PDA

View Full Version : Help streaming video

jrb363
Mar 20, 2013, 11:23 PM
Hello all! I have a question regarding the ability to steam video files from my Windows 7 PC Home Group to my Macbook Air. I'm running Mac OS 10.7.5 on my 11" Air and I'm using a Netgear wireless router.

The home network is already set up and it works fine steaming videos to my Windows 7 HTPC in the living room.

The Macbook Air says 'Connection Failed' when I try to automatically connect. When I log in it gives me my Macbook Air log-in name but no matter what password I put in it won't connect. On Windows I simply put in the group name and it connected fine. :confused:

Below I have posted two screenshots of my problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mrbobb
Mar 21, 2013, 02:24 AM
So when it asks, Gimme Name/Password for minnit...blah, is asking you to identify yourself to your Windows server -> Must use a valid user account registered on the server machine, which HAS access to the shared folders.

jrb363
Mar 21, 2013, 08:19 AM
So, any idea how I would set that up on a windows 7 machine to allow Mac access? :confused:

I know I can go into settings for individual folders but that seems like such a backwards way considering the HTPC can access almost everything using one Group code.

jrb363
Mar 22, 2013, 10:57 PM
So when it asks, Gimme Name/Password for minnit...blah, is asking you to identify yourself to your Windows server -> Must use a valid user account registered on the server machine, which HAS access to the shared folders.

I don't really understand what you mean. Where would I get the user account from to register with the Windows server? All I received was a generic Home Group number that works with my HTPC. Help, anybody?

Mrbobb
Mar 23, 2013, 12:29 PM
Lets say your Mac (client machine) account is: Macuser/mypassword.

So on your Win (server machine) you go into account set up and create an account Macuser/mypassword, and give it BELONGS TO GROUP ADMINISTRATOR.

This is the easiest way because administrators automatically have access to everything, no need to give individual folders permissions.

So when you start access, use Macuser/mypassword should get you in.

jrb363
Mar 23, 2013, 11:23 PM
I got it working! Thank you so much for the help! Your most recent explanation was spot on. :)