PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy S 4 Benchmarks Nearly Twice as Fast as iPhone 5

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Mar 18, 2013, 04:11 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/18/samsung-galaxy-s-4-benchmarks-nearly-twice-as-fast-as-iphone-5/)

Following last week's introduction of the Samsung Galaxy S4 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/14/samsung-announces-new-flagship-galaxy-s-4-competitor-to-apples-iphone/), Primate Labs has analyzed Geekbench 2 scores for the phone (http://www.primatelabs.com/blog/2013/03/samsung-galaxy-s-4-benchmarks/), comparing it to a number of other smartphones including the iPhone 5.

The analysis shows the new Samsung flagship is significantly faster than competing phones including the HTC One, and its predecessor, the Samsung Galaxy S3. However, the S3 also benchmarked faster than the iPhone 5.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/skitched-20130318-145500.jpgFrom John Poole's analysis (http://www.primatelabs.com/blog/2013/03/samsung-galaxy-s-4-benchmarks/):
The Samsung Galaxy S 4 is twice as fast as the Samsung Galaxy S 3. Given that the Samsung Galaxy S 3 is less than a year old, that's a remarkable achievement. I am amazed at how quickly smartphone technology is improving.

The Samsung Galaxy S 4 is also twice as fast as the Apple iPhone 5. Apple has improved performance dramatically in the past (there was 2.5x increase in performance from the iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5). Will they be able to make a similar improvement for the next iPhone?Though the iPhone does benchmark somewhat slower than its competitors, Apple's close integration of software and hardware leads to significant performance gains that Android phones can't easily replicate.

Article Link: Samsung Galaxy S 4 Benchmarks Nearly Twice as Fast as iPhone 5 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/18/samsung-galaxy-s-4-benchmarks-nearly-twice-as-fast-as-iphone-5/)

jacobss
Mar 18, 2013, 04:12 PM
Whoa!

old-school
Mar 18, 2013, 04:12 PM
It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it...

Maschil
Mar 18, 2013, 04:13 PM
im an android user but who cares.... it should be faster as it was just released... the iphone 5 is what 7 months old now?

Radio
Mar 18, 2013, 04:13 PM
Amazing

And this is coming from a long time iPhone loyalist!

Apple please don't release an iPhone 5S

We want innovation not iteration !

Oohara
Mar 18, 2013, 04:14 PM
Amazing

Prepare to be disappointed :(

Risco
Android is a far less optimised system, it needs the faster CPU to give the same fluid user experience that iOS gives. Don't read too much in to it folks.

chuckd83
"Though the iPhone does benchmark somewhat slower than its competitors, Apple's close integration of software and hardware leads to significant performance gains that Android phones can't easily replicate."

Always look at the bright side of your life. :D:

Unggoy Murderer
Mar 18, 2013, 04:15 PM
Wow, twice as fast with nearly four times the number of resources.

That's money well spent

MasterHowl
Bet it still lags when you scroll down a Wikipedia page...

Djlild7hina
Damn... It's almost as fast as my macbook

chaos86
Mar 18, 2013, 04:16 PM
Android is a far less optimised system, it needs the faster CPU to give the same fluid user experience that iOS gives. Don't read too much in to it folks.

As a developer, I can back this up. I made a web game that ran smoothly on an iPhone 4, averaging about 30fps, great on an iPhone 5 at 60fps, and like crap on the FOUR core Galaxy S3, at about 20fps.

Don't even get me started on the fact that I had to support Android all the way back to 2.3.3, and the Android Browser which has been modified by the various hardware makers (HTC, Samsung, etc) to break a few web standards we needed. I can't wait for the day when the whole world is on a late version of Chrome.

Dranix
Please compare the number of cores - The s4 is roughly double the speed of the iPhone5: It only needs double the cores and each core runs 600MHz faster.

Am I the only one loling at this chip-design-fail?

aloshka
Hopefully it will feel faster than iPhone. Everything android feels slow for some reason. I think no amount of processor power might fix that.

AppleWarMachine
Bring on the A7 Apple :D

srxtr
Wait a minute. Samsung Galaxy phone model from this year is faster than Apple's iPhone from last year?

WOW!

Santabean2000
Mar 18, 2013, 04:17 PM
That's impressive. On paper.

laflores
So bad there is no Safari for Android... I bet it would be snappier!

NOV
iPhone5 is the fastest outdated phone that Apple was to produce so far.

bommai
I also read that the S4 has support for decoding H.265 video. While this is a brand new codec which is probably not even released yet, if the S4 can stream H.265 and decode in real time, it would be awesome because 1080p streams should take half the bandwidth as H.264.

I wonder when Netflix will support H.265.

adildacoolset
Mar 18, 2013, 04:18 PM
Amazing

And yet you're amazed by an iterative release

samcraig
"Though the iPhone does benchmark somewhat slower than its competitors, Apple's close integration of software and hardware leads to significant performance gains that Android phones can't easily replicate."

Oh, Jordan. The past doesn't always equal the present or future. Since you've never used an S4 - and who has - how can this statement hold any water. Time will tell whether or not this phone "bests" the iPhone with performance gains.

irDigital0l
Damn.

Gotta give credit to Samsung.

They said it was fast and they delivered.

macrumors12345
Mar 18, 2013, 04:19 PM
Naturally the S IV and HTC One do well, because they have 4 cores. In real world tests you will never see performance that scales up nearly linearly across 4 cores, unless you are running a video rendering farm on your phone. That's why the S IV is only 9-18% faster than last year's iPhone 5 on the Sunspider and Octane benchmarks, and the HTC One is actually slower than the iPhone 5 on those two benchmarks.

Unggoy Murderer
To be honest, I've yet to see an Android phone that can come close to iOS's smoothness.

Oletros
As a developer, I can back this up. I made a web game that ran smoothly on an iPhone 4, averaging about 30fps, great on an iPhone 5 at 60fps, and like crap on the FOUR core Galaxy S3, at about 20fps.

Web game and you talk about Android and not the browser using the game?

gibbo132
Amazing

I couldn't agree more. I really feel that the next iPhone needs to be a game changer. iOS needs to be totally revamped, it has been the same since release and I feel it is starting to feel old.

I would move to Android but there is no way I am giving up that integration between my iPad, iPhone and Mac. Photo-stream is enough for me to stay in the Apple eco system. I still see no reason to upgrade my iPhone 4 though.

Cactii
Mar 18, 2013, 04:20 PM
The iphone5 is 6 month old technology. No surprise. What's more interesting on the list is: Blackberry "the new innovators" :D

futbalguy
Mar 18, 2013, 04:21 PM
Sort of makes me wish they would focus time on battery life improvements over speed increases. Obviously, we can still do more with a faster CPU but I would much rather have increased battery life at this point. I guess its hard to sell more phones based on that. Also, I suppose the screen is the biggest issue when it comes to battery life. The article also said the original iphone had a testscore of 130. Amazing how far they have come.

Chumburro2U
Mar 18, 2013, 04:21 PM
Saw a hands on video of the Galaxy S 4 and I have to say that I saw a lot of LAG. Just waiting here for my upgrade soon and it will be the iPhone 5S, hopefully with 128 GB of storage. No theatrical nonsense to sway me. A vastly superior user experience is what you get with Apple. :apple:

MacRumorUser
Mar 18, 2013, 04:22 PM
The HTC One gets slightly better AnTuTu and Quadrant scores however ;)

Also benchmarks of the Exynos 5 version have been significntly different to the Snapdragon 600 variant.

Quadrant on the snapdragon version is 11-12,000 (same roughly as HTC One)

Quadrant on the Exynos 5 version is 8,000

So the assumption on the front page that the Exynos should score similar to the Snapdragon (despite being clocked 300mhz slower) is not proving to be accurate in some other benchmarks.

Custommm
Apple should release some bigger screen offering and listening to their consumer concerning updating their iOS instead of putting ad about some JD Powers rewards....
Some peoples learn the hard ways.. maybe their goal is to return to minimal market share like on their Mac line .... (now a cheap Macbook is at least 2 or 2.5 time more expensive than a cheap laptop PC)

A new Mac Pro cannot hurt too :p

sfrancis928

Hey now, the GS4 is basically a GS3s. Speed improvements are the kind of thing 's' iterations are known for.

ThatsMeRight
Please compare the number of cores - The s4 is roughly double the speed of the iPhone5: It only needs double the cores and each core runs 600MHz faster.

Yep, if Apple goes for a quad-core 1.3 GHz CPU (currently, iPhone 5 = dual-core 1.3 GHz), then they will already beat this score.

Combine it with improved architecture and/or higher clock speeds, and you've got a winner.

votdfak
Hopefully it will feel faster than iPhone. Everything android feels slow for some reason. I think no amount of processor power might fix that.

My Nexus 4 doesn't feel slow @ all. Quiet the contrary.

sfrancis928
Mar 18, 2013, 04:23 PM
I still see no reason to upgrade my iPhone 4 though.

Have you ever used LTE?

samcraig
Mar 18, 2013, 04:23 PM
Saw a hands on video of the Galaxy S 4 and I have to say that I saw a lot of LAG. Just waiting here for my upgrade soon and it will be the iPhone 5S, hopefully with 128 GB of storage. No theatrical nonsense to sway me. A vastly superior user experience is what you get with Apple. :apple:

From what I've read - and who knows - the software was not nearly the final build. I'll reserve judgement until there's a final release and review...

iPusch
Mar 18, 2013, 04:24 PM
Oh gosh!
All my friend biaaatchez will tell me that at school tomoz ^__^ I don't care lol I bought this phone cause I need the software 'n' stuff, and I know it works... And yet there ain't any speed problems :P excited for iOS 7^^ yay

futbalguy
Mar 18, 2013, 04:24 PM
I couldn't agree more. I really feel that the next iPhone needs to be a game changer. iOS needs to be totally revamped, it has been the same since release and I feel it is starting to feel old.

I would move to Android but there is no way I am giving up that integration between my iPad, iPhone and Mac. Photo-stream is enough for me to stay in the Apple eco system. I still see no reason to upgrade my iPhone 4 though.

I still feel like most people who want to move to Android only want to do so for a bigger screen. Apple should have jumped on that a while ago to save some marketshare. Otherwise, I feel that iOS still offers a great experience. I love the simplicity and that I never have to worry about it.

Heb1228
Mar 18, 2013, 04:25 PM
Benchmark tests on computers are deceptive because much real-world usage is not processor and gpu intensive. They may give accurate pictures of some things that some people use computers for. But for most users, benchmarks mean little. How much more is this true with a smartphone? I also wonder what the impact of battery life is with a 4-core chip running at 1.9GHz. Who cares how fast your phone is if you have to plug it in half the day?

baller1308
Mar 18, 2013, 04:25 PM
I wonder what can be expected from the 8 core chip that the US will never see in the near future :mad:

natd1993
Mar 18, 2013, 04:27 PM
Samsung & Android have all the gear but no (original) ideas.

Unggoy Murderer
Mar 18, 2013, 04:27 PM
I wonder what can be expected from the 8 core chip that the US will never see in the near future :mad:
You won't miss out.

Cactii
Mar 18, 2013, 04:29 PM
I still feel like most people who want to move to Android only want to do so for a bigger screen. Apple should have jumped on that a while ago to save some marketshare. Otherwise, I feel that iOS still offers a great experience. I love the simplicity and that I never have to worry about it.

Totally correct. I had every iPhone since version 1. I jumped ship just to get a bigger screen. I bought an Nexus 4 and after using it for roughly a month I couldn't be happier.

MacRumorUser
Mar 18, 2013, 04:30 PM

The AnTuTu & Quadrant benchmarks show your not missing anything other than bragging rights. If anything the Snapdragon version is appreciably the more powerful device.

kobalap
Mar 18, 2013, 04:31 PM

No, their stuff is good. I mean, it certainly isn't a Palm Treo from back in the day.

The thing about feature-itis and spec-itis. Well, lets draw an analogy using speakers. If we add the biggest woofer on it and add 3 tweeters and up the power handling to 1000 watts and have LED lights that glow every time the bass hits... That's gotta wind up sounding really really good. Right?

Oletros
Mar 18, 2013, 04:33 PM

In fact it is not an 8 core CPU, there are two 4 core CPU's, one for power intense applications an the other for energy efficient use

chrmjenkins
Mar 18, 2013, 04:34 PM
With nearly twice the battery size. So apparently the performance battery life curve is no different than the iPhone 5 one. Nothing to see here, move along.

leman
Mar 18, 2013, 04:34 PM
Now I would like to see some real-world JavaScript benchmarks (users do not use smartphones for number-crunching - yet).

rorschach
Mar 18, 2013, 04:35 PM
The iPhone 5 with iOS 6 runs incredibly well for me. Very smooth and no lags. So I'm happy with it.

My only complaint about the iPhone 5 is the screen size (too big; I'd rather have the 3.5-inch screen). But LTE was worth more to me so I got it.

Formul
Mar 18, 2013, 04:37 PM
Amazing

if better performance is the innovation you want then every single iphone was highly innovative ....

Codyak
Mar 18, 2013, 04:38 PM
Totally correct. I had every iPhone since version 1. I jumped ship just to get a bigger screen. I bought an Nexus 4 and after using it for roughly a month I couldn't be happier.

That's what happened to me. Way back when I had the 3GS I switched to a Charge because of the screen size and LTE. Used it for a bit than to the Galaxy Nexus and iPhone 5 I have now.

kjs862
Mar 18, 2013, 04:39 PM
Hackiniphone, anyone? Using a GS4 :rolleyes:

olowott
Mar 18, 2013, 04:39 PM
paper work , love it - looks like photoshop :p

please can they like run Real Race 3 and lets see who the winner is :D

ArtOfWarfare
Mar 18, 2013, 04:42 PM
Damn... It's almost as fast as my macbook

My MacBook has a single core at 1.6 GHz... How do you think I feel?

My iMac only has two cores at 2.4 GHz each!

Xenomorph
Mar 18, 2013, 04:42 PM
If you're looking at raw performance, does it really impress?

The benchmark shows that 4 Cores at 1.9 GHz on the S4 is twice as fast as Apple's 2 Cores at 1.3 GHz on the iPhone 5, correct?

What if the S4 had just 2 cores? That means Core vs Core, the "new" chip at 1.9 GHz is the same speed as the "old" chip at 1.3 GHz.

lolkthxbai
Mar 18, 2013, 04:43 PM
im an android user but who cares.... it should be faster as it was just released... the iphone 5 is what 7 months old now?

I think you might be missing the point. Apple could have made their A6 faster but chose not too because it was not necessary in order to run iOS 6 and most likely because it would lead to higher battery consumption. So, actually, it should be as fast as necessary, not as fast as possible.

I know Apple comes off as lame with some of their reasons to do or not do things but when they say that specs aren't THAT important, they are very right.

chrismarle
Mar 18, 2013, 04:43 PM
The Galaxy S 4 has a quad core CPU in the Snapsdragon 600 and each of it's cores are clocked at 1,9Ghz while the dual core Apple Swift CPU in the A6 are clocked at 1,3Ghz. The A6 is already a really fast chip since it smokes the Tegra 3 and is neck to neck with the quad core 1,4Ghz Exynos 4412.

But is anyone here really surprised? It's like comparing a 1,7Ghz dual core i5 to a 3,4Ghz quad core i7.

I say: let's wait for a quad core Apple Swift2 and then we'll talk.

Popeye206
Mar 18, 2013, 04:45 PM
I wonder how power consumption will be???? Will be interesting to see the reality vs the specs.

blackcrayon
Mar 18, 2013, 04:48 PM
Oh, Jordan. The past doesn't always equal the present or future. Since you've never used an S4 - and who has - how can this statement hold any water. Time will tell whether or not this phone "bests" the iPhone with performance gains.

Maybe, but we have used Android 4.2.2 devices and I have to say, nothing makes four cores feel like a single core more than Android. Maybe this new Samsung chip will finally be fast enough not to notice.

genovelle
Mar 18, 2013, 04:50 PM
Amazing

wasnt the 4S 2x the speed of the 4? so, aren't they always much faster.

Makosuke
Mar 18, 2013, 04:51 PM
That's about what I'd expect; the S III's CPU is a 4-core 1.4GHz and benchmarks in synthetic Geekbench roughly the same as the iPhone 5's 2-core 1.3GHz, but I'm much more interested in seeing real-world benchmark results.

See, despite having roughly equivalent Geekbench performance (which gives you raw CPU capability, although might overly weight things like memory speed), you get tests like these from Barefeats (http://www.barefeats.com/iph502.html) or AnandTech (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6309/iphone-5a6-sunspider-performance). Barefeats has an S III (running Android 4.0) performing at roughly half the speed of an iPhone 5 in Javascript Sunspider, and 2-3 times better GPU performance. (It was also nearly 4 times faster in Linpack, which seems weird; I assume that's due to some problem with Linpack on Android.)

If you don't trust BareFeats because they're a Mac-centric site (though never one that shies away from showing a Windows box as faster in a head-to-head test), Anandtech certainly isn't, and their benchmark has the iPhone 5 1.6 times faster in Sunspider.

Point being, synthetic performance does not, by any means, equal real-world performance. I do expect the S4 to be faster than the iPhone 5, but I'm not convinced it will be by as much of a margin as Geekbench implies until I see some practical tests.

maxosx
Mar 18, 2013, 04:51 PM
Amazing

You read my mind word for word. I concur :D

iMikeT
Mar 18, 2013, 04:52 PM
No surprise to see a big processor shoehorned into the S4 to make up for the pig of an operating system (Android) that it runs.

guerro
Mar 18, 2013, 04:52 PM
Samsung Galaxy S 4 Benchmarks Nearly Twice as Fast as iPhone 5

And the keyboard still sucks. The keyboard on my work SIII is one of the main reasons I don't give up my iPhone for personal use. What good is a benchmark if the words I type never show up correctly? I can erase the letters and retype faster?? :rolleyes:

pacalis
Mar 18, 2013, 04:53 PM

All fps and no resolution makes chaos86 a dull boy.

Seriously, are you writing for native iPhone resolutions? And the GS4 and other 1080p phones have to do a lot of heavy lifting.

samcraig
At the end of the day - it's about real world usage.

Why people are seemingly trying to either discredit or find some rationalization is beyond me.

To date - this phone benchmarks twice as fast as the iPhone 5. Period. If it benchmarked the same or worse people would be bragging on how the iPhone kicks ass.

Stop rationalizing. Wait until their are real reviews/you use one yourself/etc.

gibbo132
Have you ever used LTE?

I live in the UK! We struggle to get 3G signal here!

Oletros
And the keyboard still sucks.

The keyboard in the S4 is Swiftkey.

And, if you don't like the stock keyboard you can change it

genovelle
Mar 18, 2013, 04:54 PM

have you seen the videos of reviewer demoing the phone. The lagging is Painful.

samcraig
And the keyboard still sucks. The keyboard on my work SIII is one of the main reasons I don't give up my iPhone for personal use. What good is a benchmark if the words I type never show up correctly? I can erase the letters and retype faster?? :rolleyes:

Funny - because SwiftKey Flow is exactly why I use my Skyrocket FAR more than my iPhone.

pacalis

And keyboards? Sounds like a BB user. First, swype and swiftkey are great. But now I just hit the microphone button.

Northgrove
Mar 18, 2013, 04:56 PM
So... Uh... What about battery life. While running apps requiring that performance?

Unless Samsung is building batteries out of magic dust, that has to be a devastating performance hit and something you really wish to avoid.

genovelle
Damn.

Gotta give credit to Samsung.

They said it was fast and they delivered.
8 core should be fast. The problem is the software is poorly written so they need it just for semi-smooth performance

samcraig
have you seen the videos of reviewer demoing the phone. The lagging is Painful.

Do you realize the software isn't done yet? They still have 1-2 months before the phone is released? Do I realize that they SHOULD have had better software running right now - sure. But as someone wrote on one of the sites - when you pay the kind of money you do to have your keynote at RCMH and everything that goes with it .... you don't delay your product unveiling. You just make sure it does everything it's supposed to when it hits the public. Or yes - you're doomed :)

Oletros
Mar 18, 2013, 04:58 PM
8 core should be fast. The problem is the software is poorly written so they need it just for semi-smooth performance

It doesn't have 8 cores. The problem is people with poorly knowledge about what they are talking.

samcraig

Oh stop spreading FUD already.

BasicGreatGuy
I live in the UK! We struggle to get 3G signal here!

The Sprint towers are pretty weak that far out.

gibbo132

Funnily enough I don't care for a bigger screen. I find my iPhone 4's screen perfect, I have an iPad for enjoying content in a big way! But thats just me.

trunten
Mar 18, 2013, 05:00 PM
Wait. 4 cores > 2?
I'm confused. If 2's company and 3's a crowd then surely 4 is just crap.

RJCP
Mar 18, 2013, 05:05 PM
wasnt the 4S 2x the speed of the 4? so, aren't they always much faster.

I don't give a damn about paper specs. If the phone doesn't perform well, what's the point on having all that horsepower? It's the same thing as having a Ferrari and not knowing how to drive it.

Some of the hands-on videos still show choppy transitions and the most funny feature is the Air Wave or whatever they called it which just doesn't work properly. One of the videos I saw had a guy saying how great a feature it was and it took him a good 5 attempts to get scrolling working in the browser. Apple had a bad misstep with Maps and Siri wasn't properly developed when it first rolled out, but I mean, this just goes to show how most Samsung phones have with extremely poor hardware and software integration.

Now, I'm not bashing Android as an OS. For the people who enjoy it, it must be a great system. I just prefer the way to do things in iOS. However, if I were to swap to Android, a Samsung smartphone would be on the bottom list of my preferences. I'd go with sony or htc. I've owned a Samsung Omnia before my first iPhone and I wasn't happy with the build of the phone. Yes, great specs for the time, especially compared to the 1st gen iPhone, but the iPhone outperformed the Omnia in every software related task (the camera on the Omnia was pretty good, though).

samcraig
Mar 18, 2013, 05:12 PM
I don't give a damn about paper specs. If the phone doesn't perform well, what's the point on having all that horsepower? It's the same thing as having a Ferrari and not knowing how to drive it.

Some of the hands-on videos still show choppy transitions and the most funny feature is the Air Wave or whatever they called it which just doesn't work properly. One of the videos I saw had a guy saying how great a feature it was and it took him a good 5 attempts to get scrolling working in the browser. Apple had a bad misstep with Maps and Siri wasn't properly developed when it first rolled out, but I mean, this just goes to show how most Samsung phones have with extremely poor hardware and software integration.

Now, I'm not bashing Android as an OS. For the people who enjoy it, it must be a great system. I just prefer the way to do things in iOS. However, if I were to swap to Android, a Samsung smartphone would be on the bottom list of my preferences. I'd go with sony or htc. I've owned a Samsung Omnia before my first iPhone and I wasn't happy with the build of the phone. Yes, great specs for the time, especially compared to the 1st gen iPhone, but the iPhone outperformed the Omnia in every software related task (the camera on the Omnia was pretty good, though).

I've said it before - and I am not advocating for or against the phone - but the software on the demo units was not complete. So I think it's to judge based on the released version/reviews versus what was shown at the event.

BornAgainApple
Mar 18, 2013, 05:13 PM
Twice the speed needs twice the battery

Plutonius
Mar 18, 2013, 05:14 PM

What people really want are less expensive phones. Even if Apple had gone with a bigger screen, people would still be choosing the Android phones since it cost them little to none.

gto55
Mar 18, 2013, 05:14 PM
Ouch :/

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/8972/tumblrmb9xj9hoqe1rgu09r.gif http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4156/tumblrm66z0vlmp41rsc0d3.gif

daneoni
Mar 18, 2013, 05:21 PM
Yeah but can it make a phone call...

sulpfiction
Mar 18, 2013, 05:21 PM
All this hype and I bet you still see some lag when scrolling.

apollo1444
Mar 18, 2013, 05:23 PM
then we'll see the iPhone 5S scores and it'll toast those scores

samcraig
Mar 18, 2013, 05:24 PM
What people really want are less expensive phones. Even if Apple had gone with a bigger screen, people would still be choosing the Android phones since it cost them little to none.

Not necc. The HTC One, Samsung S4 and some others are the same if not more expensive. Oh sure - there are several phones with bigger screens and/or are less expensive. But that's a different matter.

zzebi
Mar 18, 2013, 05:24 PM
Actually, the S4 will be released a month from now.
The iPhone will have been on the market for more than 7 months by then.

Regarding the speed difference, Galaxy S3 owners love to claim that their phone is faster than the iPhone, but that's an utter BS. I use both the S3 and the iPhone 5 regularly and the S3 is unbearably slow and laggy compared to the iPhone. Those who claim otherwise have not used an iPhone for 3 years.

2bikes
Mar 18, 2013, 05:26 PM
I've said it before - and I am not advocating for or against the phone - but the software on the demo units was not complete. So I think it's to judge based on the released version/reviews versus what was shown at the event.

This is just a poor excuse. First impression is very important.

Point is iPhone`s software and hardware integration is better than any android phone.

tzeshan
Mar 18, 2013, 05:26 PM
If iPhone is performing better than Galaxy S4 in real world situation then these benchmarks are useless.

identity
Mar 18, 2013, 05:28 PM
then we'll see the iPhone 5S scores and it'll toast those scores

Then the Nexus 5 will toast the iPhone 5S, then the Note 3 will toast the Nexus 5, then the iPhone 6 will toast the Note 4, and then the SGS5 will toast the Iphone 5, rinse and repeat...

bmt134
Mar 18, 2013, 05:29 PM
Wait. 4 cores > 2?
I'm confused. If 2's company and 3's a crowd then surely 4 is just crap.

Someone's jelly! :rolleyes:

samcraig
Mar 18, 2013, 05:32 PM
This is just a poor excuse. First impression is very important.

Point is iPhone`s software and hardware integration is better than any android phone.

I agree it's not an optimal excuse. But at the end of the day - what's released is more important than anything else. First impressions are important - but so are second ones in the tech world. There's nothing better/worse to read that once in the hands of reviewers the device performs better or worse than their quick demo.

The whole hardware/software integration thing is subjective. It really comes down to use cases. Both my iPhone and Android phone work incredibly well.

clibinarius
Mar 18, 2013, 05:35 PM

So, by this logic, Apple has no excuse in not giving us a monster eight-core, no?

Superman234
Mar 18, 2013, 05:36 PM
Wait a minute. Samsung Galaxy phone model from this year is faster than Apple's iPhone from last year?

WOW!

Wait a minute. Samsung Galaxy s3 from early last year is faster than Apple's iPhone 5 from later last year?

WOW!

maxwelltech
Mar 18, 2013, 05:46 PM
What about the 8-Core version?

hchung
Mar 18, 2013, 05:47 PM
It doesn't have 8 cores. The problem is people with poorly knowledge about what they are talking.

Which it?

It (Exynos 5 Octa) has 8 cores. By all appearances so far, only 4 can activate at a time.
This still doesn't negate the fact that it has 8 cores.

It (Snapdragon) has 4 cores.

The problem is people with poor English skills.

baryon
Mar 18, 2013, 05:50 PM
This is why I can't get myself to buy a smartphone: within a year it will be twice as slow as everything else around. Within 2 years it will be unusable.

This doesn't just apply to the Galaxy S4 but to every smartphone.

Twimfy
Mar 18, 2013, 05:52 PM

It might feel and look old but it still works perfectly. I fail to understand this never ending need for something "new".

BasicGreatGuy
Mar 18, 2013, 05:52 PM
This is why I can't get myself to buy a smartphone: within a year it will be twice as slow as everything else around. Within 2 years it will be unusable.

Unusable in 2 years? That is crazy talk.

Breaking Good
Mar 18, 2013, 05:55 PM
The S4 has very impressive specs.

But I have to ask, how many Android OS updates will it receive over the expected useful life of the phone?

Don't get me wrong. I'm very impressed with the Android devices on the market today. They are beating iOS devices hands down.

But if I have a problem with my iOS device, I can take it to an Apple Retail store and my problem will be solved one way or another.

Where do I take my Android device to get that kind of service?

Karma*Police
Mar 18, 2013, 05:56 PM
Benchmarks are far more impressive on paper than in the real world so it'll be interesting to see some real world performance tests.

apollo1444
Mar 18, 2013, 05:57 PM
Wait a minute. Samsung Galaxy s3 from early last year is faster than Apple's iPhone 5 from later last year?

WOW!

the 4 core version apparently yes but there are countless benchmarks and videos off youtube and the iPhone 5 always toasted it, specially in graphic intense apps like games

bmt134
Mar 18, 2013, 05:59 PM
the 4 core version apparently yes but there are countless benchmarks and videos off youtube and the iPhone 5 always toasted it, specially in graphic intense apps like games

Who wants to play games on that puny screen anyways? :apple:

diddl14
Mar 18, 2013, 06:00 PM
Does someone have a link to the actual Geekbench results for the S4?

At the moment, it doesn't seem to be on the Android chart?
http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks

I'm curious to see if memory performance was improved. The raw CPU power is typically pretty useless without an improved memory interface.

roxxette
Mar 18, 2013, 06:03 PM
The real test is :eek: will it blend ?

hvfsl
Mar 18, 2013, 06:08 PM
The iPhone has never been the fastest when it comes to cpu performance. It's GPU performance where it normally does well (especially as Apple offloads some basic stuff to the GPU).

But the S4 should be faster than the iP5, it is a generation ahead (as Apple and Samsung release their new phones at different times).

srxtr
Mar 18, 2013, 06:13 PM

WOW!

What chart are you looking at?

autrefois
Mar 18, 2013, 06:15 PM
What a coincidence, I just mentioned Megahertz Myth in another post earlier today. And now the news that Samsung is beating Apple in processor speeds on their phones.

Apple is really starting to get beat on the specs and Samsung is giving them a run for their money on sales. Looks like it's time for Apple to either

• revive their campaign about the Megahertz Myth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3WnXaWjQYE) — updating it to Gigahertz and expanding it to include resolution as well.
• blow everyone away with the next iPhone.

I'm hoping for the latter.

guerro
Mar 18, 2013, 06:16 PM
The keyboard in the S4 is Swiftkey.

And, if you don't like the stock keyboard you can change it

You are missing the point. I shouldn't have to change it. It should work. Swiftkey is not the answer either. It is just as flawed as the keyboard itself.

The keyboard on the iPhone works. Very well. Apple got it right. Or at least they got it right-er.

ImperialX
Mar 18, 2013, 06:16 PM

The Galaxy S4 is really a Galaxy S3S from a technical viewpoint.

If Apple names it the iPhone 6, is it magically better?

guerro
Mar 18, 2013, 06:27 PM
Funny - because SwiftKey Flow is exactly why I use my Skyrocket FAR more than my iPhone.

Swiftkey is just as flawed.

----------

And keyboards? Sounds like a BB user. First, swype and swiftkey are great. But now I just hit the microphone button.

Swiftkey is garbage as well. Talking into the phone is not always an option. I tend to be around people all day and I chose to speak to them instead of my phone.

----------

How can something be 2 times as slow?

szw-mapple fan
Mar 18, 2013, 06:33 PM
So bad there is no Safari for Android... I bet it would be snappier!

Don't you mean "too bad"?

----------

Can somebody please explain the difference between the two S3 on the chart? (other than different processors) I never knew they made two versions.:confused:

wovel
Mar 18, 2013, 06:34 PM
The iphone5 is 6 month old technology. No surprise. What's more interesting on the list is: Blackberry "the new innovators" :D

WOW!

Except that is not exactly true. That is not the US model of the S3.

canman4PM
Mar 18, 2013, 06:36 PM

This has been the Apple way for at least a decade. Their computers always had slower clock speeds but ran their programs faster than PC's due to PC: fragmentation, unnecessary crap running in background and inefficient software.

Jimmy James
Mar 18, 2013, 06:40 PM
On the one hand; impressive.

On the other hand; this would be like me bragging that my Mac is twice as fast as my pc, but I use my Mac solely to run virtualized windows. It's not apples to apples.

samcraig
Mar 18, 2013, 06:43 PM
Swiftkey is just as flawed.[COLOR="#808080"]

Your experience. I've never (NEVER) had a problem with it.

tdhurst
Mar 18, 2013, 06:47 PM
I also read that the S4 has support for decoding H.265 video. While this is a brand new codec which is probably not even released yet, if the S4 can stream H.265 and decode in real time, it would be awesome because 1080p streams should take half the bandwidth as H.264.

I wonder when Netflix will support H.265.

Will never understand why 1080p is important for a screen that's 5" diagonal.

hamkor04
Mar 18, 2013, 06:51 PM

WOW!

Yes
Samson's last year phone s3 is faster but S4 is twice is faster

unobtainium
Mar 18, 2013, 06:52 PM

All the hands-on videos and previews of the S4 have shown noticeable lag, and most of the previews have mentioned it. Probably due to Samsung's custom UI. Time will tell.

bag of kittens
Mar 18, 2013, 06:56 PM
This reminds me of when people compare Dodge Chargers to BMW's.

Dodge Chargers have V8 engines, tons of horsepower and torque, but compared to the BMW 3 series (with less of those "specs"), the ride, handling, and overall experience is sub-par.

To me the device is all about how it works as a whole, and excess horsepower means nothing if it isn't utilized into a machine designed well from the bottom up.

:apple:

HishamAkhtar
Mar 18, 2013, 06:57 PM
Any word on benchmarks using the international Exynos processor?

samcraig
Mar 18, 2013, 06:57 PM
All the hands-on videos and previews of the S4 have shown noticeable lag, and most of the previews have mentioned it. Probably due to Samsung's custom UI. Time will tell.

Yes. Time will tell. I hate repeating myself - but a few places I've read hands-on reports acknowledge that Samsung stated the software wasn't the final version. So we will definitely see if these lags, etc are still present at launch.

Arguru
Mar 18, 2013, 07:02 PM

Don't even get me started on the fact that I had to support Android all the way back to 2.3.3, and the Android Browser which has been modified by the various hardware makers (HTC, Samsung, etc) to break a few web standards we needed. I can't wait for the day when the whole world is on a late version of Chrome.

As a fellow developer, either you are exaggerating or you don't know how to optimize code.

And although fragmentation in Android is a real and big problem, you don't have to support Android all the way back to 2.3.3. You do it because you want to.

Colpeas
Mar 18, 2013, 07:03 PM
Man, that phone is more powerful than my Core2 Duo ThinkPad!

But for what? Do you really need that much power to play Angry Birds?

Maschil
Mar 18, 2013, 07:04 PM
I think you might be missing the point. Apple could have made their A6 faster but chose not too because it was not necessary in order to run iOS 6 and most likely because it would lead to higher battery consumption. So, actually, it should be as fast as necessary, not as fast as possible.

I know Apple comes off as lame with some of their reasons to do or not do things but when they say that specs aren't THAT important, they are very right.

should woulda coulda

canman4PM
Mar 18, 2013, 07:06 PM
Apple should release some bigger screen offering and listening to their consumer concerning updating their iOS instead of putting ad about some JD Powers rewards....
Some peoples learn the hard ways.. maybe their goal is to return to minimal market share like on their Mac line .... (now a cheap Macbook is at least 2 or 2.5 time more expensive than a cheap laptop PC)

A new Mac Pro cannot hurt too :p

If Apple makes a 4.3-4.8" screened iPhone, will you be on this site complaining about the 6 hour battery life?

michaeljob
Mar 18, 2013, 07:08 PM

LOL WE ARE BLIND AND STUPID. What does this say about blogger. Yes person maybe lol

dannys1
Mar 18, 2013, 07:11 PM
And this means?

It means if IN THEORY, you could run the same application on both phones that used 100% of the processor (like video encoding for instance) the S4 would finish twice as quickly.

However this is impossible.

Plus I used the HTC One the other week with Chrome browser and it fails to scroll my website or others faster than about a jerky 3 FPS.

Im a lot more interested in how efficiently a phone can run rather than how many raw ghz and cores its waisting trying to do a simple task smoothly.

For the record this isn't "iPhone defending" because I used the Blackberry in the list here and that too gave a much snappier, smoother and enjoyable experience than any of the Android handsets.

And thats before we get into the fact that they are nearly 1/3rd of the size bigger, so of course they should have higher specs. The Galaxy S3 mini which is similar in size to the iPhone has terrible specs and performance.

Its all relative. Never had raw computing numbers meant so little in real world experience than in these bench marks.

haruhiko
Mar 18, 2013, 07:11 PM
Surprise! New phones are faster than old phones! LOL

Saturn1217
Mar 18, 2013, 07:21 PM
As an android user I agree with others that comparing raw benchmarks between the GS4 and the iPhone 5 is pointless. The operating systems are too different.

BUT I think it is interesting how much faster the GS4 is compared to its predessesor the GS3. This is also impressive considering this is the american version of processor.

But ultimately real world use trumps benchmarks.

unobtainium
Mar 18, 2013, 07:21 PM
should woulda coulda

If you paid attention to his comment, it's more like coulda, but wouldn't have and shouldn't have...

mdriftmeyer
Mar 18, 2013, 07:25 PM
The beauty of this is how much the A7 and new ImgTec GPGPU combined will stomp on the S4, on paper, and especially in the real world.

holmesf
Mar 18, 2013, 07:30 PM
What a coincidence, I just mentioned Megahertz Myth in another post earlier today. And now the news that Samsung is beating Apple in processor speeds on their phones.

Apple is really starting to get beat on the specs and Samsung is giving them a run for their money on sales. Looks like it's time for Apple to either

• revive their campaign about the Megahertz Myth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3WnXaWjQYE) — updating it to Gigahertz and expanding it to include resolution as well.
• blow everyone away with the next iPhone.

I'm hoping for the latter.

Reviving the MHz myth makes no sense. Both Apple and Samsung are using ARM based designs (not like PowerPC vs Intel). And in this case Samsung is using the ARM Cortex A15, a very up to date CPU architecture. It's not clear how ARM Cortex A15 competes with Apple's custom swift core in the A6 at this point. Possibly it's better. Anybody?

Archon
Mar 18, 2013, 07:30 PM
The speed jump is big and yet I'm feeling unimpressed.

Why?

It has 2 more cores and 1.9Ghz vs 1.3Ghz in the iPhone, I expected more than 2X performance honestly.

The hands on S4 demos still show lag and stutter in the UX, for shame.

The power of ARM continues to develop quickly and I can't wait to see what Apple has in store with Jony Ives running the creative show.

My .02 cents.

Mr. Retrofire
Mar 18, 2013, 07:34 PM
That's what she said.

wkd
Mar 18, 2013, 07:35 PM

it shouldn't matter if the iphone 5 is 7 months older. the price is still the same.

Archon
Mar 18, 2013, 07:36 PM
Do you realize the software isn't done yet? They still have 1-2 months before the phone is released? Do I realize that they SHOULD have had better software running right now - sure. But as someone wrote on one of the sites - when you pay the kind of money you do to have your keynote at RCMH and everything that goes with it .... you don't delay your product unveiling. You just make sure it does everything it's supposed to when it hits the public. Or yes - you're doomed :)

When is software ever "done" these days? Lol

However, the S4 is out in April. I highly doubt the manufacturing lines are on standby for much longer after the keynote. What you saw in video is close to final if not final.

terraphantm
Mar 18, 2013, 07:38 PM
This reminds me of when people compare Dodge Chargers to BMW's.

Dodge Chargers have V8 engines, tons of horsepower and torque, but compared to the BMW 3 series (with less of those "specs"), the ride, handling, and overall experience is sub-par.

To me the device is all about how it works as a whole, and excess horsepower means nothing if it isn't utilized into a machine designed well from the bottom up.

:apple:

Some times the power does hinder the overall experience. A 328xiA is a rather mundane car. Weak engine, really floaty suspension, terrible steering feel, and a god awful transmission. Despite being the same chassis, the manual RWD models drive so much better, particularly the 335i/is and M3. (Though a the previous gen 328i 6MT w/ a 3 stage manifold swap and sport/m-sport suspension would be fun -- but this is akin to jailbreaking).

My point is, there's no reason you can't have both the power and the rest of the experience, except that Apple won't let you.

bambamyi
Mar 18, 2013, 07:47 PM
sigh... switching to Samsung on my next phone....

yeah Apple... where is the innovation? getting tired of overpriced iteration...

canman4PM
Mar 18, 2013, 07:51 PM
Funnily enough I don't care for a bigger screen. I find my iPhone 4's screen perfect, I have an iPad for enjoying content in a big way! But thats just me.

Me too.

canman4PM
Mar 18, 2013, 08:01 PM
So, by this logic, Apple has no excuse in not giving us a monster eight-core, no?

Yes and they have patents on mini internal combustion engines to run it.

----------

Having never had one, how would you know? I've had a 3G and now a 4S. Never had usability issues with the former at the end of its life...

I guess it depends on what you want.

jm001
Mar 18, 2013, 08:11 PM
Of course it would be faster! It's got 2x the cores over the iPhone 5 + powerful CPU + higher speed (by 0.6 GHz) + double the RAM. It would be the laughing stock of the industry if it were otherwise. Kudos for Samsung for releasing a beast of a phone. However, not bad for Apple for holding their own against the lot of quad core and topping the dual core phones. It's gonna be an interesting spring /early summer if rumours hold true of a late Spring announcement by Apple.

samcraig
Mar 18, 2013, 08:14 PM
When is software ever "done" these days? Lol

However, the S4 is out in April. I highly doubt the manufacturing lines are on standby for much longer after the keynote. What you saw in video is close to final if not final.

Loading software on devices can wait until the very last minute - and often does. They have time.

tech4all
Mar 18, 2013, 08:23 PM

Hmmm wiki scrolls great for me...got anything else?

To be honest, I've yet to see an Android phone that can come close to iOS's smoothness.

To be honest you're probably haven't tried a recent version of Android. JB is as smooth as butter ;)

Such as?

JayCee842
Mar 18, 2013, 08:25 PM
The A7 will leave it in shame!

Plutonius
Mar 18, 2013, 08:26 PM
Not necc. The HTC One, Samsung S4 and some others are the same if not more expensive. Oh sure - there are several phones with bigger screens and/or are less expensive. But that's a different matter.

Most of the non iPhone smart phones sold by far are to people who are getting a free or low cost phone. Making an iPhone with a bigger screen will increase sales but not as much as people think.

samcraig
Mar 18, 2013, 08:27 PM
Most of the non iPhone smart phones sold by far are to people who are getting a free or low cost phone. Making an iPhone with a bigger screen will increase sales but not as much as people think.

Your opinion. I don't agree on either front.

JayCee842
Mar 18, 2013, 08:28 PM
sigh... switching to Samsung on my next phone....

yeah Apple... where is the innovation? getting tired of overpriced iteration...

May i remind you that the iPhone 5 is 7 months old? And just because the S4 has these great benchmarks doesnt mean it's a powerful thing, or innovative.

Plutonius
Mar 18, 2013, 08:29 PM
The A7 will leave it in shame!

I doubt it. Apple could easily make the fastest phone but will not if it significantly reduces battery life.

samcraig
Mar 18, 2013, 08:31 PM
I doubt it. Apple could easily make the fastest phone but will not if it significantly reduces battery life.

Agree. I'm not a gamer - so while speed is nice - I'd rather have an efficient use of resources and longer battery life.

I'm stick rocking my original iPad because although it would be nice to have the cameras - for my individual use case, there's been little reason to upgrade thus far.

Technarchy
Mar 18, 2013, 08:34 PM
I'll wait for Anandtech...

radman2020
Mar 18, 2013, 08:36 PM
Sick of seeing the statement about "yet to see an android run as smoothly as ios."

When was the last time you really used one. I have an iphone 5 and a Galaxy S3. The Galaxy is every bit as smooth as the iphone. Iphone has some cool animations that run well so it seems so smooth. Android has animations if you want them.... and they run smooth as silk.

bottom line. Ios has limited choices and does those choices well. Like a PC, Android has many ways to skin each cat. You can navigate to where you want to go by many routes. So it is more flexible but more complicated. It is harder to start up using an Android...but once you get going, you can go so much farther. If you really use your phone for limited use and aren't at all tech savvy... get an iphone! But stop with the lack of smoothness. Android is smooth as silk

Technarchy
Mar 18, 2013, 08:40 PM
When was the last time you really used one. I have an iphone 5 and a Galaxy S3. The Galaxy is every bit as smooth as the iphone.

Nope.

Transition effects are chopper and slower on the GS3. Even using the home button has tangible lag on the GS3

samcraig
Mar 18, 2013, 08:42 PM
Nope.

Transition effects are chopper and slower on the GS3. Even using the home button has tangible lag on the GS3

Again - your experience. That doesn't make him wrong OR you wrong.

uknowimright
Mar 18, 2013, 08:43 PM
lol at all these exaggerations and assumptions about android, it's like hearing high school girls talk about about other girls

radman2020
Mar 18, 2013, 08:52 PM
Nope.

Again, it just isn't true. I have no lag as I currently sit here with my GS3. Zero lag. Zero chop... Zero. You are just projecting an experience with an old android or making it up. It simply isn't true. I hit my home button and it instantly goes to the home page, no different than my iphone.

Thanks to those above who defended me... but this isn't opinion. A phone is choppy or it isn't. I am a power user. My phone has tons of stuff on it... taxed to the max. It isn't ever choppy.

And I am not squinting at my smooth screen because I can see it!!!!

samcraig
Mar 18, 2013, 08:53 PM
lol at all these exaggerations and assumptions about android, it's like hearing high school girls talk about about other girls

Gretchen, stop trying to make fetch happen! It's not going to happen!

Technarchy
Mar 18, 2013, 09:00 PM
Again, it just isn't true. I have no lag as I currently sit here with my GS3. Zero lag. Zero chop... Zero. You are just projecting an experience with an old android or making it up. It simply isn't true. I hit my home button and it instantly goes to the home page, no different than my iphone.

Thanks to those above who defended me... but this isn't opinion. A phone is choppy or it isn't. I am a power user. My phone has tons of stuff on it... taxed to the max. It isn't ever choppy.

And I am not squinting at my smooth screen because I can see it!!!!

Yeah, that's what club android has been saying for years, and every update they then clamor to say their lag problem has been "fixed"

etrinh
Mar 18, 2013, 09:13 PM
It's ok. People should buy what they want. The information is out there for the people to decide with it what they want. I appreciate all these benchmarks but they only influence a small part of my buying decision. Speed/Tech only goes so far because it get outdated by next year.

May i remind you that the iPhone 5 is 7 months old? And just because the S4 has these great benchmarks doesnt mean it's a powerful thing, or innovative.

coolspot18
Mar 18, 2013, 09:19 PM

... and don't keep rehashing the same excuses over and over. iOS is stale and needs a revamp. Apple iPhone hardware needs innovation too.

radman2020
Mar 18, 2013, 09:21 PM
Yeah, that's what club android has been saying for years, and every update they then clamor to say their lag problem has been "fixed"

yep. Android had a slow start. But you can say all the blah blah you want. It doesn't lag. Stop at the phone store next time and try a gs3. You have to be honest with yourself at some point. You'll have to trust your eyes.

Like I said, I own both. I have a GS2 (doesn't lag but has some bugs), a GS3, an iphone 5, an old iphone 4s.... and an ipad1. I am not relying on history. I am relying on my experience using the phone since your last wishful post.

I haven't seen anyone clamor to say lag has been fixed in generations of android.... moving on. the future is here. sorry.

Mrg02d
Mar 18, 2013, 09:27 PM
All this hype and I bet you still see some lag when scrolling.

That's why I sold my gs3 and got an iPhone 4S. Seeing the gs3 lag, at all, with such a better CPU than the iPhone made me bat crap crazy mad.

Looking at the s4 videos, I'm happy I switched to iOS....s4 features look like poorly done gimmicks. Sort of like the apps that seem cool, but wind up deleted minutes later. Especially the air wave scrolling....pitiful.

clibinarius
Mar 18, 2013, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=canman4PM;17017521]Yes and they have patents on mini internal combustion engines to run it.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Bad analogy: Why? Because Samsung's get adequate battery life. If I use my iphone with apps, guess what? It is dead within three hours if I'm lucky. I'd rather an 8-core and a bigger battery than thinness. I don't need thinness. Thinness, in fact, doesn't improve my user experience in using software.

So just like YOU don't need an 8-core, I don't need a thinner phone, k thx bye.

SPUY767
Mar 18, 2013, 09:37 PM

Yup. Just like my 6 year old MacBook runs OS X more snappily than my crazy fast home built windows runs windows 7. Optimization is everything.

jonnysods
Mar 18, 2013, 09:38 PM
What about the Nexus 4 and upcoming 5? I believe their integration of software and hardware is tighter as its a pure Android device?

alexN350z
Mar 18, 2013, 09:47 PM
Sick of seeing the statement about "yet to see an android run as smoothly as ios."

When was the last time you really used one. I have an iphone 5 and a Galaxy S3. The Galaxy is every bit as smooth as the iphone. Iphone has some cool animations that run well so it seems so smooth. Android has animations if you want them.... and they run smooth as silk.

bottom line. Ios has limited choices and does those choices well. Like a PC, Android has many ways to skin each cat. You can navigate to where you want to go by many routes. So it is more flexible but more complicated. It is harder to start up using an Android...but once you get going, you can go so much farther. If you really use your phone for limited use and aren't at all tech savvy... get an iphone! But stop with the lack of smoothness. Android is smooth as silk

I have no idea how did you get your conclusion as the difference between iOS and Android is so clear.

I have a Note 2 which has better Hardware and newer OS 4.1 than S3. Initially, I feel the Note 2 is quite smooth, but after observing it closely, the animations clearly lags than iPhone 5 even iPhone 4s. I have wrote animation code for both iOS and Android platforms, so I know what I am talking about.

I have to admit Android is better OS in many aspects, especially its openness and flexibility. But when comes to performance, Android is not even close to iOS.

atanase
Mar 18, 2013, 09:50 PM
Great bit of information, but I didn't know there was a competition. Buyers will choose what they like and what's reliable, not necessary what is faster on the benchmarks.

G'd day!

wkd
Mar 18, 2013, 09:56 PM
you know why ios is smoother? because its using outdated software.

its like running windows 95 on a modern day pc.

thats pretty much ios.

Torrijos
Mar 18, 2013, 09:59 PM
Honestly Android devices have, this last couple of years, always used stronger CPU but they remain mostly useless stats since apps don't tend to be optimised or complex enough to leverage those chips.

The real new that make this device a good iPhone contender is that it finally sports a decent GPU, the same family as those in Apple devices. (mostly proving that Apple choosing to focus on Graphics performance was the way to go)

Now what I really want to know (while I'm not interested in Android devices whatsoever) is if the big.Little chip manages good energy efficiency performances? This last couple of years Apple, thanks to its optimised iOS, has had better efficiency in power usage (the reason why other platform tend to have larger batteries), Apple then developed swift in order to avoid using big.Little ARM implementation, I'm curious to know if that was a waste of money or a clever development step.

atanase
Mar 18, 2013, 10:00 PM
you know why ios is smoother? because its using outdated software.

its like running windows 95 on a modern day pc.

thats pretty much ios.

No disrespect, but at least it works. Those who don't like the "ancient" iOS move to other brands, like Samsung. Life it's simple...

:)

yodaxl7
Mar 18, 2013, 10:14 PM
Four smartphones above the iPhone 5 are newer and have 4 cores going at higher Ghz. Next iPhone is within 5 months away. When it comes out, it will score better or the best.

erik7970
Mar 18, 2013, 10:19 PM
This is not surprising considering that the iPhone 5 has a dual core chip. I still feel though that the iPhone 5 still provides a more fluid experience in terms of the GUI and other general uses than some of the Android products I own. I find that my Nexus 7 still lags every now and then when scrolling through the pages of the home screen or flipping through the pages of the app drawer. My Galaxy Nexus also has a dual core chip and shows more signs of lag than my girlfriend's iPhone 5.

DaveN
Mar 18, 2013, 10:30 PM
I'm an Apple fanboy and must admit that I'm impressed. I'm still in the iPhone camp though. I like the Apple ecosystem.

Adam22
Mar 18, 2013, 10:43 PM
When the 5s releases it will keep up with lower specs because the software and hardware are built together . But when the iphone 6 comes out apple will put all their chips on the table and we will be amazed !

FrozenDarkness
Mar 18, 2013, 10:46 PM
Im surprised that people put this much stock in geekbench. I believe geekbench places heavy emphasis on RAM, a component apple is known to be very limiting on due to battery life issues. Because of this, apple tailors their OS to utilize less RAM. Does this make apple less powerful? debatable. The only benchmarks people should care about are application specific ones.

Comparing different mobile phones to some random benchmark is like comparing two electric toothbrushes to see which one moves faster instead of which one cleans your teeth better

yodaxl7
Mar 18, 2013, 10:46 PM
The conclusion I draw is that android is a bad os that requires a powerful chip. Technology in chips have reached a point that android is pretty good but still laggy. That is why S4 needs 4 to 8 cores to run somewhat smooth. I won't be suprised if the next iPhone is still dual core. iOS is the best os out there.

Adam22
Mar 18, 2013, 10:47 PM

Android is as smooth as silk? If by silk you mean sand paper ! Then yes . Very very smooth , so smooth I can use an android to leave a nice finish on this wood chair I'm building......

Renzatic
Mar 18, 2013, 10:50 PM
Android lag is apparently the new BSOD of the mobile generation. As in it's something you barely see anymore, but people keep bringing it up over and over and over again.

GoldenJoe
Mar 18, 2013, 10:53 PM
Benchmarks. A petty attempt to quantify the value of a device's performance. Numbers are meaningless. Only the user experience matters. Android has been demonstrating the lack of direct correlation between processing power and device performance since its inception.

yodaxl7
Mar 18, 2013, 10:53 PM
Android lag is apparently the new BSOD of the mobile generation. As in it's something you barely see anymore, but people keep bringing it up over and over and over again.

Android is going away by Tizen, since Samsung is basically the only android oem making profit. Samsung is forking android to create Tizen, I think.

iGrip
Mar 18, 2013, 10:54 PM

Yeah. Who cares what the scores are. iPhones are still better!

cclloyd
Mar 18, 2013, 10:55 PM
Amazing

I don't know about you, but I'm fine with Apple pulling a Samsung and releasing the same phone and making it 2.5x faster. That way they can't say "Oh, our phone is SO MUCH FASTER than the iPhone." Possibly release it before the ads come out.

iGrip
Mar 18, 2013, 10:55 PM
Wow, twice as fast with nearly four times the number of resources.

That's money well spent

Yeah. Who cares what the scores are? The iPhone is still better!

That's impressive. On paper.

Yeah. who cares what the scores are! iPhones are still better!

FrozenDarkness
Mar 18, 2013, 10:56 PM
Problem is geekbench is saying samsung s4 has higher horsepower and torque, but the iphone may still be the faster car

SlCKB0Y
Mar 18, 2013, 10:57 PM
I can almost hear the collective cry of "Wah Wah!!! specs and benchmarks are meaningless!!"

If the next iPhone comes out with higher specs and benchmarks watch this change in an instant. :rolleyes:

jredecop
Mar 18, 2013, 11:02 PM
I don't know about you, but I'm fine with Apple pulling a Samsung and releasing the same phone and making it 2.5x faster. That way they can't say "Oh, our phone is SO MUCH FASTER than the iPhone." Possibly release it before the ads come out.

Not quite the same phone though, bigger screen in a tad smaller housing, 1080p (44? Ppi!!). Love the small bezel.

simonmet
Mar 18, 2013, 11:04 PM
What are people doing on their phones where they need that kind of power...and more importantly, how much juice will that chip suck?

I must admit that iPhone 5 feels a lot faster than the 4, which is great, but there comes a point where it's so fast any further increases will be barely perceptible if at all.

iRun26.2
Mar 18, 2013, 11:06 PM
It might feel and look old but it still works perfectly. I fail to understand this never ending need for something "new".

I agree. In fact, one of the reasons I like getting a new iPhone (every other year) is that it will be just like the previous model that I currently use...but better! I will greatly appreciate the new/better iPhone (better screen, better camera, larger storage space, faster speed) but I won't be lost. I'll be able to use it right away!

Renzatic
Mar 18, 2013, 11:06 PM
Android is going away by Tizen, since Samsung is basically the only android oem making profit. Samsung is forking android to create Tizen, I think.

Samsung's about the only Android manufacturer doing any heavy advertising, too. Like take the new HTC One. To me, it's a better phone than the S4, but it won't sell nearly as well, because no one but a few tech geeks have heard about it. Google needs to work with their partners a little more, and do something to spread the word a bit better than they have been if they want to take on Samsung and Apple both.

Plus, I believe Tizen is more an interesting side project than an actual direct threat to anyone. Without the selection of apps or direct access to any of Google's services, Android by itself is a bit of a dead duck. It's an OS without anything to use on it, which is the situation Tizen would find itself in starting out.

----------

Yeah. who cares what the scores are! iPhones are still better!

iPhones are the best! Have you seen the newest benchmarks?

What? The S4 benches better? Like numbers matter! It's all about the user experience! OLOL!

ValerieDurden
Mar 18, 2013, 11:07 PM
4 cores versus 2 not impressed.

roxxette
Mar 18, 2013, 11:17 PM
4 cores versus 2 not impressed.

:rolleyes: sure buddy

Simplyiphone
Mar 18, 2013, 11:17 PM
LOL people make me laugh Especially the hard core apple fan boys. I have owned the gs3 and the note 2 and there performance on day to day use was amazing I had no issues. Now I currently have another iPhone 5 and don't get me wrong I am not bias I love all os's and technology but guys its time to put the big pants on and admit it that Samsung and Htc are putting out amazing phones and android is on pair with iOS now in the smoothness department, and to the people that say iOS is perfect and don't lag BS my Facebook app locks up and freezes on pictures n it crashes on the daily "after a restore too" and get a decent amount of lag when I am texting to fast and get a notification so simple things like that I don't have on android and yes I am getting a GS4 and a GS4 with cyanogen mod or aokp I can bet my iPhone 5 that it would be quicker then anything apple puts out. Apple fan boys its time to face the facts and realize that android is pushing hard and moving the ball forward. Great example is the gs3 it came out with ics which was the smoothest android ever been and was the game changer of 2012 N knocked apple off its high point and btw battery life on the note 2 destroys the iPhone 5 note 2 is a quad core phone with a 5.5 inch display so I am pretty sure the s4 will hold its own weight

sjinsjca
Mar 18, 2013, 11:18 PM

...And how long you last. What sort of battery life does this performance yield?

rhett7660
Mar 18, 2013, 11:21 PM
And yet you're amazed by an iterative release

Beat me to it, same phone bump in speed... amazing. Yet Apple does it and they are now stale.. ugh.

alphaod
Mar 18, 2013, 11:23 PM
My iPhone 5 does everything I need it to while offering excellent battery life. That's all that matters.

(My GS3 needed a two batteries to last through the day)

Adam22
Mar 18, 2013, 11:28 PM
LOL people make me laugh Especially the hard core apple fan boys. I have owned the gs3 and the note 2 and there performance on day to day use was amazing I had no issues. Now I currently have another iPhone 5 and don't get me wrong I am not bias I love all os's and technology but guys its time to put the big pants on and admit it that Samsung and Htc are putting out amazing phones and android is on pair with iOS now in the smoothness department, and to the people that say iOS is perfect and don't lag BS my Facebook app locks up and freezes on pictures n it crashes on the daily "after a restore too" and get a decent amount of lag when I am texting to fast and get a notification so simple things like that I don't have on android and yes I am getting a GS4 and a GS4 with cyanogen mod or aokp I can bet my iPhone 5 that it would be quicker then anything apple puts out. Apple fan boys its time to face the facts and realize that android is pushing hard and moving the ball forward. Great example is the gs3 it came out with ics which was the smoothest android ever been and was the game changer of 2012 N knocked apple off its high point and btw battery life on the note 2 destroys the iPhone 5 note 2 is a quad core phone with a 5.5 inch display so I am pretty sure the s4 will hold its own weight

Yeah they're phones are great because they compare to the iphone . They keep trying to make an iphone killer .... Apple is
Not making Samsung killers lol

Simplyiphone
Mar 18, 2013, 11:31 PM
Yeah they're phones are great because they compare to the iphone . They keep trying to make an iphone killer .... Apple is
Not making Samsung killers lol

Your joking ?? Apparently u didn't see the keynote of the iPad mini when they was bashing the nexus 7 or when Steve use to bash the competitors numbers on every opening in each key note ;)

4TheLoveOfTech
Mar 18, 2013, 11:45 PM

Wow...you already have the phone?

Post a video I'd love to see it.

I'll wait until I can see the phone & test it until I post dumbass comments.

Technarchy
Mar 18, 2013, 11:46 PM
That's why I sold my gs3 and got an iPhone 4S. Seeing the gs3 lag, at all, with such a better CPU than the iPhone made me bat crap crazy mad.

Looking at the s4 videos, I'm happy I switched to iOS....s4 features look like poorly done gimmicks. Sort of like the apps that seem cool, but wind up deleted minutes later. Especially the air wave scrolling....pitiful.

You mean the laggy Jedi mind power touchless scrolling is not a feature?

4TheLoveOfTech
Mar 18, 2013, 11:47 PM

Always look at the bright side of your life. :D:

Half is not somewhat slower.

Radio
Mar 18, 2013, 11:51 PM

Why not a bigger screen first? :)

4TheLoveOfTech
Mar 18, 2013, 11:55 PM
When the 5s releases it will keep up with lower specs because the software and hardware are built together . But when the iphone 6 comes out apple will put all their chips on the table and we will be amazed !

So you're already passing on the 5S and GS4 is double the speed? Keeping in mind benchmarks. So you can get to the home screen 2007 faster.

Really cool. My Great great grandma would love it.

myhaksown
Mar 18, 2013, 11:55 PM
I find it ironic that everyone thinks that they need the power of a MacBook 7,1 (Mid-2010) in their pocket. Seriously? An iPhone can run all (not buggy) apps on the App Store smoothly. That Galaxy S4 needs to be that powerful just to run the browser smoothly. Don't be fooled, my entire family uses Android and I use iOS. All my family does is complain how their supposedly faster devices are so slow and bogged down.

4TheLoveOfTech
Mar 18, 2013, 11:58 PM
You mean the laggy Jedi mind power touchless scrolling is not a feature?

Yeah just pitiful because no one in cold weather with gloves on or hot weather with a golf glove on would love this feature.

4TheLoveOfTech
Mar 19, 2013, 12:10 AM

Except now it's the Android bunch getting some. IOS 2007.

FrozenDarkness
Mar 19, 2013, 12:13 AM
Android benchmark people are the same people who think raw power is more inportant than drivers for graphic cards

4TheLoveOfTech
Mar 19, 2013, 12:14 AM
I find it ironic that everyone thinks that they need the power of a MacBook 7,1 (Mid-2010) in their pocket. Seriously? An iPhone can run all (not buggy) apps on the App Store smoothly. That Galaxy S4 needs to be that powerful just to run the browser smoothly. Don't be fooled, my entire family uses Android and I use iOS. All my family does is complain how their supposedly faster devices are so slow and bogged down.

Then get them an Andoid phone with ICS or Jelly Bean it's great.
Bring on some KLP.

dampfnudel
Mar 19, 2013, 12:29 AM
Prepare to be disappointed :(

I'm was hoping Apple would continue with the trend of being unpredictable (like with the release of two iPads in one year), but I'm afraid you're right. iPhone 5S with Siri: The Next Generation inbound!!!

Erasmus
Mar 19, 2013, 12:57 AM
It's 50% bigger than the iPhone 5. And people are impressed that it's faster???

A 15" RMBP with a 4G modem will thoroughly cane the S4. Is that a fair comparison too?

Jibbajabba
Mar 19, 2013, 12:59 AM
Some Apple fanbois are just a bunch of hypocrites. The people here saying "who needs 4-8 cores blabla" are probably the same who whinge if Apple just upgrades hardware.

You gotta give credit where credit is due. They made a phone not just a smidge smaller but cramped more oomph and a bigger battery in but even made the screen bigger without jeopardising the overall size.

tdtran1025
Mar 19, 2013, 01:18 AM
AAPL will go down further. Drawn into battle screen size. If Apple keep the same ratio while boosting the screen to 5", they will have a winning product again; and launch it by summer to reap it.

Oletros
Mar 19, 2013, 01:34 AM
Which it?

It (Exynos 5 Octa) has 8 cores. By all appearances so far, only 4 can activate at a time.
This still doesn't negate the fact that it has 8 cores.

It (Snapdragon) has 4 cores.

The problem is people with poor English skills.

The exynox 5 is made by TWO CPU's, one Cortex A15 and one Cortex A7. It is not a CPU with 8 cores

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/arma7-biglittle-4ea041f-intro.png

The problem, as I said, is people talking without knowing what they are talking about

Or perhaps, the ones with poor English skills are others.

----------

You are missing the point. I shouldn't have to change it. It should work. Swiftkey is not the answer either. It is just as flawed as the keyboard itself.

The keyboard on the iPhone works. Very well. Apple got it right. Or at least they got it right-er.

iPhone keyboard was very bad for me, I can't write like I write with Swiftkey.

You're missing the point, there is choice and no, in the S4 you don't change the keyboard the default one is swiftkey.

And why is flawed?

adder7712
Mar 19, 2013, 02:01 AM

I'm using a Galaxy S II with AOKP and it's butter smooth. :)

----------

Oh stop spreading FUD already.

Yep, more like 4 big + 4 LITTLE cores.

turtlez
Mar 19, 2013, 02:02 AM
I'm an Apple fanboy and must admit that I'm impressed. I'm still in the iPhone camp though. I like the Apple ecosystem.

notice the 5 is faster than the S3? You are comparing the next gen phone to a previous gen phone. Wait for the 5S release to compare phones with.

MacRumorUser
Mar 19, 2013, 02:20 AM
Any word on benchmarks using the international Exynos processor?

Quadrant and AnTuTu scores are out and the Snapdragon version is beating it.

Quadrant = 11,000-12,000 (1.9ghz snapdragon)
Quadrant = 8,000 (1.6ghz Exynos 5)

AnTuTu closer but similar story

19,000 Exynos, 22-23,000 snapdragon

However these wre run on the pre-production version until we see retail version we won't know for sure if the difference persists.The HTC one actually beats both versions in Quadrant & AnTuTu in nearly all instances currently, but again this might be different when the final version is released.

Zaqfalcon
Mar 19, 2013, 02:24 AM
Smartphone manufacturers are really clutching at differentiation straws. I can't think of much that really feels genuinely innovative or 'better' (JI) for quite some time now. Maybe they're reaching their zenith.

BJonson
Mar 19, 2013, 02:27 AM
It's funny watching people defend the iphone. It's like watching a parent of a criminal defend their kid. Everyone knows the kid should be locked up but mom will swear he's a good kid caught up in circumstance.

Let me know when the iphone gets:

- Larger screen
- Faster performance
- More ram
- Better camera
- a back button
- removable battery
- sd card slot
- swipe typing
- A damn file system
- Multiple browsers
- LED notification light
- can install any mp3 as ring tone
- widgets
- a real notification bar
- multitasking

Ugh. Tired of typing. The list can go on forever.

Mike MA
Mar 19, 2013, 02:33 AM
It's the overall performance like display, speed and battery power that matter - and not any individual specs. My iPhone 4 still feels great even when doing some gameplay action (at least running Real Racing 2).

So if you really want a bigger screen, get yourself an iPad Mini. If not, buy a Samsung S4...

FrozenDarkness
Mar 19, 2013, 02:36 AM
It's funny watching people defend the iphone. It's like watching a parent of a criminal defend their kid. Everyone knows the kid should be locked up but mom will swear he's a good kid caught up in circumstance.

Let me know when the iphone gets:

- Larger screen
- Faster performance
- More ram
- Better camera
- a back button
- removable battery
- sd card slot
- swipe typing
- A damn file system
- Multiple browsers
- LED notification light
- can install any mp3 as ring tone
- widgets
- a real notification bar
- multitasking

Ugh. Tired of typing. The list can go on forever.

Half ot those is complete bs. The iphone 5 camera is still top of the class, for example.

I care about benchmarks, i really do. I think most of you guys are clueless. Let me know when your workflow includes anything geekbench tests for. This is as pointless as comparing 3d mark scores and thinking it translate to real gaming performance. Compare useful crap like spidermark or an actual games' framerates, application launch times, etc

baryon
Mar 19, 2013, 02:54 AM
Unusable in 2 years? That is crazy talk.

Okay well not literally but I mean they go obsolete way too fast, still!

BJonson
Of course all the iphones feel fast thats because IOS does 1/32 the stuff android can do. Just like OS 9 would scream on a core 2 duo cpu. That is basically where apple is at. They didnt get serious until windows xp came out and android is the new xp. Maybe it will kick them into gear. We shall see but I would not count on it.

Bottom line is phones are being positioned to replace your computers and to do that they will need to be versatile, fast, and functional and android us rapidly achieving that. Heck I can already use a mouse keyboard and monitor with my note 2. This is where apple will fail because they have locked down everything so tight that there is no choice. They are relying in your fear of a virus to let them do it and you are giving away your freedom by allowing them.

Wake up already.

Danyboy
Have you ever used LTE?

Same here. I still use my iPhone 4 and I don't intend to change it. LTE? Not available in my country. Siri? Doesn't speak my language. All my apps are running just fine, so I really don't have any reason to give up my iPhone 4. Ah, everything should change if they give me a 5 inch screen, NFC, wireless charging and other advance stuff.

FrozenDarkness
Mar 19, 2013, 02:57 AM
Of course all the iphones feel fast thats because IOS does 1/32 the stuff android can do. Just like OS 9 would scream on a core 2 duo cpu. That is basically where apple is at. They didnt get serious until windows xp came out and android is the new xp. Maybe it will kick them into gear. We shall see but I would not count on it.

Bottom line is phones are being positioned to replace your computers and to do that they will need to be versatile, fast, and functional and android us rapidly achieving that. Heck I can already use a mouse keyboard and monitor with my note 2. This is where apple will fail because they have locked down everything so tight that there is no choice. They are relying in your fear of a virus to let them do it and you are giving away your freedom by allowing them.

Wake up already.

I woudl always respect an android user for this, wants everything to be available, even if it's absolutely useless to their everyday lives. How many lapphones came out in the past and failed miserably? i'm sorry, doesn't matter what android can or can not do (iphone's airplane mirroring is arguably a better function than anything you listed), what matters is what it can do well, and what it can do to transform your lives.

btw, i've seen this on a lot of posts, about android multi-tasking. let's be absolutely clear, other than better UI, android multi-tasking isn't that much better than iOS. in fact, i don't even consider it multi-tasking at all. what the current crop of phones have as multi-tasking is essentially minimizing all your windows one by one and opening it up, one by one. True multi-tasking is when you can have multiple windows open like what samsung attempted to do but failed miserably at the note 2. that's revolutionary. Let's not joke with ourselves here, if an app on IOS supports it, there's practically no difference between the two except for maybe the number of apps you can store in memory.

actually i just read up on this, android doesn't even have multi-tasking androidfans are crying about. they don't allow you to dictate which app should run live and which shouldn't. they kill apps by themselves. app have to be coded for multi-tasking to work. Most of the major browsers have to refresh after switching to them. I mean, really now.

MacRumorUser
Mar 19, 2013, 03:00 AM

Actually watch

http://youtu.be/NIOQxZih9zE

You will see some noticeable lag just moving through the OS such as app drawer/widgets etc..

krspkbl
Mar 19, 2013, 03:07 AM
Let's wait and see how it actually runs. Apple has it's software and hardware working together so closely that it runs so well. Not just on mobiles. I bought a laptop with the similar specs as the late 2012 macbook air 1.7Ghz i5 (dual core), 8GB RAM, 500Gb HD, Intel HD 4000 graphics. It runs so much slower than the Air despite pretty much same specs. the hardware comes from one company and the software comes from another. ive owned androids and feel that they are the windows of the mobile world. it has to run on so many different machines so its fragmented with so many resolutions/drivers etc.

i still have my 4s and im looking forward to the 5S. i dont really see anything else they can do hardware wise to innovate except keep it up to date with cpu/gpu/ram. the iphone 6 is gonna need to be a total redesign (it was always gonna be based on trends) and not just a redesign of the 4 design. Maybe they can put in a bigger screen but apart from that there's not really much else i'd be interested in. software is where it's at. iOS needs to an total overhaul. we've essentially had the same look since 2007. it needs refreshed and more features. maybe we'll see that with iOS7 because mid-late 2014 is a long time away to wait on the iphone 6 for them to catch up with android.

Drinahn
Mar 19, 2013, 03:12 AM

Ha! Indeed!

Oletros
Mar 19, 2013, 03:16 AM
actually i just read up on this, android doesn't even have multi-tasking androidfans are crying about. they don't allow you to dictate which app should run live and which shouldn't. they kill apps by themselves. app have to be coded for multi-tasking to work. Most of the major browsers have to refresh after switching to them. I mean, really now.

It seems that you have read about other operating system and not about Android because all you have said is wrong.

BJonson
Mar 19, 2013, 03:19 AM
Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'
Plannin' and dreaming... La La La La.

FrozenDarkness
Mar 19, 2013, 03:21 AM
It seems that you have read about other operating system and not about Android because all you have said is wrong.

well not having an android phone, i know at least 75% of that is true so whatever

BJonson
Mar 19, 2013, 03:24 AM
well not having an android phone, i know at least 75% of that is true so whatever

Good come back bro. LOL.

Oletros
Mar 19, 2013, 03:25 AM

What 75%?

Danyboy
Mar 19, 2013, 03:25 AM
Man, that phone is more powerful than my Core2 Duo ThinkPad!

But for what? Do you really need that much power to play Angry Birds?

If they make more powerful phones, then the software will be more powerful in the future. If you don't make more powerful phones TODAY, you will forever have only Angry Birds style apps on your phone. First you build a powerful phone and then the developers will create powerful software for you powerful phone!

FrozenDarkness
Mar 19, 2013, 03:30 AM
Good come back bro. LOL.

i know ironic, i literally just said the same bs as you.

but android does suspend apps without your permission
you actually can't dictate which apps gets suspended or not
there is some sort of V-Power hack you can do but iphone also has a backgrounder app
here are the list of browsers that refreshes when you switch to it: Chrome, Dolphin, Boat, Maxthon, AOSP, ICS Browser+, Opera, Firefox.

just a fast google into xda-developers a very well respected android site. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1906740

mind you it's also filled with hacky ways to get it to work, like is aid, ios also has backgrounder.

BJonson
Mar 19, 2013, 03:32 AM
i know ironic, i literally just said the same bs as you.

there is some sort of V-Power hack you can do but iphone also has a backgrounder app
here are the list of browsers that refreshes when you switch to it: Chrome, Dolphin, Boat, Maxthon, AOSP, ICS Browser+, Opera, Firefox.

just a fast google into xda-developers a very well respected android site. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1906740

mind you it's also filled with hacky ways to get it to work, like is aid, ios also has backgrounder.

Hehe. Keep going. Your BS is cracking me up.

Oletros
Mar 19, 2013, 03:43 AM

Wrong

Wrong

Wrong

You can start right here http://developer.android.com/guide/components/fundamentals.html

tatonka
Mar 19, 2013, 04:00 AM

Too bad webapps are inheritly single core processes that will not take advantage of a multi core cpu. Plus, browser, resolution and OS version probably have quite an effect too ..

That said .. benchmark, schmenchmark .. in my experience they do not correlate with real life usability very much.

T.

Dagless
Mar 19, 2013, 04:15 AM
The vitriol here! I guess when Apple is twice as fast it'll be revolutionary and magic.

-iPhone user and regular human being

ijohn.8.80
Mar 19, 2013, 04:18 AM

OMG... Now I get why the MacPro is off the market in the EU, it's the new iPhone 5 update! 16 cores of hardcore processing now in a 25Kg case! :cool:

MasterHowl
Mar 19, 2013, 04:30 AM

Hmmm wiki scrolls great for me...got anything else?

To be honest you're probably haven't tried a recent version of Android. JB is as smooth as butter ;)

Such as?

Fandroids out in force! :D

manhattantom
Mar 19, 2013, 04:48 AM
samsung can be 100% faster; i'll be with my iphone 4 until a good new iphone comes out.

Dontazemebro
Mar 19, 2013, 05:21 AM

Wake up already.

QFT

It's sad that so many people blinded by brand loyalty fail to even recognize this.

Amazing Iceman
Mar 19, 2013, 05:34 AM
The Galaxy S 4 has a quad core CPU in the Snapsdragon 600 and each of it's cores are clocked at 1,9Ghz while the dual core Apple Swift CPU in the A6 are clocked at 1,3Ghz. The A6 is already a really fast chip since it smokes the Tegra 3 and is neck to neck with the quad core 1,4Ghz Exynos 4412.

But is anyone here really surprised? It's like comparing a 1,7Ghz dual core i5 to a 3,4Ghz quad core i7.

I say: let's wait for a quad core Apple Swift2 and then we'll talk.

The higher the speed, the more power it consumes and the warmer it gets. Now multiply that by 4: Fire Pockets! :D

----------

QFT

It's sad that so many people blinded by brand loyalty fail to even recognize this.

I want my phone to answer as soon as I press the Answer button, and to dial as soon as I press Dial. If it can't to that, I don't want it, regardless of all the extra features it may have.

STS-101
Mar 19, 2013, 06:02 AM

WOW!

Yes and if you read the article you'll also see that Samsung's phone from last year was also quicker than Apple's newer iteration.

apolloa
Mar 19, 2013, 06:20 AM
This is pretty funny as I have seen other write ups stating the HTC one is faster then the S4 haha. But anyway nothing the S4 does will be 'twice' as fast as the iPhone 5 and the iPhone is the better design and more usable and fits in your pocket and doesn't need useless gimmicks to sell! Sorry but I would advise anyone to buy the HTC or the new Xperia over some plastic crappy S4 everyday, even the Nexus 4 is better IMO.

It,s all about software optimisation baby and to be honest Android does a decent job these days but not as good as iOS hence the reason in everyday use an iPhone will show no difference what so ever compared to an S4. But that's when you install a custom ROM and remove the bloat ware and then you'll see a Nexus 7 more then keep up with an iPad 4.

Anyway its foolish to go by benchmarks I think.

MacRumorUser
Mar 19, 2013, 06:33 AM
The vitriol here! I guess when Apple is twice as fast it'll be revolutionary and magic.

-iPhone user and regular human being

You should see what it's like in the Alternatives to iOS forum section in general bud. Scary :o

ArcaneDevice
Mar 19, 2013, 06:46 AM
If they make more powerful phones, then the software will be more powerful in the future. If you don't make more powerful phones TODAY, you will forever have only Angry Birds style apps on your phone. First you build a powerful phone and then the developers will create powerful software for you powerful phone!

And in the future the majority will still only be using a phone for Angry Birds XLHDiRes, text messages and looking at Facebook and Twitter.

I find all these performance comparisons fairly arbitrary. The majority of people barely notice that their device is performing better or worse than any other. I don't know a single person who bases their phone choice on the performance of the processor.

DeathChill
Mar 19, 2013, 06:51 AM
Edit