, 2013, 08:28 AM
Come on, these are really plans for small business owners, not individual customers.

If I had a small business, I think this would be a great option actually. Then again, I actually did the math here rather than just complain about it. :rolleyes:

If you did 25 individual lines, that's $100/month ($70 for unlimited voice & text + 30 for the 3GB plan). That's $2500 per month. You are forced to do the 3GB plan because almost everyone will do more than 300MB and so you either have overages or excess.

The 50GB plan is $500 plus $30/line. If you have 25 lines (the max), it's $1250/month. That's 2GB average per employee. Some will use less, some more. Even if you did have massive overages, you could go over by 83 GB (@ 15/GB) and still come out cheaper.

Even at the low end it's pretty reasonable. 15 devices * $30 = $450 + 300 = 750/15 devices = $50/month per device for unlimited talk & text + 2GB of data.

This! In my office alone we pay for something like 75-80 smart phones. Unfortunately with the way our company is setup, we simply get reimbursed for our own plan rather than all use a shared plan like this. What does this do though? It means that for 75 smart phones in my office, the company is shelling out around $70-80 a month per user. That works out to at least $5250 a month (as high as $6,000). Using your math (which I found to be pretty accurate), that would work out to $3750 which is a savings of at least $1500. Multiply that by 12 months = 18,000 a year in savings. That's well on our way to another low level Admin to do a lot of daily crap we all have to do and complain about doing because we don't have enough Admins!

TC25
Mar 20, 2013, 08:51 AM

Something people across the pond almost always ignore when they piously comment on US carriers. Most European countries are the size of US states.

SAIRUS
Mar 20, 2013, 10:54 AM
Isn't this just further proof that AT&T could support unlimited data, but rather switch us to a tiered model to just make more money and the fact they know we don't have any real competition to jump to?

(I'm a developer so we test on all the major networks)

jont-fu
Mar 20, 2013, 02:11 PM
Something people across the pond almost always ignore when they piously comment on US carriers. Most European countries are the size of US states.

I still don't get why providing a cellular service in a larger scale would be more expensive, as long as the population density is the same.

Most European countries have more population per square mile than the US. So it's cheaper to provide a service, as they have less land area to cover with towers, for the same number of subscribers.

But not all European countries are densely populated; my example was Finland, which is the opposite. Our land area is two average US states, but with the population of only one. Still we have great cellular service with a low price.

I'm not bragging about this, just wondering why it would be so expensive to run a service in the US. Some people here said that it's due to regulation, but we have heavy regulation in Finland also.

Michael Goff
Mar 20, 2013, 03:59 PM
Over-regulation. It drives the cost up, and reduces competition so it's impossible for new people to enter the market.

Over-regulation drives costs up and reduces competition?

Wha?

I... I don't even think I can wrap my head around that horrible lack of logic.

TC25
Mar 20, 2013, 06:06 PM
But not all European countries are densely populated; my example was Finland, which is the opposite. Our land area is two average US states, but with the population of only one. Still we have great cellular service with a low price.

Absent govt subsidization, I am hard pressed to understand how this is possible.

Low population density = fewer customers = lower revenue = higher price/customer to cover infrastructure installation and maintenance costs.

APlotdevice
Mar 20, 2013, 06:11 PM

Their ultimate goal is to sell you premium services that won't count towards your cap.

Squilly
Mar 20, 2013, 07:46 PM
Hey AT&T....

LOL

I couldn't stop laughing after this (literally 5 minutes of non-stop laughing). Dunno why.

KeepCalmPeople
Mar 21, 2013, 10:07 AM

The population density of the US is nowhere near that of European countries..

... and I state that matter-of-factly without being bothered to Google it...:D

TC25
Mar 22, 2013, 03:58 AM
Americans vote with their wallets instead of running to the government for help like the Brits do.

AT&T just doesn't get it.
Then they wont sell any of these plans. Get it? That's how the free market works.

APlotdevice
Mar 22, 2013, 04:12 AM
Americans vote with their wallets instead of running to the government for help like the Brits do.

And we get screwed over as a result. With carriers like AT&T and Verizon collaborating to avoid real competition with each other.

TC25
Mar 22, 2013, 04:29 AM
With carriers like AT&T and Verizon collaborating to avoid real competition with each other.

Of course you have proof of this illegal activity? :rolleyes:

zin
Mar 22, 2013, 11:05 AM

Doesn't appear that way. AT&T is hated by millions of its customers, most people on this forum hate them from what I can gather. Through your logic AT&T would've lowered prices/invested in service quality by now. Instead they continue to hit their customers with price rises and simply put a bad deal.

What appears to be the case is that Americans merely sit back and take it, and your "running to the government for help" doesn't hold true for Britain as, as far as I'm aware, there is no need for us to do so. I'm also pretty sure AT&T's monopoly position wouldn't be allowed at all in the UK.

----------

Of course you have proof of this illegal activity? :rolleyes:

If you seriously can't put 2 and 2 together and conclude that AT&T and Verizon are profiteering together then perhaps this is what's wrong with the American cellular market. Those two carriers practically control the entire market.

TC25
Mar 22, 2013, 11:55 AM
What appears to be the case is that Americans merely sit back and take it, and your "running to the government for help" doesn't hold true for Britain as, as far as I'm aware, there is no need for us to do so. I'm also pretty sure AT&T's monopoly position wouldn't be allowed at all in the UK.

We have not sat back and taken it since we got our independence and bailed you out in WWII. We also have not abdicated all our freedom to a nanny state....yet. All monopolies are bad except when it's a govt monopoly, eh?

If you seriously can't put 2 and 2 together and conclude that AT&T and Verizon are profiteering together then perhaps this is what's wrong with the American cellular market. Those two carriers practically control the entire market.

Who needs proof when we have someone from the UK with all the proof. Convict 'em now just based on your wisdom.

zin
Mar 22, 2013, 01:56 PM
We have not sat back and taken it since we got our independence and bailed you out in WWII. We also have not abdicated all our freedom to a nanny state....yet. All monopolies are bad except when it's a govt monopoly, eh?

Historically inaccurate and irrelevant to our discussion. It's a shame you have to bring in your distaste for my country into our discussion on the US cellular market. Have a nice day.

TC25
Mar 22, 2013, 05:32 PM
Historically inaccurate...

No, historically accurate. No US in WWII, you'd be speaking German today.

It's a shame you have to bring in your distaste for my country into our discussion on the US cellular market.

But you can slam the US with your snarky comments about Americans and that's supposed to be OK? Not.

WhiteIphone5
Mar 22, 2013, 06:46 PM
AT&T can suck it. Ain't nobody got time for that!

TC25
Mar 23, 2013, 04:49 AM
AT&T can suck it. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Wow, you tell 'em! I am sure they will be totally cowed by an anonymous poster on MR and completely redesign their plans designed for business.

WhiteIphone5
Mar 23, 2013, 01:52 PM
Wow, you tell 'em! I am sure they will be totally cowed by an anonymous poster on MR and completely redesign their plans designed for business.

um its pretty obvious that they're not going to read this comment. I'm just expressing what I have to say about the subject of the thread. So hop off my nuts

tekboi
Mar 23, 2013, 06:24 PM

lol... exactly. AT&T is just horrible. I'm going to switch to verizon one of these days.

dasmb
Mar 23, 2013, 06:35 PM

It's not the people, it's the cost to get to them. We've got about 6 times the population of the UK in an area that's 50 times larger. To build a network that "covers" this entire space (and none of them cover all of it -- if you're in the midwest you'll basically have coverage near a major highway and that's it) means lots of hardware, higher wattage antennas, more fiber point to point, etc.

Lower population density = more hardware per consumer to provide a given level of service = higher rates.

Also, since it costs more to build a network, we have much less competition between national network providers.

There are some very cheap regional carriers, and some deals if you don't mind taking a second tier network like T-Mobile.

The same is true but to the next degree in Canada. And as a result, they pay a LOT.

llarson
Mar 24, 2013, 09:55 AM
I have 3 iPhones and 2 iPads on a 15 gig account and for kicks I let my 7 year old son use his iPad on the school bus. His ride is an hour each way so he has about ten hours of usage while on the bus. At home he is on WiFi.

In two weeks he had used 10 gigs of data downloading and watching YouTube videos on the games he likes to play.

I have looked but other than TURNING OFF a device on the shared plan there doesn't seem to be a way of regulating the data a device can use on a daily or weekly basis.

Anyone know of a theif party app?!

APlotdevice
Jul 22, 2013, 02:00 AM
No, historically accurate. No US in WWII, you'd be speaking German today.

Historical propaganda. In reality the Soviet Union had a far more profound effect on that war's outcome than us.

TC25
Jul 22, 2013, 03:07 AM
Historical propaganda. In reality the Soviet Union had a far more profound effect on that war's outcome than us.

'far more'? Hardly. Thanks for the laugh.

egoistaxx9
Jul 22, 2013, 07:03 PM
good offer, bad price. although i was looking for a shared mobile data plan but this one is too expensive.

beaniemyman
Jul 22, 2013, 07:17 PM
seems impressive but isn't that a bit too expensive, thank god i dont need that much data.