PDA

View Full Version : New iPhone Passcode Security Flaw Discovered in iOS 6.1.3

MacRumors
Mar 20, 2013, 02:18 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/20/new-iphone-4-passcode-security-flaw-discovered-in-ios-6-1-3/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/voicecontrol.jpgFollowing yesterday's release of iOS 6.1.3 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/19/apple-releases-ios-6-1-3-with-passcode-bug-fix-and-japanese-maps-enhancements/), which fixed two bugs (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/25/second-lock-screen-bypass-in-ios-6-1-documented/) allowing the iPhone's passcode lock to be bypassed (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/14/ios-6-1-bug-enables-bypassing-passcode-lock-to-access-phone-and-contacts/), another passcode security flaw has been discovered.

The vulnerability, which only affects the iPhone 4, involves the Voice Dial command, as demonstrated in the video below from YouTube user videosdebarraquito (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QCGJTuTZf8M).

iPhoneinCanada (http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/ios/confirmed-ios-6-1-3-has-another-passcode-security-flaw/) tested the method in the video using an iPhone 4 running iOS 6.1.3 and found that the security flaw does indeed exist, giving a potential intruder access to both contacts and photos.

Like the previous passcode vulnerability, the current hack involves a complicated set of steps that includes initiating Voice Dial command and quickly ejecting the phone's SIM card.

QCGJTuTZf8M
When the SIM card is removed, the phone opens the recent call log, which gives access to the contact list. In the contact list, adding a photo also gives access to all of the pictures on the device.

The previous passcode vulnerability was discovered in mid-February, and it took Apple more than a month to push a fix. An update for the current bypass could follow a similar timeline, but the vulnerability can be fixed by disabling Voice Dial from the Passcode Lock menu.

At this time, the vulnerability has only been shown to work with the iPhone 4. We were unable to reproduce the results with an iPhone 5 with Siri disabled, though the bug may potentially affect the pre-Siri iPhone 3GS as well.

Update 1:07 PM: iPhoneBlog.de reports (http://www.iphoneblog.de/2013/03/20/passcode-bug-auch-unter-ios-6-1-3/) that it has reproduced the issue on an iPhone 5 with Siri disabled, although we have still been unable to do so.

Article Link: New iPhone Passcode Security Flaw Discovered in iOS 6.1.3 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/20/new-iphone-4-passcode-security-flaw-discovered-in-ios-6-1-3/)

ZacNicholson
Mar 20, 2013, 02:18 PM
wow that was fast

iGuardian
Mar 20, 2013, 02:22 PM
This is ridiculous. I understand that this is insecure but who the hell comes up with such an elaborate way to access just your phone and photos? Your phone's still safe from the average Joe.

EmbraceTheOne
I don't see the big deal in this...

Radio
Meh who cares

MattMJB0188
Mar 20, 2013, 02:25 PM
Does anyone even use the iPhone 4 anymore?

troop231
Mar 20, 2013, 02:25 PM
Wow, who figures this stuff out?

What's next? Stand on your head, rub your stomach while ejecting the SIM 3 times with 1.5 second pauses in between each one.

:rolleyes:

anberlinairlift
Mar 20, 2013, 02:27 PM
I'm just glad that Macrumors posted this. Complicated as it is, we want to make sure that criminals everywhere with stolen iPhone 4's will have no trouble accessing them.

/sarcasm

lunaoso

It's crazy but people still even buy them. And then they complain that it's too slow. :eek:

roxxette

What's next? Stand on your head, rub your stomach while ejecting the SIM 3 times with 1.5 second pauses in between each one.

Hahaha was thinking the same thing, dont kmow how they figure this stuff out !

WatchTheThrone
So expect 6.1.4 next week lol and 6.1.5 the week after that and so on and so forth....

jmcrutch
Are they using code to figure these out or is someone that bored that they'll employ the trial and error method? There must be a million different possible combinations of things you can try together, literally, in order to discover such a vulnerability.

M-O
Mar 20, 2013, 02:28 PM
perhaps they can fix this security hole by replacing the voice control feature on iPhone 4 with Siri.

...just a thought.

Idgit
Mar 20, 2013, 02:29 PM
Not sure if you're joking or not. In Canada, we have 3-year contracts so many of us are still using the iPhone 4. My contract doesn't expire until this August.

jmcrutch
Mar 20, 2013, 02:29 PM
Up down up down left right left right B A start ...

joelvega125
Mar 20, 2013, 02:30 PM
the people who figure out this crap are idiots. If I lose my phone I'm effed anyway. The old "voice dial paperclip sim tray pop out" trick will be the least of my worries.

RenoG
Mar 20, 2013, 02:30 PM
Yeah and thank you for putting the wonderful new quick and easy how-to out for all to see on bypassing the passcode. Now every savy iphone thief and hacker can go back to business as usual.

goobot
Mar 20, 2013, 02:31 PM
Wouldn't this effect the 3GS as well considering it has the same type voice control?

M-O
Mar 20, 2013, 02:31 PM
It's crazy but people still even buy them. And then they complain that it's too slow. :eek:

I just got one a few months ago (second hand). I don't feel it's too slow. Sure, it's slower than iPhone 5, but it's plenty fast for me.

still, if i were going to buy one on contract i'd definitely go with the 5.

troop231
Mar 20, 2013, 02:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bByE7n2AJj4#t=400s

:p

tevion5
Mar 20, 2013, 02:33 PM

Millions

PinoyAko
Mar 20, 2013, 02:34 PM
iPhone 4 has a Siri?

RenoG
Mar 20, 2013, 02:35 PM

Iphones don't suddenly expire when a new comes out you know...My wife has a 4 and it works perfectly, she has absolutely no desire or need whatsoever to upgrade..for what!

PinoyAko
Mar 20, 2013, 02:35 PM

Excuse me, 2.3 seconds not 1.5 seconds.

iMikeT
Mar 20, 2013, 02:36 PM
Who used Voice Command before Siri?

mrgraff
Mar 20, 2013, 02:36 PM

Almost got it...;)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e2/Konami_Code.svg/500px-Konami_Code.svg.png

jackhdev
Mar 20, 2013, 02:37 PM
Can someone explain this to me? I thought that the data on an iOS device was "encrypted." How do these hacks and Siri work if the device is locked, or is the data really not protected?

gotluck
Mar 20, 2013, 02:38 PM
how lovely, how about you enable siri to fix the problem..
bah, I don't care about siri anyway.

jm001
Mar 20, 2013, 02:38 PM
Not sure if you're joking or not. In Canada, we have 3-year contracts so many of us are still using the iPhone 4. My contract doesn't expire until this August.

First of all the iPhone 4 is still a decent phone. I gave mine to my bro when I updated to the 5 and he enjoys using it.

Secondly those 3 year contracts are really two when you take into account that the major carriers will allow you to upgrade without penalty after 2 years. That's how I got my 5 on launch day while in my second year of my contract.

As for the security flaw, again keep your phone safe on you and you wont need to worry.

Candlelight
Mar 20, 2013, 02:42 PM

Our company uses iPhone 4's predominantly because they work and any new version of iPhone doesn't really add anything new to the mix (the whole 'stagnant innovation' thing people keep mentioning is part of it).

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone races out to buy a new iPhone as soon as it's released.

Heck, most people I know still run Snow Leopard because much of the software we use won't work beyond Lion. It's not worth it.

----------

almost got it...;)
image (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e2/konami_code.svg/500px-konami_code.svg.png)

lol.

bcfran
Mar 20, 2013, 02:43 PM
My iphone 4s has siri, and I no longer using it as a phone.
It has been replaced with Blackberry Z10.
Iphone is my new ipod touch without a sim card.

Mar 20, 2013, 02:43 PM

Jeez, for months it was "Apple doesn't need a low-cost phone. That's what the iPhone 4 and 4s are for." Now when another security flaw is uncovered, it's "Does anyone even use the iPhone 4?"

Diode
Mar 20, 2013, 02:44 PM
This is ridiculous. I understand that this is insecure but who the hell comes up with such an elaborate way to access just your phone and photos? Your phone's still safe from the average Joe.

Unless he or she has access to the internet.

TheRainKing
Mar 20, 2013, 02:46 PM

I still use a 3GS. :mad:

lucasfer899
Mar 20, 2013, 02:47 PM

My granny uses a first gen on iPhone OS 2.something. Yeah.

sbailey4
Mar 20, 2013, 02:48 PM
OK i remember that but where was it used? Thats an old school deal there!

Portaluk
Mar 20, 2013, 02:50 PM

Bought one for my wife last Christmas so its not even six months old yet.

UnfetteredMind
Mar 20, 2013, 02:50 PM

Me :) Wife is using my old 3g too, lol

Arran
Mar 20, 2013, 02:53 PM
Secondly those 3 year contracts are really two when you take into account that the major carriers will allow you to upgrade without penalty after 2 years.

That's pretty clever of the carriers. After two years you can re-commit to them for a further contract period (calling it a penalty-free 'upgrade' makes it sound like they're doing you a favor).

OTOH, if you want to go to a competing carrier then you have to wait an extra year and stick with your old phone. Very clever indeed. I'm surprised they haven't caught on down here.

coolfactor
Mar 20, 2013, 03:02 PM

And I just renewed my Rogers contract for 3 years on an iPhone 4, but only because I gave the iPhone 5 to my friend as a gift, and took his 4. :)

----------

My iphone 4s has siri, and I no longer using it as a phone.
It has been replaced with Blackberry Z10.
Iphone is my new ipod touch without a sim card.

How are finding the Z10? Did you go Blackberry out of loyalty to a Canadian company, or do you actually like BB?

----------

Can someone explain this to me? I thought that the data on an iOS device was "encrypted." How do these hacks and Siri work if the device is locked, or is the data really not protected?

The data is stored in an encrypted format on the device (in the flash memory), but the operating system can decrypt it at any time. That's all you're seeing here.

fruitpunch.ben
Mar 20, 2013, 03:03 PM

My wife has my 3GS, but the wifi is broken (probably jarred loose from too many drops, it turns on but cannot find any networks) and we don't pay for any data, so it's a dumbphone with some games on it for my 2 year old occasionally. She just uses it as a phone, and the iPad is hers for any other stuff. But I'm not too worried about this flaw. If anyone was this technologically inclined to be able to use this hack, they could probably hack my password without too much trouble. So they have all my friends numbers. Oh well, sorry!

spacerays
Mar 20, 2013, 03:04 PM
Hahaha was thinking the same thing, dont kmow how they figure this stuff out !

It should be code analysis. By checking how control flows among different methods being called in execution, a clever programmer can find loopholes to exploit like this one.

Shrink
Mar 20, 2013, 03:05 PM

Nope, no one uses iPhone 4 any more. Everybody has plenty of money lying about so that when a new phone comes out, they just throw away their old, crappy phone and pony up for a new one.

And those who still use that old crap...well, the hell with them, anyway!

ArtOfWarfare
Mar 20, 2013, 03:07 PM
I would be interested in knowing how such vulnerabilities are found.

I'm also a bit interested in knowing how such vulnerabilities come to exist... I feel like with a few simple state variables (IE, how about one that just says whether the iPhone has a password and a second for whether its been unlocked? Any calls for data not available from the lock screen put the iPhone in an invalid state and reset it to the lock screen?) such vulnerabilities shouldn't exist.

nutmac
Mar 20, 2013, 03:09 PM
I don't see the big deal in this...

If you lose your phone with sensitive info, you probably don't want someone else accessing sensitive info. And if the thief circumvents Find My iPhone (removes the SIM card, makes sure the phone isn't joined to WiFi), your last point of defense is passcode lock. The last thing you want in that case is a passcode security flaw.

At the very least, I don't see any harm in someone going through all the trouble to find a flaw such as this.

iDemiurge
Mar 20, 2013, 03:11 PM

Jeez... what kind of comment is that?

Mine works like a champ...

blogcraft
Mar 20, 2013, 03:11 PM
It doesn't surprise me at all, after all, they haven't fixed yet the alarm bug for 3 years.. still gets goes off without sound in 6.1.3.

C DM
Mar 20, 2013, 03:15 PM
Considering how quickly this was published (with a video and everything) essentially less than a day after iOS 6.1.3 was released, I wonder if this flaw existed even prior to iOS 6.1.3.

KALLT
Mar 20, 2013, 03:17 PM

Welcome to the Apple community where you wouldn't want to be caught dead with an older Apple device.

wkadamsjr
Mar 20, 2013, 03:26 PM
Nope, no one uses iPhone 4 any more. Everybody has plenty of money lying about so that when a new phone comes out, they just throw away their old, crappy phone and pony up for a new one.

And those who still use that old crap...well, the hell with them, anyway!

Actually, it is more cost-effective to sell your 2 year old iPhone when the contract is up and upgrade. You can usually sell the old one on eBay for $250-ish (done this twice now, with a 3G and a 4). Of course, this assumes you like your carrier and aren't opposed to ponying up for another 2 year contract.

And yes, you still pay a subsidy even when your 2 year contract is up. I know because I got an iPhone 4 day one, and my bill didn't go down for the few months my contract was expired before upgrading to the 5.

B4U
Mar 20, 2013, 03:30 PM
For the PSP version, they have changed it to Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, L, R.
Maybe I shall save this for the next exploit?

NewAnger
Mar 20, 2013, 03:31 PM

The 4 is still available on the Apple site for free with two year contract.

Stella
Mar 20, 2013, 03:32 PM
As predicted, the first page or so is "Shoot the messenger".

I'm happy this vulnerability has been found - Apple can now fix it.

I would be interested in knowing how such vulnerabilities are found.

Could be someone's job.

Bearxor
Mar 20, 2013, 03:53 PM
So if I'm reading this right, then Verizon and Sprint iPhone 4's are not affected, correct?

Candlelight
Mar 20, 2013, 04:11 PM
Could be someone's job.

I can just imagine someone sitting there with an iPhone making all sorts of spastic moves on a phone and going 'oh yeah, found another one...'. :D

4TheLoveOfTech
Mar 20, 2013, 04:27 PM
I find it pretty hard to believe that MacRumors posted this story in "More MacRumors Stories".

It's not just the iPhone 4 it's the iPhone 5 as well.

This should be a feature article not "Oh, by the way... Your iPhone has another security flaw the day after Apple fixed the last security flaw.

Companies have high level cell numbers in their contacts and many have secure photos as well.

Apple continues to drop the ball. Maybe Tim Cook and group should be worried less about slamming Samsung and more about the security of their own phone.

ChristianJapan
Mar 20, 2013, 04:34 PM

My boss, my colleagues, myself ... It's still a good phone. Meanwhile the contract would allow us to change but right now we have other priorities given. So now wait for summer and try it again. But the 4 still work very well.

bbfc
Mar 20, 2013, 04:36 PM
Iphones don't suddenly expire when a new comes out you know...My wife has a 4 and it works perfectly, she has absolutely no desire or need whatsoever to upgrade..for what!

I love my iPhone 4. My contract is due up for renewal in April and I have no intention of upgrading anytime soon.

MattMJB0188
Mar 20, 2013, 04:48 PM

It was sarcasm, ;)

gotluck
Mar 20, 2013, 04:48 PM
Actually, it is more cost-effective to sell your 2 year old iPhone when the contract is up and upgrade. You can usually sell the old one on eBay for $250-ish (done this twice now, with a 3G and a 4). Of course, this assumes you like your carrier and aren't opposed to ponying up for another 2 year contract.

And yes, you still pay a subsidy even when your 2 year contract is up. I know because I got an iPhone 4 day one, and my bill didn't go down for the few months my contract was expired before upgrading to the 5.

Yep, in the US they essentially force the upgrade as the best financial decision.

I was at the end of the 2 year mark with AT&T and called pissed that they don't reduce the rate due to the exhaustion of the subsidy. So I went prepaid with my 4 instead of buying a new phone.

If one intends on staying with their carrier, you should really sell your current phone and upgrade at every renewal. Or at the very least, pick up a 4S when it gets pushed to the Free w/ Contract slot.

Smartass
Mar 20, 2013, 05:14 PM
no, everybody on the planet threw their iphone 4 to trash the same day iphone 5 came out.

and dont try to talk yourself out of this with sarcasm, because it's not ;)

Jethryn Freyman
Mar 20, 2013, 05:18 PM
Can't believe so many people are blowing this off because they consider it such a "complicated" way to gain access to an iPhone.

It's not complicated. Who cares how it was figured out?

I doubt that some kid sits in his basement rubbing his iPhone in different ways trying to find a way to crack it.

It's more likely that some kind of flaw was found in the code somewhere, or they noticed something and inferred that that specific order or something like it would be able to breach the iOS security model.

Brother Esau
Mar 20, 2013, 05:20 PM
Meh who cares

Ummm...hello, I do and so many other millions of people!

Chris.L
Mar 20, 2013, 06:00 PM
The data is stored in an encrypted format on the device (in the flash memory), but the operating system can decrypt it at any time. That's all you're seeing here.

This is true but only for Mail and applications using the data protection API. Not all data is encrypted permanently when the device is running

And this is important for those with corporate data on their device who might hold sensitive data. Those that might actually be targeted such as a CEO etc

I reckon we will see more like this as a lot of worldwide businesses introduce the iPhone as a corporate device

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 20, 2013, 06:08 PM
Cool now use that flaw to JB 6.1.3 for us idiots that somehow managed to update :D

baryon
Mar 20, 2013, 06:22 PM
Voice control? Wasn't that replaced by Siri?

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 20, 2013, 06:33 PM
Voice control? Wasn't that replaced by Siri?
That was Siri's predecessor.

Also there are quite a few other "vulnerabilities" I found that may be worth considering. Where would/should I post those?

irDigital0l
Mar 20, 2013, 06:47 PM

According to Apple yea.

Hey the iPhone 4 is even more popular than the iPhone 5 for a camera.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/why-iphone/

You act like everyone religiously upgrades their perfectly good iPhone every year to get the latest one.

Normal people usually use their iPhone for 2 years and then upgrade.

Insecure tech nerds upgrade every year thinking they can beat the rate of technology.

ijohn.8.80
Mar 20, 2013, 06:51 PM
And there was Apple boasting that the hackers did a pretty good job finding 4 of the 6 exploits of 6.1.2... OOPS :o

C DM
Mar 20, 2013, 07:00 PM
That was Siri's predecessor.

Also there are quite a few other "vulnerabilities" I found that may be worth considering. Where would/should I post those?Seems like things are being posted in the open (YouTube, sent to tech news sites, etc.), so you might as well post them here.

That said, you can and likely should notify Apple as well--not sure if doing it simply via feedback at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ and/or by contacting some part of Apple via contact information at http://www.apple.com/contact/ would do the trick.

Lancer
Mar 20, 2013, 07:01 PM

Me too, but I can't wait for the 5s so I can upgrade :)

nagromme
Mar 20, 2013, 10:51 PM
Apple continues to drop the ball. Maybe Tim Cook and group should be worried less about slamming Samsung and more about the security of their own phone.

Or maybe Samsung's own lock-screen vulnerabilities are worse, even if the media gives them a free pass! See:

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/vulnerabilities-continue-weigh-down-samsung-android-phones-032013

linkgx1
Mar 20, 2013, 11:11 PM
Or maybe Samsung's own lock-screen vulnerabilities are worse, even if the media gives them a free pass! See:

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/vulnerabilities-continue-weigh-down-samsung-android-phones-032013

Not really when everything ``just works`` with Apple. You're talking about the same media that backed apple with their um lawsuit win.

jonnysods
Mar 20, 2013, 11:23 PM
Who tries all this stuff?

Mike MA
Mar 21, 2013, 03:14 AM

Who tries all this stuff?

Somebody being either very anxious or bored as hell.

m4ch1n3
Mar 21, 2013, 03:31 AM
what a collossal waste of my time

szw-mapple fan
Mar 21, 2013, 04:46 AM

I do.

Thinking about getting the 5s.

Bearxor
Mar 21, 2013, 06:15 AM
Has anybody been able to replicate this on a CDMA phone at all?

I tried a 4S, but since the SIM card isn't necessary for voice calls, it just connected the call and didn't give me access to the dialer.

Deadeyeshark
Mar 21, 2013, 06:40 AM
Maybe I'm a little bit cynical, but the new iPhone 5S will allegedly have a finger print sensor, couple this with the problems around passcode on an older model iPhone??

For those yet to make the leap from a 4 to a 5, it suddenly becomes more attractive to move from a 4 to 5S - passcoding problems become a thing of the past when replaced with the fingerprint sensor. Anyone else think the flaws could be a deliberate marketing ploy? May seem a little too early to do this, but also less obvious had it been nearer the time.

galrito
Mar 21, 2013, 07:01 AM

Well, I certainly don't, I use an iPhone 3GS.

XboxMySocks
Mar 21, 2013, 07:09 AM

More than half the people I know with iPhones (re: a lot of people) still use the 4. In fact, I have one (that isn't mine) sitting on my workbench right now that I'm repairing.

Squilly
Mar 21, 2013, 07:21 AM
No idea how someone figured this out lol

AnonMac50
Mar 21, 2013, 07:35 AM
Who used Voice Command before Siri?

I still use it, and it's on a Siri capable device.

RenoG
Mar 21, 2013, 08:39 AM
It was sarcasm, ;)

Really? Its getting more and more difficult to discern around here..

CylonGlitch
Mar 21, 2013, 09:05 AM
The issue isn't so much about someone accidentally stumbling upon this and gaining access to your phone. It is about criminals who steal phones all the time; if they have a way to bypass the lock screen they can then remove all restrictions and reset the phone at their convenience. It also gives them access to all your personal information. At least if it is completely locked they would could only do a full reset and start from there; meaning your personal information was never compromised.

BUT, personally there are those who steal phones to resell them, I don't think these are often the same people who steal personal information to abuse it. It could be, but the numbers are much more slim. Most thieves want a phone they can steal, wipe, and resell as fast as possible.

Val-kyrie
Mar 21, 2013, 01:19 PM

I do and I love it. It does everything I need it to do. I am actually waiting for the iPhone 5s and the low-cost iPhone to appear before deciding if I am leaving Verizon for Straight Talk.... but my two-year contract with Verizon is not up until the end of June this year and I would have to give up my unlimited (streaming) data plan :(.

Eraserhead
Mar 21, 2013, 01:28 PM
Why wouldn't you still be using an iPhone 4? It was a good phone then and its still a good phone now.

jm001
Mar 21, 2013, 07:49 PM
That's pretty clever of the carriers. After two years you can re-commit to them for a further contract period (calling it a penalty-free 'upgrade' makes it sound like they're doing you a favor).

OTOH, if you want to go to a competing carrier then you have to wait an extra year and stick with your old phone. Very clever indeed. I'm surprised they haven't caught on down here.

I was referring to the fact IF you wanted to stay with your current carrier. The choices in Canada are slim and there really isn't much competition. The major carriers are Bell and Rogers and most with smartphones usually have a contract with either one. If you wanted the latest phone without having to pay upfront the cost of a budget computer you would stick with your current carrier since neither seems to offer much difference from the other.

moonman239
Mar 21, 2013, 10:35 PM
Can a hacker bypass my passcode if I have Siri?

nsayer
Mar 22, 2013, 11:26 AM
My granny uses a first gen on iPhone OS 2.something. Yeah.

My aunt has a ROKR.

I think we're done here.

jeyf
Mar 22, 2013, 12:36 PM
for reference again
posted on the news.googles:

guardianlv.com/2013/03/apple-ios-6-1-3-flaw-easily-avoided-vs-iphone5/

CEO of apple
Mar 23, 2013, 12:37 PM
I have a iphone4 and I can even have it in my back pocket and sit on it without worrying about bending the thing like the other tv remote iPhone they got now

Dur
Mar 25, 2013, 04:42 PM
After I installed 6.1.3 my iphone 5 no longer locks after the first click; I have to click my lock button twice in order to lock it.