Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Hi all,

First the facts:

1. I'm thinking about switching from my iPhone to an Android phone, possibly the Galaxy S4.

2. My family and I were on an out of town trip this weekend and I lost my iPhone (first time that's ever happened). Luckily we were able to use my wife's iPhone and her "Find My iPhone" app to find my phone.

Now the question:

If I switch to an Android phone and I happen to lose it while we're out of town, would I be able to locate it using my wife's iPhone?

Likewise, if my wife loses her iPhone while we're out of town, will I be able to use my Android phone to locate her iPhone?

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
1. Maybe, you can find iPhone's from a desktop browser by logging into your icloud account. So as long as the Android browser can be told to load the desktop page and load the HTML5 maps... It should be able to find an iPhone. But it'll be a bit cumbersome at best.

2. If you have Latitude active and running, you should be able to. App on iPhone. Lookout may also offer a product.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Cerberus has a web based interface that works fine on the iPad and okay on the iphone.

You can use it on up to 5 Android devices from the same purchase which is nice and any devices you no-longer own can be removed from the pool of devices.

App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lsdroid.cerberus&hl=en
Site: https://www.cerberusapp.com/

Click for full size.
iPad:
img0005.png

iPhone: (for some reason you can't zoom out on the site on the iPhone)
img0027.png

These are all of the functions on offer from the web interface (some require root access).
img0006.png
img0008.png

Cerberus is one of my Android essential apps. Never had to use it thankfully but it's good to know it's installed.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
If your going for the S4, all Samsung phones come with "SamsungDive" built in - basically phone tracking software.

When lost, simply visit http://www.SamsungDive.com - log in and you can track your phone.
This actually looks pretty good. Looks like I'll be able to find an S4 by using my wife's iPhone. Thanks! Now assuming I can find my wife's iPhone (by accessing the iCloud site from the S4) I should be good to go. I don't have an Android devise to test it, though.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
1. Maybe, you can find iPhone's from a desktop browser by logging into your icloud account. So as long as the Android browser can be told to load the desktop page and load the HTML5 maps... It should be able to find an iPhone. But it'll be a bit cumbersome at best.

2. If you have Latitude active and running, you should be able to. App on iPhone. Lookout may also offer a product.

I've never had any luck getting icloud to load up on any android browser, I'd love it if someone has made it work.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I've never had any luck getting icloud to load up on any android browser, I'd love it if someone has made it work.

That's the issue - you can find the Android phone from an iPhone but not vice versa. I've never been able to get iCloud.com loaded up on an Android phone, either, even with various browser ID string hacks and such.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
That's the issue - you can find the Android phone from an iPhone but not vice versa. I've never been able to get iCloud.com loaded up on an Android phone, either, even with various browser ID string hacks and such.
Yikes. That's not good.

I'll tell ya, I really wish Apple would release a larger/wider iPhone -- TODAY.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Wouldn't you assume if someone stole your phone, they would be smart enough to wipe the phone rendering these things useless?

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Wouldn't you assume if someone stole your phone, they would be smart enough to wipe the phone rendering these things useless?
In my case the phone slipped out of my pocket (I'm guessing) and I simply needed to locate it. We were in a very large / very public / very noisy place, so calling my phone would have done no good. I needed the "FindMyiPhone" feature to show me on a map where the phone was.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
In my case the phone slipped out of my pocket (I'm guessing) and I simply needed to locate it. We were in a very large / very public / very noisy place, so calling my phone would have done no good. I needed the "FindMyiPhone" feature to show me on a map where the phone was.

gotcha, that makes sense then.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

It loads up using Firefox Beta using desktop mode, but is extremely buggy. I actually got it to find my iPad even though it was super slow to maneuver.

Attachments

• 2013-03-20 11.34.38.png
    2013-03-20 11.34.38.png
    911.4 KB · Views: 633

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It loads up using Firefox Beta using desktop mode, but is extremely buggy. I actually got it to find my iPad even though it was super slow to maneuver.

Cool. Thanks for the tip. The first version of FF didn't work, but I haven't tried it in a long time. I only need the Find My iPhone to work...

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

I'm not having any success. I can get to the main page like in your screenshot, but FMiP will not open and I can't scroll/pan around on the main page at all.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I'm not having any success. I can get to the main page like in your screenshot, but FMiP will not open and I can't scroll/pan around on the main page at all.

Works on my Note 2 using Dolphin Browser with the Desktop Toggle add-on.

attachment.php

Michael

Attachments

• 2013-03-20-09-30-10.png
    2013-03-20-09-30-10.png
    1 MB · Views: 39,918

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Like I said, it's slow and buggy. Took me multiple refreshes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.