Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Pretty obvious question. It seems that the older the phone gets, less functionality is there. I'm pretty pissed.

Here's how I used to do it: enable Microsoft Exchange. But that seems no longer to work, it revokes password (and yes I checked multiple times I'm putting the right password there) every time. I enabled 2-step verification on Google but that doesnt seem to help. I also tried putting SSL port (443) in Advanced tab but nothing works. I remember that this used to work because I used the phone 1 year ago to sync my mail, contacts and calendars flawlessly.

Using CardDAV doesnt work either because its supported only for iOS 5+ devices, it also gives me incorrect password error.

This totally sucks. Is there a way to do this, or an app? I saw some apps but they all require iOS 4+. I don't want to upgrade to this iOS, it's painfully slow.

Also, don't be an a$$ by telling me to purchase newer iPhone. I don't want to.

I guess I could sync the contacts by cable, but to make matters worse, it will be syncing with a PC on Windows 7 so I guess I need to use one of those weird Contact apps so iTunes can reach it, right?

Please help someone.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I'm confused, you're complaining that the phone losses functionality because of its age and it upsets you, yet you don't want to upgrade to a newer phone?

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
I'm confused, you're complaining that the phone losses functionality because of its age and it upsets you, yet you don't want to upgrade to a newer phone?

Yes thats right I am. This feature worked on the phone for past 4 years,why do I have to lose it? It was there in the first place. How would you feel if you lost such a basic feature on your phone?

I know its more of a rant against Google. So if anyone has a solution for this I would be glad to hear it.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
I may be misremembering this but doesn't setting it up using the built-in Gmail option in Settings give you the option to sync contacts and calendars too?

Edit: Nevermind, I was wrong! Just mail, calendar and notes

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I may be misremembering this but doesn't setting it up using the built-in Gmail option in Settings give you the option to sync contacts and calendars too?
Calendar only.

----------

Yes thats right I am. This feature worked on the phone for past 4 years,why do I have to lose it? It was there in the first place. How would you feel if you lost such a basic feature on your phone?

I know its more of a rant against Google. So if anyone has a solution for this I would be glad to hear it.

Outlook.com email/contacts.

Convert. Many are. Free, and you can have a custom domain.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012

The only way you can use Microsoft Exchange with Gmail without forwarding or completely switching email providers is to upgrade your gmail to a business account and pay $5 a month.

Or you can move your contacts to another provider and just sync contacts. Either iCloud or outlook.com would work for that purpose.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
The only way you can use Microsoft Exchange with Gmail without forwarding or completely switching email providers is to upgrade your gmail to a business account and pay $5 a month.

Or you can move your contacts to another provider and just sync contacts. Either iCloud or outlook.com would work for that purpose.

iCloud is out of the question, not supported on this device. Outlook.com... maybe. But how would Outlook fix the syncing problem, wouldn't I have to use Exchange anyway? Or is this "incompatibility" only in Gmail?

You probably thought of syncing via USB cable.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
iCloud is out of the question, not supported on this device. Outlook.com... maybe. But how would Outlook fix the syncing problem, wouldn't I have to use Exchange anyway? Or is this "incompatibility" only in Gmail?

You probably thought of syncing via USB cable.

Gmail stopped supporting it on free accounts. outlook.com is a Microsoft domain and supports exchange.

lilolbear

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
Use Itunes. I just did for an old iPhone 3 with 3.1.3 on it and it sets up an ActiveSync account for you that magically works.

pirlouwi

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
Use Itunes. I just did for an old iPhone 3 with 3.1.3 on it and it sets up an ActiveSync account for you that magically works.

Hi,
could you explain how I can use iTunes for this purpose?
How is it setting up an activesync account for me?

chrisql

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
me too,I know its more of a rant against Google. So if anyone has a solution for this I would be glad to hear it
lv9Y

reukiodo

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2013
Earth
iOS 3 Google Sync Solution

me too,I know its more of a rant against Google. So if anyone has a solution for this I would be glad to hear itImage

This might be quite delayed, but in case anyone else finds this thread looking for a solution, I found it at http://iphone-contacts.blogspot.com/p/iphone-contacts-sync-with-gmail.html

Basically:
Add Exchange mail account
xxx@gmail.com
no domain
username/password
NEXT
wait for certificate error
cancel
m.google.com (Server)

And you do NOT need a business account to do this. I do not have a business account and just set working gmail sync up on an original iPhone (2G).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.