PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you don't eat?

Dagless
Oct 19, 2005, 04:26 PM
Well... not through lack of food in the house, but lack of good food in the house I haven't eaten since 6pm yesterday which makes it around... 28 hours (I think, I've never been too good at maths) of no food.

I have been drinking lots of pure orange juice though. which is high in sugar so my blood sugar levels should be okay. I may not even be eating until breakfast tomorrow morning, where i'll only have cereal.

um. so yea, what happens if you don't eat? how long until I pass out :D not that i'd want that. but im happy right now. strangely enough.

iSaint
Oct 19, 2005, 04:27 PM
ouch! This can't be good...

w_parietti22
Oct 19, 2005, 04:31 PM
A person can live without food for quite some time, usually for many weeks.
The body will use its fat and protein stores (muscles) to help it survive.
If a person has a lot of fat stores (is very heavy), they will live longer than a
person who has very little fat (very thin), so how long a person can survive
depends a lot of the person. Of course, if you go without food for a few weeks,
you will be very weak since you have been using your own muscles for energy.

Water is a different story. A person will die within 3-4 days without water. The
size of the person really doesn't make much difference.

^^^

Go to the store before you lose you muscles! :eek:

Peterkro
Oct 19, 2005, 04:33 PM
If you don't eat you don't ***** and if you don't ***** you die. :)

scem0
Oct 19, 2005, 04:34 PM
Your body gets in "ahhhh he's starving me!" mode and next time you eat it will store lots of fat. So, not eating is a bad way to lose weight and very bad for you in general.

_Emerson

EGT
Oct 19, 2005, 04:34 PM
ehh!? Go eat some food!

I know there are some radical diets out there but usually food is part of all of them.

Food is fuel. No fuel, no ... something.

Grey Beard
Oct 19, 2005, 04:36 PM
If you don't eat you don't ***** and if you don't ***** you die. :)
Curse you Peterkro, beaten by a couple of minutes.
Grey Beard

thedude110
Oct 19, 2005, 04:38 PM
You lose credibility in other food related threads.

cheekyspanky
Oct 19, 2005, 04:39 PM
I don't know..keep on going and let us know...

*day 6* "Too weak...to...use....key..board...help...me..."*

:p

Go eat something!

Jaffa Cake
Oct 19, 2005, 04:39 PM
You lose credibility in other food related threads.Of which there are currently a shedload. Have a read through them, find something you like the sound of, and eat some of it. :)

Lacero
Oct 19, 2005, 04:40 PM
Sometimes fasting for a week is good for the body.

dubbz
Oct 19, 2005, 04:43 PM
I've gone through a couple (many, actually) of 24h++ periods without eating anything. You won't die or anything (yet). Don't delay it too long though. And DO drink. That's more important in the "short term".

Don't panic
Oct 19, 2005, 04:53 PM
so yea, what happens if you don't eat?

eventually, you die.

of course since this is true also if you do eat, it logically follows that eating is futile.

PlaceofDis
Oct 19, 2005, 04:58 PM
eh, i regularly go a few days here and there with no food in me. why? i dont know, partly because there is nothing appealing around, and partly because i just don't notice it.

i eat one full meal a day, snack a bit for the rest of the day if i am hungry.

i know that my eating habits are considered horrible, and that its not good for me, but i haven't lost any of my muscle mass, and i actually have more energy and feel better about myself than ever before, but i am no guide to go by on this.

the past 24 hours as an example:
last night i had some pizza for dinner, maybe some chips later on as a snack, and have had nothing to eat all day today, will be having some dinner in a bit when i get around to cooking.

thats everyday for me. eh im just wierd (being depressed doesnt help i suppose)

Dagless
Oct 19, 2005, 05:08 PM
well i gave in! 10 minutes ago I had a bacon butty, real butter, english muffins (god that sounds like its from a Carry On film) and yea. just nice :)

My mum said that not eating does some detox thing to your body and is recommended to fast for a day every so often.

my stats now are;
no sleep> 49 hours (i just wanted to beat 48 :D)
no food> 29 hours
no drink> probably 30 minutes :P
no football> a decade!

my usual eating habits are no breakfast, little dinner, huge tea. ive been exactly 10 stone for the past 5 years.

wdlove
Oct 19, 2005, 05:42 PM
I don't really remember going very long without food. The stomach growls and you feel hungry. Survivor training in the Air Force during Nurse Flight School, was a time of going longer without food. We had to scrounge for food.

skunk
Oct 19, 2005, 07:22 PM
Nothing wrong with fasting for a week at a time, as long as you drink.

Flenz
Oct 19, 2005, 07:59 PM
eventually, you die.

of course since this is true also if you do eat, it logically follows that eating is futile.

This actually made me laugh out loud :)

Flenz

Giaguara
Oct 19, 2005, 08:29 PM
Believe me, you dpn't want *MY* answer in this thread.

As long as you know how to play your cards, you are fine. When you lose your cards, you are gone. Weight is VERY limited concept in that. /forced smile.

rye9
Oct 19, 2005, 09:00 PM
Nothing really will happen if u dont eat for a day. U will get hungry but ull be fine as long as u dont become anorexic. :D Then u have a mental disorder. But in general, dont worry about not eating for a day ,it wont harm u one bit. Some of my friends arent anorexic but look it, its really gross. Their ribs stick out and everything.

EJBasile
Oct 19, 2005, 09:14 PM
You will...
Be Hungary
After a while though (4 days or so) your hunger pains won't be as strong
Lose Muscle because your body will "eat" it
Become weak
Possibly start to hallucinate

Make sure you drink a lot. You can only go 3-4 days without water, but much longer with out water. I remember I had a text book in Med School that said "Symptoms of Dehydration: 1) Thirst....." (haha, thirst?, really? I never would have guessed!)

Humans (and domesticated animals) are not really supposed to eat 3 times a day. If you look in nature, some animals go days with out eating. Ever wonder why a dog will eat and eat and eat and beg for food its because its instinct is telling it that there might not be food tomorrow for it to eat.

I don't know why you would want to not eat though. It is uncomfortable and unhealthy. Not eating one day is going to hurt you, two days no, three days your body will start to realize "hey I'm not getting any nutrients, better look somewhere else other than my small intestines". Day 4 your be tired and week, probably have lost a few pounds.

Not only do I know this from text books, but I've witnessed it first hand. I got food poisoning a couple years ago from some food at a wedding. The specific virus that I had was a really bad case of gastroenteritis, swelling of the stomach and intestines. Basically what ever I at I threw up and what ever old food and bile that was in my stomach was crapped/thrown up. This includes water so I was very dehydrated. I was sick for 5 days before I went to the hospital where I stayed overnight and got fluids and antibiotics. On the fourth day I had no energy, not even enought to stand up for very long. I hallucinated a little too and lost a little weight. If I had not recieved medicine I could have easily died.

True.B
Apr 17, 2007, 03:09 AM
Hey:)
Well i've got the same question.(Well about)
I cant talk to my real friends about this, so i thought that i might ask her and hope for an answer. the thing is that I've decided that i'm not going to eat for awhile, well its not me its just my body. I cant handle it anymore. Sometimes i stop eating and sometimes i start again.
Its just something that have started to happen over and over again. Iím just 15 and I know that at this age people start to think about what they eat and that kind of stuff, but I donít really care. I try to ignore the tiny little voice that keeps telling me not to eat. Everyday, everymorning and everynight its just the same thing. I keep thinking about food food food, What Iíve ate and whats going to happen.
I dont know what to do, i just need an good answer to what happens.:confused:
I saw some answers, but is it really impossible that I could die?:O

iBlue
Apr 17, 2007, 03:17 AM
Hey:)
Well i've got the same question.(Well about)
I cant talk to my real friends about this, so i thought that i might ask her and hope for an answer. the thing is that I've decided that i'm not going to eat for awhile, well its not me its just my body. I cant handle it anymore. Sometimes i stop eating and sometimes i start again.
Its just something that have started to happen over and over again. Iím just 15 and I know that at this age people start to think about what they eat and that kind of stuff, but I donít really care. I try to ignore the tiny little voice that keeps telling me not to eat. Everyday, everymorning and everynight its just the same thing. I keep thinking about food food food, What Iíve ate and whats going to happen.
I dont know what to do, i just need an good answer to what happens.:confused:
I saw some answers, but is it really impossible that I could die?:O

Why?

(really, what are you trying to accomplish?)

miloblithe
Apr 17, 2007, 03:37 AM
Nothing wrong with fasting for a week at a time, as long as you drink.

Perhaps if you're trying to get the British out of your country, but otherwise...

True.B
Apr 17, 2007, 03:46 AM
Why?

(really, what are you trying to accomplish?)

I really dont know.
Its just something that keeps happening
Maybe it is becuase i was not comfortable with how i looked before, but now i really dont care and this wont go away.

takao
Apr 17, 2007, 04:23 AM
this thread is right up there with the "Bacon" thread of all food related threads

MongoTheGeek
Apr 17, 2007, 07:23 AM
I really dont know.
Its just something that keeps happening
Maybe it is becuase i was not comfortable with how i looked before, but now i really dont care and this wont go away.

This sounds like anorexia. Google Karen Carpenter. I understand wanting to look good but a lot of young women and some young men for that matter start obsessing about it to the point where they stop eating and start suffering from malnutrition.

I know what its like to not want to eat, but if you are constantly thinking about food its probably a sign that you should eat more.

I would suggest that you find a height weight chart and find the range of normal and weigh yourself daily. Any time you fall into the bottom quarter of the weight range (no bulking up with water!) you make it a point to eat extra. For instance if for your height 115-135 was "normal" eat extra if you fall below 120. Also make sure you take a multi-vitamen every day.

thedude110
Apr 17, 2007, 08:24 AM
Hi True.

If you're not sure of your motivations but are feeling a compulsion (especially a compulsion that could be self-destructive), the best thing you can do is confide in someone who can help you. How well do you know your school nurse, your school counselor or your guidance counselor? These would all be good people to talk to. If you can't talk to any of them, talk to a teacher you can trust.

I think your initial goal in any conversation should be to learn to understand yourself a little bit better. It's normal to be confused -- the question you have to ask is: Who can I trust to help me work through my confusion(s)?

We can try to help you here (people already have, and I'm sure more will), but not in the same way that a "real person" in the "real world" can.

All best.

True.B
Apr 17, 2007, 11:27 AM
Lol
I'm sure its not anorexia or something like that.
All i'm trying to say or wonder is what really happens?
I mean can i really die?

vniow
Apr 17, 2007, 11:30 AM
I mean can i really die?

If you don't eat that's a certainty.

bartelby
Apr 17, 2007, 11:33 AM
Lol
I mean can i really die?

If you don't eat that's a certainty.

And it's a none to pleasant way to go either. Your body starts to consume itself in an effort to survive. After a while organs fail & your blood gets poisoned etc.

Raid
Apr 17, 2007, 12:32 PM
I cant talk to my real friends about this, so i thought that i might ask her and hope for an answer. the thing is that I've decided that i'm not going to eat for awhile, well its not me its just my body.Sorry, but what do you mean? Do you feel sick after you eat?

I try to ignore the tiny little voice that keeps telling me not to eat. Everyday, everymorning and everynight its just the same thing. I keep thinking about food food food, What I’ve ate and whats going to happen. Hearing this again is scary, I grew up with this girl across the street who started having those same feelings... by the time she was 17-18 she was in a hospital being treated for anorexia. :( Not eating is not the answer, eat healthy and develop good habits...If this is something that's really bugging you, talk to your parents or a doctor, and make them listen!

leekohler
Apr 17, 2007, 12:35 PM
Lol
I mean can i really die?

Uh... yes you can. Or worse, you could really mess yourself up and have to live with it the rest of your life. Please talk to to someone about this soon.

szark
Apr 17, 2007, 12:56 PM
Lol

Anorexia and other eating disorders tend to work into your life slowly without you noticing. Don't be so sure that it can't be an eating disorder.

Definitely find someone to talk to -- a doctor or a counselor who is familiar with eating disorders. Even if you don't think you have one, they can help you find out for certain.

jsw
Apr 17, 2007, 01:01 PM
I try to ignore the tiny little voice that keeps telling me not to eat.
This is a sign that you need to talk to someone knowledgeable about eating disorders. People who are overweight and on a doctor-approved diet can listen to voices like that, I suppose. I suspect you're neither overweight nor on a doctor-approved diet, so such voices are destructive and a sign of a deeper issue.

Please seek some sort of assistance if at all possible. Listen to voices telling you not to eat bad food only if you listen also to urges to eat healthy food.

True.B
Apr 17, 2007, 01:40 PM
Well, I once tried to talk to a nurse and she was like "just eat" and she probably thought that what was happening to me wasnt a big thing and i think just the same but when i saw this thread i just started to wonder if i could die if it really was that importnt.
I really appreciate all this. I never thought that it would be such a big deal, but after trying once to talk to someone and got nodded like that, I dont think i'll be able to talk to anyone else. Not even my friends or my family have noticed what's happening to me, and i can't talk to them becuase i've tried and they say the say "just eat, what's the big deal?".
Anyway Thanks.

MongoTheGeek
Apr 17, 2007, 02:26 PM
I really appreciate all this. I never thought that it would be such a big deal, but after trying once to talk to someone and got nodded like that, I dont think i'll be able to talk to anyone else. Not even my friends or my family have noticed what's happening to me, and i can't talk to them becuase i've tried and they say the say "just eat, what's the big deal?".
Anyway Thanks.

You have to force yourself to eat. I know there have been times where I was only hungry when I was eating. Eat even though you aren't hungry adn it will feel more natural.

szark
Apr 17, 2007, 06:23 PM
Not even my friends or my family have noticed what's happening to me, and i can't talk to them becuase i've tried and they say the say "just eat, what's the big deal?".

That's why you need to talk to someone who understands eating disorders. Someone who will actually understand what you're going through.

Your location says you're in Sweden, so you might want to check out this site (http://www.atstorning.se/). Perhaps it can help you find someone to talk to.

True.B
Apr 18, 2007, 04:25 AM
That's why you need to talk to someone who understands eating disorders. Someone who will actually understand what you're going through.

Your location says you're in Sweden, so you might want to check out this site (http://www.atstorning.se/). Perhaps it can help you find someone to talk to.

Thanks

Thalia
Jun 29, 2011, 08:19 AM
I stopped eating and drinking. I regularly go for 60 hours without water, without food (once a week). During starvation, I go running 3 times a day
(I eat only 4 days per week). Its possible to go 21 days without water. This method of detox is from a famous medical system, and releases huge energy reserves, mental speed/ability, and reverses aging. Just observe living testimonies... why did most of the WW2 survivors (of catastrophic starvation) live well into their 90's....!!!?? :cool:

skunk
Jun 29, 2011, 08:56 AM
Its possible to go 21 days without water.Sure, it's possible, but to what end?

notjustjay
Jun 29, 2011, 09:33 AM
I stopped eating and drinking. I regularly go for 60 hours without water, without food (once a week). During starvation, I go running 3 times a day
(I eat only 4 days per week). Its possible to go 21 days without water. This method of detox is from a famous medical system, and releases huge energy reserves, mental speed/ability, and reverses aging. Just observe living testimonies... why did most of the WW2 survivors (of catastrophic starvation) live well into their 90's....!!!?? :cool:

First post, join date of today, to bring up a 4-year-old thread so you can add questionable medical advice? Hmm...

vincenz
Jun 29, 2011, 10:25 AM

Maybe if you were a hunter-gatherer... I take it that most people here grew up with a refrigerator though. I can't imagine fasting for even a day, less a week :confused:

-aggie-
Jun 29, 2011, 10:40 AM
......Its possible to go 21 days without water. This method of detox is from a famous medical system, and releases huge energy reserves, mental speed/ability, and reverses aging......

I think you meant "stops aging.". As in you stop aging when you die. Brilliant!!!

dejo
Jun 29, 2011, 10:47 AM
I'm still waiting for the spam link from Thalia that tells us how we can sign up for a free, limited-time trial to learn more about this "famous medical system".

iJohnHenry
Jun 29, 2011, 11:39 AM
... why did most of the WW2 survivors (of catastrophic starvation) live well into their 90's....!!!?? :cool:

Because they were strong enough to survive starvation.

The others just died.

skunk
Jun 29, 2011, 12:05 PM
Because they were strong enough to survive starvation.

The others just died.
That's not all there is to it, though. I remember reading a study in which rats fed a bare minimum "starvation diet" lived significantly longer than those with plenty of food. Makes sense, really: a hell of a lot of energy is used in digestion of unnecessary food. Near-starvation makes the body more efficient in its uptake of nutrients.

Mousse
Jun 29, 2011, 12:26 PM
That's not all there is to it, though. I remember reading a study in which rats fed a bare minimum "starvation diet" lived significantly longer than those with plenty of food. Makes sense, really: a hell of a lot of energy is used in digestion of unnecessary food. Near-starvation makes the body more efficient in its uptake of nutrients.

I've read about that Calorie Restriction diet stuff a few years back. I'm still on the fence regarding its validity. But if it's true, there will be less protein available to make the poo-poo burger. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1171910)

(marc)
Jun 29, 2011, 03:53 PM

[...] My mum said that not eating does some detox thing to your body and is recommended to fast for a day every so often. [...]

Keep in mind that the entire detox idea has been proven to be wrong.