Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
It seems andriod developers are tired of the piracy going on at the android market and prefer to move over to IOS development. Even though IOS has some piracy, more money can be made on IOS according to this articule

Piracy in Android is causing Developers to shift to iphone development http://androidprirates.blogspot.com/

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
This is why android apps try to monetize with ads or any other means, as pirated copies quickly outnumber paid copies....

kgames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
This is why android apps try to monetize with ads or any other means, as pirated copies quickly outnumber paid copies....

Great point I notice alot of Android games use ADs and are free so that way even if they are pirated they still make some money.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I've paid for every app that I could possibly pay for including TomTom. Apps that allowed ad removal by paying a fee, I've also paid for. I've never tried a pirated app on my Android. I have more respect for Android devs because they have more freedom.

At the same time, I know of several places to get every single iOS app made for free. We're talking cracked apps. I have used several cracked apps on my iOS devices.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I've paid for every app that I could possibly pay for including TomTom. Apps that allowed ad removal by paying a fee, I've also paid for. I've never tried a pirated app on my Android. I have more respect for Android devs because they have more freedom.

At the same time, I know of several places to get every single iOS app made for free. We're talking cracked apps. I have used several cracked apps on my iOS devices.

http://keyeslabs.com/joomla/projects/auto-app-licensing/152-a-global-piracy-heat-map

kgames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
By not developing Android apps that aren't free. Google's the only one that can put the brakes on Android piracy, might hurt hardware sales though.

Great point most people would buy an android if they knew they could get free apps versus going to ios were they would have to pay for apps. Jailbreaking is not that easy and on android all you have to do is download and install.

Kattym

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013
By not developing Android apps that aren't free.
Android has become so popular thanks to free apps and their variety. I don't think that making all Android applications paid will solve the problem. Google should make some legal changes to stop the piracy.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Android has become so popular thanks to free apps and their variety. I don't think that making all Android applications paid will solve the problem. Google should make some legal changes to stop the piracy.

I know of several sites where I could get just about any iPhone/iPad app for free. They even do requests in their forums. I always wonder why they keep saying it's easier to pirate apps on the Android. Sure the iPhone/iPad needs to be broken first but it's still easy to do.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
The reason i see every iPhone and ipod user playing candy crush saga is because clearly it is a paid app /s.

People like free stuff but a normal person will not pirate. Plenty of folks buy stuff on google play as well.

The problem is, indie games which are not as popular as titles like angry birds, temple run, candy crush (the later two being free btw) have a hard time making money on either platform, with iOS being easier because many ipod and iPhone users tend to gravitate to mobile gaming (especially when you factor in the ipod crowd, and the fact that ipads are still killing android tablets in gaming, which shares a common platform with iPhones). There are many issues with android gaming, but i doubt right now piracy is the biggest one. I think it is mostly lack of hardware and software that portrays itself as "player friendly".

For example, google only recently started with the cloud gaming sync solution while gamecenter has been thriving on iOS for a long time, there is no "ipod" like hardware for people who are not looking for a smartphone or for the younger crowd that is available everywhere, tablets are slowly catching up in productivity software but indie games are still not there, while an ipad mini has all the ios games catalogue on it the moment you fire up appstore. In other words, not many chances of recognition. Add users who buy those cheap android devices which can barely play a game properly and it only adds to the hurt.

Stopping piracy may help, but i honestly doubt that will alone lure indie game devs to the scene.

And this is where i have my respect for samsung, their effort to make galaxy a household name, and in turn helping the android ecosystem, as probably pushed more game devs to make games for those galaxy users than the rest of the android OEMs combined. And this is sad that someone with a low design sense has been able to take great steps to be successful compared to others. Only they are to blame.

kgames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
Your right samsung used to make average phones at best, but they totally changed their image with the galaxy series. I remember when HTC was king of smartphones and when sidekick was still popular.

Kattym

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013
I know of several sites where I could get just about any iPhone/iPad app for free. They even do requests in their forums. I always wonder why they keep saying it's easier to pirate apps on the Android. Sure the iPhone/iPad needs to be broken first but it's still easy to do.

Of course, there are lots of iOS free applications, but their number is fewer than of Android free apps. Google made an accent on development of free applications.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Of course, there are lots of iOS free applications, but their number is fewer than of Android free apps. Google made an accent on development of free applications.

I wasn't talking about getting free apps that cost no money. There are lots of sites that provide expensive apps for free such as TomTom and others. They strip out the DRM and then upload the app for anyone to download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.