Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Been trying it for the past few weeks. I find it is a neat little app, despite the various kinks and minor issues (mail not preloading, no landscape, font being harder to read compared to default mail, can't see sender).

Still getting the hang of this whole "get inbox to zero" philosophy. Previously, I was content to just dump my entire inbox in mail, and rely on search to retrieve previous mail when necessary. Truth be told, I am not sure if this is suitable for me, but I have decided to give it a go.

Currently, I have gotten into a fairly good routine of trashing junk mail, snoozing "Don't have time to attend to this now but might want to take a closer look at it later" entries, categorising more crucial mail and archiving the rest once they are no longer relevant.

I guess the next question is "Where do I go from here?" I admit that snooze has been invaluable in reminding me of key tasks and events on the day itself, but I am not quite seeing the point of filing away my mail so neatly. Is searching for them this way that much more efficient than search? :confused:

I would like to hear your advice and views on how you have been utilising this app. Thanks. :)

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
I've stopped using it after a few days.

I really need support for my gmail labels/folders. Yes it was recommended to just move my labels into the Mailbox "lists" but there are two things wrong with that:

1. If you archive your email by mistake while it is in that list it actually removes it from the list.
2. The lists have a max of 50 (I think it was 50, nevertheless it was something much to small for me). I use the labels to organize alot of information over the years, and some of my labels are 500+

What I have instead done is created labels using "Gmail Snooze" (look online for how to add it to gmail). It is not as easy to use as the mailbox, but it allows the same thing (to have mail move back to the inbox in a set amount of time). The nice thing about this though is that it will work with virtually any mail client (your computer, default iOS Mail App, Gmail App). The default script you find online only allows for 1/2/3/4 day snoozes, but you can modify it and add additional ones with a little scripting know-how.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
I used to use the GMail app and did like it as I have multiple accounts forwarding mail to my GMail account and have filters set up to organise them into their own folders. However I really like the MailBox app so decided to switch to it anyway even without the support for filters.

The way I use it with the current setup I already had was by archiving all mail in my inbox but keeping my starred emails in my inbox (There is an option for this in MailBox) this way I can use the features of MailBox that I like while still being able to see all my starred mail which is really only the main issue that I had with MailBox (it not giving me access to my folders). The fact that I can't see my separate folders for my different accounts doesn't bother me too much as I didn't really NEED to know which account every message was coming from anyway :p

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I quit using it. While I typically move my read Gmail to archive already (like Mailbox wants), I had to stop using it since it doesn't support standard Gmail labels at all - just Mailbox's labels in [Mailbox/<label>].

I really like the Reminder feature, and the UI seems better than the standard Gmail app, lack of labels is a deal breaker for me unfortunately.

The other negative is the lack of an iPad version. I had Mailbox on my phone but the Gmail app on my iPad. I didn't like using two different email clients, so using the Gmail app again on my iPhone at least brings some consistency. Plus, reading an email on the iPhone didn't remove the (1) from the Gmail icon on the iPad. With the Gmail app, reading on one device removes the notification app icon numeral from the other device.

I'll reconsider using Mailbox if they add Gmail labels and come out with an iPad version.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It is now my go to email client, the only one I use. I've found it very helpful in separating the clutter and spam from what's important. My favorite feature is being able to select emails to return to my inbox at a later time. Really helps me stay on top of everything. Also love the UI, just using it makes me feel happy which is saying a lot for an email client.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Gmail accounts only has been a show stopper for me. Have three different account types.

No worries. When you signed up it said they plan to support other accounts very soon. After all they have to begin somewhere, and gmail is most prolific.

----------

It is now my go to email client, the only one I use. I've found it very helpful in separating the clutter and spam from what's important. My favorite feature is being able to select emails to return to my inbox at a later time. Really helps me stay on top of everything. Also love the UI, just using it makes me feel happy which is saying a lot for an email client.

I'm with you, I'm really enjoying it for lots of reasons. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.