Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AIR OR PRO

• PRO

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • AIR

Votes: 51 86.4%

• Total voters

hazawaza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
If someone came unto you and said which of these two laptops you want for free, which one would you take. Bare in mind that this would be your primary and only computer.

Macbook pro 13 inch mid 2012 (baseline non retina)
OR
Macbook Air 13 inch mid 2012 (baseline)

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Since both are baseline, I'd take the air.

Going pro, to me, is only worth it if processor, graphics, ram, and retina display are all included.

I use my 2011 Mac air 11" 256 4gb i7 for everything and its a great laptop and primary computer. It even plays games pretty well, though its used for work and it excels at that.

Best laptop I've ever owned of many, I'm so pleased with this computer.

I'll upgrade to the next air when they put retina in it, but I'm in no hurry cause this laptop rules.

Go air, you won't regret it, I promise.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
ANOTHER Pro vs Air thread?

U came to the AIR forum. We like thin and light, regular Pro with superdrive TOO THICK and HEAVY for this crowd.

Seriously there are already tons of Air vs Pro posts here.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The MBA IMO is a much better solution. Yes, while the MBP is upgradable (RAM and HDD/SSD), the MBA has a better screen and is far lighter than the MBP. Remember, the MBA's SSD is upgradable as well.

If you need a DVD drive, getting Apple's brand or another is a fairly inexpensive option.

Also to fully compete, make sure to get either a USB to Ethernet or the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter. IMO, the Firewire port is a non-factor.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Always air. Unless the Pro had Retina, then I would consider. I last bought a Pro in early 2011 but it was too big for me, I can't imagine going back to that.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Without specifics on exactly which model id get for free then I'd take the more expensive one so I can flip it for the one I actually want.

Personally, I love the Air button the last 12mo I (and the wife) went through almost every 2012 MacBook (thanks to BB open box discounts) until finally settling down.

MBA11 - Nice size but fonts gave eye strain and battery sucked [Sold after 4mo]
MBP13 - good batt, bad resolution, Put dual drive (SSD+HDD), high resale [sold after 8mo]
rMBP15 - screen. Power. "Pro" machine but no upgrade path. 256GB sucks. Horrible resale value [Returned 1mo]
cMBP15 - Powerful. Put dual SSD+HDD. Futureproofed [I kept this for me]
MBA13 - Perfect balance of portability, specs, size. [Wife kept this]

IMO, the cMBP15 is the best of the Pro line and the MBA13 is the best of the ultralights.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
-snip-

MBA11 - Nice size but fonts gave eye strain and battery sucked [Sold after 4mo]
MBP13 - good batt, bad resolution, Put dual drive (SSD+HDD), high resale [sold after 8mo]
rMBP15 - screen. Power. "Pro" machine but no upgrade path. 256GB sucks. Horrible resale value [Returned 1mo]
cMBP15 - Powerful. Put dual SSD+HDD. Futureproofed [I kept this for me]
MBA13 - Perfect balance of portability, specs, size. [Wife kept this]

IMO, the cMBP15 is the best of the Pro line and the MBA13 is the best of the ultralights.

^This. I have both. The cMBP15 was upgraded with SSD and more RAM and higher res screen. Great workhorse and largely desktop replacement. THe air however is an amazing travel companion. Mine, the late 2010, is stuck at a paltry 128GB so could never be my only machine. If I had your choice I'd get a 8GBRAM/512GB MBAir and pay the upgrade difference to my employer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.