PDA

View Full Version : WhatsApp for iPhone Moving to Subscription Model Later This Year

MacRumors
Mar 19, 2013, 07:47 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/19/whatsapp-for-iphone-moving-to-subscription-model-later-this-year/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/whatsapp.jpgTechCrunch reports (http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/17/messaging-service-whatsapp-to-extend-subscription-model-to-ios-this-year-but-dont-hold-your-breath-for-a-desktop-app/) that WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum has revealed in an interview with Dutch journalist Alexander Klopping that WhatsApp Messenger for iPhone will be moving to a subscription model by the end of the year.
The new subscription model would apply to new users, Koum said, and would likely follow the same pricing structure as its other apps, which are free for the first year and then cost $1/year, compared to the single, for-life $0.99 purchase that users make on iOS today. "We're relaxed on dates, but definitely this year. It's on the road map," Koum said.When asked why the company was making the change, Koum responded that they wanted "to keep things simple," probably referring to wanting to have a standard pricing model across all platforms.

WhatsApp is an immensely popular cross-platform messaging app that sees 17 billion messages sent daily, which is over eight times as many as Apple's 2 billion messages (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/24/massive-growth-in-apples-cloud-based-services-eclipsed-by-debate-on-financials/) sent daily on iMessage.

As of right now, WhatsApp for iPhone is still available for $0.99 (http://www.appshopper.com/social-networking/whatsapp) on the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/whatsapp-messenger/id310633997?mt=8#)]

Article Link: WhatsApp for iPhone Moving to Subscription Model Later This Year (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/19/whatsapp-for-iphone-moving-to-subscription-model-later-this-year/)

SmoMo
Mar 19, 2013, 07:50 AM
7x2=14
14 < 17

levitynyc
Mar 19, 2013, 07:51 AM
RIP WhatsAPP.

evil89
Mar 19, 2013, 07:51 AM
Waiting for the first moron with an iPhone that cannot afford to spend .79$/y on such a great app.

Tankmaze
Mar 19, 2013, 07:53 AM
"To keep things simple" yeah right, the most simple things are : people pay 1 dollar and thats it, not a subscription based.

j_maddison
Mar 19, 2013, 07:53 AM
Waiting for the first moron with an iPhone that cannot afford to spend .79$/y on such a great app.

You didn't have to wait long, look at the post above yours :D

tann
Mar 19, 2013, 07:54 AM
17 billion daily is crazy!! I never realised just how high that number is :eek:

Andy-V
Mar 19, 2013, 07:54 AM
Completely fair.

jace88
Mar 19, 2013, 07:56 AM
It's not so much people who buy iPhones can't afford to pay $1 a year but rather, there's plenty of competing apps which are free and do the same thing. I appreciate Whatsapp not including advertisements and that it's cross platform, but I feel that if it essentially becomes closed to new users due to noone wanting to pay, it'll just become less relevant in the face of competition from FB Messaging, Skype, and the multitude of other free chat-with-friend apps.

I was astonished to see this happen on my BB the other day saying I needed to update but to do so would cost me money. The solution was simple- I uninstalled Whatsapp.

levitynyc
Mar 19, 2013, 07:57 AM

You would be surprised what a 1 dollar paywall will do. Especially when rumors start about WhatsAPP being a subscription

samcraig
Mar 19, 2013, 08:04 AM
Very fair. The app has been out for awhile and has constant updates. The app was originally free - then they charged .99

On Android - first year is free and then .99 a year already.

It's a far more reliable service than iMessage (my experience) and I love not caring whether or not the person on the other end has the same phone as I do.

I am MORE than happy to support these developers. And .99 a year? Ridiculously cheap.

RIP WhatsApp? Hardly. People love it.

cmChimera
Mar 19, 2013, 08:10 AM
I'll just use iMessage.

Oui
Mar 19, 2013, 08:19 AM
I'll just use iMessage.

Same here. WhatsApp is irrelevant.(to me)

samcraig
Mar 19, 2013, 08:20 AM
Same here. WhatsApp is irrelevant.

Just curious. All your friends and family have an iPhone? Or do you already pay for unlimited messaging on your carrier?

For me - paying .99 a year vs $20 for unlimited text messages a month is a no brainer.

Zunjine
Mar 19, 2013, 08:22 AM
I'm more than happy to pay a tiny yearly fee to use a service like Whatsapp. Anyone who'd choose a "free" service over a service provided at a low price which offers excellent value clearly hasn't learned a thing about what a "free" service really is. Just ask Google Reader users.

MacDawg
Mar 19, 2013, 08:24 AM
I installed it and checked my 837 contacts
Nobody I know is using this now, much less when it goes subscription

I know it is very popular among others, but it doesn't help me at all

nottooshabby
Mar 19, 2013, 08:25 AM
For me the biggest advantage of Whats app over iMessage is the ability to send a message with a map of your location. Instead of having to type "I'm at the corner of 5th and lincoln" to the question, where are you, in three touches you can send a map of your location. It used to be better when it was only two touches, but oh well.

iPusch
Mar 19, 2013, 08:26 AM
Wait! I don't get it...
I can keep on using Whatsapp for free because I bought it for 0.99$ :confused:
Will they take the 0.99$ app off store & launch a new "free" one including the subscription thingy?

The article is a lil confusing :-//

OutSpoken
Mar 19, 2013, 08:30 AM
To be honest, I would prefer for them to just include banner ads if they need to generate revenue... I know many people won't like that, but ads in certain apps don't bother me.

I do think the $1 subscription will have a significant impact, and as more and more of my friends and family use iPhones I guess that we'll just end up using iMessage after all.

Lets put it in perspective, most people migrated to apps like Whatsapp due to the high cost of sending sms messages, i.e. overseas, and saw instant messaging apps as cost saving free alternatives. But nowadays sms services are bundle on for free with most carriers offering unlimited usage.

sagar4995
Mar 19, 2013, 08:32 AM
"To keep things simple" yeah right, the most simple things are : people pay 1 dollar and thats it, not a subscription based.

+1. lolll.. i was thinking the exact same thing when i read the article.

WhatsApp is irrelevant.

-1. disagree. its EXTREMELY relevant and 1 of the most important apps on my phone, to communicate with non-iphone users.

mappyman
Mar 19, 2013, 08:33 AM
I already use an alternative: naver's LINE

youknome
Mar 19, 2013, 08:38 AM
To be honest, I would prefer for them to just include banner ads if they need to generate revenue... I know many people won't like that, but ads in certain apps don't bother me.

I do think the $1 subscription will have a significant impact, and as more and more of my friends and family use iPhones I guess that we'll just end up using iMessage after all.

Lets put it in perspective, most people migrated to apps like Whatsapp due to the high cost of sending sms messages, i.e. overseas, and saw instant messaging apps as cost saving free alternatives. But nowadays sms services are bundle on for free with most carriers offering unlimited usage.

Banner ads? I hope not, they're the bane of my life. I paid 59p for this app couple years ago, as a result of Whatsapp I hardly use my unlimited text allowance, it's amazing. Besides Whatsapp is always free around Christmas time.

ds2000
Mar 19, 2013, 08:44 AM
A whole $1 a year for this simply superb cross-platform app.... no brainer for me :)

berehon
Mar 19, 2013, 08:44 AM
Viber is free alternative. Also Viber has voice calls.

samcraig
Mar 19, 2013, 08:46 AM
LOL - and some people on this forum insist Android users are cheap.

needfx
Mar 19, 2013, 08:48 AM
I had whatsapp but I uninstalled it on occasion of having to worry over one more social exposure tool

Baklava
Mar 19, 2013, 08:49 AM
NO!!! Now I will feel the same pain like Android users!

JGIGS
Mar 19, 2013, 08:51 AM
Honestly I stoped using What's app a while back. I, like most, have had unlimited sms messages for a long time now so its no big woop.

I use the my sms app so I can also type and send messages on my computer because that still a lot easier then typing on a smart phone. Plus I can set sms sounds per person easily on my smart phone so I know who is messaging me.

If someone is long distance I'll use FB messaging, iMessage or good ole email.

Good bye What's app.

MacMan86
Mar 19, 2013, 09:12 AM
Some of you guys crack me up. Did you read the bit about them handling 17 billion messages PER DAY?!

You try running an infrastructure capable of handling 17 billion messages a day on nothing but goodwill. I've had whatsapp for a few years now and it says I've sent/received 100,000 messages. All for the total cost of $1.

Such poor value for money... /s

starzplacez
Mar 19, 2013, 09:13 AM
LINE user here.. free, have voice calls, group chats, desktop version, and entertaining emoticons helps too!

WoodNUFC
Mar 19, 2013, 09:21 AM
Even if it was priced at $5/year this would be a steal for my wife and I. We use it to message our family in South Africa. It's much cheaper to pay for WhatsAPP than it is to pay international texting fees.

OutSpoken
Mar 19, 2013, 09:24 AM
I dont think its a simple case of people being cheap.

It could be that people may feel that they've been mis sold.

It seems like all those hoax messages that goes around from time to time warning us that Whatsapp would be going paid unless you forward on to all the contacts in your address book were true:D

Reading the article, I'm still unsure, but it appears new customers will have to sign up to the new model but existing customers will still get the service for free?

itsamacthing
Mar 19, 2013, 09:25 AM
Use LINE , its better anyway and they have a desktop version so you can chat from your phone, desktop, etc.

j4zb4
Mar 19, 2013, 09:28 AM
No one around me has never paid... Somehow the payment deadline always automatically extends itself... I wonder why... Or is it charged to the phone bill...?

And how can there be 10 billion outgoing and 7 incoming...? Where do the 3 billion sent messages go...? Also when you message to a group there's one outgoing message and several incoming messages... So shouldn't the incomings be more...? Counting fail...?

CalMin
Mar 19, 2013, 09:29 AM
I will gladly pay the fee, but there are some in my contacts who will not. Ultimately that will make the app less useful to me.

What is off-putting is this idea of a recurring fee. It's $1/year now, but it could go to $2/year or higher anytime they choose. That line of thinking will push people to other platforms. I think FB is the biggest threat - it's already cross platform and arguably better because you can use it on a PC or Mac.

OutSpoken
Mar 19, 2013, 09:34 AM
Bottom line is, I'm not going to pay for subscription IM, when I can text for free using my pay monthly plan and unlimited sms ad on.

reden
Mar 19, 2013, 09:42 AM
Just curious. All your friends and family have an iPhone? Or do you already pay for unlimited messaging on your carrier?

For me - paying .99 a year vs $20 for unlimited text messages a month is a no brainer.

Not to mention, family and friends in other countries.

samcraig
Mar 19, 2013, 09:51 AM
I will gladly pay the fee, but there are some in my contacts who will not. Ultimately that will make the app less useful to me.

What is off-putting is this idea of a recurring fee. It's $1/year now, but it could go to $2/year or higher anytime they choose. That line of thinking will push people to other platforms. I think FB is the biggest threat - it's already cross platform and arguably better because you can use it on a PC or Mac.

It could go to $5. Your carrier's texting plan could double. WhatsApp could shut down. The world could end. Lots of possibilities. I worry less about what might happen and instead focus on what is actually happening :)

j4zb4
Mar 19, 2013, 09:53 AM

Fb messenger isn't very convenient... Especially when it comes to groups and videos... And this is easier because it uses my phone contacts... Not everyone I what's app I add on fb... Especially clients and suppliers... And if someone's on what's app they are automatically on the list so saves a lot of searching...

And what's app has become a household word now... Like on fb most of the smartphone using crowd is on what's app...

Also $1 a year isnt really a big deal...

cmChimera
Mar 19, 2013, 09:56 AM

Most of my friends and family have iPhones. My dad doesn't, but that will be remedied shortly.

Markyboy81
Mar 19, 2013, 09:58 AM
WhatsApp is far better and more reliable than iMessage and much better at compressing images, using far less data which is perfect for roaming.
People make me laugh when they'll happily pay 500 for an iPhone but are too tight to pay 1 a year for a fantastic app

Blakjack
Mar 19, 2013, 10:08 AM
This is amazing to me cause I know not one of my friends that actually uses WhatsApp.

JBaker122586
Mar 19, 2013, 10:29 AM
I can't say I know of a single person that has What'sApp.

Plus, in my recent text messages... Out of my 25 most recent conversations, exactly ONE of them is not iMessage.

You people just need to get more friends with iPhones.;)

bollyboy
Mar 19, 2013, 10:35 AM
A great app, i wish they added a pin based used ID also as an option when not wanting to give your tel No to stalkers :)

Markyboy81
Mar 19, 2013, 10:38 AM
I can't say I know of a single person that has What'sApp.

Plus, in my recent text messages... Out of my 25 most recent conversations, exactly ONE of them is not iMessage.

You people just need to get more friends with iPhones.;)

But what about when everyone gets fed up and bored of iphones and moves to other platforms? :D

unlimitedx
Mar 19, 2013, 10:57 AM
No one around me has never paid... Somehow the payment deadline always automatically extends itself... I wonder why... Or is it charged to the phone bill...?

And how can there be 10 billion outgoing and 7 incoming...? Where do the 3 billion sent messages go...? Also when you message to a group there's one outgoing message and several incoming messages... So shouldn't the incomings be more...? Counting fail...?

But in group chat outgoing from one phone is also shown on all other phones in the chat

AznTakumi
Mar 19, 2013, 11:11 AM
Does what's app not realize there are many other competitors people are going to switch to?

samcraig
Mar 19, 2013, 11:16 AM
Does what's app not realize there are many other competitors people are going to switch to?

Really? Then I need to make sure all my friends and family do too.

Besides - those free options have existed and yet WhatsApp charges .99 to buy their app. If people weren't going to use it - they'd use something else already.

The logic doesn't compute. I'll stay with whatsapp because I like the software, I like the features and everyone I communicate with regularly has it. And at .99 for a year - far cheaper than paying for unlimited texting. I don't need to justify it to myself.

Menel
Mar 19, 2013, 11:25 AM
iMessage + Google Talk.

Done.

Put a fork in SMS and WhatsApp.

CarlosQG
Mar 19, 2013, 12:01 PM
Relax, the subscription applies for the new users who get WhatsApp after those plans go live.

Also, $.99 ($13 MXN) for annually unlimited messaging, audio notes, image & video sending, sharing locations and contacts between virtually ANY smartphone is a no brainier.

Oh, and you payed around $700 for your phone but cry for $.99 annually? Gee... Bluffers.

j4zb4
Mar 19, 2013, 12:02 PM
But in group chat outgoing from one phone is also shown on all other phones in the chat

Precisely what I am saying... It shows as 1 outgoing (my phone) and if there are 10 people in the group each of them will have an incoming message... So 9 incoming messages...

bushido
Mar 19, 2013, 12:04 PM
i wish there was a mac version. its so annoying to reply to friend on your phone while u are actually on your laptop anyway

Precisely what I am saying... It shows as 1 outgoing (my phone) and if there are 10 people in the group each of them will have an incoming message... So 9 incoming messages...

isnt it send to the "group" itself and people who join just happen to see whats written? so its technically just one

RoboCop001
Mar 19, 2013, 12:23 PM
Same here. WhatsApp is irrelevant.

No it's not. Not everyone has an iPhone.

chrisblaze
Mar 19, 2013, 12:27 PM
I'll just use iMessage.

iMessage is good if all your friends have iPhones. But when you have international friends, a lot of them have BB, and Andriod phones but its free texting to international numbers. Oh and when iMessage fails and sends and international text.. it will be more than a dollar.

MacRumorUser
Mar 19, 2013, 12:51 PM

837 contacts..... hot damn McDawg your little black book is positively bulging at the seams ;)

cmChimera
Mar 19, 2013, 01:38 PM
iMessage is good if all your friends have iPhones. But when you have international friends, a lot of them have BB, and Andriod phones but its free texting to international numbers. Oh and when iMessage fails and sends and international text.. it will be more than a dollar.

Friends don't let friends own Blackberry.

Am3r1ca16
Mar 19, 2013, 02:18 PM
well considering i only use this to talk with one of my friends outside the US. i'll go and use facebook chat and its free.

BvizioN
Mar 19, 2013, 02:20 PM
I'll just use iMessage.

And to talk to your android user friends?

Xano
Mar 19, 2013, 02:25 PM
so many free alternatives out there!

MessageMe is growing very fast, much better then Viber and WhatsApp.

If they go for a subscription Model: RIP WhatsApp

whoknows87
Mar 19, 2013, 02:51 PM
Great App I would pay more than $1/ year if given the opportunity to do so
People expect everything for free.. so what if they decided to charge a lousy $1 a year.... I'll use iMessage :D sure every single person you know has an iPhone ...NOT

canadianpj
Mar 19, 2013, 03:05 PM
This is perfectly reasonable. I think we're going to see more apps start to do this as the "one fee forever" method is not going to work long term. For all the use I get out of the app $1 seems very trivial.

iMessage is less of an attractive option if you are messaging people who are not on iOS.

noiceT
Mar 19, 2013, 04:54 PM
Strange move.. subscription on anything (be it only $1) is a big influence on whether the majority of people will use the app. No one likes to "feel" locked into something even if its for $1.

B4U
Mar 19, 2013, 04:57 PM
So if I have paid for the app already. Is it bait and switch?

ItsWelshy
Mar 19, 2013, 05:06 PM

This either says something about your 837 friends, or someone is telling porkies.

petrucci666
Mar 19, 2013, 05:14 PM
Very simple - you use a service, you pay for it. $1 won't kill anyone, especially for something so useful.

MacDawg
Mar 19, 2013, 08:35 PM
This either says something about your 837 friends, or someone is telling porkies.

Exactly what would this say about them?

To be technical, I said "contacts", not "friends"
Many of them are business contacts mixed in with friends, family, etc.
And apparently none of them feel the need for this app, and neither did I

I communicate mainly with my wife and kids through texting, and we all use iMessage

dammyonline
Mar 20, 2013, 01:09 AM
.99 isnt a lot to pay yearly for whatsapp but its more the principle behind it. I initially bought the app as it offered me a lot of amazing features for a one off fee. Having to then be expected to pay a yearly subscription is somehow a breach of the original contract.

Anyhow having read further, it seems the subscription model only appllies to new users
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/18/4121940/whatsapp-for-ios-moving-to-subscription-model-this-year

Regarding those that say its only a pound/dollar, think about it, what if all apps then decide at some point to go the subscription route, will you still think its only .99p when been charged yearly for 99+ apps?

yoak
Mar 20, 2013, 01:21 AM
How can any one cry out over 1 dollar?
If you use it and is happy, pay up. If you hardly use it, then just delet it.
I hardly use it, but my wife and her friends use it all the time As they live in different countries

Markyboy81
Mar 20, 2013, 02:42 AM
.99 isnt a lot to pay yearly for whatsapp but its more the principle behind it. I initially bought the app as it offered me a lot of amazing features for a one off fee. Having to then be expected to pay a yearly subscription is somehow a breach of the original contract.

Anyhow having read further, it seems the subscription model only appllies to new users
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/18/4121940/whatsapp-for-ios-moving-to-subscription-model-this-year

Regarding those that say its only a pound/dollar, think about it, what if all apps then decide at some point to go the subscription route, will you still think its only .99p when been charged yearly for 99+ apps?

I'm sorry but your post doesn't really make sense. At first you're complaining that somehow the original contract was breached, then you accept that this only applies for new users, so it's not going to affect your contract anyway.
Even if they did start making it a subscription only service for everyone you could always opt out. It's really not a big deal

decafjava
Mar 20, 2013, 04:11 AM
So if I have paid for the app already. Is it bait and switch?

Apparently not, just new users.

vamsi.ac
Mar 20, 2013, 04:47 AM
Already moved to Viber.

rak007
Mar 20, 2013, 06:02 AM
I and my wife have iPhones and many a times we cannot use iMessage for reasons totally unknown. But we use whatsapp in such scenarios when we realize iMessage is not working.
Also whatsapp compresses the pictures before sending which saves us from more bandwidth being used.
I stay in a country where EDGE still is used on a very large scale and in such cases sending a pic taken from iPhone 4S without compressing means hell lot of time taken to send and receive since each picture is few MBs.
Whatsapp compresses it to few KBs which makes it easier and faster.

CylonGlitch
Mar 20, 2013, 08:48 AM
I already use an alternative: naver's LINE

Same here, just two things I hate about it.
1) No native iPad app.
2) It is one account per device, thus if you have an iPhone and a iPad, you have to have TWO different accounts. (this seems common)

Positives.
1) Lots of free stickers (helps convey emotion, especially since not everyone in my family speaks the same language).
2) iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Windows, Mac, Blackberry, etc support.
3) Phone calls, group chats, video videos, and more.

Beezzy
Mar 20, 2013, 09:04 AM
Its $1 a year. Not the end of the world. Thats not even $.10 a month.

I still use iMessage, Facebook, & Facetime. for whatever I need. btw everyone has facebook, idk people use anything else to message people in other countries without iPhones with?

Serelus
Mar 20, 2013, 09:09 AM

In the netherlands, this App is so popular, that providers tried to start charging seperate fees for using the data that's used by Whatsapp specifically. The government stepped in and didn't allow them to do so, since it's pretty unfair.

They tried to do the same with Skype, FB messenger, and Spotify. So yeah it really depends on where you are in the world.

RevTEG
Mar 20, 2013, 09:19 AM
Viber is free alternative. Also Viber has voice calls.

I totally agree. I stopped using Whatsapp over a year ago. Viber my go to app now when I travel internationally. Pop in a local sim, pay for local data and call and text my family from anywhere in the world. Viber is awesome.

JGRE
Mar 20, 2013, 10:30 AM
When subscriptions start, I stop.

Vip
Mar 20, 2013, 10:41 AM
The issue is not $1, but the precedent it sets.

If universally accepted, what next, $1 for maps, $1 for facebook, $1 for twitter

see where we are going...

Markyboy81
Mar 20, 2013, 12:30 PM
The issue is not $1, but the precedent it sets.

If universally accepted, what next, $1 for maps, $1 for facebook, $1 for twitter

see where we are going...

No, I don't think it'll set any precedent

roadbloc
Mar 20, 2013, 12:42 PM
Given there are a million free alternatives to this, I'd say they are lucky to be able to sell it for 69p. And in a world where people's contracts come with 5 billion free texts anyway, services like it seem irrelevant unless it is for video chat, someone is out of credit/texts, or for cross-compatibility with PCs.

This can only hurt them.

gto55
Apr 8, 2013, 12:30 AM
Will you stop using WhatsApp if Google buys it ?
Rumor has Google close to buying WhatsApp for $1B

By AppleInsider Staff (news@appleinsider.com)
Google is said to be well into negotiations with the team behind WhatsApp, with the search giant reportedly considering a $1 billion price tag for the popular cross-platform messaging app.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/04/07/rumor-has-google-close-to-buying-whatsapp-for-1b

paulcdb
Apr 8, 2013, 03:41 AM
if they do, it'll be shutdown after a year when they get bored of it :p

Daniel B
Apr 8, 2013, 04:21 PM
Hi,

That kind of subscription model is not allowed according to the to the App Store Review Guidelines:

11.9 Apps containing "rental" content or services that expire after a limited time will be rejected

Daniel

Menel
Apr 8, 2013, 07:26 PM
Hi,

That kind of subscription model is not allowed according to the to the App Store Review Guidelines:

11.9 Apps containing "rental" content or services that expire after a limited time will be rejected

Daniel

Talkatone works that way...

hexonxonx
Apr 8, 2013, 10:30 PM
I don't know anyone who actually uses this. Everyone I know uses their phones stock texting app.

I did download it on my Nexus 4 simply because it's free and free to use for a year though I don't know anyone to use it with.

I would DL it for my iPhones but as I said above, no one to use it with so why spend the $.99?

splinetol
May 4, 2013, 12:50 AM
if i have an iphone, i rather just use fb msging to msg now...wat is watsapp thinking????:confused:

neil1980
May 5, 2013, 01:51 PM
I can see this becoming a standard business model at some point.

Free app to build up your user base then after a few years charge a dollar per person per year. People will pay it as lets face it a dollar a year is nothing and hey presto you have a multi million dollar business.

Personally I don't use whatsapp a lot (a couple of contacts use it but thats it) and it doesn't save me any money as I have unlimited SMS and send very few MMS... but I think I'd still prefer $1 a year than to have adverts all over the app. That said I'd be happier still if the contacts that did use it just got an iPhone and used iMessage instead.

Kilamite
May 5, 2013, 02:10 PM
if i have an iphone, i rather just use fb msging to msg now...wat is watsapp thinking????:confused:

Costs money to put the application into the App Store, it isn't free. Not to mention on going costs of people's time to maintain and update the app.

One off payments don't really make sense for applications like these anymore.