Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm enjoying my S3 after many months of ownership. I will upgrade to the S4 immediately. Yet that's no reflection on the S3, I simply enjoy first hand experiences with the latest products. It's what I do.

If I couldn't easily afford it, or weren't as big of an enthusiast as I am, the S3 would serve me well for another year or so. It's very reliable & lots of fun.

Finally if there's one thing I've learned, newer is not always better. :D

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
People advised me to wait for the S IV but I'm really pleased with the S III. Still has a lot of oomph to it and with Jelly Bean, it's really smooth.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Not really, if you find yourself loving the experience you can sell it in the future and upgrade to the s4 :) the s3 sold very well and im sure wont be hard to sell considering not everyone can afford the new and greatest.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I hope you got it for a good price. The reality is (in the used phones market) as soon as the SGS4 releases, the value of the GS3 at resell will drop quite significantly.

That would be my primary concern personally when buying gadgets. Other than that you have a decent phone and if it does everything you need it to do and its not hindered performance wise (its keeping up with the tasks you need it to do) then you should feel comfortable in the decision you made.

Last edited:

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
I hope you got it for a god price. The reality is (in the used phones market) as soon as the SGS4 releases, the value of the GS3 at resell will drop quite significantly.

That would be my primary concern personally when buying gadgets. Other than that you have a decent phone and if it does everything you need it to do and its not hindered performance wise (its keeping up with the tasks you need it to do) then you should feel comfortable in the decision you made.

It's still leagues ahead of my Galaxy S II in terms of performance. Probably the most responsive Android phone I own. Plus I love the little features that it comes with.

With all due honesty, it feels smoother than my iPad 3. But I know that the iPad 3 is somewhat underpowered.

One question, does it support 64GB microSDXC cards?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It's still leagues ahead of my Galaxy S II in terms of performance. Probably the most responsive Android phone I own. Plus I love the little features that it comes with.

With all due honesty, it feels smoother than my iPad 3. But I know that the iPad 3 is somewhat underpowered.

Yeah it does...

S3 is still a great phone even with S4 almost out.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
My wife gave me her S3 about a week ago.

It's amazing to see how well it still holds up 12 months after launch. As long as the price was right on the S3, I wouldn't say it's a bad purchase, even today.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I think that the S3 is still one of the best (if not the best) phones out today, and will still be up there with the top phones for some considerable time to come. Enjoy your new phone. :)

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I love my S3, it sounds like you do too. As long as you are happy, you made the right choice.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA

My only thought would be that you could definitely get it for less money when the S4 is released.

What are your favorite features?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
People advised me to wait for the S IV but I'm really pleased with the S III. Still has a lot of oomph to it and with Jelly Bean, it's really smooth.

I've read that the S3 will be updated with all or most of the features that the S4 has. Minus the obvious features that depend on the S4 hardware. Your region will probably get it before the American region.

Enjoy ...... :D

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
If you got a good deal on it, then no, I wouldn't say you made a wrong decision.
Android 5.0 will be on it and since there are millions of them out there, they will be supported for a long time.

If you paid $199 on contract, then it would be ridiculous because S4 will be about in a few weeks.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
If I had the S3 & the S4 hit the shelves, I don't think I'd be able to resist purchasing the S4, then either giving the S3 to SO or a relative or selling it.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Was it on contract? If so, I would have waited unless you just HAD to have it.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
No contracts here. My favourite feature would be Smart Stay and multi windows.

So did you pay full price for it, or buy it on ebay/craigslist? If you paid full price, then you should haver waited, and just paid the same amount for the S4. Either way, enjoy your new phone!

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
So did you pay full price for it, or buy it on ebay/craigslist? If you paid full price, then you should haver waited, and just paid the same amount for the S4. Either way, enjoy your new phone!

New but obviously not at original retail price.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
No contracts here. My favourite feature would be Smart Stay and multi windows.
Same here. I've yet to find a contract deal including a "free" (or subsidized) phone that was a better deal than paying full price for a simlock free phone & getting a sim only contract. The full price phone pays for itself via lower sim only rates. With "free" phones, the house always wins.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Why on earth would you buy an S3... Return and get the S4!

If they are happy with their device, are happy with the price they paid for said device, what difference does it make?

They aren't forcing you to buy as S3.... And the S4 being unveiled doesn't make everyone's S3 handsets suddenly redundant.

Fine to say 'I personally wouldn't have got as S3, I'd have waited for the S4.'

But to demand the OP returns their device because you wouldn't have bought one is the very height if obnoxiousness....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.