Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
England
Looking as though this new ipod generation is scratching a fair bit.

To me, all that really matters is that the screen itself doesnt stratch, the rest of the unit i can face getting a bit worn. But playing movies, the screen has to stay clear.

Are there any ipod screen protectors out there? Just a little transparant cover like most screens come protected with on phones etc when you first buy them?

Labi

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2005
I haven't heard of dedicated screen covers, but you can get the self adhesive clear film at your local stationery. I believe it can do the job well.

Kyle Nerder

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2005
Toronto
I went to a electronic store and bought PalmPilot screen covers. They are clear stickers. I just cut them to size and presto. My 3G ipod 20GB is 2 years old and not a stratch on the screen!

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
jeraiya said:
Also, here's a Martin fields screen protector renound for good quality

I really can't recommend Martin Fields screen protectors enough. My nano doesn't even look like it has anything on it and now they're shipping them in packs with a front and back cover, they're even better! My nano looks pretty much as good as the day I bought it.

I'm not ordering my new iPod until MF starts shipping the screen covers. When I last contacted them they were waiting for their iPod to arrive from Apple so they could get production going.

Steve

bollard

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
London
nomad01 said:
I really can't recommend Martin Fields screen protectors enough. My nano doesn't even look like it has anything on it and now they're shipping them in packs with a front and back cover, they're even better! My nano looks pretty much as good as the day I bought it.

I'm not ordering my new iPod until MF starts shipping the screen covers. When I last contacted them they were waiting for their iPod to arrive from Apple so they could get production going.

Steve

Hi nomad Did you buy yours online from Singapore or is there a place in the UK that sells them

Ta

Whoops just seen your reply on the other thread. Cheeeers

dbeltr1

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2005
Chicago
Digital Camera Screen Protectors.

Since digital camera screens range from 1.5" to 3.5" I'm sure I can find a screen protector that fits or I can custom fit.

I found once the words "for your iPod" are added to any product, there seems to be an increase in price on said product. I don't want to spend too much on screen protectors (I don't want to get cheap ones either).

Several people are worried about the iPod getting scratched. Take care of your screen first, the rest is secondary.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
England
the martin fields protectors look just the ticket, thanks a lot. Just need to wait for the ipod video ones to come into stock.

A healthy screen means a healthy ipod.
in some cases.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Just wanted to say again... I went along w/ nomad's suggestion of the Martin Fields protector for my nano and I am so pleased! I know I promised pictures but now that the camera is w/in reach, the nano's at home. :eek:

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
bollard said:
Hi nomad Did you buy yours online from Singapore or is there a place in the UK that sells them

I got mine direct from Martin Fields and they took about a week to arrive.

When they finally appear in the UK, you can get them from http://www.l8shop.net and Mobile Fun. Both are mainly phone shops but they sell a lot of iPod stuff too. I've ordered from both in the past and been happy.

They have the nano covers now but UI think it's just the front cover rather than the front and back set that Martin Fields now offer.

Steve

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I haven't used them yet with Nano but the PowerSupport film they sell at the Apple Stores is brilliant, I had some for my Mini. It's strong and stays put but leaves no residue at all. Really space age stuff, even covers the wheel.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
Labi said:
I haven't heard of dedicated screen covers, but you can get the self adhesive clear film at your local stationery. I believe it can do the job well.
Will this come off of the iPod cleanly? And what do you mean by local stationery?

Daniel

Labi

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2005
BurtonCCC said:
Will this come off of the iPod cleanly? And what do you mean by local stationery?

Daniel

Yes it should. You might need to wipe it off a bit tho'
Local = The place where you live.
Stationery = The place where you buy office supplies and such.

Anyway after all these good sugestions, mine is useless. I wasn't aware of all these products. I was just trying to help.

Jennychan

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2005
jeraiya said:
surely you could just use any screen protector designed for use with a 2.5" screen?

here's one on ebay :)

Also, here's a Martin fields screen protector renound for good quality

http://www.doml.com.sg/productdec.a...al2.5&modeln=Digital Camera (2.5 Inch Display)

EDIT - Even more specific...martin shields full ipod 5G overlay:
http://www.doml.com.sg/productdec.asp?pid=2119&modeln=iPod Video&model=new_ipod

Hello :

I recently bought a screen protector from martinfields. Yes ,it is indeed a very good product. It is crystal clear and look like invisible to me after i applied to my ipod. I bought it after i read some good review of this product.
http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=332
I bought it from USA. http://www.overlayplus.com/us . It only takes three days to deliver to me.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Jennychan said:
I bought it after i read some good review of this product.
http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=332
I bought it from USA. http://www.overlayplus.com/us . It only takes three days to deliver to me.

The only thing I'd add to the review is that you don't need a tool to remove it... there's a trick.

Stick some sellotape/scotch tape on the screen cover and just lift it off. It comes off very easily like that... and yet it seems like it's stuck fast if you try to get it off any other way!

Ferrence

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2005
I suggest

3M Scotchcal. It's basically the same thing as those InvisiShield's. However, you need to custom cut it from a roll. I think a roll goes for $75.00, or so. Enough for about 10 iPods. So, if you've got friends in need...

It's treated with a clear coat, so they don't turn yellow, and is clear as a bell.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Ferrence said:
3M Scotchcal. It's basically the same thing as those InvisiShield's. However, you need to custom cut it from a roll. I think a roll goes for $75.00, or so. Enough for about 10 iPods. So, if you've got friends in need...

Does it leave a residue though? Evn the lightly adhesive PDA screen covers I've tried in the past have left a nasty residue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.