PDA

View Full Version : Hairline Scratches on iPod Gen5

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 04:08 PM
Well, it turns out that the screen surface of the Gen5 iPod is JUST as prone to hairline scratches as the screen surface of the nano. :mad:

The next time I buy an iPod, I will be thoroughly examining the screen before anything touches it... so far as I can tell, there is NOTHING that you can use to clean the screen that won't scratch it in some way.

EDIT: I just found out why this is, from an engineer who works on cleaning products for iPods... not sure if you all know this, but the new iPods (nano and 5G) use a polycarbonate front surface, rather than the acrylic surface of the older iPods. Polycarbonate is better than acrylic in MOST ways, but because it's softer than acrylic, it scratches VERY easily. There's virtually nothing that can clean a polycarbonate surface without scratching it... even the engineer I spoke to said that his 2-day old 5G has scratches all over it... and God help you if you have a black nano or 5G.

Dammit, Apple, 'fess up to the change and either switch BACK to acrylic, or give us crystal-hard screens next time. This is really pissing me off... my iPod's one day old and the screen is COVERED in hairline scratches.

cheekyspanky
Oct 19, 2005, 05:05 PM
Doesn't sound good then - my 3G screen after 2 years is still scratch free, I even tried dragging my nails over it and nothing..!

My white 5G hasn't arrived yet, but it's a little concerning to hear it scratches so easily :(

Tommyg117
Oct 19, 2005, 05:31 PM
are you kidding me? I just got my black 60 gig 5g iPod. What the hell is the purpose of apple making something that scratches this easily? Its better in most ways, but the whole purpose of the clear coating is to PREVENT SCRATCHES! I hope I didn't just buy a 400 dollar scratch pad, I wish that scratches were covered in the apple protection plan.

whalesalad
Oct 19, 2005, 05:34 PM
First of all, the black ipods will show the scratches more, but the white ones recieve just as many scratches. Thats the downside to the sexy black.

To remedy the scratches, I highly reccomend IceCreme from Radtech. They make amazing products! www.radtech.us

The kit will remove scratches and make your ipod look brand new. Definitly check it out. They are also planning to release on of their famous skinz for the ipod 5g so thats something to look forward to.

Lacero
Oct 19, 2005, 05:35 PM
Yeah, Apple tends to royally screw up after they should have learned their lesson from the 1G and 2G iPods. Apple is really stupid in this sort of way, ie. like getting rid of the headphone remote.

Jovian9
Oct 19, 2005, 05:36 PM
I left the front plastic on my 5G 60GB iPod and it's hardly noticeable. Should prevent scratching. I would suggest this for now since there really is no other way to protect it.

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 05:55 PM
First of all, the black ipods will show the scratches more, but the white ones recieve just as many scratches. Thats the downside to the sexy black.

To remedy the scratches, I highly reccomend IceCreme from Radtech. They make amazing products! www.radtech.us

The kit will remove scratches and make your ipod look brand new. Definitly check it out. They are also planning to release on of their famous skinz for the ipod 5g so thats something to look forward to.IF you polish your nano or 5G using Ice Creme, do the following: Use only the Ice Creme A (not the B), and apply ZERO pressure... basically, the cloth should be pushing the polish around on the surface of the iPod. If you press down, you WILL make more scratches. And don't let any of the polish dry on the iPod... when it hardens, it becomes abrasive.

Oh, and dampen your cleaning cloth VERY slightly... this will help to cut down on the possibility of more scratches.

killuminati
Oct 19, 2005, 06:12 PM
How does this product actually clear the ipod of scratches? Does it take material off of the surface? And also does it take away the writing on the back of the ipod (SN and other stuff)?

Mike Teezie
Oct 19, 2005, 06:13 PM
Ah, bummer.

How's the case that came with the iPod clayj?

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 06:16 PM
Ah, bummer.

How's the case that came with the iPod clayj?Rudimentary... I have no way of knowing if its interior surface put any of these scratches on the iPod. And of course, it doesn't help at all when you take the iPod OUT to do something with it.

I've just made a resolution... this is the last iPod I'm buying where I don't have a protective case for it (including 100% screen protection all of the time) FIRST. I encourage you to do the same.

Mike Teezie
Oct 19, 2005, 06:35 PM
That's what I planned on with this one. I learned my lesson with my Nano.

I babied that thing, and it still got scratched up. I have no idea how.

My new iPod won't be coming out of it's plastic until I have a case to put it in.

puckhead193
Oct 19, 2005, 06:43 PM
That's what I planned on with this one. I learned my lesson with my Nano.

I [i]babied[/b] that thing, and it still got scratched up. I have no idea how.

My new iPod won't be coming out of it's plastic until I have a case to put it in.
....and where all these cases. I hope they start to surface soon!

zap2
Oct 19, 2005, 06:47 PM
keeping my 4g color screen until 6gs( i want more vidoe play time and firewire support)

matticus008
Oct 19, 2005, 06:49 PM
How does this product actually clear the ipod of scratches? Does it take material off of the surface? And also does it take away the writing on the back of the ipod (SN and other stuff)?

Yes, like most scratch removers, it buffs down the surface layer, rather than simply polishing it (adding a layer). It doesn't take off anywhere NEAR the amount necessary to affect any of the engraving, though. You could use this or similar products many, many times before you started losing engraved features. Of course, it's not a good idea to do this weekly, or probably even monthly. A couple times a year is usually what is recommended.

cheekyspanky
Oct 19, 2005, 06:51 PM
keeping my 4g color screen until 6gs( i want more vidoe play time and firewire support)

I have a feeling firewire support is never coming back..

zap2
Oct 19, 2005, 06:57 PM
I have a feeling firewire support is never coming back..

well fight em in the stores, online and anyother place i can to get FireWire Back
I'll use my 4g color screen until it breaks, then i'll gte a 6g or 7g and by then i'll
have give up being pro FW or still be fighting the good fight! :D

matticus008
Oct 19, 2005, 06:58 PM
EDIT: I just found out why this is, from an engineer who works on cleaning products for iPods... not sure if you all know this, but the new iPods (nano and 5G) use a polycarbonate front surface, rather than the acrylic surface of the older iPods. Polycarbonate is better than acrylic in MOST ways, but because it's softer than acrylic, it scratches VERY easily. There's virtually nothing that can clean a polycarbonate surface without scratching it... even the engineer I spoke to said that his 2-day old 5G has scratches all over it... and God help you if you have a black nano or 5G.

Dammit, Apple, 'fess up to the change and either switch BACK to acrylic, or give us crystal-hard screens next time. This is really pissing me off... my iPod's one day old and the screen is COVERED in hairline scratches.

I think the last iPod to use acrylic was the 2G (or maybe the 3G). At any rate, it's something like 25 times stronger than acrylic (and about 300 times stronger than your basic silica glass), and because acrylic is brittle, if you do manage to scratch it, it's much more difficult to take out than with polycarbonate. Polycarbonate also doesn't suffer from issues with cracking, and it insulates better against impact (kinetic energy transfer is much lower).

So for dropping or stressing/applying pressure to an iPod (things that conceivably happen often and threaten functionality), the use of polycarbonate makes sense to mitigate that risk of mechanical damage. Unfortunately, it does tend to get minor scratches more easily (but the major gouges that original iPods could get don't generally happen). It's a little more cosmetically susceptible, then. But at least the 4G and newer iPods have used polycarbonate, and I think, a form of lexan, more specifically. Oh, and I also forgot the part about acrylic being easily damaged by chemical exposure (including many foods), but polycarbonates not having that problem.

Lexan is famous for being the material on which "unbreakable" Nalgene models are based.

iDM
Oct 19, 2005, 07:02 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this invisibleSHIELD? Because if people have had only good experiences then i will buy it and not use my ipod(maybe even not touch it) till i put on this wrap, what do you think?

A couple questions about it for people who have used them....
1. Does it yellow over time(my iSkin literally looked urine yellow after a couple months)
2. How scratch resistant is the actually cover(basically am i going to have a clean non scratched ipod, with a scratched up invisible SHIELD?)
3. Is it noticeable?
4. Is it like silicon like the iSkin, or can it glide in and out of my pocket without wanting to grab the cloth if that makes sense.
5. How does it adhere? Is it sticky or static?

Edit:I forgot to put in the most important of the whole post, i'm such an idiot

MacDawg
Oct 19, 2005, 07:09 PM
Wow, I couldn't even tell you if my iPod has scratches on it or not. I never really pay attention to it, I just listen to it and it plays great.

I'm not trying to be a sarcastic, and I'm sorry y'all are having problems with the scratches, I've just never noticed.

Woof, Woof - Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

matticus008
Oct 19, 2005, 07:12 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this? Because if people have had only good experiences then i will buy it and not use my ipod(maybe even not touch it) till i put on this wrap, what do you think?

A couple questions about it for people who have used them....
1. Does it yellow over time(my iSkin literally looked urine yellow after a couple months)
2. How scratch resistant is the actually cover(basically am i going to have a clean non scratched ipod, with a scratched up invisible SHIELD?)
3. Is it noticeable?
4. Is it like silicon like the iSkin, or can it glide in and out of my pocket without wanting to grab the cloth if that makes sense.
5. How does it adhere? Is it sticky or static?

I'm not sure what you mean by "this," but if you're referring to the IceCream sold by Radtech, it's a cleaning agent, not a cover. So most of your questions don't quite work, but I'll give it a shot.

1. No
2. Not scratch resistant at all--it just removes scratches.
3. It's a noticeable improvement if you have scratches!
4. It doesn't affect the surface texture of the iPod.
5. It doesn't.

iDM
Oct 19, 2005, 07:15 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "this," but if you're referring to the IceCream sold by Radtech, it's a cleaning agent, not a cover. So most of your questions don't quite work, but I'll give it a shot.

1. No
2. Not scratch resistant at all--it just removes scratches.
3. It's a noticeable improvement if you have scratches!
4. It doesn't affect the surface texture of the iPod.
5. It doesn't.

I just edited my post, i'm such an idiot, i forgot to put invisibleSHIELD after "this" sorry about that.

matticus008
Oct 19, 2005, 07:18 PM
I just edited my post, i'm such an idiot, i forgot to put invisibleSHIELD after "this" sorry about that.

Hehe, no problem. But there's been no mention of the invisible shield in this thread. There are, of course, several threads elsewhere in the forum.

madmaxmedia
Oct 19, 2005, 07:18 PM
So it's actually the same as the 4G, and no worse?

So confusing keeping my iPod virgin...maybe I'll just keep it in the box. Ha ha-

If it's the same as the 4G, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I will be buying a case though.

matticus008
Oct 19, 2005, 07:23 PM
So it's actually the same as the 4G, and no worse?

So confusing keeping my iPod virgin...maybe I'll just keep it in the box. Ha ha-

If it's the same as the 4G, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I will be buying a case though.

I don't have a 5G iPod, but I have a nano and had a 4G, and I can vouch that the 4G and the nano are the same material, and Apple released a statement to that effect as well ("the same high quality polycarbonate used in the fourth generation iPod"). People are suggesting that the nano and the 5G are the same, which makes complete sense.

It might be that the nano and 5G are polished to a brighter shine--that's the only possible "actual" reason why it would appear to scratch more. I suspect that it's mostly psychological and people are just paying attention to their scratches more than before.

zelmo
Oct 19, 2005, 07:38 PM
Rudimentary... I have no way of knowing if its interior surface put any of these scratches on the iPod. And of course, it doesn't help at all when you take the iPod OUT to do something with it.

I've just made a resolution... this is the last iPod I'm buying where I don't have a protective case for it (including 100% screen protection all of the time) FIRST. I encourage you to do the same.

I feel your pain, clayj.
When I bought my 4G 60GB iPod, I also bought an Agent 18 clear case. I opened the iPod, took off the wrapper and, holding it by the top and bottom, placed it in the clear case. It hasn't been out yet, as it fits nicely in the Bose SoundDock without a dock adapter. Other than a couple of very light surface scratches on the clickwheel, it is pristine.

I will never buy an iPod without a same day case purchase.

wide
Oct 19, 2005, 08:03 PM
i have had many ipod cases in the past. but i always come to the same conclusion after the ipod reaches a certain age:

it doesn't matter. i'll still be able to read the screen and the ipod will still be functional. the ipod will still look damn good. so what does it matter if it scratches?

the only case i will use on my soon to arrive 5G black 30gb ipod is the one apple supplies.

that is, unless, i see some ultra thin 1mm thick plastic sticky case--i just wont be able to resist that :D

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 08:10 PM
I think the point of my complaint (and I think it's a valid one) is that these things are just TOO easily damaged. Sure, I realize that I'm talking about hairline scratches that, for the moment, are only visible when the light is right, but they simply shouldn't be there.

Seriously, as I've said before, I'd pay extra for an iPod with a crystal-hard face, like those found on high-quality Swiss watches. Polycarbonate has lots of attributes, but "cheap" and "easily scratched" are not what I'd expect from Apple.

iDM
Oct 19, 2005, 08:44 PM
i have had many ipod cases in the past. but i always come to the same conclusion after the ipod reaches a certain age:

it doesn't matter. i'll still be able to read the screen and the ipod will still be functional. the ipod will still look damn good. so what does it matter if it scratches?

the only case i will use on my soon to arrive 5G black 30gb ipod is the one apple supplies.

that is, unless, i see some ultra thin 1mm thick plastic sticky case--i just wont be able to resist that :D

I got something for you then if you are looking for something 1mm thick(it's actually thinner than that). According to this website http://www.theinvisibleshield.com/ there indestructible film is only .008 inches thick(=.2032mm) I'm going to buy one for my iPod Video as soon as i get paid on friday so hopefully i'll get it before or precisely when i receive my iPod because otherwise i'll be tempted to use my iPod without the shield!!!

amin
Oct 19, 2005, 08:44 PM
I put an InCase case on my 40GB iPod Photo the moment I opened it. I was surprised to see that the case scratched the display at that very moment! All of the iPods scratch way easy. I think it's Apple's way of making sure the used market doesn't pull would-be buyers away from new iPods. Then again, I really don't mind that my iPod is scratched.

katie ta achoo
Oct 19, 2005, 08:55 PM
To remove scratches, this duuuuuude (http://todd.dailey.info/archives/2005/09/27/restore-your-ipod-nano-to-new-condition-with-a-4-can-of-brasso/) used brasso to remove scratches.

HHHHHhhmmmmmm... Maybe I should go to the Apple store and test this out?

Materials needed:
Brasso
Cotton Balls
sandpaper
display 5G iPod

step one: scratch the living crap out of an iPod
step two: make sure no one is watching before you start.. whoops.
three: OK, scratch it good, if no one is watching
four: apply brasso
5a: if still scratched, run like there's no tomorrow. Find a new apple store.
5b: if perfect, laugh because a $4 can of Brasso fixed their iPod you totally destroyed.

This sounds fun. Maybe I'll try it! :)

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 08:58 PM
Apparently, the Brasso solution is a weapon of last resort, as it scours off some of the surface material.

The new iPods are simply too soft on the outside. They need to be made of tougher stuff.

iDM
Oct 19, 2005, 09:05 PM
To remove scratches, this duuuuuude (http://todd.dailey.info/archives/2005/09/27/restore-your-ipod-nano-to-new-condition-with-a-4-can-of-brasso/) used brasso to remove scratches.

HHHHHhhmmmmmm... Maybe I should go to the Apple store and test this out?

Materials needed:
Brasso
Cotton Balls
sandpaper
display 5G iPod

step one: scratch the living crap out of an iPod
step two: make sure no one is watching before you start.. whoops.
three: OK, scratch it good, if no one is watching
four: apply brasso
5a: if still scratched, run like there's no tomorrow. Find a new apple store.
5b: if perfect, laugh because a $4 can of Brasso fixed their iPod you totally destroyed.

This sounds fun. Maybe I'll try it! :)

I say go for it just don't start asking for donations, "for destroying an iPod in front of everyone", we all know there have been enough of those threads and sites

katie ta achoo
Oct 19, 2005, 09:09 PM
I say go for just don't start asking for donations, "for destroying an iPod in front of everyone", we all know there have been enough of those threads and sites

Oh no... nonono...

Those sites.. just don't make sense. That's $399+ you could be giving to a charity or something.. not THROWING AWAY.

...and that's why you "take care of" a store display..

/i KEED!! I KEED!!

WaxTheories
Oct 19, 2005, 09:11 PM
Clay... could you post some pics of your ipod with the scratches in view?

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 09:18 PM
Clay... could you post some pics of your ipod with the scratches in view?I can maybe try this tomorrow... but the combination of trying to get a good focus with a digital camera plus the fineness of the scratches may not make it possible.

They're most definitely there, though... but only in the right light.

puckhead193
Oct 19, 2005, 09:18 PM
i just saw a commercial for the mr. clean magic eraser, do u think that would work.....? or damage it more.... :confused:

clayj
Oct 19, 2005, 09:23 PM
i just saw a commercial for the mr. clean magic eraser, do u think that would work.....? or damage it more.... :confused:Bad, BAD idea. Those are for cleaning walls and such.

puckhead193
Oct 19, 2005, 09:28 PM
Bad, BAD idea. Those are for cleaning walls and such.
hahaha i don't clean so i don't know... all i heard was that it removed scuffs and scratches... :p :o

freeny
Oct 19, 2005, 10:03 PM
I had one of my "pelican screen guards" ( http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3657052) left over from my psp and noticed they are almost the same ratio and size as the 5g ipod. I cut a circular hole where the click wheel is and it seems to be doing the trick. the pelican screen guard does have a slight texture that is sold as "anti glare" that some may find obstructive but doesnt bother me a bit. I believe there are other screen guards (thin plastic sheets that adhere to the screen via static similar to the guard that comes on your new pod but stronger and more adhering) that are smooth and clear. im keeping an eye out....

matticus008
Oct 19, 2005, 10:26 PM
I think the point of my complaint (and I think it's a valid one) is that these things are just TOO easily damaged. Sure, I realize that I'm talking about hairline scratches that, for the moment, are only visible when the light is right, but they simply shouldn't be there.

Seriously, as I've said before, I'd pay extra for an iPod with a crystal-hard face, like those found on high-quality Swiss watches. Polycarbonate has lots of attributes, but "cheap" and "easily scratched" are not what I'd expect from Apple.

I agree that they're easily scratched. But I also would like to point out that this isn't uncommon in any given kind of personal goods--and the "I bought it for aesthetics" argument is a tenuous one. Silver tarnishes and requires regular maintenance (which involves using a cleaning agent which also removes some of the surface [as do car waxes]), and gold is relatively soft and easily scratched. iPods don't take on such hideous marring that it affects usability or causes chunks of material to be carved out of their surface.

Given the choice, I prefer minor surface scratching (which I can take care of if it becomes a distraction) to a greater likelihood of mechanical or more extensive physical damage if I happen to drop my iPod. A crack is far worse than some light scratching. If you prefer a cosmetically superior iPod to a more durable iPod, that's your prerogative, of course. There's not really a way to have both, given how extremely similar the plastics already are.

Those high quality Swiss watches cost hundreds of dollars and are nothing more than a luxury item. The iPod is a commodity item and the watch comparison just doesn't fit. Most consumers would not pay an additional $60 or more just to reduce the likelihood of scratches while adding thickness and mass along with that higher price.

As for the "cheap" part, Lexan is more expensive than Plexiglass (acrylic), so I'm not sure where that would fit in.

WaxTheories
Oct 19, 2005, 10:38 PM
I'm looking at my year old nalgene bottle right now... it's like a haven for scratches.

But then it's been through ALOT more than I would let my ipod go though.

madmaxmedia
Oct 20, 2005, 12:06 AM
I think harsh language will scratch an iPod.

But we buy them all the same...

muffinman
Oct 20, 2005, 12:09 AM
you should all get a mini. my ipod mini has no scratches at all, and its been through some hard use for 5 months now.

OneMike
Oct 20, 2005, 12:34 AM
I used a microfiber (from an eye glass store) to clean my 3g & 4g ipods. That kept them virtually brand new looking and never marked them. This ipod case shouldn't even be considered a a case. Mission to put it in, mission to take it out. No button access. Most will just operate outside of case..

clayj
Oct 20, 2005, 12:40 AM
I used a microfiber (from an eye glass store) to clean my 3g & 4g ipods. That kept them virtually brand new looking and never marked them. This ipod case shouldn't even be considered a a case. Mission to put it in, mission to take it out. No button access. Most will just operate outside of case..That's what I've used on my nano and 5G... and they're both hairline scratched now.

I'm telling ya, there is NOTHING that can touch the front surface of these iPods that won't scratch them in some way.

matticus008
Oct 20, 2005, 12:45 AM
That's what I've used on my nano and 5G... and they're both hairline scratched now.

I'm telling ya, there is NOTHING that can touch the front surface of these iPods that won't scratch them in some way.

Now are these linear scratches or the circular whorl type ones?

clayj
Oct 20, 2005, 12:53 AM
Now are these linear scratches or the circular whorl type ones?They're linear, but they seem to surround whatever light source is currently reflected in the screen.

For example, imagine a clock face. There are 12 "x" lines, running from the center of the clock to each of the hour numbers (1-12). At each hour number, there is a "y" line which is perpendicular to the "x" line that radiates from the center of the clock.

The center of the clock face is where a light source is reflected on the iPod's screen... and the "y" lines are the scratches. They almost seem to shift, depending on the angle of reflection of the light source.

What I really need is to get an iPod, mint out of the box, and examine its screen carefully to see if this is just a natural attribute of these screens.

OneMike
Oct 20, 2005, 12:55 AM
That's what I've used on my nano and 5G... and they're both hairline scratched now.

WOW

That's just crazy. Can't even take finger prints off then. And being that there is no case you will get them.

Hopefully they will release some case before I leave next week. I'll just keep it home and use my ipod photo till then

matticus008
Oct 20, 2005, 01:00 AM
They're linear, but they seem to surround whatever light source is currently reflected in the screen.

For example, imagine a clock face. There are 12 "x" lines, running from the center of the clock to each of the hour numbers (1-12). At each hour number, there is a "y" line which is perpendicular to the "x" line that radiates from the center of the clock.

The center of the clock face is where a light source is reflected on the iPod's screen... and the "y" lines are the scratches. They almost seem to shift, depending on the angle of reflection of the light source.

What I really need is to get an iPod, mint out of the box, and examine its screen carefully to see if this is just a natural attribute of these screens.

Hmm. That could be. I've never examined my iPods that carefully when I received them, but I know that cars exhibit the same pattern (from buffing at the factory) and my printer does the same with round concentric "etchings" (it's a very glossy, white laser printer that has never been rubbed or polished, only dusted straight across with one of those fuzzy duster things).

I do know that the "whorls" are a natural effect of polishing both metal lacquers and plastic coatings...but it may be that it appears to be scratching as that factory gloss wears off over the first few days, exposing that pattern? I wonder how many people consider this scratching, and whether that constitutes a good chunk of the complaints.

You raise a very interesting issue. :)

dejo
Oct 20, 2005, 01:03 AM
Hmm, but won't the act of putting the iPod (even if fresh outta the box) in a case introduce scratches?

clayj
Oct 20, 2005, 01:06 AM
Hmm, but won't the act of putting the iPod (even if fresh outta the box) in a case introduce scratches?Ding ding ding ding!

The first thing to touch my iPod's screen (other than the protective wrapping that I peeled off) was the inside of the case that came with it... Heaven only knows if that's where the scratches first came from.

dejo
Oct 20, 2005, 01:09 AM
Ding ding ding ding!

The first thing to touch my iPod's screen (other than the protective wrapping that I peeled off) was the inside of the case that came with it... Heaven only knows if that's where the scratches first came from.

So, even if you plan to take your brand-new iPod and put it in some after-market case and never take it out again, it may still get scratched. Apple really needs to do something about this.

matticus008
Oct 20, 2005, 01:18 AM
So, even if you plan to take your brand-new iPod and put it in some after-market case and never take it out again, it may still get scratched. Apple really needs to do something about this.

The act of polishing it to that lustrous, famous shine during assembly introduces scratches, too. There's no way to win.

OneMike
Oct 20, 2005, 01:27 AM
Well I know it's not the case that's scratching it. I put my Ipod in and out of the case about 5 times and it's still scratch free. I'm not taking chances though

iDM
Oct 20, 2005, 07:55 AM
Ding ding ding ding!

I hear what the poster above me said, but i could really see this issue snowballing into a "My iPod gets scratched from the case APPLE gave me" and if that's the case i'll be pushing myself to the front of the line to petition as well.

I thought my 3rd Gen held up extremely well, for the conditions it was put through, it literally traveled around the world with me for 4 months, in my bookbag, in my pockets, in addition to being used to supply music for all of my apartment parties which were rather frequent and had many intoxicated hands all over it. It did of course have scratches but they were more along the lines of VERY slight but frequent shallow hairline scratches. Which after almost 2 years of usage under all of those conditions was fine with me. Since i went with the black case this time (I was under the impression that the screen was the only thing to show scratches and not of the propensity for the black cases too!!!) i know i'm gonna have to be super careful with this thing, but it does get to a point where it is ridiculous the amount of care you need to show this thing.

If it wasn't meant to go into pockets and bookbags(probably not a good idea for any electronic, but APPLE needs to assume the usuage of these things) because it scratches so easy then why even make it small, why even give it a 2.5 screen, understand? BTW i was first skeptical over how truly easy these things scratch and i assumed ClayJ probably threw this thing in his pocket with keys and then started complaining, but after viewing his site(very very nicely done, did you create it? My mom wants me to build a site to sell her artwork)it appears he is a rather clean and organized person, so i don't he's trying to scheme or wine to Apple.

ClayJ any closer to maybe getting some pics up?

I literally will not take this thing out of the box until i get a case for it if need be. I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon unless they release one that doubles as an obedient non-whiney girlfriend, so i wanna keep this thing new looking for the longest amount of time possible!

Chupa Chupa
Oct 20, 2005, 08:15 AM
Gee, I don't know if I should be upset because I have soooo many other things to concern me other than if my iPod got scratched today OR if I should be joyful because my life isn't so one dimensional that the only thing I have to occupy my time is to feel up my iPod and b!tch and moan about the scratches. Maybe some of you guys need a tall glass of water and some Exlax.

I've owned a model from each iPod generation. Yeah, they get beat up. It's not really all that shocking. They are not plasma TVs mounted on a wall. They are portable music players made of acrylic and chrome. But if you put a PDA screen protector (What! PDAs scratch up too! Outrageous!) on the screen, hey, no screen scratches. Wa la. You can now try to resume having a life (assuming you ever did). And if that solution doesn't work for you, then just don't buy an iPod. Every time you buy a new iPod you are telling Apple they are "doing a great job, the iPod is perfect."

BTW proud 5G black 60 GB owner here. No scratches...at least from what I can tell. I don't really look THAT hard for them. Of course I just trimmed down the attached screen protector until a proper 5G case is available.

WaxTheories
Oct 20, 2005, 02:56 PM
Maybe this is just an issue with a few iPods... like what happened with the Nano?

devilot
Oct 20, 2005, 03:02 PM
I agree that it seems like even some very soft microfiber cloths are scratching up the iPods-- that's why I didn't take my nano out of the Apple plastic until I was about to place my Martin Fields cover on it... I didn't want to risk it.

And yes, there are more pressing matters in life than scratched on a personal music player, but it would also be nice if a product wouldn't get so 'beat up' from very soft cloths much less the case it ships with!

clayj
Oct 20, 2005, 03:15 PM
Maybe this is just an issue with a few iPods... like what happened with the Nano?No, that's a totally different issue... nano screens cracking, breaking, etc. What we're talking about is a fundamental problem with ALL recent iPods... they're far too easily scratched, because of the nature and composition of their design.

WaxTheories
Oct 20, 2005, 03:20 PM
No, that's a totally different issue... nano screens cracking, breaking, etc. What we're talking about is a fundamental problem with ALL recent iPods... they're far too easily scratched, because of the nature and composition of their design.

Alright. You're becoming quite the apple hater aren't you? :)

clayj
Oct 20, 2005, 03:34 PM
Alright. You're becoming quite the apple hater aren't you? :)Not at all. What I am becoming is someone who's rightly concerned that some current Apple products are not as durable as they should be. :)

cheekyspanky
Oct 20, 2005, 03:49 PM
I have to agree with ClayJ. There is an expectation that any new product is somewhat resistant to the daily stresses it is put through. An iPod being scratched in a pocket full of keys, or while dragged across a table would be fair, but if an iPod is getting scratched while being wiped with a soft cloth this is evidence of a major design failure in my view.

ipacmm
Oct 20, 2005, 04:05 PM
I just got my ipod yesterday and it already has scratches on it...anyone try iCleaner?Link (http://www.ipodcleaner.com/)

I am thinking about buying it, anyone know if it really works?

Diatribe
Oct 20, 2005, 04:08 PM
If even Walt Mossberg is complaining, there is something REALLY WRONG with an Apple product... If for anything, they'll listen to him since Steve likes to quote him.

dcv
Oct 20, 2005, 04:17 PM

But.. but... but... then you won't be the FIRST to post pictures again! :eek:

clayj
Oct 20, 2005, 04:18 PM
But.. but... but... then you won't be the FIRST to post pictures again! :eek:It's a price I'm willing to pay. ;)

Applespider
Oct 20, 2005, 04:24 PM
It does seem bizarre; how many people drop their iPods hard enough to crack them against how many end up having them scratched from doing very little to them?

Why can't they use the stuff that they put on mobile phones? My t68 and k700 were carried around every day for a over a year in a combination of handbags and pockets and never got a scratch on the screen. They also didn't crack when I dropped them...

clayj
Oct 20, 2005, 04:29 PM
It does seem bizarre; how many people drop their iPods hard enough to crack them against how many end up having them scratched from doing very little to them?

Why can't they use the stuff that they put on mobile phones? My t68 and k700 were carried around every day for a over a year in a combination of handbags and pockets and never got a scratch on the screen. They also didn't crack when I dropped them...Yeah, I think Apple severely miscalculated on this one. They switched from hard-to-scratch-but-easier-to-crack-or-break acrylic to EASY-to-scratch-but-almost-impossible-to-crack-or-break polycarbonate... so, rather than the 1% (or whatever low figure it was) of people having broken screens, we now have 99%+ having scratched screens.

Seems like a really dumb trade-off to me. I treat my gear with kid gloves... nothing goes in the pocket with keys or change. Bring back acrylic screens! (Or crystal-hard screens... my preference.)

matticus008
Oct 20, 2005, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I think Apple severely miscalculated on this one. They switched from hard-to-scratch-but-easier-to-crack-or-break acrylic to EASY-to-scratch-but-almost-impossible-to-crack-or-break polycarbonate... so, rather than the 1% (or whatever low figure it was) of people having broken screens, we now have 99%+ having scratched screens.

Seems like a really dumb trade-off to me. I treat my gear with kid gloves... nothing goes in the pocket with keys or change. Bring back acrylic screens! (Or crystal-hard screens... my preference.)

Or they just assumed that since ALL iPods scratch even with gentle usage, getting those scratches a little faster was worth making a more durable iPod. Like a car or any other cherished possession that gets put in the face of danger, after the first few scratches, you get over it.

The difference in difficulty to scratch is very small (look at acryllic aquariums or bus dividers or the like), but the difference in strength is a factor of 25.

iDM
Oct 20, 2005, 07:28 PM
Gee, I don't know if I should be upset because I have soooo many other things to concern me other than if my iPod got scratched today OR if I should be joyful because my life isn't so one dimensional that the only thing I have to occupy my time is to feel up my iPod and b!tch and moan about the scratches. Maybe some of you guys need a tall glass of water and some Exlax.

I've owned a model from each iPod generation. Yeah, they get beat up. It's not really all that shocking. They are not plasma TVs mounted on a wall. They are portable music players made of acrylic and chrome. But if you put a PDA screen protector (What! PDAs scratch up too! Outrageous!) on the screen, hey, no screen scratches. Wa la. You can now try to resume having a life (assuming you ever did). And if that solution doesn't work for you, then just don't buy an iPod. Every time you buy a new iPod you are telling Apple they are "doing a great job, the iPod is perfect."

BTW proud 5G black 60 GB owner here. No scratches...at least from what I can tell. I don't really look THAT hard for them. Of course I just trimmed down the attached screen protector until a proper 5G case is available.

I seriously doubt that anyone that posts on these forums life is hanging by a thread so thin that a scratch on their ipod will mean certain death, but incase you stumbled into here by accident this is a Mac Forum, you post things about the Apple products you own or desire to own, you can ask questions, and give reviews and even complain(GASP!)

If i spend 300 dollars on this thing and it gets scratches from a sneeze well then i have a problem with that and i desire to know what the causes and what the possibilities of repair maybe. This however does not mean i can't enjoy my beer or the fact the sun is still shining and i seriously doubt/hope that people are clinging to life based on the scratch resistance of their ipods, take it easy dude this is a forum about products and software, what do you expect people to talk about? I'm not trying to get into a flame war, but if you have such a cool happening life and you don't care about your Apple products getting muffed up, well then what are you posting on these boards for. If all you care about is politics or community discussions well then there are about a million other sites to go to, i'd be glad to give you some examples.

iDM

matticus008
Oct 20, 2005, 09:04 PM
If i spend 300 dollars on this thing and it gets scratches from a sneeze well then i have a problem with that and i desire to know what the causes and what the possibilities of repair maybe.

I think that was a fair post, except for the quoted section. This is the thing that I have a sworn duty to debunk. The price of an item does not have ANYTHING to do with its ability to resist scratches. The fact that it's not a $15 disposable toy is absolutely irrelevant to this issue. Costing more does not give it some magical expectation to be scratchproof.

Scratchproof watches start out above $600, while watches themselves can be purchased for as little as $10. Even a relatively expensive, nice, $250 watch scratches, possibly even more easily than a different $100 watch. Money is not a measure of protection. Period.

The crystal used in those watches is made from sapphire (or a synthetic aluminum oxide) and is many tens of times too expensive for a commodity item like the iPod. The shiny, brightly polished surface of the iPod does suffer from scratches. The aesthetic (and functional, because it allows for different color iPods at a lower cost) decision to put a clear layer on the surface that in some respects acts like a magnifying lens has been made. Switching back to acrylic like the 1G and 2G would mean significant increases in cost for the housing components and a substantial loss in the durability of the iPod along with at least a minor increase in thickness and weight.

Every iPod I've seen that's more than a month or two old and used regularly without a case has a layer of scratches on it. Every single one. The nanos reach that stage a little faster (I'm only now starting to see nanos that have this similarly complete "worn in" look...and they've been out now for six weeks). A tougher, thinner, lighter, cheaper iPod is easily worth this trade, especially since the cosmetic condition is EASIER TO FIX than with acrylic.

iDM
Oct 20, 2005, 09:41 PM
I think that was a fair post, except for the quoted section. This is the thing that I have a sworn duty to debunk. The price of an item does not have ANYTHING to do with its ability to resist scratches. The fact that it's not a $15 disposable toy is absolutely irrelevant to this issue. Costing more does not give it some magical expectation to be scratchproof.

Scratchproof watches start out above $600, while watches themselves can be purchased for as little as $10. Even a relatively expensive, nice, $250 watch scratches, possibly even more easily than a different $100 watch. Money is not a measure of protection. Period.

The crystal used in those watches is made from sapphire (or a synthetic aluminum oxide) and is many tens of times too expensive for a commodity item like the iPod. The shiny, brightly polished surface of the iPod does suffer from scratches. The aesthetic (and functional, because it allows for different color iPods at a lower cost) decision to put a clear layer on the surface that in some respects acts like a magnifying lens has been made. Switching back to acrylic like the 1G and 2G would mean significant increases in cost for the housing components and a substantial loss in the durability of the iPod along with at least a minor increase in thickness and weight.

Every iPod I've seen that's more than a month or two old and used regularly without a case has a layer of scratches on it. Every single one. The nanos reach that stage a little faster (I'm only now starting to see nanos that have this similarly complete "worn in" look...and they've been out now for six weeks). A tougher, thinner, lighter, cheaper iPod is easily worth this trade, especially since the cosmetic condition is EASIER TO FIX than with acrylic.

I think you may have mis-interpreted my point, it was more a response to Chumpa Wumba or whatever his name was. I completely agree that at no point does Apple say that their iPods are scratch-proof and the price is irrelevant. I was attempting to remove the validity of his post by stating reasons for why macrumors members are involved with this forum.

matticus008
Oct 20, 2005, 09:44 PM
I think you may have mis-interpreted my point, it was more a response to Chumpa Wumba or whatever his name was. I completely agree that at no point does Apple say that their iPods are scratch-proof and the price is irrelevant. I was attempting to remove the validity of his post by stating reasons for why macrumors members are involved with this forum.
Well in that case, I take no exception to any part of your post ;). But I'm going to leave it up as a warning for people who wander in and say "$300 and it scratches! Down with Apple!" because I WILL jump down their throats. :cool:

iDM
Oct 20, 2005, 10:45 PM
Well in that case, I take no exception to any part of your post ;). But I'm going to leave it up as a warning for people who wander in and say "$300 and it scratches! Down with Apple!" because I WILL jump down their throats. :cool:

I don't doubt you would

OneMike
Oct 20, 2005, 11:54 PM

The Ipod shouldn't scratch this easily for $300, period. Since about a year and a half ago I owned 5 ipods. The first one that I got had a few scratches and that was only because it came with the old leather belt clip case where you had to remove it to use it. Handling it lightly and it still got a few scratches. All my others went scratch free only because I put them in a case right out of the box. You have to handle them like a egg, actually worse. You could roll a egg on the floor and it'll still be scratch free.

On to my point.

With price is supposed to come quality. It's an unwritten rule, but it's still a rule. Same applies to other places. You go to a restaurant that charges $100 a plate. It doesn't say it on the menu but the service better be better then Mc Donalds. The ipod gets scratched due to poor design materials. Simple.

You made a statement about scratchproof watches. Scratch proof and scratch resistant are too different things. I don't think it should be scratchproof, but if a microfiber could scratch an item you have a problem. It should be stonger then that. An ipod without a case is like a sky diver without a parachute. Case should be an option, not mandatory.

I have a Treo 650. I've tried hard, even ran a key across the screen and I still didn't scratch, dropped it a few times, etc.. It's still flawless, only thing that shows any wear is the stylus from putting it in and out. That's a $5 item. Two different products but same point. When you pay more anybody in their right mind would expect more. Treo actually surpassed my expectations many times.

Ipod is like a glass house next to a golf course. Pretty, but doomed.

matticus008
Oct 21, 2005, 12:18 AM
The Ipod shouldn't scratch this easily for $300, period.

With price is supposed to come quality. It's an unwritten rule, but it's still a rule. Same applies to other places. You go to a restaurant that charges $100 a plate. It doesn't say it on the menu but the service better be better then Mc Donalds. The ipod gets scratched due to poor design materials. Simple.

You do know that microfiber is an abrasive, correct? It is not the same as a lint-free cloth and is not meant for the same applications. It picks up dust and debris and becomes extremely hazardous to many surfaces unless it's brand new.

Polycarbonate is a higher quality material than acrylic. With price, you get that quality. The iPod is tougher with polycarbonate. It is harder to chip, crack, shatter. It resists damage from more chemical agents. It provides better insulation against impacts. It is 25 times stronger. It is EASIER to polish properly. It is also somewhat easier to develop minor scratches (but harder to develop more major cosmetic problems). Since acrylic is not substantially harder to scratch and has all of those other problems, it is an inferior choice. The iPod is made to be tough, not scratchproof. It resists major cosmetic damage, but light scratches are easier to come by. Given that they are also easier to polish out, what's the problem? Where's the lacking quality? Why would you rather have acrylic?

That $100 meal offers better service (Apple's customer service is consistently ranked in the top tier), better food (Apple's products are quality and subject to high testing standards), better presentation (Apple's design is an industry leader). But you know what? That china plate scratches a hell of a lot easier and breaks much more readily than the plasticized material at a $5 buffet.

OneMike
Oct 21, 2005, 02:33 AM
That $100 meal offers better service (Apple's customer service is consistently ranked in the top tier), better food (Apple's products are quality and subject to high testing standards), better presentation (Apple's design is an industry leader). But you know what? That china plate scratches a hell of a lot easier and breaks much more readily than the plasticized material at a $5 buffet.

In the example I gave: The ipod itself would be the meal, service would be the quality of the ipod, the china plate would've been the packaging as that's what the meal was delivered on, etc.. Customer service is a different situation. That doesn't come in the box, that's something you only use if you need it. Enough of comparing the Ipod to food I'm getting hungry..

On my other ipods I used eye glass clothes to clean them. Never gave me a problem. A few said even using those have scratched thier new ipods. I didn't clean mine yet or barely use it so I can't say if it's true or not. I'm probably going to end up just getting rid of it today and keeping my ipod photo. At this point i'm not impressed with it. A million hours to convert a video and some of them come out without sound when I could just hotsync the original .mpg file to my treo and straight out play it. It's nice but not worth the hassle to me.

todge
Oct 21, 2005, 04:58 AM
Yes we all know polycarbonate is stronger etc.
But I think people are upset that if they treat their ipod with EXTREME care it'll still lose its look pretty quickly. That is NOT the fault of the user.
Of course, If you don't treat your ipod that well and drop it around the place then polycarbonate is a much better option than acryllic.

Basically Apple have helped out the not so careful users at the expense of careful users. Is that right? Well, that's a matter of opinion, but personally I think people who drop their ipod should expect chips in it, whereas normal everyday use shouldn't produce as many scratches as it does now.
I think Apple have made a rare mistake here.

matticus008
Oct 21, 2005, 07:01 AM
Yes we all know polycarbonate is stronger etc.
But I think people are upset that if they treat their ipod with EXTREME care it'll still lose its look pretty quickly.
Ultimately, any iPod scratches up to about the same level in any and all real world situations. Even gentle users like myself (my last cell phone looked better after three years than most of my coworkers' after six months) accumulate a fair number of scratches after a few months. Once there are a healthy number of scratches, it looks about the same forever after. You can tell the difference between a brand new iPod and one that's two months old, but another few months and it's just about impossible to know whether it's six months or one or two years old (unless you know the differing designs ;)).

People seem to want to extend the inevitable, and that's a fair reaction. But buying a couple extra weeks of minimal scratching can't possibly be worth losing all the other advantages, so no, I don't agree it was a mistake or even a hard decision for Apple. Most people just toss them around like keys or cell phones or shoes, and those of us that don't are probably too uptight anyway.

CDs scratch way more easily than any iPod out now (including the nano). I think if there's somewhere to direct scratch-phobia, it's optical media.

cheekyspanky
Oct 21, 2005, 08:52 AM
Everyone I know with an iPod treats it like a baby - people are aware of the cost, (unlike cell phones which are pretty much free) and the fact it looks breakable.

Maybe Apple made this decision with the intention that many people will choose to upgrade if their iPod looks horrible from all of the scratches it's accumulated. As someone else mentioned, this issue now affects everyone, even the most careful whereas before most peoples iPod lasted okay until the battery crapped out.

angawi
Oct 21, 2005, 08:56 AM
Casio uses scratch resistant material in their G-Shock watches that sell for about $100, or at least the more recent ones. Would it really be that hard/expensive to use on the iPod?

matticus008
Oct 21, 2005, 03:31 PM
Casio uses scratch resistant material in their G-Shock watches that sell for about $100, or at least the more recent ones. Would it really be that hard/expensive to use on the iPod?

Well considering that polycarbonate costs about $9+ per square foot and the synthetic aluminum oxide "scratch resistant" material costs many dollars per square inch (up to ridiculous sums exceeding $100, depending on the quality), yes. The lens on a watch is one of three potentially expensive parts, and it's a much smaller area than the front of an iPod.

rosalindavenue
Oct 21, 2005, 05:04 PM
One issue noone has addressed is the fact that this is the first ipod that is going to have constant use of the screen-- not just occasional glances for what's currently playing, or to change songs-- the 5G is going to be scrutinized every time a music video or tv show is played. I think that apple is going to wish they'd used the less scratch-prone stuff. At the same time, I recall that there were also plenty of complaints about hairline cracks on the older ipods. I use an iskin on my 3G and I haven't even seen my "naked" ipod in 18 months; don't know if its scratched or not.

iEric
Oct 21, 2005, 05:27 PM
How come Oakley sunglasses (uses PolyCarbonate lenses, yes all of them) don't scratch so easily?

aw, that sucks. looks like i'm gonna wait til they get this figured out OR buy a white one. but BLACK IS SO COOL.

OneMike
Oct 21, 2005, 05:36 PM
Got rid of my ipod today and actually made money off of it so the 5th Gen is good for something after all. Anyway I'm back to my Ipod Photo now so this is no longer my concern. Good luck to everybody else.

balamw
Oct 21, 2005, 05:39 PM
On my other ipods I used eye glass clothes to clean them. Never gave me a problem. A few said even using those have scratched thier new ipods.

A million hours to convert a video and some of them come out without sound when I could just hotsync the original .mpg file to my treo and straight out play it. It's nice but not worth the hassle to me.
I suspect that people notice the scratches more on the 5G/nano because they either look at the screen more and/or they got the black one where scratches show up more.

All I know is that my 4G iPod scratched quickly until I got my iSkin. I also know that my Nokia 3100 cheapie phone's screen is scratched to all heck, but I put a piece of PDA screen protector on there and it is great. My digital camera's screen is also scratched, and it lives in a case all the time.

I am also surprised that the 5G doesn't support MPEG-1 or -2 natively. Seems like the Broadocm chip should support that.

B

Lurk
Oct 22, 2005, 12:32 AM
This iPod must be in its little case when it's in my pocket, right? Without it I would assume that it would get scratched pretty badly..

Also, there's a fingerprint above my clickwheel... how would you suggest getting rid of it?

clayj
Oct 22, 2005, 12:38 AM
This iPod must be in its little case when it's in my pocket, right? Without it I would assume that it would get scratched pretty badly..

Also, there's a fingerprint above my clickwheel... how would you suggest getting rid of it?If NOTHING has been rubbed on your iPod's face, I recommend you take a picture (or series of pictures) of it to document what it looks like right now... the best light for documenting scratches is reflecting off the iPod's face into the camera (sunlight works best for seeing scratches, with the iPod shut off).

Beyond that, the only thing I can suggest WRT to cleaning it is that you use something VERY soft and apply almost ZERO pressure. Once you've done that, see if any scratches have appeared. If they do, let us all know what you tried.

A question for anyone who's just acquired a NEW iPod... when you unwrap it, check the screen right away to see how it looks... again, try this in sunlight. See if you see any sort of linear scratches surrounding the light source in the circle... and if they move based on the position of the reflected light source.

Lurk
Oct 22, 2005, 12:29 PM
When I got my iPod, I noticed a small, but noticable scratch to the left of the wheel. It pissed me off, but it wasn't on the screen, so it's not that bad. I'm gonna try some cleaning kit for glasses, hopefully it's soft enough.

Edit:
I just got some baby whipes, dried off most of it, so that it isn't too wet and used almost zero pressure. After, I got some toilet paper and gently whiped it off.. It worked! No extra scratches so far.. :) (I used this to remove finger prints and dirt)

Lasareath
Oct 23, 2005, 08:52 AM
Has Anybody used any of these two Cases for their 4G or Earlier iPods?

PRIE Ambassador - Found here: http://www.tunewear.com/english/product/

and

iTubes - Found here: http://www.ipodstreet.com/ipod-video-5g-30gb.htm

I just ordered my 30GB Black 5Gen iPod and it will be in my hands by Nov 4th So I want to be prepared.

Or if anybody knows of a really great protective case for the 5th Gen Please post them.

TIA,

Lasareath

CubaTBird
Oct 23, 2005, 10:47 AM
the glasses i wear are made of high index material with a layer of scratch protection on them.. why can't the ipods be made of such a material?

ja0912
Oct 23, 2005, 11:39 AM
x

Lasareath
Oct 23, 2005, 11:48 AM
the glasses i wear are made of high index material with a layer of scratch protection on them.. why can't the ipods be made of such a material?

Hey Cuba, I have heard someplace that somebody is working on using the same clear crystals used for watches on a new Cell phone coming out. I think Apple should do something like that, But I think the cost would go way up and the iPod would be Very Heavy.

I've Owned Every iPod Generation except for the 4th and I never really cared about a case, I just wanted to be able to enjoy the great looks of the iPod all the time, even when I was using it.

But now with this Black Finish I'm thinking that maybe it's time to protect it a bit.....

Lasareath

Sundance Kid
Oct 23, 2005, 12:48 PM
ok people...... My dad has a iPod Nano. He bought the INVISIsheild for it. In opinion it's the best protector out there. As for myself, i hate have those clunky cases around, but the thing my dad has it pretty cool. Its like this really really thin peice of special plastic, thats resistant to scratches, and even has limited healing capabilities. Whats more is that if it does get scratched, there is a life time warranty and you can send it back! Someone here already mentioned the shield, but i thought i'd tell you what i thought.

Also, its smooth so that is slides in your pocket as if it wasn't there. I HATED* those thick rubber things people always used to use with their iPod.

I have my 20 gig b&w gen 4 iPod, and its covered with scratches, but i couldn't care less. Just as long as i can read it its good... But now with the video pods, i'd definetely get the sheild because i'd be spending a lot more time looking at the screen.

I can post pics you guys want.

my two bits,

james

pistol44
Oct 23, 2005, 01:13 PM
I can post pics you guys want.

Please do. I already ordered mine but I'm still curious to see what it looks like.

Sundance Kid
Oct 23, 2005, 02:08 PM
Please do. I already ordered mine but I'm still curious to see what it looks like.

yeah right! i'm not going to show you what it looks like!

(lol)

matticus008
Oct 23, 2005, 05:26 PM

The prevailing difference here is that with glasses, the lenses are exactly what makes them expensive. With watches, the face is one of three expensive parts. In both cases, the total surface area to protect is pretty small. With an iPod, you're not talking about the same relationship.

Why are $200 glasses more scratch resistant? Because the lenses cost $100. Why are $600 watches almost entirely scratchproof? Because they can afford to spend $150 on a tough crystal watch face and still make a profit from the product. Right now, Apple is just spending a few dollars on the polycarbonate outer shell (somewhere between about $4 and $8). In order to keep prices low (and they are low) and weight down, they can't spend $50+ on a more scratch-proof material.

Lasareath
Oct 23, 2005, 05:57 PM
ok people...... My dad has a iPod Nano. He bought the INVISIsheild for it. In opinion it's the best protector out there.

Hey Sundance Kid,

I've seen a review on the INVISIshield here:

http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2005/GearNGadgets/September2005/RDMGG_InvisibleShieldFirstLook.htm

And it's pretty crazy how you need to put it on, With soapy water, Did your father do it this way also?

I'm just a little scared to put this wet object on my brand new iPod,

Please ask your Dad if it was easy, Also can you ask him does the INVISIshield curl up on the edges?

TIA,

Lasareath

matticus008
Oct 23, 2005, 06:03 PM
And it's pretty crazy how you need to put it on, With soapy water, Did your father do it this way also?

I'm just a little scared to put this wet object on my brand new iPod,

It seems a little intense, but if you've ever done plastic model kits, it's the same thing. As long as you shake off the excess water and allow the nano to dry for a few hours, everything is fine. It's also important that your "soapy water" NOT be foamy water. Use a very small amount of soap and very gently add it to a bowl of water and stir it lightly, waiting for the bubbles to subside before using it.

As long as it's not sopping wet, you won't do any damage. You can use just water with no soap, but then you don't have any give to slide it into place; it'll just stick where you put it.

Tommyg117
Oct 23, 2005, 07:02 PM
Are there any prodects available that are like the invisible sheild or the overlay plus which JUST cover the screen? I like the idea of the black part being covered up but I do not want the click wheel to be covered by a piece of plastic, it will make it feel all different and the be less sensitive. Any ideas?

matticus008
Oct 23, 2005, 07:14 PM
Are there any prodects available that are like the invisible sheild or the overlay plus which JUST cover the screen? I like the idea of the black part being covered up but I do not want the click wheel to be covered by a piece of plastic, it will make it feel all different and the be less sensitive. Any ideas?

You could use a hobby knife to cut out the wheel from the invisible shield.

There are several ways to do this. If you're confident in your tracing abilities, a fine pen and placing the shield over the nano (without wetting it) would mark its position. Then put the shield on a clean work surface and use a hobby knife to cut it out. Apply the shield as normal. Also, if you can find a full-size nano image on paper (maybe one comes with the invisible shield, as a display backing?) you could use that to cut out the circle without the use of a pen. The third method would involve measuring the diameter of the circle, and measure the distance from the edge of the iPod to the circle in all four directions. Then use a compass to make a matching circle on paper, and use it as a stencil to cut the invisible shield.

(I also don't like the idea of the whole-surface protection...the slight movement of the click wheel will produce air bubbles after a while. I think devilot76 used a screen protector that is pre-punched with a separate wheel cover. You could simply discard that piece. Search for her and find the thread where she talks about that if you want more info.)

devilot
Oct 23, 2005, 07:36 PM
(I also don't like the idea of the whole-surface protection...the slight movement of the click wheel will produce air bubbles after a while. I think devilot76 used a screen protector that is pre-punched with a separate wheel cover. You could simply discard that piece. Search for her and find the thread where she talks about that if you want more info.)Haha, thanks, as I was reading your reply I was thinking, "Wait, my Nano cover had a pre-cut wheel area!" Martin Fields (http://www.doml.com.sg/productdec.asp?pid=2089&model=nano_ipod&modeln=iPod%20nano) is for the nano, but I'm guessing a 5th gen iPod cover will be coming soon. Also more discussion about the cover in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=152447).

puckhead193
Oct 23, 2005, 08:44 PM
does anyone have that timbuk2 case for the ipod? I like it, but i still have to take it out to change songs etc.... which i don't mind cause cases sometimes take away the look of the ipod