Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eggman2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2008
I just got a ipad mini and the jot pro stylus a week ago for the purpose of taking hand written notes. However, so far I'm having significant problems when taking notes.

when i'm taking notes, sometimes the stylus just stops writing or it doesn't capture the entire stroke (if i draw a line, it would appear fragmented) and sometimes the entire visible part of the screen shifts as if it is getting shifted off of the display.

I've tried using notability and good notes and am getting the same result with each. If I use my finger instead of the stylus, I can't seem to replicate the problem.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I just got a ipad mini and the jot pro stylus a week ago for the purpose of taking hand written notes. However, so far I'm having significant problems when taking notes.

when i'm taking notes, sometimes the stylus just stops writing or it doesn't capture the entire stroke (if i draw a line, it would appear fragmented) and sometimes the entire visible part of the screen shifts as if it is getting shifted off of the display.

I've tried using notability and good notes and am getting the same result with each. If I use my finger instead of the stylus, I can't seem to replicate the problem.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Was just reading this thread..and it hints that the problem is the jot stylus. It appears to e a known issue..and has caused a lot of anger from backers. You might also want to turn off the multitasking gestures in preferences to keep the screen from lifting? I know this fixed it for me when my wrist was detected even though I had wrist detection on.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1555707/

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I've had somewhere between 10-15 styluses, including a Jot. Jot is a drawing stylus, not a note taking stylus.

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Try taking the plastic nib off and put it back on.

Also turn off multi gestures.

I would also suggest maybe trying either Penultimate (now that it's free) or Bamboo Paper (also free). I actually find Bamboo Paper to be the best note taking app for the mini.

If you write cursive - the Adonit Jot is a great stylus for note taking.

eggman2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Try taking the plastic nib off and put it back on.

Also turn off multi gestures.

I would also suggest maybe trying either Penultimate (now that it's free) or Bamboo Paper (also free). I actually find Bamboo Paper to be the best note taking app for the mini.

If you write cursive - the Adonit Jot is a great stylus for note taking.

Thanks all for the responses. It's very helpful. I'm hearing that Adonit Jot isn't great for note taking (I don't write cursive). Would the Bamboo Solo be better? I tried my friend's, liked it and ordered one today.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I've had somewhere between 10-15 styluses, including a Jot. Jot is a drawing stylus, not a note taking stylus.

Wow, first I've ever heard someone say that. Jot Pro is totally for writing...can't imagine using it for drawing personally. I guess its totally a YMMV sort of thing.

Sounds to me like its time for a trip to Radio Shack to buy some conductive grease. That's the number one reason why the Jot Pro skips while writing....you have to conduct your bodies electrical output through the barrel, down to the 'ball' and then out to the crosshairs embedded in the plastic disc. Since the ball sits in a little socket, the conductive grease helps to ensure that everything works smoothly. A simple shot via a syringe lasts for months.

Here's a link to the stuff.

And before anyone blames any particular stylus as having a poor design for the iPad, lets not forget that Apple did NOT design the iPad to be used with a stylus, but rather a finger. So by default, using a stylus for input on an iPad is sort of a 'hack' if you will. That said, I've found that the Jot Pro is easily the best I own for writing inside of apps like Noteability and Noteshelf. For all-around use in sketching, PDF markups and/or decent writing ability, I still find the Bamboo to be a great stylus. But for cursive writing, hard to beat the Jot Pro...when it's modded with the conductive grease.

Last edited:

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Have you taken a look the Jot Pro fix thread? The AS5 fix addresses this exact issue.

eggman2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Have you taken a look the Jot Pro fix thread? The AS5 fix addresses this exact issue.

Not sure what the AS5 is exactly but I've now seen the threads about using the thermal compound. I suppose that's what I'll do.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Not sure what the AS5 is exactly but I've now seen the threads about using the thermal compound. I suppose that's what I'll do.

Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound, made of silver. It's been formulated to conduct heat but it is slightly capacitative when put between two conduction points. It closes the gap between the ball point and the magnet disc very well.

js712

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
Colorado
haven't tried the jot pro stylus, but i really like my lynktec truglide stylus. the tip is microfiber, nice and smooth on my screen. i also e-mailed them and got great customer service. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.