Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
60 GB iPod Gen5, full battery. Played Blade Runner (1:56, 452 MB file) from start to finish with no interruptions, volume set at about 2/3 maximum... once the movie finished, the battery indicator says the battery's still half-full.

Which means, I suppose, the battery life could be around 4 hours when playing video... but I'd really need to do another test (play 2 videos in a row) to see if that's the case... no time to do that tonight, though.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Being that I'm exporting a vdeo I plan on trying 700mb avi file. I didn't get to test it out yet. Export is so slowwwww. I have a 1.8ghz imac with 2GB Ram. This is ridiculous slow. Looks like it's gonna be done at 6am and I started about 12am.

Anyway nice to hear that battery life is good. Guess I'll be while flying then.

Question. Is there a fast forward feature?

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Stylez Cz said:
Being that I'm exporting a vdeo I plan on trying 700mb avi file. I didn't get to test it out yet. Export is so slowwwww. I have a 1.8ghz imac with 2GB Ram. This is ridiculous slow. Looks like it's gonna be done at 6am and I started about 12am.

Anyway nice to hear that battery life is good. Guess I'll be while flying then.

Question. Is there a fast forward feature?
Yeah. Press the center (Select) button, and a timeline will appear. You can then use the click wheel to scroll up or back in time.

nightdweller25

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2005
clayj said:
Yeah. Press the center (Select) button, and a timeline will appear. You can then use the click wheel to scroll up or back in time.
How smooth is the jogging? I know I know, it's just an iPod, but i still want to know.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
nightdweller25 said:
How smooth is the jogging? I know I know, it's just an iPod, but i still want to know.
It doesn't change the video until you "land" on a time... then it just jumps to that time and continues playing.

whalesalad

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2005
"2 Hour Video Playback on 30GB iPod: Conservative Estimate, At Least Output to TV. We had our 30GB model play back loops of the movies Hero and House of Flying Daggers for 3 hours and 10 minutes before its battery died. We’ll see how the iPod does through on-screen playback, but so far, it’s doing better than it could have. Why is this? Quite possibly because there’s no need for backlighting during TV output. Regardless, it’s good news."

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/5688/

whalesalad

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2005
P.S. Apple has always underrated their batteries, which is definitly a good move. I got excellent (far beyond spec) battery life with my 20gb 4g and many tests by ilounge and other sites proved the same. It takes a few discharges to get optimum batt condition. I can't wait for my 5G!!!

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Don't know how long it took cause I feel asleep, but I agree batt life is good. Compression is also good. Original avi file was 700MB, finished m4v file was 500MB. Would just be nice if exporting was faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.