PDA

View Full Version : Switching to 11" with multi-tasking use ?

V4705
Mar 19, 2013, 06:01 PM
Hi,
When I work, I have lots (lots...) of tabs open, ToDo lists, FTP, SSH most of the time on the same screen together.
Also for remote control and VMs.
And sometimes Photoshop but just for small changes not real Photoshop work.

In some of them the screen size sounds matter, in some the resolution...
On the other hand, the 11" is so portable and light...

Do you think it will be a comfortable enough to do the same work with the 11" model?

(I tried playing with it in Apple Store but I'm pretty sure the right test is at home when you really have all your stuff open...).

Thanks!

stchman
Mar 19, 2013, 07:08 PM
What's your budget?

IMO, the 11" is only an option is compact size is the first priority.

If you are set on a MBA, get one with an i7 and 8GB of RAM. The larger 256GB SSD is also nice. MacMall has the 13" with all the features I listed for $1574, that's about $100 less than a year ago.

If you are really in need of a more powerful laptop, then the Retina Macbook Pro with 16GB of RAM might be the ticket. The retina MBP comes with a quad core i7.

Hope this helps.

Drew017
Mar 19, 2013, 09:50 PM
Hi,
When I work, I have lots (lots...) of tabs open, ToDo lists, FTP, SSH most of the time on the same screen together.

Do you think it will be a comfortable enough to do the same work with the 11" model?

(I tried playing with it in Apple Store but I'm pretty sure the right test is at home when you really have all your stuff open...).

Thanks!

IMO the 11 is actually adequate in screen space. I use it as my main laptop and am very pleased. I usually have 3 or 4 apps open at a time (with 2 desktops) and it's really easy to switch. It's also really great in portability because it's so light and small, and the screen resolution is about the same as a 13 inch MBP non retina (1366x768 versus 1280x800. You lose some vertical space, but gain horizontal space)

Mrbobb
Mar 20, 2013, 01:53 AM
Is always nice to have a large screen real estate but if portability is paramount then u must adapt. There are several ways to switch Apps, I use F3, then SELECT. Two clicks to any opened App.

kierennyc
Mar 20, 2013, 03:52 AM
Ive been using the 11' as my main machine for a while now and have no problem working with multiple apps/tabs open.

I pretty much ALWAYS work with all apps open in full screen mode and then just switch between them using swipe gestures. It really is a great system once you get used to it.

Sech
Mar 20, 2013, 09:37 AM
Ive been using the 11' as my main machine for a while now and have no problem working with multiple apps/tabs open.

I pretty much ALWAYS work with all apps open in full screen mode and then just switch between them using swipe gestures. It really is a great system once you get used to it.

I do the same and really my only complaints are when I am working with massive spreadsheets. During that time I'll connect to an external monitor. I understand and appreciate the arguments for larger screen sizes and will probably consider one after Haswell is released. With that said, in general this has been the best Mac I have ever owned.

V4705
Mar 20, 2013, 08:17 PM
Thanks everyone !
I think I will wait to the not-so-far Haswell update and will go with the 11", anyway at the office I'm connecting it to a larger monitor and at home I'm sure you're right, OSX's multi desktops and full-screens will do the job great :)

shootingrubber
Mar 20, 2013, 11:02 PM
No idea, but I'm switching to an 11-inch tomorrow and don't think I'll have any problems with it.

Trey M
Mar 21, 2013, 02:25 AM
Hi,

Thanks!

I really think for your uses the 13'' would better suit you. The extra screen real estate is so valuable. I've owned both- I just recently got my 13'' Air- but I really do think it'll better suit you as you seem to be the type to multitask and have lots of stuff open. Not saying you can't do the same things with the 11'', but it's all just easier to manage with the extra screen real estate. Both computers are extremely portable, so if I were in your shoes, I'd spring for the 13''.