PDA

View Full Version : iPod Video Output to TV Quality????

manosira
Oct 20, 2005, 02:15 PM
Does anyone know the quality of the video being output to the TV via the a/v or s video cables? I know it's not HD quality but is it stilll watchable? Videos that you create or the ones that you download from iTunes.

Sky Blue
Oct 20, 2005, 02:49 PM
this is the best info i found:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/video-ipod.ars/4

Slightly off topic..anyone know if you have to use the apple av cables, or will any do?

pseybold
Oct 20, 2005, 02:52 PM
i just bought the AV cabels (until the dock comes available) and hooked it to my flat pannel tv. played batman begins that i ripped and super troopers, both looked real good. the AV cabels are a little funky...if you bump them or anything you get a static and jumbeled picture. not bad....but could be better...just waiting to see how the s-video looks. hope this helps.

Pete

camomac
Oct 20, 2005, 02:55 PM
i just bought the AV cabels (until the dock comes available) and hooked it to my flat pannel tv. played batman begins that i ripped and super troopers, both looked real good. the AV cabels are a little funky...if you bump them or anything you get a static and jumbeled picture. not bad....but could be better...just waiting to see how the s-video looks. hope this helps.

Pete

is that full screen?
if so what is the resolution?

thanks

neocell
Oct 20, 2005, 03:20 PM
Does anyone know the quality of the video being output to the TV via the a/v or s video cables? I know it's not HD quality but is it stilll watchable? Videos that you create or the ones that you download from iTunes.
Files downloaded from iTunes are 320x240 (similar to VHS resolution). There's a new export setting in QT 7.0.3 for creating video iPod files which is set at 320x240 as well. I don't know whether or not the video chip is capable of delivering higher resolution files to your TV or not.

crazyjoeda
Oct 20, 2005, 04:06 PM
The pics on that site look really good, I hope I get my new iPod soon.

madmaxmedia
Oct 20, 2005, 04:45 PM
The iLounge.com review mentioned being able to play back 720 x 360 MPEG4 on the iPod (!!)

If that is the case, then MPEG4 would be the idea format for TV playback. 2-Pass recording will give pretty good results. Even if not 720 wide, 480 or 640 should give excellent TV results on an analog screen...especially with the dock (s-video).

snowmoon
Oct 20, 2005, 05:14 PM
clayj and I were able to do 640x360... I have NOT heard anything about larger at this point... if anyone has success, please post a link or settings so that others can get a feel for what works and what does not.

If anyone HAS an iPod + AV cable and are willing to do some testing... please get in contact with me because I have a number of test files that I would love to get a feeling for how they playback both on screen and on TV.

Dr Riot
Oct 21, 2005, 10:35 AM
anyone know if you have to use the apple av cables, or will any do?

I bought av cables from radioshack yesterday and they work perfectly! :)

powerbook911
Oct 21, 2005, 10:46 AM
clayj and I were able to do 640x360... I have NOT heard anything about larger at this point... if anyone has success, please post a link or settings so that others can get a feel for what works and what does not.

How did you do 640 wide? You used handbrake, and it played on iPod?

Why does Apple say 480x480 max, if you can do 640? Maybe you can do up to 480x480 pixels (so like 240,000 pixels)?

madmaxmedia
Oct 21, 2005, 11:13 AM
I bought av cables from radioshack yesterday and they work perfectly! :)

Wait, you bought cables from Radio Shack that allowed you to output video to a TV straight from the iPod?

Was it these-
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=16-3686

That would make sense. If that type of cable works, then anyone with a camcorder may be able to use the their video out cable.

madmaxmedia
Oct 21, 2005, 11:20 AM
How did you do 640 wide? You used handbrake, and it played on iPod?

Why does Apple say 480x480 max, if you can do 640? Maybe you can do up to 480x480 pixels (so like 240,000 pixels)?

That's probably about right. 480 x 480 is an odd resolution to list.

That's excellent news, because most all movies then can be compressed in MPEG4 at 640 x XXX, which should output even better to a TV. Maximum bitrate is a factor though, don't know if 768 is enough to get really good quality. Maybe with 2-pass...

480 x XXX might end up giving better results, since there is less resolution but also less compression artifacts.

madmaxmedia
Oct 21, 2005, 12:22 PM
I don't have a video out cable yet, so this is just to see what the iPod can handle. I will test output to a TV later.

I can play back 1Mbps 640 x 360 MPEG4 video on my iPod. It looks great on the iPod, with no noticeable scaling artifacts. This should output great on an analog TV! There were no skipped frames or anything like that either.

Since I only used 1-pass encoding, the compression quality is iffy. But 2-pass encoding should give pretty good results at 1 Mbps if I'm not mistaken. EDIT- I just realized max bitrate is 2.5 Mbps for MPEG4, that means the sky is the limit and we can get great quality VGA-level video on iPod!

For most videos, 320 x 240 will be sufficient. But this gives us another great option for ripping certain DVD movies, etc. intended primarily for TV playback. It also looks great on the iPod screen, the only drawback is that file size is much larger (around 1 GB per movie.) On PDA's and the PSP, that is a significant drawback due to cost of flash memory. On a 60GB 1GB is nothing- ;)

snowmoon
Oct 21, 2005, 12:32 PM
It should be noted that the increase in file size will decrease battery life when playing movies off the battery.

madmaxmedia
Oct 21, 2005, 01:50 PM
It should be noted that the increase in file size will decrease battery life when playing movies off the battery.

That's a good point. Although the difference may not be that great, since the hard drive is likely spinning almost the entire time (whether 320 x 240, or 640 x 480.) MPEG4 is much less processor-intensive, so a 640 x 360 1.2 Mbps video clip probably requires less CPU effort than the TV shows at iTMS.

One good thing is that TV output apparently take less battery according to various tests people have done. So if you have encoded a lot of MPEG4 for TV viewing, you may still get pretty good battery life.

I guess a proper test is in order... :)

powerbook911
Oct 22, 2005, 01:52 PM
So if I want decent quality for TV output, what should I set bitrate at? With MPEG 4, does it really have to be as high as some are suggesting?

BTW - I want to keep all these files on my computer!! I guess I'm going to have to get an external hard drive to keep them all on. It is neat having a movie or TV show a click away.

p0intblank
Oct 22, 2005, 04:18 PM
Judging from those pictures in that link, the video output looks MUCH better than I had anticipated! :eek: Man I really need one of these...

aswitcher
Oct 22, 2005, 04:55 PM
It looks ok...not too bad.

Still, I want wireless headphones for my iPod, so since Steve said they cant do them because of sound quality and battery life, I expect them early next year and so will wait for them.

balamw
Oct 22, 2005, 05:41 PM
That's probably about right. 480 x 480 is an odd resolution to list.
480x480 is a fairly typical SVCD resolution.

One reason it might give "better" results on an outboard TV than say 640xXXX is that the analog NTSC signals have 480 visible scanlines while the resolution signal along each scanline is not explicitly defined. This makes it "easy" to scale a 480x480 video onto an NTSC screen with no loss of vertical resolution. Not sure how it might look on the iPod's screen.

I don't see any reason to go for any higher resolution than 320x240 if the video will only be displayed on the iPod screen, right?

I intend to start trying some of the options now that I have my 5G and I have an AV cable that might work from my Sony camcorder.

B

LethalWolfe
Oct 22, 2005, 05:51 PM
Judging by the pix in the link the image quality on a normal SD TV is adequate. Nothing to write home about, but certainly do able.

Lethal

madmaxmedia
Oct 23, 2005, 12:19 AM
The picture of the TV screen looks okay. Keep in mind that you can actually get better results-

1. The dock has a s-video jack, which is much better than regular composite RCA video.
2. MPEG4 will give better resolution, and makes a difference in TV output (others have tested this.)