Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwerty1122

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Hello All,

Recently I came into possession of a Mac SE after many years of not having one. I am trying to find floppy disk games for the computer, but intensive searches of eBay and other sites have proved fruitless. I have asked around and nobody I know has software (and some people didn't even know what the SE was).

I'm hoping someone here has some old games that they would be willing to sell copies of or be able to advise me how I could get copies of.

Thanks

qwerty1122

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Mac SE Software

I bought a digital software bundle and downloaded it onto my pc. Problem is, the only Mac I have is my SE. I don't have any way to make floppies or even run the software. I'm really looking for advice on how to either make Mac SE floppies or some direction on how to purchase the old game software. Just can't find it anywhere. I've scoured eBay and found nothing. Any help would be much appreciated. I really want to bring my SE back to life; with no software, there's no reason to even turn it on...

ftored

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
I would have guessed that if you had a 3.5 inch floppy usb drive you could copy them on from your pc? Are they in zip format?
I thin they should just work like that if you put them on a floppy:)

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
I would have guessed that if you had a 3.5 inch floppy usb drive you could copy them on from your pc?
No, that won't work. Assuming your SE has the 800k drive, no standard PC hardware can write a floppy the SE can read.

What you will need to do is get a "bridge" Mac that can both connect to the internet and download/unstuff files, and also write double-density floppies. Basically what you need is any G3-based Mac that has a built-in floppy drive. You can get by with earlier models but you'll have to pay close attention to how internet-capable they are.

Ozfer

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
New England
Same Issue

I'm in the same boat as you. I got a SE and now can;t get files to and from it. I am currently trying to get some software to let me use a iomega zip drive that I can use with both computers but the only other option is to get a beige mac that can transfer files between formats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.