Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirFoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Galien, Michigan
Hello--
Ever since I got this Q950 running, I have been wondering what I could do with it. So, one day my friend and I decided to take it in to school and make a TAD game with it and mess around with some of the other features on it. (I will have pics of it monday). I recently went back to the shop where I got it, and I found 2 cards that went with my Q950. The first one is a Supermac thunder/24. However, I do not have the drivers for it, nor does the card have the VRAM that it was supposed to have :mad:. The 2nd card that I got was the Supermac Spigot. I read online that this card is incompatible with 7.5, and my Q950 has 7.5.3 on it. Both cards costed me $5. With those purchased, I also got the Apple Color Style printer 2400 for another $5. It does turn on, but I highly doubt that the black cartridge is any good anymore :D. To top it off, I also saw an Apple Extended Keyboard II at the shop, but it was sun baked, dirty, and missing its cord. Didn't get it 'cause I already have a regular keyboard and an adjustable keyboard :p.

p.s. Oh, I almost forgot! I purchased the Apple powerpc upgrade card in hopes that I could almost turn my Q950 into the Macintosh AWS machine. The only thing I would be missing is the vast amount of ram it had. What makes me angry is that I am missing the 4th stick of ram that came with my computer (only 3 of the 4 were found in the computer). I had to remove the three sticks and leave the smaller sized ones in there for it to boot. From the size of the ram stick and the number of chips on it only leads me to the thought that the ram was of a good amount, and must of been alot of money at the time...Too bad I can't find any on ebay :(

With that being said, can I use any mac VRAM from that era with the thunder card? I would like to get it working, but would like some advise for what vram to use. Also, my dad said not to install the two cards I got from the shop until I got my TAD project done in fear that one of the cards could be potentially bad, and short out the entire motherboard. Could something like this happen? Lastly, I read online that some of the PPC cards had heat problems due to a combination of no airflow and dried up heat grease on the heat sink. Should I at least take the heat sink off and put some new paste on it?

Like I said, I will hopefully have pictures monday for all of you Mac fans!

Last edited:

SirFoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Galien, Michigan
Here is my current setup:
2013-03-25_15-03-56_453_zps9d04e8d7.jpg

The superintendent of my school stepped in with is Powerbook 150 and is letting me use it to grab some of the programs he has off of it.
2013-03-25_15-06-52_241_zps1ea8e464.jpg

Here is the PPC Card I got for my quadra:
2013-03-25_15-04-08_216_zps86f2b0f4.jpg

Lastly, I got the printer for my apple:
2013-03-25_15-04-14_630_zps7ff580a2.jpg

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
Here is some info from the old radius site, courtesy of archive.org. You don't need to add memory to these slots. I have this card and have never populated them.

Q: What are the four open SIMM slots on my Thunder card used for? Can I add VRAM to them?

A: The four open SIMM slots on the Thunder/24, Thunder/8, and Thunder II Light are for GWorld SIMMs only, not regular RAM SIMMs. GWorld refers to a type of video memory that is used to store off-screen bitmap information for near-instantaneous retrieval by the computer. Since applications have to be specifically written to support GWorld memory, few customers benefit from adding GWorld SIMMs.

Q: Which applications take advantage of GWorld RAM on a Thunder/24 or Thunder/8 graphics card?

A: The Aldus Fetch application represents one of the best examples of an application which takes advantage of GWorld RAM installed on a graphics card. Other applications include the System 7.x Finder, Aldus PageMaker 4.0g (or higher), Adobe Premiere, and PixelPaint Professional.

The software for the card is still out there. Both macdrivermuseum and gamba's site have them.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
DZ/015 is correct, there's not much point to finding RAM for the Thunder/24.

As for the Quadra's RAM, it might be a good idea to take some good hi-res pictures of the 3 sticks to see if we can determine what they are. :)

And I'm jealous of you for having a PPC Upgrade card for your Quadra. In all my years I only ever saw ONE of them. :(

SirFoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Galien, Michigan
I will get pictures or the ram later today (photobucket is blocked at school). However, I am having a very frustrating problem with the PPC card. I installed the control panel for it, set it to turn on at boot, and when I turn it on, it just sits there, no start up chime. I did get it to work once, but after about one hour, windows and pull-down menu graphics became messed up, and then the machine locked up. Any ideas? Is the card bad or..?

edit--I tried cleaning the tips of the contacts with a dampened q-tip, and it booted, and then it did the death chime noise. It was a bit crackly, so does that mean I need to clean the contacts on my mobo and card?

Last edited:

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I will get pictures or the ram later today (photobucket is blocked at school). However, I am having a very frustrating problem with the PPC card. I installed the control panel for it, set it to turn on at boot, and when I turn it on, it just sits there, no start up chime. I did get it to work once, but after about one hour, windows and pull-down menu graphics became messed up, and then the machine locked up. Any ideas? Is the card bad or..?

edit--I tried cleaning the tips of the contacts with a dampened q-tip, and it booted, and then it did the death chime noise. It was a bit crackly, so does that mean I need to clean the contacts on my mobo and card?

Does sound like it might be poor connectivity from the card to the logic board. Start off with a mild cleaning agent and clean-test, clean-test etc etc.

That said, on a machine of this age, it could be ANYTHING. :(

SirFoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Galien, Michigan
Does sound like it might be poor connectivity from the card to the logic board. Start off with a mild cleaning agent and clean-test, clean-test etc etc.

That said, on a machine of this age, it could be ANYTHING. :(

Well, I had it on its side, turns out that it requires some pressure to plug it in all the way :p

SirFoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Galien, Michigan
Ugh...Everything WAS working fine, but the next time I turned it on and started using it, about 20 minutes later the thing froze up on me and I could not get the computer rebooted using either processo r:mad:. I did manage somehow to get it to chime (ppc) and come up with the happy mac icon, but not much more. Tomorrow, while my friend is coding on the powerbook, I guess I will be working on cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol, and getting it to turn on so I can turn off the PPC in its control panel. I think heat and corrosion is what's preventing it from working properly. The heatsink was pretty hot, even with brand new grease on it, so I think I will somehow connect a small fan to the heatsink, or at least over it so it can move air around the card. Oh the fun of old technology :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.