PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Announces 'Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft' for Mac and iPad

MacRumors
Mar 22, 2013, 11:15 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/22/blizzard-announces-hearthstone-heroes-of-warcraft-for-mac-and-ipad/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/NewImage7.png
Blizzard today announced Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (http://toucharcade.com/2013/03/22/pax-east-blizzard-announces-hearthstone-heroes-of-warcraft-a-ccg-for-pc-mac-and-ipad/), a new free-to-play collectible card game set in the Warcraft universe. In a first for Blizzard, it will be available on the iPad in addition to the Mac and PC. It appears that players will be able to play multiplayer games across platforms.
Set in the World of Warcraft universe, each Hearthstone deck will revolve around heroes of nine of the MMO's classes. At least 300 cards will be available at launch, and you'll be able to earn or buy packs. Also, you'll be able to put together your own decks and be able to "disenchant" duplicates and craft better, presumably original cards from them.

The competitive side of the game will feature one-on-one fights via Battle.Net, which, if you didn't know, is the service Blizzard uses for its PC games. We're not sure what the iPad version will use -- details are still coming out from the event.Hearthstone is due out later in 2013, with the iPad version coming after the initial PC and Mac release. Users can register for the beta (http://eu.battle.net/hearthstone/en/media/) on Blizzard's website.

QdXl3QtutQI

Article Link: Blizzard Announces 'Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft' for Mac and iPad (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/22/blizzard-announces-hearthstone-heroes-of-warcraft-for-mac-and-ipad/)

topgunn
Mar 22, 2013, 11:19 AM
Blizzard rarely makes crap so I am interested by default.

Peace
Mar 22, 2013, 11:24 AM

I agree but playing WoW on an iPad. Even if it's not the full fledged game , would be difficult. Unless i'm reading this wrong.

jlgolson
Mar 22, 2013, 11:25 AM
I agree but playing WoW on an iPad. Even if it's not the full fledged game , would be difficult. Unless i'm reading this wrong.
It's a playable card game, like Magic or whathaveyou.

Peace
Mar 22, 2013, 11:29 AM

Ya. I understand that much but this part I don't understand :

The competitive side of the game will feature one-on-one fights via Battle.Net, which, if you didn't know, is the service Blizzard uses for its PC games. We're not sure what the iPad version will use -- details are still coming out from the event.

How does one do battle one on one over the internet using cards ?

I guess I'm so used to playing the regular game ( lvl 90 warrior ) for so many years I can't see the obvious.

To use South Park words.
How does one kill someone who has no life ?

:D

Xenomorph
Mar 22, 2013, 11:32 AM
Isn't there already a WoW card game?

Does this play like that, or is this all-new?

Does it play like Magic: The Gathering?

TheGreenBastard
Mar 22, 2013, 11:34 AM

The competitive side of the game will feature one-on-one fights via Battle.Net, which, if you didn't know, is the service Blizzard uses for its PC games. We're not sure what the iPad version will use -- details are still coming out from the event.

I guess I'm so used to playing the regular game ( lvl 90 warrior ) for so many years I can't see the obvious.

To use South Park words.
How does one kill someone who has no life ?

:D

You can't be serious, can you? Clearly you've never played Magic or other games. Pleb.

Peace
Mar 22, 2013, 11:35 AM
You can't be serious, can you? Clearly you've never played Magic or other games. Pleb.

No. I have not played any card based games other than poker.

RoelJuun
Mar 22, 2013, 11:37 AM
How about making Warcraft III & Frozen Throne compatible with the current OS Blizzard???

TheGreenBastard
Mar 22, 2013, 11:40 AM
How about making Warcraft III & Frozen Throne compatible with the current OS Blizzard???

Warcraft IV, anyone?

(No, I know it will never happen and WoW is basically WC4.)

Aldaris
Mar 22, 2013, 11:42 AM
And Starcraft/brood war for that matter.

madsci954
Mar 22, 2013, 11:46 AM
Isn't there already a WoW card game?

Does this play like that, or is this all-new?

Does it play like Magic: The Gathering?

There is a WoW TCG, and from the screenshots, it uses the same cards. I'm guessing Heathstone = digital version of WoW TCG

RL600
Mar 22, 2013, 12:08 PM
This game type isn't usually something that interests me at all. I do agree with you though, I will definitely check it out, just because it is made by Blizzard. When I saw that teaser they put out a few weeks ago I was really excited, and was hoping for a neat/different RTS for Mobile/iPad. Really disappointed when I saw it was a card game. I signed up for the beta to check it out.

This. or SC1 and Brood War.

Nightarchaon
Mar 22, 2013, 12:08 PM
so, after the failure of the real money auction house experiment in Diablo 3 , the quest for a revenue model to replace World of Warcraft when the last few people still playing die of shame (im pretty sure only 8 people play now, but each has a million accounts)

So now this looks like Blizzards 1st attempt at the EA, "lets screw everyone over on micro transactions" Real Racing 3 method of gaining revenue.

Free Starter pack will be useless against anyone who has spent money on expansion decks, and the expansions you buy will be made useless every other week by new decks being released so you have to keep buying new decks if you want to actually win.

balamw
Mar 22, 2013, 12:09 PM
There is a WoW TCG, and from the screenshots, it uses the same cards. I'm guessing Heathstone = digital version of WoW TCG

Maybe this will light a fire under WoTC to release a full MTGO client for Mac and iPad. Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 is often too limiting.

B

ImperialForces
Mar 22, 2013, 12:10 PM
To hell with Blizzard. Corporate sellouts.

balamw
Mar 22, 2013, 12:10 PM
Free Starter pack will be useless against anyone who has spent money on expansion decks, and the expansions you buy will be made useless every other week by new decks being released so you have to keep buying new decks if you want to actually win.

That describes pretty much any TCG. :p

EDIT: By that token, I really like the fact that in DoTP 2013 what you can buy is limited and you can earn most of the cards simply by playing and winning.

B

Absent
Mar 22, 2013, 12:36 PM
Isn't there enough of these types of games around? This must have just been some easy, low cost out the door project. Really, what market is there; what level of success could they hope to achieve. Effort into this must be low if it was worth it at all to produce. Awesome!

Oh. I mean, what an inspiring cash grab!

canucksfan88
Mar 22, 2013, 12:44 PM

not sure if you know about this, but there is a work around for it.

go to the application icon in Applications --> show package details --> data file --> grey icon (im at work and dont remember) but it does work this way

kk1ro
Mar 22, 2013, 12:59 PM
Hopefully, the iPad version will also connect via Battle.net and be able play against the PC and Mac versions! Can't wait for this!

T'hain Esh Kelch
Mar 22, 2013, 01:02 PM
No. I have not played any card based games other than poker.
And you cant imagine playing poker over the Internet? You just broke a multi billon dollar industry!

QCassidy352
Mar 22, 2013, 01:08 PM

It was released in 1998. Time to move on.

Repo
Mar 22, 2013, 01:21 PM

or LAN support for SC2... or both... Both.

TMar
Mar 22, 2013, 01:26 PM

Panda land and Diablo 3. Their track record isn't that great of late...

makingdots
Mar 22, 2013, 01:27 PM

They wouldn't because Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 1 are playable offline that means, lots of people would obtain it without paying through jailbreak while this Heartstone even though it's free, it's an online-only game. That means blizzard control everything. It's like what they did with Diablo 3.

1) You can't play it without logging in.
2) You can't cheat in-app purchases because all your game info, items, etc are saved on their server.

the8thark
Mar 22, 2013, 01:34 PM
Barcraft (the SC2 arcade game) > This Hearthstone.

And gotta love the MacAdvertising forums :) (this place)

RL600
Mar 22, 2013, 02:05 PM
It was released in 1998. Time to move on.

Grand Theft Auto III was released just a few years later than that and was release for iOS. Just because it was released in 98 does not mean anything to me. That makes no sense coming from a person that's been an active member on a forum for over 10 years. :confused: Just saying some people like things that have been around for a while..

Dolorian
Mar 22, 2013, 02:07 PM
I used to love Blizzard, own all their games up to Warcraft III but after Diablo III and it's requieriment to always be online to play (and their constant server crashes which prevented me to play even while connected) I just gave up. I also was planning to buy Starcraft II but got dicouraged with the whole thing about different regions.

Activision ruined Blizzard imo.

QCassidy352
Mar 22, 2013, 02:13 PM
Grand Theft Auto III was released just a few years later than that and was release for iOS. Just because it was released in 98 does not mean anything to me. That makes no sense coming from a person that's been an active member on a forum for over 10 years. :confused: Just saying some people like things that have been around for a while..

It's still a good game, i get that. but what I'm saying is that you can't expect a for-profit company to continue to do active development on a 15 year old product which it hasn't sold in years and from which it derives no profit anymore. It makes no economic sense for them, especially when they have a 3 year old sequel game that they'd love to sell you. GTA3 on iOS is different because they can sell the game to the same buyer a second time on the new platform.

star-affinity
Mar 22, 2013, 03:13 PM
II also was planning to buy Starcraft II but got dicouraged with the whole thing about different regions.

You can play across different regions now.

marsmissions
Mar 22, 2013, 04:01 PM
They wouldn't because Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 1 are playable offline that means, lots of people would obtain it without paying through jailbreak while this Heartstone even though it's free, it's an online-only game. That means blizzard control everything. It's like what they did with Diablo 3.

2) You can't cheat in-app purchases because all your game info, items, etc are saved on their server.

Jailbreaking doesn't have anything to do with pirating software...

wildmac
Mar 22, 2013, 04:37 PM
Panda land and Diablo 3. Their track record isn't that great of late...

Pandaland is fine.. D3.. yeah, well, umm...

SilentPanda
Mar 22, 2013, 04:55 PM

It had as much to do with WoW as a t-shirt with WoW on it. It will share the names of characters, spells, and such but will not play much at all like WoW. It is purely a card game like Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon, etc, etc. It will use Battle.net to facilitate finding other players but you won't play this game against anybody in the World of Warcraft MMO. They are completely separate products.

cosmicjoke
Mar 22, 2013, 05:06 PM
so for money you get to play with a stacked deck, how fun.

SilentPanda
Mar 22, 2013, 05:13 PM
so for money you get to play with a stacked deck, how fun.

That's how pretty much every CCG is. You can always just play with your friends. I used to play MTG online and we all agreed to only buy a certain number of starter decks and booster packs and we played amongst ourselves. None of us had optimal decks but we all were at similar disadvantages.

ArtOfWarfare
Mar 22, 2013, 05:22 PM
I didn't see this trend in 1996, but it's clear as day now: nerdy dumb ideas go in WC, good cool ideas go in SC. WC2 was great, WC3 wasn't bad, and its been all downhill since. SC was great, and its just gotten better and better since (I think... Haven't gotten HotS, yet. I wonder when that's going to drop in price a bit...)

thejadedmonkey
Mar 22, 2013, 05:39 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. It looks like the Magic the Gathering game, but Blizzard'd.

makingdots
Mar 22, 2013, 06:12 PM
Jailbreaking doesn't have anything to do with pirating software...

But that's the top reason why people jailbreak.

Ashin
Mar 22, 2013, 06:22 PM
Looks really fun actually...

ConCat
Mar 22, 2013, 07:55 PM
:eek:so, after the failure of the real money auction house experiment in Diablo 3 , the quest for a revenue model to replace World of Warcraft when the last few people still playing die of shame (im pretty sure only 8 people play now, but each has a million accounts)

So now this looks like Blizzards 1st attempt at the EA, "lets screw everyone over on micro transactions" Real Racing 3 method of gaining revenue.

I don't think wow will ever die. Whole new generations of people are being born all the time to pick up where those of us who left the game left off. So many new lives to ruin.

ReanimationN
Mar 22, 2013, 09:23 PM
I used to love Blizzard, own all their games up to Warcraft III but after Diablo III and it's requieriment to always be online to play (and their constant server crashes which prevented me to play even while connected) I just gave up. I also was planning to buy Starcraft II but got dicouraged with the whole thing about different regions.

Activision ruined Blizzard imo.

You can play on any region's server now. I was playing Arcade games with a friend in California on the US server last night.

MythicFrost
Mar 22, 2013, 10:54 PM
Warcraft 1, 2 & 3 for iPad please Blizzard.

Consultant
Mar 22, 2013, 11:34 PM

Well even with online only play, item dupers are running wild in Diablo 3. And Blizzard isn't doing much to combat that.

theanimaster
Mar 23, 2013, 02:32 AM
ARRRrrrrrGH... I already got Two Towers... but good thing that was a long way back.

Can't.... resist... Blizzard..... game...

I also just purchased Heart of the Swarm (after spoiling myself with all the cutscenes on YouTube... darn if only I had know they put in those pre-rendered cutscenes a lot more often than they appeared in WoL).

I still hate World of Warcraft though -- got two expansions which I NEVER payed or ever got to play because they upped the specs, which made it unplayable on my mac at the time. Now that I have a mac that can play it however -- I'm not forking over money for 'game time'.

----------

Barcraft (the SC2 arcade game) > This Hearthstone.

And gotta love the MacAdvertising forums :) (this place)

REALLY???? I gotta check that out... ~!!

definitive
Mar 23, 2013, 06:18 AM
not wasting any more time on blizzard games. they've demonstrated that they lost their way ever since they released diablo 3.

this is just another magic the gathering online ripoff. should have made a dota clone instead.

makingdots
Mar 23, 2013, 08:08 AM
not wasting any more time on blizzard games. they've demonstrated that they lost their way ever since they released diablo 3.

this is just another magic the gathering online ripoff. should have made a dota clone instead.

They are working on it and it's already announced. It's called Blizzard All-Stars.

brownpaw
Mar 23, 2013, 11:12 AM

Or why not play the remade SC1 campaigns in SC2 (http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/sc1-episode-1-rebel-yell/)?

nStyle
Mar 23, 2013, 12:34 PM
If I'm going to waste my time its not going to be for a card game, where the cards don't even exist... they're virtual.... wait....

the8thark
Mar 24, 2013, 06:04 AM
REALLY???? I gotta check that out... ~!!
Yes you should. If you own StarCraft 2. It's surprisingly fun. And it's also how a card game can be very simple but also addictively fun. It is multi-universe though. Ie it has cards and heroes from SC, Diablo and WC universes.

Seriously it's worth a look.

shardey
Mar 25, 2013, 08:21 AM
not sure if you know about this, but there is a work around for it.

go to the application icon in Applications --> show package details --> data file --> grey icon (im at work and dont remember) but it does work this way

You need to have the application updated in 10.6.x from the PowerPc/ Rosetta binaries to the Intel. Then you can play on 10.7 and beyond.

iMacFarlane
Mar 25, 2013, 02:29 PM
It's still a good game, i get that. but what I'm saying is that you can't expect a for-profit company to continue to do active development on a 15 year old product which it hasn't sold in years and from which it derives no profit anymore. It makes no economic sense for them, especially when they have a 3 year old sequel game that they'd love to sell you. GTA3 on iOS is different because they can sell the game to the same buyer a second time on the new platform.

Are there any Walmarts near Boston, MA? Stroll into one of them and check out their boxed software collection. I double-dog double-secret-probation triple-stamped-double-stamp pinkie-swear that there are Starcraft I and Warcraft III Battle Chests there. Right now. Today. On sale.

----------

Yes you should. If you own StarCraft 2. It's surprisingly fun. And it's also how a card game can be very simple but also addictively fun. It is multi-universe though. Ie it has cards and heroes from SC, Diablo and WC universes.

Seriously it's worth a look.

Wait . . what? Granted, I haven't played SC2 since a few months after its release, but the game in the bar was a vertical shmup, not a card game. Is this game right in the bar, or somewhere special?

NHProductions
Mar 26, 2013, 05:41 AM
I used to play World of Warcraft but stopped playing video games in general. But this sparks my interests, I would like to see where this go, although I will never play.

sleevewipe
Mar 26, 2013, 09:53 AM
I got to play the iPad version of Hearthstone at PAX East in the Blizzard booth this weekend vs. a friend. It could have partly been the environment, but I found it to be a real blast to play. It was extremely responsive and good looking with bright flashy effects and audio. The spells, concepts, card descriptions would be familiar to anyone who has played anything from the Warcraft series. You could tell this wasnít some cobbled together side project for the TCG.

The game & base deck are free from what they said and you can earn, craft more cards by playing. I donít own/play the TCG nor do I have any intention of buying cards or playing with anyone besides friends who game the same way I do. About the only thing I think this game will finally force out of my wallet is an upgrade from my gen 1 iPad :eek:

balamw
Mar 26, 2013, 10:20 AM
I got to play the iPad version of Hearthstone at PAX East in the Blizzard booth this weekend vs. a friend.

Any feel for how it compares to DoTP13 or DoTP14 on the iPad? (I know different games, but just wondering if the competition will light a fire under WoTC).

B

canucksfan88
Mar 26, 2013, 04:18 PM
You need to have the application updated in 10.6.x from the PowerPc/ Rosetta binaries to the Intel. Then you can play on 10.7 and beyond.

oh yes. sadly because of my love for warcraft TFT, i install 10.6 just to be able to play (then upgrade to 10.8). its a tad annoying but its a great game.

phillipduran
Mar 27, 2013, 09:30 AM
Warcraft IV, anyone?

(No, I know it will never happen and WoW is basically WC4.)

I'm playing WC III right now. I never played it all the way through before. I've been playing WoW since 2005 and I would love to see WC IV. They could up the graphics like SC II and they could also release WC IV expansions for all of the WoW expansions, Cata, MoP etc.

I'd buy that. ;)

mrxak
Mar 28, 2013, 01:07 PM
I was at PAX where they announced this. From what I could tell, Hearthstone got a big yawn and not much else. General consensus from the people I talked to was that there are already plenty of games exactly like this and Blizzard's late to the party. Blizzard's booth where they had this playable was not very crowded.

I can understand why Blizzard made this, it's pretty cheap to do and if it works they can keep selling people cards, but I don't know how many people will actually play it. The real market they want to tap into is the Magic: The Gathering folks, but those people already have Magic Online and much happier for it. Will the World of Warcraft faithful try it out? I find it hard to imagine.

Motawa
Apr 8, 2013, 11:16 AM
i dont want to offened people but. **** trading card games...