PDA

View Full Version : Mailbox Fills One Million Reservations, Updates App with New Shake to Undo Feature

MacRumors
Mar 21, 2013, 08:05 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/21/mailbox-fills-one-million-reservations-updates-app-with-new-shake-to-undo-feature/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/mailbox.jpgSix weeks after launching (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/07/intuitive-email-management-app-mailbox-now-available-in-app-store/), Mailbox (http://www.mailboxapp.com) today announced (http://www.mailboxapp.com/reservations/?p=1#a-million-mailboxes-and-more) that it had fulfilled one million reservations for its popular mail management (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/13/developers-behind-orchestra-to-release-mailbox-a-new-mail-management-app/) app.

Before the app went live, Orchestra, the company behind Mailbox, implemented a reservation system (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/23/reservation-system-announced-for-upcoming-mailbox-email-app/) in order to deal with demand. Though highly criticized, Mailbox experienced only a few significant outages during the weeks after the app launched.

Last Friday, Dropbox revealed that it had purchased (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/15/dropbox-acquires-mailbox-will-accelerate-rollout/) Mailbox for a reported (http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/15/mailbox-cost-dropbox-around-100-million/) $50 to $100 million and as a result, reservations were able to be fulfilled faster thanks to Dropbox's established infrastructure.

Mailbox also launched its first major update today, adding a new shake to undo feature that will return the last deleted or archived message back to the inbox. The update also includes user interface enhancements, bug fixes, and performance optimizations.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/undo.png
What's New in Version 1.1.0
- Shake to undo!
- UI enhancements
- Bug fixes and performance optimizationsThough fulfillment times have improved, the wait list for Mailbox still sits at over 450,000 users. Mailbox (http://appshopper.com/productivity/mailbox) is a free app for the iPhone that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mailbox/id576502633?mt=8)]

Article Link: Mailbox Fills One Million Reservations, Updates App with New Shake to Undo Feature (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/21/mailbox-fills-one-million-reservations-updates-app-with-new-shake-to-undo-feature/)

Feed Me
Mar 21, 2013, 08:11 PM
Can't wait to not get this update!

TheJae
Mar 21, 2013, 08:11 PM
Slightly overrated app.

It wants to archive my entire inbox. That's not how I work. You can't go and change people's workflow.

AlexJaye
Mar 21, 2013, 08:14 PM
forget this app. lol. a "waiting line"? Seriously. I deleted it ages ago.

jacobss
Mar 21, 2013, 08:15 PM
Slightly overrated app.

It wants to archive my entire inbox. That's not how I work. You can't go and change people's workflow.

Same here, that's what I didn't like about this app and it seems to be what the app is about anyway, to clean your inbox.

impulse462
Mar 21, 2013, 08:16 PM
forget this app. lol. a "waiting line"? Seriously. I deleted it ages ago.

They did this because they wanted the service to be reliable. Even doing this they encountered errors.

Some people have no patience.

Xytal
Mar 21, 2013, 08:23 PM
Slightly overrated app.

I actually liked that a lot, cleaned up a bunch of stuff. Yea, it was a little bit of a shock, as I use labels for certain things, but I never actually used the all mail label. Once I jumped on in, it's been great. I love being able to have messages that come in to show up later in the day when I have time to deal with them.

I hate having an unread count, and Mailbox helps me deal with that nicely.

ricoism
Mar 21, 2013, 08:25 PM
try sparrow ... delete it
try mailbox... waiting... it's awesome app!

(since i use my gmail for junk newsletter spam mail)

bostonsox
Mar 21, 2013, 08:27 PM
I used it for a few days. One day, this suddenly went berserk and I started getting tons of notifications. I had to delete the app, and switch off my phone to stop it.
Seeing this update, I decided to give another try and downloaded it again. It says 456K users ahead of me even though I have used it in the past. Thanks but no thanks!

WhackyNinja
Mar 21, 2013, 08:40 PM
Me: -sees Mailbox v1.1- OMG YES! HOTMAIL SUPPORT
Me: -sees changelog- .....oh god. -facepalm-

fins831
Mar 21, 2013, 08:41 PM
isn't the waitlist still over 500k? I mean if I wanted to wait in line I'd go to disney world for splash mountain, cheap thrill vs app..easy decision.

gmanist1000
Mar 21, 2013, 08:43 PM
Slightly overrated app.

I thought you could swipe further and it deletes the message, am I wrong?

leftynaut
Mar 21, 2013, 09:20 PM
Even if you don't like the approach Mailbox "forces" on your inbox ("inbox zero"), you can still use it as a regular e-mail client that works better than Gmail & Mail in my opinion. I set the notification bubble to only show me '1' for unread mail, and now I just have a powerful email app that has Push and a great GUI. This app is slick, no matter how you choose to use it.

furi0usbee
Mar 21, 2013, 09:47 PM
Where is iPad version?

Simplicated
Mar 21, 2013, 10:30 PM
Slightly overrated app.

Don't use it then...? Previously I didn't have a workflow for my email and this app has helped me organize my mails in ways that I never thought about.

tdhurst
Mar 21, 2013, 10:35 PM
Slightly overrated app.

But that's exactly what the app advertised it would do: improve the way you manage email.

----------

isn't the waitlist still over 500k? I mean if I wanted to wait in line I'd go to disney world for splash mountain, cheap thrill vs app..easy decision.

You know you don't have wait in a line, right? You're put in a digital queue, and then it notifies you when you're up.

Life goes on, ya know?

carr13221
Mar 21, 2013, 11:14 PM
Much like Tempo, this was a waste of time and over-hyped. I agree that it just wanted to archive my entire inbox, if I wanted to do that I could do it with one click...

Kayan
Mar 21, 2013, 11:33 PM
Could someone who has been using the app talk about how the push functionality works? Is it truly push from their servers? Or is it frequent fetch? Ever since Google did away with Microsoft ActiveSync, I've been looking for a solution for a push email service to my phone and it is ridiculously complicated...I want Gmail because I like the web interface/search, but push email to my phone is a very important feature, and the Gmail app sucks....so I'm SOL right now.

The way I have it right now is Gmail app notifies me instantly when I get an email, then I manually open the Mail app to download the new message and respond in Mail (I love the native mail app). This is quite circuitous.

jvpython
Mar 21, 2013, 11:41 PM
Slightly overrated app.

Exactly how I feel!

ekwipt
Mar 22, 2013, 12:50 AM
Definitely agree about archiving my inbox, hopefully they give us some more options in the future.

a button to select all and show as read with one push would be great!

DigitL
Mar 22, 2013, 01:05 AM
Love all the complaints about a FREE app. People are always waiting their turn to kick the gift horse in the mouth before the gift has even been given. LOL I think it's a great app.

attila
Mar 22, 2013, 02:56 AM
Slightly overrated app.

That's the whole point of this app!

I found it great! I actually bother to read emails now!

One view for unread items, or items you have read but want to keep in focus, one for everything else, one more swipe to delete (so easy to delete emails).

Now I don't have to mark emails as unread which lead to my past cluttered inbox.

Mailbox doesn't have to archive ALL your messages. Initially it asks you, and I chose "move all but unread emails".

If you already gone and done it, you can scroll to the bottom of the page and tap the button "Help me get to zero" with the same options.

lightning inc.
Mar 22, 2013, 05:21 AM
Slightly overrated app.

EXACTLY!
its the only reason I've deleted this app.
I can't move all my mail to archive.

amorya
Mar 22, 2013, 05:52 AM
Slightly overrated app.

I like the idea of having apps suited to one particular workflow. That just means that the app will be really well tuned for the people who are in the target audience (i.e. people who do get on with that workflow).

I don't use Mailbox because it's Gmail-only, but if it wasn't then I would. I like the idea of an app that forces me to sort out my **** and get it out of the inbox I don't do a good job of keeping my inbox clear normally, so an app that tries to force me to do so is probably a good thing. It might not be a good thing for everyone, but it would be for me. If the app gave me the choice rather than imposing that workflow, it would be less good for me because I am lazy and cannot be trusted *I wouldn't get round to sorting my inbox out, and things would pile up again.

turtlez
Mar 22, 2013, 06:18 AM

just wait in line even if you don't plan on using it. You won't be at a loss and if you ever want to use it then you can instantly :P. I saw that there is a waiting list and just got bought by dropbox so it must be something good. I doubt I will use it but never know so I am in the line just incase.

the8thark
Mar 22, 2013, 06:22 AM
What's New in Version 1.1.0
- Shake to undo!
- UI enhancements
- Bug fixes and performance optimizations

I do like articles that talk about good apps. Thank you.
. . . but why the patch notes? Will there be a new article about every new patch or something? Not needed.

batchtaster
Mar 22, 2013, 07:29 AM
Love all the complaints about a FREE app. People are always waiting their turn to kick the gift horse in the mouth before the gift has even been given. LOL I think it's a great app.

Why should an app be immune from legitimate criticism just because it's free? What, your standards should just be thrown out the window because it didn't cost anything? So everyone complaining about iTunes is completely out of line because it's free? Or unhappy about Skype (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15805/skype)'s atrocious UI? So if Mailbox cost $0.01 then suddenly it's okay to critique it? So it's not okay to say anything against all the plethora of rubbish "memory optimizer" apps (y'know, the ones that just run "purge (http://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/free%20RAM)")... except for the non-free ones?

turtlez
Mar 22, 2013, 08:14 AM
Why should an app be immune from legitimate criticism just because it's free? What, your standards should just be thrown out the window because it didn't cost anything? So everyone complaining about iTunes is completely out of line because it's free? Or unhappy about Skype (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15805/skype)'s atrocious UI? So if Mailbox cost $0.01 then suddenly it's okay to critique it? So it's not okay to say anything against all the plethora of rubbish "memory optimizer" apps (y'know, the ones that just run "purge (http://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/free%20RAM)")... except for the non-free ones?

I see what you mean but in his defence mailbox is not dominating email. iTunes is the built in choice for mac, skype is the goto IM/video calling client. Mailbox can do what it wants and it won't disrupt what people were already doing before it. You don't have to have MailBoxApp. It is like a game, you can't get annoyed at a game company for making a racing game instead of a puzzle game. They can do what they want you don't have to buy it. Use Apple Mail instead.

If it proves to be stupid then it will die out and something else will take its spot, hopefully having learnt from it. Else people will just fall back to what they are used to.

RedTomato
Mar 22, 2013, 08:17 AM
I joined the waiting list about 3 days ago. At that point, I was number 550,000 in the queue, with 0 people behind me.

It seemed, after watching the countdown for a few seconds, that there was one new person in the queue roughly every 2 seconds, and one new account created every second. So about 3600 accounts per hour, with 1800 new people joining the queue. Now I am number 330,000, with 110,000 people behind me. All going smoothly.

Quite looking forwards to this app. I badly need a 'hide this message till later' function to help me clear out my mailbox. There are various other desktop mail apps that do this, but all charge per month. Mailbox is free, and I like the look of the mobile app.

I'll use this for sorting through mail, then the normal Apple Mail.app on desktop / ios for actually reading / creating mail. Happy to change my Gmail labels as the system I have now isn't really working - I'd like to simplify it all.

domness
Mar 22, 2013, 08:22 AM
I absolutely adore this app, it's definitely changed how I manage my emails and it works perfectly, much fast workflow than using the default Mail.app. I think the main target audience is probably those who have a good understand of GTD.

I waited a long time for the app, but I didn't have to sit there staring at my phone... It's free and it works. Just wait until you get that notification that says you've finally become first in line.

baller1308
Mar 22, 2013, 08:55 AM
I do like articles that talk about good apps. Thank you.
. . . but why the patch notes? Will there be a new article about every new patch or something? Not needed.
I'm guessing since they recently made headlines by being acquired by Dropbox that it's the reason the update is in the news.

Steve121178
Mar 22, 2013, 09:04 AM
Great app, one of my favourites. It's helped me clear & stay on top of my e-mail. I think it's brilliant and look forward to seeing how it evolves.

I hope a Mac client isn't too far away...

KennethStudios
Mar 22, 2013, 09:59 AM
Totally overrated, waited for this as it was said this would change the way you email, sure if you only use Gmail, I need something that will take over all my email and replace the IOS mail app, till that comes along, forget this, again who really uses Gmail that much considering all the spam they can sell your name now!

Get it to work as a real client for all emails and I will be interested, till then, goodbye, deleted off my devices as junk

Slightly overrated app.

fjd726
Mar 22, 2013, 10:07 AM
What happens after you're finally in the app and your phone crashes? If by chance you decide to restore as new, will you once again have to wait in line for the app?

Only reason I'm asking is because while waiting for the app at 200,000 or so, my phone crashed and I restored as new. Again, I had to wait in line for the app. I'm now at 215,000.

rfrankl
Mar 22, 2013, 11:17 AM

Exactly. I waited at least 2 weeks, and love it. Learning the swipes takes all of seconds. I couldn't go back now.

Tyler23
Mar 22, 2013, 11:53 AM
What happens after you're finally in the app and your phone crashes? If by chance you decide to restore as new, will you once again have to wait in line for the app?

Only reason I'm asking is because while waiting for the app at 200,000 or so, my phone crashed and I restored as new. Again, I had to wait in line for the app. I'm now at 215,000.

You have to restore from a backup that was made while you had the app and were waiting in line. That is the only way.

Trik
Mar 22, 2013, 12:23 PM
Could someone who has been using the app talk about how the push functionality works? Is it truly push from their servers? Or is it frequent fetch? Ever since Google did away with Microsoft ActiveSync, I've been looking for a solution for a push email service to my phone and it is ridiculously complicated...I want Gmail because I like the web interface/search, but push email to my phone is a very important feature, and the Gmail app sucks....so I'm SOL right now.

The way I have it right now is Gmail app notifies me instantly when I get an email, then I manually open the Mail app to download the new message and respond in Mail (I love the native mail app). This is quite circuitous.

The push is damn near instant. I have the email notification on my phone before I see the email in gmail on my browser.

----------

I really think the preview video when you sign(ed) up was pretty clear what this app does. Inbox zero is not a concept they created, the app is just centered around that concept. If that isn't something you want, then yes, don't use the app. But complaining about it doesn't make sense, that is what it does, the core functionality is to change your workflow around your email. Things in your inbox need to be address now, or pushed off until you can address them, this app helps with that. If I am at work, and something personal comes in, I say "tell me this evening". If I know the email isn't something I can deal with until this weekend, boom, it gets sent to the weekend. I can glance down at my phone and instantly know if there is something I need to be addressing right now. Is it a complete change in how I handle my email? Sure, is it a change for the better? Absolutely.

DigitL
Mar 22, 2013, 12:45 PM

Good lord....would you like some cheese with that whine? LOL.

RedTomato
Mar 22, 2013, 12:56 PM
I really think the preview video when you sign(ed) up was pretty clear what this app does. Inbox zero is not a concept they created, the app is just centered around that concept. If that isn't something you want, then yes, don't use the app. But complaining about it doesn't make sense, that is what it does, the core functionality is to change your workflow around your email. Things in your inbox need to be address now, or pushed off until you can address them, this app helps with that. If I am at work, and something personal comes in, I say "tell me this evening". If I know the email isn't something I can deal with until this weekend, boom, it gets sent to the weekend. I can glance down at my phone and instantly know if there is something I need to be addressing right now. Is it a complete change in how I handle my email? Sure, is it a change for the better? Absolutely.

That's exactly what I want :) Hope I can make it work for me. Got another 5 days to wait by my calculations.

curmudgeon32
Mar 22, 2013, 01:07 PM
Here's a great idea: download this app, get all impatient because you can't use it yet. Check your place in the queue constantly instead of just going back to whatever email app you were using before. Because, you know, you're waiting now and can't use email AT ALL.

And by all means, spend that whole "waiting" period coming back here to complain endlessly about how screwed up this whole system is, how they should be out of business, etc, because everyone here really wants to hear about it.

dunar
Mar 22, 2013, 01:38 PM
I use Mailbox as my primary iPhone email app. Had given up on Mail and the Gmail app and was using Gmail in Safari. It's worked well for me.

I have one complaint/issue, but it's not all on Mailbox. If a message has the Inbox label removed (what happens when you Archive) before hitting the Inbox in a browser, the Gmail filters are ignored. I have a robust filter system for labeling about 50% of the email I receive. Asked Mailbox support for suggestions and was met with a "that's not how it works, rely on search" response. Hard to complain about a free app, but that's lousy customer service to me. I wanted to reply and explain, but know that's probably futile... So what if it's emails from family, friends, etc.? Not my problem - I have filters for finances and tax information, I need that when I do my taxes. I can't remember all details and if I'm going to rely on emails for that, I need the labels. I can apply manually through Mailbox, but that doesn't seem like an improvement on the filters I already have. I intend on continuing to use Mailbox, and will probably try to be better about using the lists (labels) from the app. Maybe there's a way to get Gmail to apply the filters?

OTACORB
Mar 22, 2013, 01:43 PM
I downloaded it and I was way away from having access. I just kept checking once a week. It actually took me about 3 weeks to gain access.

Yes, it does change your workflow, but I knew that is exactly what it was going to do based on the information. Those that say you can't change peoples work flow, then why the hell did you bother to even install it?

I like working from zero. Now my stuff is organized. I renamed those list (which are really just mailboxes) to things that I needed for instant access like Faxes, Chase for my daily bank info etc. A quick swipe left after reading and it goes right into that folder. I was horrible about not deleting useless email and now I do it right away, plus archiving I just never bother with it and so my inbox was an absolute mess. I've never felt more organized.

Most of the complainers clearly just don't get the whole concept of this app. I had mail that was being filter automatically and that is nice, but I just like this approach much better.

This app won't be for everyone, especially those that just aren't willing to change how they work with their email.

vitog123
Mar 22, 2013, 04:41 PM
I keep getting:

Failed to Authorize
-The Information you entered was rejected. Please try again.

This has been going on for 2 days. AFTER waiting behind 750,000+ people.

Let me in!

havenhamilton
Mar 22, 2013, 06:53 PM
just wait in line even if you don't plan on using it. You won't be at a loss and if you ever want to use it then you can instantly :P. I saw that there is a waiting list and just got bought by dropbox so it must be something good. I doubt I will use it but never know so I am in the line just incase.

Exactly! I don't understand why people are complaining theres a line. You download, you then forget about it and then it's ready.

turtlez
Mar 23, 2013, 05:20 AM
Exactly! I don't understand why people are complaining theres a line. You download, you then forget about it and then it's ready.

I had actually forgotten about mine for four days, I am almost through the queue now without even pondering a second over it haha

----------

I downloaded it and I was way away from having access. I just kept checking once a week. It actually took me about 3 weeks to gain access.

Yes, it does change your workflow, but I knew that is exactly what it was going to do based on the information. Those that say you can't change peoples work flow, then why the hell did you bother to even install it?

I like working from zero. Now my stuff is organized. I renamed those list (which are really just mailboxes) to things that I needed for instant access like Faxes, Chase for my daily bank info etc. A quick swipe left after reading and it goes right into that folder. I was horrible about not deleting useless email and now I do it right away, plus archiving I just never bother with it and so my inbox was an absolute mess. I've never felt more organized.

Most of the complainers clearly just don't get the whole concept of this app. I had mail that was being filter automatically and that is nice, but I just like this approach much better.

This app won't be for everyone, especially those that just aren't willing to change how they work with their email.

People love to complain.

----------

Slightly overrated app.

overrated for you but not for me and a lot of others. I am glad you are not in charge of the App Store!

Abazigal
Mar 23, 2013, 06:17 AM
The push is damn near instant. I have the email notification on my phone before I see the email in gmail on my browser.

The notification is quick, it's the downloading of the email from their servers that takes longer (and doesn't begin until you open the app). :(

BobVB
Mar 23, 2013, 07:13 AM
Yeah I signed up not understanding what it did, I am of the 'never delete anything' crowd and have tens of thousands of emails in my inbox.

I'm definitely not who they made this app for :D

turtlez
Mar 23, 2013, 07:59 AM
The notification is quick, it's the downloading of the email from their servers that takes longer (and doesn't begin until you open the app). :(

well having it downloading while it is closed would interfere with other stuff on the phone.

For instance, I leave Apple mail open all the time on this iMac but I know when I am maxing out my internet connection, mail lightning bolt icons on me because it just can't get the bandwidth to do it.

Renzatic
Mar 23, 2013, 10:46 AM
I'm down from 600,000 to 191,000, people!

Just thought you all wanted to know.

Kayan
Mar 23, 2013, 12:15 PM
The push is damn near instant. I have the email notification on my phone before I see the email in gmail on my browser.[COLOR="#808080"]

Awesome. I can't wait to be through 250,000 more people, after having to deal with this crap situation that Google put me (and all other iOS/Windows users) in by unsupporting ActiveSync.

CEO of apple
Mar 23, 2013, 12:31 PM
Was at 5000 to go so I reset mine and now I back up to 500 thousand! Love the suspense and the countdown!

RedTomato
Mar 24, 2013, 05:08 AM
That's odd. My total queue (people in front + people behind me) has been going down steadily. Now it's under 400,000.

People, what's your total queue?

CEO of apple
Mar 24, 2013, 08:08 AM
Just reset again! Ya love looking at the counter

turtlez
Mar 24, 2013, 08:30 AM
mine started at around 450k last Wednesday, down to 296k with 99k people behind me. I read on their twitter a few days ago that soon they are going to speed up the queue so probably no more lines ever. I do not know how long their "soon" is though. Could be days or weeks.

----------

Ok, summing up this thread:

People either LOVE IT! or they HATE IT!

Renzatic
Mar 24, 2013, 08:57 AM
At the rate I'm going, I should have access to it in another 2-3 days. I've got 154,000 people ahead of me, and 240,000 behind me. It seems to tick down about 60,000 people per day.

GAW! THE SUSPENSE!

Am3r1ca16
Mar 24, 2013, 01:04 PM
really people are still in line? lol

waiting for a yahoo or LIVE update!

CEO of apple
Mar 24, 2013, 01:44 PM
I going keep resetting mine so I can stand in line! Just love watching the numbers go down! Only thing I do now is watch it

DavidMarks
Mar 24, 2013, 02:04 PM
Is it just me or should all iOS notifications look like this? It is 'flatter' (Jony Ive) - modern and good looking.

Bawstun
Mar 24, 2013, 05:49 PM
I've now been using this app for a few weeks, and I love it more and more. The Instagram aspect with the picture of the day / incentive to get your inbox down to zero is great too. It's just simple and effective. And the snooze option is amazing.

hulabaloo
Mar 24, 2013, 06:34 PM
I was in line from 8xx,xxx down to zero on Friday. Added my account details, and started experimenting.

The good:

- Cool and useful idea of flicking a little versus a lot to access two similar actions.
- New concept of setting e-mails aside for some length of time you determine adds a to-do feature that's useful.
- Love the threaded conservation view as a default (much like the Mail app introduced in Lion/Mountain Lion.

The bad:

- Completely ignores the labels that make Gmail so useful to some of us. No access to that major Gmail feature at all.
- Incredibly over-uses the grey-on-grey UI paradigm that so many of us have been complaining about on this site since Apple (and other trendy designers) began using it a while ago. I should have been warned and expected it when I was struggling to read their light grey font on their blog, but their controls are all grey-on-grey and they use that same light grey font color in many other places too. What an incredible sacrifice of usability for the temporary "gain" of "the latest" look and "newness". Gag me.

I tried it for two days. It's now deleted from my iPhone, and I am back to the Gmail app. Even that app doesn't allow you to apply labels to mail beyond archiving to one folder, and yes, I do view that as a major failing. But at least I can use the UI!

So for those eagerly awaiting their countdown hitting zero, be aware that the wait may not be worth it, and you may be very let down. Light grey UI elements against grey or white backgrounds - you gotta be kidding me!

torturegarden
Mar 24, 2013, 10:21 PM
The queue finally let me access the app today. Tried it, got annoyed, got frustrated, deleted it. Don't believe the hype.

turtlez
Mar 24, 2013, 10:41 PM
The queue finally let me access the app today. Tried it, got annoyed, got frustrated, deleted it. Don't believe the hype.

oh well at least you didn't lose anything over it

carl0sian
Mar 25, 2013, 12:55 AM
Waaaay overrated app!

hulk2012
Mar 25, 2013, 12:59 AM
After recent news from Google not supporting Gmail push for iOS I think the app is failing project.

Andeavor
Mar 25, 2013, 02:38 AM
What's with the queue anyway? Been in line for over a week now...

Bawstun
Mar 25, 2013, 02:44 AM
Uh, the app does let you make lists/labels to archive mail into. There isn't just 'one' folder. Although as of yet there is no way to sync with already pre-existing gmail labels.

GroundLoop
Mar 25, 2013, 06:46 AM
If this is all it takes to make $50-100 Million, sign me up!

Sounds like we are in another dot com like boom, with companies paying exorbitant amounts of money for nothing. And it will eventually come crashing down

GL

Nightarchaon
Mar 25, 2013, 08:03 AM
Down to 74,905 in the queue and falling..

rhett7660
Mar 25, 2013, 08:29 AM

You might want to try outlook.com. It isn't gmail but it does do MSAS with an exchange account and it is free. I don't know if you want to give up gmail though.

twigman08
Mar 25, 2013, 03:21 PM
Seems ever since they were bought by Dropbox they have been filling reservations faster. I received access to the app yesterday. When I go through the email I'ma use it on I'll see how it works. Though so far I really like it and it seems to fit me.

Bawstun
Mar 25, 2013, 04:26 PM
It's push, and it's fast. As soon as the e-mail appears in the Gmail inbox, there's a new badge notification in the app. It's really good.

RedTomato
Mar 27, 2013, 12:51 PM
Only 120,000 people in front of me. Total queue is down to 300,000 people now. At this rate it will be gone in about 4 weeks.

Then Dropbox offers it to all their users and the queue shoots up to over a millon.

turtlez
Mar 27, 2013, 08:53 PM
I'm at 150,802. Seems to have picked up a lot of speed since I worked it out to take me about 3 weeks only 6 days ago. I started at 450k so it should only be another 3-4 days I assume :D

This countdown thing has made the app probably more interesting to me vs without a countdown. I will probably only use this app a couple of times then just use the computer version again. No loss, no worries ;)

Renzatic
Mar 27, 2013, 10:01 PM
I'm down to 4 digits, people! An entirely new way for me to experience email is nigh!

AppleScruff1
Mar 27, 2013, 10:37 PM
I'm down to 4 digits, people! An entirely new way for me to experience email is nigh!

I'm jealous. :D

DeathChill
Mar 27, 2013, 10:57 PM

The funny thing is that I got in line and waited a few weeks, checking every day, and then a week or so ago I got access. I still haven't bothered to sign up.

Renzatic
Mar 27, 2013, 11:14 PM
I'm jealous. :D

You should be. I'm 5000 people away from experiencing something truly profound.

The funny thing is that I got in line and waited a few weeks, checking every day, and then a week or so ago I got access. I still haven't bothered to sign up.

Truthfully, I wasn't all that interested in it first. All the hype they had going for an email client seemed a bit overkill to me. Two things pushed me towards it, though. One, it does have a couple of cool features, and the gesture setup does look like it'd be a good fit for a phone. Two, I love me some Dropbox, and potentially using it an email base along with everything else is tempting. I figured I might as well give it a go, see how well it actually works.

AppleScruff1
Mar 27, 2013, 11:25 PM
You should be. I'm 5000 people away from experiencing something truly profound.

I was getting worried that you weren't going to be friends with me anymore since people were criticizing your for the company you keep and being a paranoid schizophrenic I assumed they meant me.

DeathChill
Mar 27, 2013, 11:31 PM
I was getting worried that you weren't going to be friends with me anymore since people were criticizing your for the company you keep and being a paranoid schizophrenic I assumed they meant me.
To be fair, once you're in you have to cut off all ties with everyone who isn't "with it".

Renzatic
Mar 27, 2013, 11:31 PM

...do I know you? https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3018396/Misc/omg.gif

Wait. I do know you. I've seen you on TV before, haven't I?

AppleScruff1
Mar 27, 2013, 11:36 PM
...do I know you? Image (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3018396/Misc/omg.gif)

Wait. I do know you. I've seen you on TV before, haven't I?

The therapy is helping a lot. Before therapy, when I went to a football game and the players were in the huddle, I thought they were talking about me.

Renzatic
Mar 27, 2013, 11:38 PM
The therapy is helping a lot. Before therapy, when I went to a football game and the players were in the huddle, I thought they were talking about me.

It's cuz they were, Scruff. They just tell you it's all in your head so you're not as suspicious about things when They make their move against you.

edit: I should also add for the sake of covering my ass in case of a lawsuit, that I assume you're goofing around. If you're not, and this is all a complicated internet cry for help, I will, in fact, feel kinda bad for egging you on.

I thought it was all a joke, your honor. Really.

luckystriked
Mar 29, 2013, 09:18 AM
I'm struggling to like this app. The UI is perfect but that archive thingy is bothering me. Just two questions:

- If I archive everything, can I undo it later?
- After archiving everything, if you go to gmail by the browser, you inbox is also cleared? And how about the Mail app on the Mac?

Thanks

RedTomato
Mar 30, 2013, 08:28 AM
I'm struggling to like this app. The UI is perfect but that archive thingy is bothering me. Just two questions:

- If I archive everything, can I undo it later?
- After archiving everything, if you go to gmail by the browser, you inbox is also cleared? And how about the Mail app on the Mac?

Thanks

Good questions - I'd like to know soon. I should receive activation in a few hours time.

Someone implied it was possible to refuse to archive everything - is that true?

There's some useful info here http://www.mailboxapp.com/help/

http://www.mailboxapp.com/images/mailbox-folder-table.png

luckystriked
Mar 30, 2013, 11:45 AM
I didn't archive everything because I don't want my inbox cleared. Other thing that bothers me in this app is that we cannot turn off vibration unless you deactivate all notifications.

RedTomato
Mar 30, 2013, 02:20 PM
Has anyone else noticed their queue has slowed right down? It used to move at one activation every 2 seconds - ie about 40,000 per day.

Now my queue is moving at 1 activation every 4 seconds - only(!) 20,000 per day. I was looking forwards to reaching activation by lunchtime today (Good Friday) then sorting out my inbox over the weekend.

Now seems I won't get activated til Monday or Tuesday. #firstworldproblems

Maybe it's just the Easter bank holidays. But the queue did move full speed over precious Sundays. Hope this doesn't indicate system problems or a Dropbox-imposed cap.

Oui
Mar 30, 2013, 02:49 PM
Downloaded used for a couple of days then deleted it. Really it's nothing special.
Mail.app works just fine.

Renzatic
Mar 30, 2013, 06:37 PM
It's not bad. I find it to be nice, quick, and simple to use.

...but it's an email app. If you're expecting the world, you're gonna be disappointed.

turtlez
Apr 3, 2013, 05:01 AM
Well I installed it with 450k in the line, forgot about it, opened it about two weeks later at 3260 to go (right now). Looks like I will play with it within the hour :). Glad I never pondered over the wait!!!!!!

edit: Tested it, nothing special for my workflow. I could see how it would be good for someone who is on their phone/tablet all day and away from the desktop/laptop though. Having said that, when(if) mailboxapp releases for os x I would probably use it over Apple mail just because it looks a lot neater. Apple mail is very cluttered compared. Also dropbox backing this means reliability so bonus points there :)

I am not going to delete it of course because why would I? Especially having to wait in line again incase I decide to use it again. Some people's ignorance amazes me when it comes to tiny things like a free app lmao

ratboy90
Apr 9, 2013, 06:20 PM
I've moved my main email recipient away from my computer to mailbox. Allows me to focus on what I have to do and not forget about emails

RedTomato
Apr 10, 2013, 07:12 AM
I've been using it over the last week. It's a nice way to burn through a busy mailbox. I use the Apple Mail.app on my laptop / iphone as my main mail interface, and Mailbox in idle moments to sort through my mail / postpone mails to later.

FYI, it never asked at any point to archive my entire inbox. The option is there if you really want though.

Yaboze
Apr 19, 2013, 05:46 PM
Waited in the queue (which is now gone) and used it for about 2 weeks.

I didn't like it, it changes too many things if you read mail from multiple computers/devices.