Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nucleophile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Plano, TX
So I have a question here about what is happening to my messages.

I was texting someone via iMessage all morning on my iPhone with no problems. Sometime in the afternoon, my phone started slowing on sending and eventually, it turned to sending messages as SMS. That's fine as I know iMessage ability can be hindered by the receiving party's connection too.

However, when I look at iMessage opened on my iMac, it shows those same messages and says their status is "Delivered."

So which did it send as - SMS or iMessage? And most importantly, did they send at all...? No reply from the recipient yet, so I'm just hoping the messages made it through...

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
So I have a question here about what is happening to my messages.

I was texting someone via iMessage all morning on my iPhone with no problems. Sometime in the afternoon, my phone started slowing on sending and eventually, it turned to sending messages as SMS. That's fine as I know iMessage ability can be hindered by the receiving party's connection too.

However, when I look at iMessage opened on my iMac, it shows those same messages and says their status is "Delivered."

So which did it send as - SMS or iMessage? And most importantly, did they send at all...? No reply from the recipient yet, so I'm just hoping the messages made it through...

It probably sent both; I've seen this a lot. iMessage will fail and the iPhone will send it as SMS. However, it may try to resend the iMessage.

For example, my friend sent me a SMS via his iPhone this morning. Then 2 minutes later, I got the same exact message as an iMessage.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Yeah, I had the exact issue once. I think what happens is that when an iMessage fails on your iPhone, it sends it as a SMS, but since it's also sending it via your Mac, the Mac tries to resend it later, and so you also send an iMessage, but it just doesn't show up on your phone since it's the exact same message.

K3gy

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2013
I have a different issue. How can I have my iMessages come to my phone only, and not to my iPad? I only want my sms on my phone. Any help?

----------

I have a different issue. How can I have my iMessages come to my phone only, and not to my iPad? I only want my sms on my phone. Any help?

Should I just turn off iCloud on my iPad?

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012

----------

Should I just turn off iCloud on my iPad?

I think you can disable only iMessage in Settings>Messages

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.