PDA

View Full Version : 12" Powerbook G4 Temperatures

DarkSel
Mar 23, 2013, 12:35 PM
After I applied some new thermal paste on my CPU (not the GPU), I noticed considerably lower temperatures, especially during load.

However, my average temperature when browsing websites (like Macumors), is about 50 C. My fan is constantly on. When I watch Youtube or play some Warcraft, the temperature can increase up to 55 C.

Are you guys experiencing similar temperatures? How is your fan noise?

Also, I just noticed, my GPU is really fricking hot. At idle, it's almost 7 C hotter than my CPU. When I play games, it's almost 10 C hotter than my CPU. Is it worth it to open up the Powerbook again and apply thermal paste on the GPU as well?

pcfast
Mar 23, 2013, 01:28 PM
My iBook generally always ran pretty hot.

eyoungren
Mar 23, 2013, 01:47 PM
After I applied some new thermal paste on my CPU (not the GPU), I noticed considerably lower temperatures, especially during load.

However, my average temperature when browsing websites (like Macumors), is about 50 C. My fan is constantly on. When I watch Youtube or play some Warcraft, the temperature can increase up to 55 C.

Are you guys experiencing similar temperatures? How is your fan noise?

Also, I just noticed, my GPU is really fricking hot. At idle, it's almost 7 C hotter than my CPU. When I play games, it's almost 10 C hotter than my CPU. Is it worth it to open up the Powerbook again and apply thermal paste on the GPU as well?
I have not done this, so I can't say it would or would not reduce temps. But I can tell you that Youtube is processor intensive. Your fans are going to run. Especially when anything pegs the CPU at 100%.

That said, my 17" PowerBooks only kick the fans in at 140F. Which is about 18 degrees higher than when your 12" PowerBook turns it's fans on. Maybe the difference in sizes, IDK.

DarkSel
Mar 23, 2013, 02:13 PM
I have not done this, so I can't say it would or would not reduce temps. But I can tell you that Youtube is processor intensive. Your fans are going to run. Especially when anything pegs the CPU at 100%.

That said, my 17" PowerBooks only kick the fans in at 140F. Which is about 18 degrees higher than when your 12" PowerBook turns it's fans on. Maybe the difference in sizes, IDK.

How about your GPU temperatures?

I just did some more tests, and it seems that fans only power on once the GPU temperature reaches 55 C. The CPU temperature is at a constant 50 C, even when fans aren't running.

eyoungren
Mar 23, 2013, 02:52 PM
How about your GPU temperatures?

I just did some more tests, and it seems that fans only power on once the GPU temperature reaches 55 C. The CPU temperature is at a constant 50 C, even when fans aren't running.
How would I test that? The temps I am getting are from iStat and the only sensors I have are CPU, Power supply and hard drive.

DarkSel
Mar 23, 2013, 03:21 PM
How would I test that? The temps I am getting are from iStat and the only sensors I have are CPU, Power supply and hard drive.

I've been using this tool: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/12381/temperature-monitor

It's able to display both CPU and GPU temperatures.

Zotaccian
Mar 23, 2013, 03:40 PM
Graphics processor bottomside temp of my iBook is now around 55C and I am only surfing the web. However, the only audible thing at the moment is the hard disk as it keeps this constant "hissing" and disk access noises as it does when it's on. Processor bottomside is around 50C. My iBook has Radeon 9550, I don't know whether or not that is normal temp for it.

eyoungren
Mar 23, 2013, 03:44 PM
I've been using this tool: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/12381/temperature-monitor

It's able to display both CPU and GPU temperatures.
Oh, ok. I have that already. GPU is at 127F.

DarkSel
Mar 23, 2013, 04:06 PM
Oh, ok. I have that already. GPU is at 127F.

Hmm...

Well, you have a higher resolution display than me and your temps are about the same as mine. I guess my GPU is overheating for one reason or another.

When I replace my modem jack, I'll also reapply some new thermal paste to the GPU.

Thanks for your help.

eyoungren
Mar 23, 2013, 04:15 PM
Just to clarify. At the time I grabbed that GPU temp my CPU was at 134 and the fan had been on for a bit. Temps were decreasing. I was web browsing at the time.

Only once in the 3 and a half years I've had this PowerBook have I ever heard the second fan kick in. That was a hot environment with poor air flow so I was above 145 (CPU) at the time. Most of the time I only hear one fan. Unfortunately, that seems to be quite often it's on as apps tend to tax my processor a bit (I have a failed external cache, so the load gets dumped on the CPU).

DarkSel
Mar 23, 2013, 04:22 PM
Just to clarify. At the time I grabbed that GPU temp my CPU was at 134 and the fan had been on for a bit. Temps were decreasing. I was web browsing at the time.

Only once in the 3 and a half years I've had this PowerBook have I ever heard the second fan kick in. That was a hot environment with poor air flow so I was above 145 (CPU) at the time. Most of the time I only hear one fan. Unfortunately, that seems to be quite often it's on as apps tend to tax my processor a bit (I have a failed external cache, so the load gets dumped on the CPU).

The 12" only has a single fan located right next to the CPU. That might explain why GPU temperatures are consistently higher than CPU temps.

I've seen my GPU temp go as high as 150 F playing WC3, but my CPU has never 132 F doing the same task.

The higher GPU temp was pretty evident when I hooked the PB to a 1920x1200 monitor.