PDA

View Full Version : PSP encoded movies to play on Ipod??

jeraiya
Oct 20, 2005, 06:29 AM
I'm thinking of using the ipod 5G as an external hard drive for my psp when i'm on long journeys (will need a usb host link device of course) and was wondering if it was possible to play movies encoded for the PSP (320x240 in mpeg-4 format).

Is this possible and has any tried playing a 320x240 MP4 on their 5G Ipod?? what was the quality like?

cheers

Scarpad
Oct 20, 2005, 09:26 AM
I'm thinking of using the ipod 5G as an external hard drive for my psp when i'm on long journeys (will need a usb host link device of course) and was wondering if it was possible to play movies encoded for the PSP (320x240 in mpeg-4 format).

Is this possible and has any tried playing a 320x240 MP4 on their 5G Ipod?? what was the quality like?

cheers

I think as long as they were encoded for Mpeg 4 at 320x240 they should play. The only time any of the psp encoders mucked with the header info is when you used another non standard Sony Resolution like 368x208, it then passes the file thru atomchanger to changer the header to trick the PSP into playing it. I don't suspect those files will play. I'll be testing all my previous encodes when I get my Ipod, but that's what I'm expecting to be true

snowmoon
Oct 20, 2005, 09:35 AM
I don't know... depends on how mucked up the headers are. I would say it's a good bet, but not 100%.

clayj
Oct 20, 2005, 10:04 AM
I don't know... depends on how mucked up the headers are. I would say it's a good bet, but not 100%.Yeah, I'm not even going to bother trying this... between having PSP Movie Creator (one-click DVD->PSP-compatible MP4) and the new Handbrake* steps, I can make separate movies for PSP and iPod without any hassle.

* Tried using JUST Handbrake last night... it failed at the end, don't know why. So I am still using Mac the Ripper... 100% success rate so far when I use it. Batman Begins = 613 MB @ 1024 kbps video, 160 kbps audio, 320 px wide

jeraiya
Oct 21, 2005, 04:43 AM
Thanks for replying guys, i guess i'll have to get it and find out unless anyone would try and encode a short 320x240 mp4 psp clip for me to try it out ;) :rolleyes:

The reason i want to know if this is possible, is so that i don't have to make 2 seperate encodes of all my videos i put on my ipod, incase i want to watch them on my PSP aswel.