Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
I currently have a dual 2.3 Power Mac and and I'm thinking of getting the quad. Which brings about my question.

Since Apple hardware doesn't lose that much value, is it a viable strategy to buy the top Power Mac, transfer data to it, and then sell the previous top Power Mac every worthy update or so. I'm thinking that the only downside would be a huge cash float and a ~$400 depreciation on the top model.

Does anyone currently do this? Is it better than waiting until your Mac is old and then forking over another 3 grand?

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
snkTab said:
I currently have a dual 2.3 Power Mac and and I'm thinking of getting the quad. Which brings about my question.

Since Apple hardware doesn't lose that much value, is it a viable strategy to buy the top Power Mac, transfer data to it, and then sell the previous top Power Mac every worthy update or so. I'm thinking that the only downside would be a huge cash float and a ~$400 depreciation on the top model.

Does anyone currently do this? Is it better than waiting until your Mac is old and then forking over another 3 grand?

I upgrade every 12-18 months. I sell my Mac/iPod on eBay and buy a new one. Why? Well, I never buy AppleCare when I first purchase the Mac. When the time comes that the 1-year warranty is about to expire I'd rather spend $250-$500 and just get a new machine instead of $169 on an iMac or $300 on a PowerBook. I usually end up spending b/t $50-100 when upgrading my iPod. Works for me and I get to stay up to date with my machines.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
snkTab said:
If you need the speed, it's worth it. If you don't need the speed, you may as well wait to upgrade. The fewer upgrades you do, the less it will cost you in the long run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.