PDA

View Full Version : 5.5 Hour Battery!

jcrewleif
Oct 19, 2005, 12:39 PM
delete

nospleen
Oct 19, 2005, 12:42 PM
Yeah right, I bet they really last 3.5-4. They always waaaay over exaggerate.

Bear
Oct 19, 2005, 01:00 PM
Or they found a way to reduce power consumption in the new PowwerBooks and it's just the same battery as before.

bousozoku
Oct 19, 2005, 01:07 PM
Or they found a way to reduce power consumption in the new PowwerBooks and it's just the same battery as before.

That's the most likely thing with the new displays but it's probably a combination of the new displays plus a slightly better battery like the 3rd parties sell.

rosalindavenue
Oct 19, 2005, 01:12 PM
Who is the most reputable third party battery sales place? I'm thinking about getting one for my ibook; I'd love to get one with 5 hour capacity.

bigandy
Oct 19, 2005, 01:13 PM
i want one that'll last 5.5 true hours with the amount of motion 2 / final cut 5 / dvd studio 4 work i do on mine...

:)

Mechcozmo
Oct 19, 2005, 01:29 PM
I get 5:30 out of my PowerBook, Rev. C, 1 year old, 12".

Apple may be screwing us 12" PowerBook owners over, but we still get the best battery life! HAHA!

toughboy
Oct 19, 2005, 01:31 PM
i want one that'll last 5.5 true hours with the amount of motion 2 / final cut 5 / dvd studio 4 work i do on mine...

:)

And I want to apparate from Istanbul to New York in a second. And I want birds to sing BonJovi, and cats Guns N' Roses. :D

livingfortoday
Oct 19, 2005, 01:41 PM
Who is the most reputable third party battery sales place? I'm thinking about getting one for my ibook; I'd love to get one with 5 hour capacity.

I got one of the NuPower ones they sell over at OWC for my TiPb, and it's awesome. Highly recommended.

Billicus
Oct 19, 2005, 02:33 PM
Will the new battery fit/work in the previous 1.67 model powerbook? If so thats the coolest announcement apple made today. The new PB's dont even have better graphics cards, blah.

I was wondering the same thing... will the new batteries work in older PowerBooks? My 1.33 Ghz PowerBook 17" battery is kind of dwindling in length of unplugged activity.

yellow
Oct 19, 2005, 02:38 PM
And I want birds to sing BonJovi, and cats Guns N' Roses.

That would be a horrible, horrible world to live in, IMO. <shudder>

solvs
Oct 19, 2005, 03:07 PM
I've seen third party batteries that last for hours, some ~16-24, But they're HUGE. And expensive. I can't remember what they were called though.

yellow
Oct 19, 2005, 03:26 PM
I've seen third party batteries that last for hours, some ~16-24, But they're HUGE. And expensive. I can't remember what they were called though.

An automobile battery? :)

QCassidy352
Oct 19, 2005, 03:31 PM
well, they list the ibook batteries at 6 hours, and I find that a little over 4 hours is a reasonable real world number on my 1.33 Ghz 12". Varies a ton depending on useage of course, but I think with really low power comsumption options it could go to over 5 hours and with everything blasting probably 3.

So if they list these new batteries at 5.5, figure that you'll get maybe a half hour less - 3.5 + normally, 2.5 on high settings, over 4.5 with power saving options. Very rough estimates, clearly.

Aliquis
Oct 19, 2005, 03:44 PM
I still don't understand why with the technology we have, that batteries aren't lasting longer. I'm wondering if it is just a cost/bidding issue.

bousozoku
Oct 19, 2005, 04:08 PM
I still don't understand why with the technology we have, that batteries aren't lasting longer. I'm wondering if it is just a cost/bidding issue.

Perhaps, in part, it is. However, there are many factors. Hard drive speeds have increased and processor clock speeds have also increased. There are more efficient parts than in past years but still there is cost in going faster. A more capacious drive with more platters will have more initial inertia and require more power to get it to speed and this is exacerbated by high rotational speeds like 7200 rpm.

g0gie
Oct 19, 2005, 04:11 PM
On the apple TECH specs in the support section, the document shows the following :

maximum life (15 - 17'' models) - 5.5 hours
wireless use (15 - 17'' models) - 3.2 hours
dvd playing (15 - 17'' models) - 2.5 hours

AJ Muni
Oct 19, 2005, 04:51 PM
I get 5:30 out of my PowerBook, Rev. C, 1 year old, 12".

Apple may be screwing us 12" PowerBook owners over, but we still get the best battery life! HAHA!

do you have airport turned on?? bluetooth on??? brightness on??? processor at minimnum??...im shocked about that...i get about 3:30 with airport on, BT off, and brightness around 70 %....

Makosuke
Oct 19, 2005, 05:13 PM
I still don't understand why with the technology we have, that batteries aren't lasting longer. I'm wondering if it is just a cost/bidding issue.Battery technology has increased drastically, but most of that (not all--remember that a lot of early laptops had awful battery life) is chewed up by drastically faster components that generally draw more power.

I'm willing to bet that if you put a crummy-looking low-power LCD, really slow processor, 1.8" iPod-style hard drive, low-speed optical drive, and any other power-over-speed components into a laptop with a modern battery, it'd last two or three times as long as this, but of course it'd be comparitively dog-slow, so most people wouldn't want it. There are Windows laptops that do this sort of thing (using much slower, super-low-power chips by smaller companies), but they're usually ultrathins so the benefit is more size than battery life.

Also, for what it's worth, the batteries Apple ships with their laptops are usually pretty close to the top end of the power density curve, though they're often not after the line has been around for a while. Battery capacity doesn't increase all that fast, though--the technologies currently used are pretty mature.

solvs
Oct 19, 2005, 06:10 PM
An automobile battery? :)
:p

No, but they were pretty big.

Mechcozmo
Oct 19, 2005, 07:05 PM
do you have airport turned on?? bluetooth on??? brightness on??? processor at minimnum??...im shocked about that...i get about 3:30 with airport on, BT off, and brightness around 70 %....

5:30 with AP off, BT off, screen at minimum plus blacking it out when not in use (biggest battery saver, blacking the screen)
4:30 with AP on, BT off, screen at 1/3 to 2/3
4:00 when playing a game
3:45 with AP on, screen at 3/4, and a game
3:30 with AP on, BT on, screen at near-max

The screen takes up more power than you can believe. Black it out when you aren't using it to save on power.

Mechcozmo
Oct 19, 2005, 07:07 PM
There are Windows laptops that do this sort of thing (using much slower, super-low-power chips by smaller companies), but they're usually ultrathins so the benefit is more size than battery life.

I saw an ultrathin advertising at Fry's for 1.12" thick. Impressive next to a 1.8" thick something-or-other, but compared to PowerBooks... not really. (Had a battery life that was about 3:00... and you know that's on a really good day...)

bousozoku
Oct 19, 2005, 07:39 PM
I saw an ultrathin advertising at Fry's for 1.12" thick. Impressive next to a 1.8" thick something-or-other, but compared to PowerBooks... not really. (Had a battery life that was about 3:00... and you know that's on a really good day...)

The 1.5 GHz Pentium-M machines are pretty impressive for the combination of power and weight and battery life. They're still thick and poorly designed as well but the Windows thing is the only thing that killed the deal for me.

Mechcozmo
Oct 19, 2005, 07:45 PM
The 1.5 GHz Pentium-M machines are pretty impressive for the combination of power and weight and battery life. They're still thick and poorly designed as well but the Windows thing is the only thing that killed the deal for me.

I agree, and hope we see some Pentium-M based PowerBooks/iBooks. Or a processor derived from the Pentium-M.

Aliquis
Oct 20, 2005, 07:52 PM
Battery technology has increased drastically, but most of that (not all--remember that a lot of early laptops had awful battery life) is chewed up by drastically faster components that generally draw more power.

I'm willing to bet that if you put a crummy-looking low-power LCD, really slow processor, 1.8" iPod-style hard drive, low-speed optical drive, and any other power-over-speed components into a laptop with a modern battery, it'd last two or three times as long as this, but of course it'd be comparitively dog-slow, so most people wouldn't want it. There are Windows laptops that do this sort of thing (using much slower, super-low-power chips by smaller companies), but they're usually ultrathins so the benefit is more size than battery life.

Also, for what it's worth, the batteries Apple ships with their laptops are usually pretty close to the top end of the power density curve, though they're often not after the line has been around for a while. Battery capacity doesn't increase all that fast, though--the technologies currently used are pretty mature.

That's true. If the new NAND technology takes off in the future, that will help battery life as well.

Does anyone know how the new Powerbooks with better screens, but "lower power useage" actually fare in realworld testing?

Aliquis
Nov 21, 2005, 03:08 AM
And Pentium is rumored to have a dual core M chip around Jan. (No this is not hype from the dual core Towers Apple released) The news was being circulated before the towers were even announced, which could be very cool for Apple. Potential applications would be not just a G5 type or equiv chip in the powerbook line, but a dual pentium M chip in those powerbooks. Now that will be friggin' amazing if it happens.

2006 is going to be an awesome year for Apple.

Will Cheyney
Nov 21, 2005, 03:37 AM
When I first got my TiBook (with OS 9) in 2000/2001 the battery did last the stated 5 hours. As soon as OS X was released though, the battery life dropped to about 3... Haha. Now the battery is old and lasts for no longer than 2 hours if I'm lucky :(

My girlfriends iBook battery however is brilliant! She frequently gets ~5 hours usage when out and about.

dblissmn
Nov 21, 2005, 02:32 PM
There's nothing new about the battery in the latest 15 and 17 inch books. What's new is the power management. The processor clocks down to divide-by-four if your workload is light enough -- i.e., not only do you get 833MHz (divide-by-two) but also 417MHz. This is all done automatically. I suspect the DDR2 memory is probably a bit lower in voltage as well.

UPDATE -- yes, it turns out there is something new about the battery in the 15 inch model only. The calibration procedure in the manual is very different. No change though on the 17 inch.

dubbz
Nov 21, 2005, 02:39 PM

The ThinkPad Z60m (9-cell version), powered by a 2GHz P-M, runs for ~7h.

That's pretty impressive, IMO. Plus you can remove the optical drive and put a battery in there instead, adding another hour or so.

bigandy
Nov 21, 2005, 03:45 PM
And I want to apparate from Istanbul to New York in a second. And I want birds to sing BonJovi, and cats Guns N' Roses. :D

aah, yes, birds singing bon jovi. yet another reason to take your shotgun and go hunting.. :rolleyes:

poolin1243
Nov 21, 2005, 06:08 PM
darn...i wish there was a higher capacity battery available for my pb 1.5ghz...having to lug around 2 batts is not cool all the time...

Jay42
Nov 21, 2005, 06:23 PM
5:30 with AP off, BT off, screen at minimum plus blacking it out when not in use (biggest battery saver, blacking the screen)
4:30 with AP on, BT off, screen at 1/3 to 2/3
4:00 when playing a game
3:45 with AP on, screen at 3/4, and a game
3:30 with AP on, BT on, screen at near-max

Are those real world times? Sometimes I think even the menu bar exaggerates estimated battery time.

Mechcozmo
Nov 21, 2005, 06:40 PM
Are those real world times? Sometimes I think even the menu bar exaggerates estimated battery time.

The menu bar is based on current power usage. It has always been accurate for me down to 0% (auto-sleep). So if you go from no AP/BT and only Word to AP and BT and FCP 5 doing a complex render at max. power usage, it will drop the menu bar quickly.

I calibrate my battery every 3 months, too. That helps a bit.

But sometimes upon waking from sleep I get 242:38 displayed in the bar, depending on current charge that number may change.:confused:

Wombert
Nov 22, 2005, 01:12 PM
I believe the battery is the same as the old one... still 50Wh, right?