PDA

View Full Version : Google Releases $149 Nik Software Plug-in Bundle for Photoshop, Lightroom, and Aperture

MacRumors
Mar 25, 2013, 06:09 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/25/google-releases-149-nik-software-plug-in-bundle-for-photoshop-lightroom-and-aperture/)

Back in September, Google purchased Nik Software (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/17/google-buys-developer-of-snapseed-apples-2011-ipad-app-of-the-year/) of Snapseed (http://appshopper.com/photography/snapseed-for-ipad) fame. In addition to being the team behind the iOS photo editing app that was named Apple's 2011 iPad App of the Year (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/08/itunes-rewind-highlights-the-best-of-2011-instagram-tiny-tower-win-best-of-year-awards/), Nik Software also produces several plug-ins (http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/index.php?view=intro%2Fmain.shtml) for professional image editing applications like Aperture (http://www.apple.com/aperture/), Lightroom (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html), and Photoshop (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop.html).

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/nikcollectionbygoogle.jpg

As of today, Nik's plug-ins are available as a single bundle (https://plus.google.com/u/1/112991908363536599988/posts/dwJAcwuphTa), which is priced at $149, a significant discount from the original $499 price tag. Rebranded the "Nik Collection by Google," the bundle includes HDR Efex Pro 2, Silver Efex Pro 2, Sharpener Pro 3, Color Efex Pro 4, Viveza 2, and Dfine 2.

The collection, which is offered for all three popular photo editing platforms, includes tools for creating HDR images, reducing photo noise, producing black and white photos, and making minute color adjustments.

New users can purchase the bundle via the Nik Software website (http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/index.php?view=intro%2Fmain.shtml), or access a free 15-day trial.*Existing Nik users will be upgraded to the entire Nik collection for free, through an email that will be sent out in the next few days.

Article Link: Google Releases $149 Nik Software Plug-in Bundle for Photoshop, Lightroom, and Aperture (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/25/google-releases-149-nik-software-plug-in-bundle-for-photoshop-lightroom-and-aperture/)

rageguy
Mar 25, 2013, 06:11 PM
Use coupon code DZISER to drop the price further down to $126.

madbard
Mar 25, 2013, 06:13 PM
Why does Google want to get into the selling software business?

Radio
Mar 25, 2013, 06:15 PM
This is great news for the community .

Thank you Google.

ChrisA
Mar 25, 2013, 06:20 PM

So that all the software engineers at NIK can get a paycheck.

e-coli
Mar 25, 2013, 06:33 PM
Didn't most everybody switch to VSCO a long time ago?

DesterWallaboo
Mar 25, 2013, 06:38 PM
I used to use NIK software for much of my workflow... since Google acquired it, I've shifted over to VSCO and other tools.

Just say no to supporting datamining companies that sell your personal information to whoever wants it.

HiRez
Mar 25, 2013, 06:43 PM
The only reasonable way to read this is that they're killing this software, which is a shame. I'm sure they will use the technology elsewhere, but I think this spells the end of the Nik packages as we know them. I can't see Google being in the business of maintaining and selling this software, it's not what they do.

Too bad Adobe didn't buy them and integrate Nik's tools directly into Lightroom, that would have been amazing.

r.harris1
Mar 25, 2013, 07:05 PM
The only reasonable way to read this is that they're killing this software, which is a shame. I'm sure they will use the technology elsewhere, but I think this spells the end of the Nik packages as we know them. I can't see Google being in the business of maintaining and selling this software, it's not what they do.

Too bad Adobe didn't buy them and integrate Nik's tools directly into Lightroom, that would have been amazing.

I'm not really sure I agree, only because they put some non trivial work into this release by packaging up the suite into one installer and unified licenses, which wasn't true when I originally bought it. I think they're also responding to onOne's recent promotion, which was essentially "we'll always be here, when others won't" (no names, of course :)) and responding to other criticism. Now, that said, google will drop software at the drop of a hat so we'll have to see, but I guess I view this as more positive than negative.

ijohn.8.80
Mar 25, 2013, 07:05 PM
Looks like Google could go two ways with this:

Rip the guts out of the Nik Bundle and use it for themselves only on the X Phone as their version of the instagram thingy, stopping sales and support of the bundle along the way
Do the aforementioned and keep the bundle package selling also

Mike Oxard
Mar 25, 2013, 07:06 PM
Bugger, bought it about six weeks ago for the full price minus the usual discount :(

audio_inside
Mar 25, 2013, 07:18 PM

Too bad Apple didn't buy them and integrate Nik's tools directly into Aperture and release it as 4.0.

Saladinos
Mar 25, 2013, 07:35 PM
Google are having a bit of a trust problem at the moment, aren't they?

Ever since Reader, people seem less willing to invest time learning how to use their products and depending on them, since they feel Google is far too willing to let popular and needed products die.

You expect that with paid software (such as this); nobody's going to pay cash money for a product with no future. The sharp discount could be interpreted either as a push for growth, or a fire-sale for a suite that will stagnate.

What's more interesting is that we're starting to see it with Google's "free" services. I've always wondered what would happen long-term to the ad-supported, zero-cost software model Google pushes. I'm not convinced that you can totally finance the entire world with advertisements, and I think it's far more restrictive in terms of competition.

Now it seems Google might have started the rot themselves. I've seen a lot of bashing of the new 'Google Ideas' app because people feel Evernote more reliable in the long-term, for example.

Google need to defuse the feeling of medium/long-term uncertainty around their products. It's suddenly emerged to become the biggest threat to their business. If it continues, there's a risk that people won't listen to them or worse, won't believe them.

fsck-y dingo
Mar 25, 2013, 07:37 PM
Bugger, bought it about six weeks ago for the full price minus the usual discount :(

Double check to be sure that it was six weeks ago. If it was on or after Feb 22nd you're able to get some money back.

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/4452357456/google-nik-software-plugins

From the link above:

"If you previously bought any of these plugins, Google isnít going to leave you in the cold for already having dropped a lot of money. If you purchased any individual plugin within the last five years, you get the entire collection for free. If you spent more than $149 on plugins since February 22nd of this year, youíll be refunded the difference."

The article also mentions that this software will continue to be developed further so it's not the end for this plugin package.

jinxedluck84
Mar 25, 2013, 07:48 PM
Is there anything out there that is comparable to Nik? I'm a long time user of their plugins but with the Google acquisition and some other little things (like the lack of a Retina update), I find myself back in the market.

I've played around with DxO Optics Pro and Capture One Pro but neither really fit the bill for me (and VSCO looks like its just filters and film replication).

samcraig
Mar 25, 2013, 07:53 PM
Just say no to supporting datamining companies that sell your personal information to whoever wants it.

What personal information do you believe Google sells to whoever wants it. I'd love to hear this...

needfx
Mar 25, 2013, 08:07 PM
what? no particles?

mdriftmeyer
Mar 25, 2013, 08:46 PM

Probably to avoid the inevitable collapse of their smartphone business without suites of software.

----------

Too bad Apple didn't buy them and integrate Nik's tools directly into Aperture and release it as 4.0.

Probably because anything Nik can do [and borrow from FOSS] Adobe and Apple can do themselves and not charge and additional $149 for said services, but integrate them and extend a public API for them.

Razeus
Mar 25, 2013, 09:50 PM
This a boon for me as I only had the LR version. Now I can use it photoshop all at once via layers instead of creating a tiff for each product since LR only let's you work with one app at a time and creates a brand new file each time.

However, giving a $500 software for $150, I fear we may be near the end of closing this product down for good. Get it while you can guys.

charlituna
Mar 25, 2013, 10:34 PM
"If you previously bought any of these plugins, Google isnít going to leave you in the cold for already having dropped a lot of money. If you purchased any individual plugin within the last five years, you get the entire collection for free. If you spent more than $149 on plugins since February 22nd of this year, youíll be refunded the difference."

Hmm I wonder how they will be tracking this. About a year ago I was given free copies of a couple of the filters by Nik to try out. If they are going by serials I might end up getting the rest of them. Although at that price I don't mind paying if I must

tech4all
Mar 25, 2013, 11:16 PM
I used to use NIK software for much of my workflow... since Google acquired it, I've shifted over to VSCO and other tools.

Yup you sure showed Google :rolleyes:

Better get rid of your Mac and iPhone...Apples gonna get you to!

tekboi
Mar 25, 2013, 11:26 PM

Dude, you're not hurting anybody but yourself with that logic. Pretty sure Google is not missing your money.

chris2kari
Mar 25, 2013, 11:30 PM

Ever since Reader, people seem less willing to invest time learning how to use their products and depending on them, since they feel Google is far too willing to let popular and needed products die.

You expect that with paid software (such as this); nobody's going to pay cash money for a product with no future. The sharp discount could be interpreted either as a push for growth, or a fire-sale for a suite that will stagnate.

What's more interesting is that we're starting to see it with Google's "free" services. I've always wondered what would happen long-term to the ad-supported, zero-cost software model Google pushes. I'm not convinced that you can totally finance the entire world with advertisements, and I think it's far more restrictive in terms of competition.

Now it seems Google might have started the rot themselves. I've seen a lot of bashing of the new 'Google Ideas' app because people feel Evernote more reliable in the long-term, for example.

Google need to defuse the feeling of medium/long-term uncertainty around their products. It's suddenly emerged to become the biggest threat to their business. If it continues, there's a risk that people won't listen to them or worse, won't believe them.
Agreed.
I've been an enthusiastic proponent of Google for a long time but find myself weary of the constant churn of products & services together with an increasing feeling of uneasiness about relying on them for my services.
I saw the writing on the wall 6 months ago & switched from Reader to Feedly+Pocket (and happy with the change thank you). I have a free Google apps account, new sign ups have been discontinued. I'm now getting emails from Google 'inviting' me to 'upgrade' to a paid Google apps business account.. The writing is on the wall, obviously the free accounts will canned altogether soon so I'm window shopping another solution. Gotta say Microsoft's Outlook.com is much slicker than Gmail. Google Docs/Drive has been neutered by only editing in their stupid proprietary format and requiring an insane 4 step process to round trip the files to my machine for editing otherwise.. A free Sky drive account allows slick native editing of Microsoft's file formats (which are ubiquitous & unavoidable).
As the value equation changes I'm surprised to find myself migrating off their platform. They need to do a lot better.
Preparing for life after Google..

Battlefield Fan
Mar 26, 2013, 12:56 AM

Agreed. 4.0 is long overdue.

Zaqfalcon
Mar 26, 2013, 02:16 AM
This is quite good news, at least it hasn't been swept completely under the carpet, for now. It's a great suite of plugins, much more versatile and than VSCO in my opinion, the only pity is it saves as Tiffs not into a new Raw block. Yes it would've been nicer if Apple had bought them and integrated with Aperture but no need to cry over spilt milk. I hope Google improve the update method, it was rather clunky before. I bought the Collection previously but haven't updated the ColorEfex element to number 4 since that came out, getting it for free would be a nice bonus.

Greg.
Mar 26, 2013, 02:22 AM

lol

Futurix
Mar 26, 2013, 03:31 AM

Lately large proportion of Google-related news is about them either:

- shutting some services completely
- shutting services as independent products to integrate them with Google+
- removing compatibility with non-Google services

It is hard to trust the company that does that.

rodrigomarrafao
Mar 26, 2013, 05:04 AM

Thanks God they never bought it. Apple takes ages to implement stuff.

----------

Incredible how people still refuse to understand how google works at this point. This lame personal info argument is not a valid point for more than 10 years.

rodrigomarrafao
Mar 26, 2013, 05:20 AM

Partially agree with your points. This is a behavior google is displaying blatantly only recently. Google is known for their upstanding merge policies and practices, moving entire merged teams to keep working and implementing their knowledge in google projects.

Remember writely and how it become google docs, the former writely CEO is a lead on gdocs today.

Really merging companies and expertise rather than shutting them is what google is all about.

photographypro
Mar 26, 2013, 05:24 AM
I really don't feel the price drop of Nik software to $149 means that it's going away. The photographic market has changed drastically in the last five years. I have been a professional photographer for over 30 years. Before the economy went south, the advent of digital cameras flooded the market with photographers. Then the dip in the economy made that even worse. Today's modern cameras make it possible for someone with little photographic knowledge to produce very good quality pictures. I still shoot professionally, but I am now in the business of photographic education.

As a reminder, Apple's Aperture program was originally $499. Version 2 came out at $199. Version 3 is now $79. Yes, this might be going away.

Adobe's Lightroom program was originally $299. Versions two and three were the same price. Version 4 came out at half of this price, $149. Adobe Lightroom is used by over 90% of the professionals that I know and it's not going away anytime soon. Apple has added Lightroom to the Apple App Store for Mac computers. Interesting!

At $500, only serious professionals and rich amateurs were buying Nik's complete collection. I personally used to own the black-and-white and color collections, which sold for $199 each. Now that the price had dropped to $149 for the complete collection, Google could easily sell 5 to 10 times as many copies of this program, so financially they will come out way ahead. The research and development costs have already been paid. There is also competition from onOne software, which now offers their complete collection for $149 to Nik users.

I believe that Google will continue to develop the software. It will be a very good moneymaker for them. And they can market it to a wider audience. My only regret as a serious professional photographer is that now, like digital cameras, every amateur will have access to this software.

On the positive side, I now have the complete collection, and many more potential student clients!

JGRE
Mar 26, 2013, 06:51 AM

Or Apple with Arperture.........

nwcs
Mar 26, 2013, 07:03 AM
Is there anything out there that is comparable to Nik? I'm a long time user of their plugins but with the Google acquisition and some other little things (like the lack of a Retina update), I find myself back in the market.

I've played around with DxO Optics Pro and Capture One Pro but neither really fit the bill for me (and VSCO looks like its just filters and film replication).

onOne's Perfect Photo Suite is the closest competitor. Then maybe Topaz. VSCO looks more like a competitor of Alien Skin's Exposure. Kinda useless for most things.

cntwtfrmynwmbp
Mar 26, 2013, 07:09 AM
Are these apps/plug-ins retina ready?

Tsuius
Mar 26, 2013, 07:32 AM
I can't believe all the negativity around here! (It must be the ability to hide behind your keyboards)
While I'm not a fan of google and probably never will, how is this anything but GOOD news?!? The software price has dropped 70%! This is not abnormal as all pro photo software has gone down in price in recent years.
Who cares if it's not going to be here tomorrow. Use it today.

redkamel
Mar 26, 2013, 07:33 AM
Between Picasa and nik, google has the most important parts of a photo editing app..

Bubba Satori
Mar 26, 2013, 07:42 AM

:confused:

Is this a trick question?
Let me go ahead and take a stab at it anyway.
They want to get into the software selling business to make money.

GoCubsGo
Mar 26, 2013, 08:13 AM
Are these apps/plug-ins retina ready?

I could be wrong, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Yujenisis
Mar 26, 2013, 08:18 AM
Google by their own admission is a services company, not a software company.

Their unceremonious annual "spring cleaning" practice, while good for a services-oriented company has a chilling effect for potential users of their software. Maybe it's the seeming lack of committed direction the company seems to have outside of its advertising/search business?

Privacy concerns aside, I can't blame prosumers and professionals who tend to develop complex workflows which depend on the software having long term support, being skeptical of Google's experience and commitment to this particular area.

Razeus
Mar 26, 2013, 08:25 AM

LOL, this is funny. I hope you don't use Apple or Microsoft or Adobe products either. I hope you don't shop at eBay or Amazon. You'd be in for a rude awakening.

Some of you guys kill me with this anti-Google stuff. Is that fact that you like unicorns and baking cookies that sensitive?

Besides, while I use VSCO, it's only good for global coloring and film simulation effects. Nik is a much better suite.

samcraig
Mar 26, 2013, 08:26 AM

Their unceremonious annual "spring cleaning" practice, while good for a services-oriented company has a chilling effect for potential users of their software. Maybe it's the seeming lack of committed direction the company seems to have outside of its advertising/search business?

Privacy concerns aside, I can't blame prosumers and professionals who tend to develop complex workflows which depend on the software having long term support, being skeptical of Google's experience and commitment to this particular area.

Well that's why Apple is faltering in the pro market too, isn't it?

Razeus
Mar 26, 2013, 08:28 AM

We can same for Apple. When did Aperture 3 get any updates to put in on par with Lightroom 4? Aperture 3, iWork, and iLife are all abandonware on this point. I've moved on to better supported, cross-platform, non-walled garden applications.

Yujenisis
Mar 26, 2013, 08:49 AM
Well that's why Apple is faltering in the pro market too, isn't it?

We're talking about Google, not Apple.

We can same for Apple. When did Aperture 3 get any updates to put in on par with Lightroom 4? Aperture 3, iWork, and iLife are all abandonware on this point. I've moved on to better supported, cross-platform, non-walled garden applications.

I don't think anyone will argue differently that Apple's support of professional software users has been mixed, at best. If anything, Aperture has gotten the best treatment of Apple's professional apps. RIP Shake. :(

But this is a discussion about Google. About their commitment to a particular piece of software. If you have something to add to the discussion do so by engaging directly with points made by others, adding your own opinions, but not by falling weakly back on using Apple as a red herring or straw man.

Razeus
Mar 26, 2013, 09:14 AM

I don't think anyone will argue differently that Apple's support of professional software users has been mixed, at best. If anything, Aperture has gotten the best treatment of Apple's professional apps. RIP Shake. :(

But this is a discussion about Google. About their commitment to a particular piece of software. If you have something to add to the discussion do so by engaging directly with points made by others, adding your own opinions, but not by falling weakly back on using Apple as a red herring or straw man.

Um, no. We are drawing comparison that this is what companies do if they aren't making the money required to support a product. Bringing up Apple has everything to do with Google.

samcraig
Mar 26, 2013, 09:15 AM

How about you stop playing moderator? It's perfectly logical and appropriate to discuss Apple (on an Apple forum) as it relates to the topic. If you have a problem with it, perhaps you should just ignore those posts?

John.B
Mar 26, 2013, 09:35 AM

I wouldn't buy this beyond a need for the current supported version. IOW, I wouldn't expect this to be upgraded/maintained in the future, Google assurances notwithstanding. OTOH, if these are the full versions of the previous Nik offerings, that is a very good price. If I needed this for a project today, IMO it would still be worth the money (as a one-shot deal).

Adobe could integrate the bits and pieces of Ps useful for image processing (layers?) into Lr today if they wanted to. That would also be amazing. But they won't, because it makes people have to shell out for Ps or a CS subscription.

Too bad Apple took their foot off the gas by failing to update Aperture...

anewman143
Mar 26, 2013, 09:51 AM
Frankly, I'm thrilled with this - I bought the Complete package of plug-ins last week (retail $299, academic price $149) which gave me use in both Lightroom and Aperture - I didn't feel that dropping another $200 to get the photoshop plug-ins was within my budget.

Email yesterday showed the price drop and a link to download "upgrade" - and I was absolutely THRILLED to see that the upgrade also installed the Photoshop plug-ins!

So - explain to me again why this is bad? Look - google haters are google haters...no different than anyone who hates anyone else whether they be Microsoft, Google, Apple etc.

For now at least I have use of the entire suite of plug-ins for a price that I was quite comfortable with...and now the Photoshop ones to boot.

Count me satisfied...

DrKarl
Mar 26, 2013, 10:03 AM

And yet, the Nik acquisition last fall is not that different from when Google acquired @Last, the creator of SketchUp. That became a Google product, was continually updated while Google owned it - both the free version and the paid pro version - and the technology was more tightly integrated with Google Earth.

Google then sold SketchUp to Trimble. Everything about the product continues under the new (third) owner. The user experience has been continuous from @Last to Google and now to Trimble.

I expect, or at least hope, that the Nik product line experience will be similar now that this announcement has been made.

r.harris1
Mar 26, 2013, 10:14 AM
Frankly, I'm thrilled with this - I bought the Complete package of plug-ins last week (retail $299, academic price $149) which gave me use in both Lightroom and Aperture - I didn't feel that dropping another $200 to get the photoshop plug-ins was within my budget.

Email yesterday showed the price drop and a link to download "upgrade" - and I was absolutely THRILLED to see that the upgrade also installed the Photoshop plug-ins!

So - explain to me again why this is bad? Look - google haters are google haters...no different than anyone who hates anyone else whether they be Microsoft, Google, Apple etc.

For now at least I have use of the entire suite of plug-ins for a price that I was quite comfortable with...and now the Photoshop ones to boot.

Count me satisfied...

Completely agreed! My goal is a great image and Nik can definitely be part of the workflow to do that. I can only see this as a good thing. True that google may drop it, but...they haven't yet and now I have more tools at my disposal in more ways. Like you I can now utilize these via layers in photoshop, in addition to aperture and lightroom. Personally, I call that a good thing.

ksgant
Mar 26, 2013, 10:57 AM

Then you should log off the Internet and never come back.

Have any email service with your ISP, or even a private service? If they have any spam control, you do realize they're reading your email looking for spam. that's how it works you know. That's just one aspect of these evil "datamining companies". I suppose you can just set up a private email server at home, but you'll be inundated by spam.

Google has strict policies about what they collect and how they use it. It's all for targeted ads. But hey, I may be wrong. Can you point me to a legit source (meaning a real source and not some fringe website made by some nutcase) that proves that Google sells your personal information to whoever wants it? I want your personal information, how do I get it from Google?

NoneOfYourB
Mar 26, 2013, 11:41 AM
... the only pity is it saves as Tiffs not into a new Raw block.

?
Why would you want to do that?
RAW only exists to keep the unprocessed data from the camera sensor.
If you want to show/print/manipulate the data it needs to be processed.
Converting the data back to RAW would be lossy guesswork.

photographypro
Mar 26, 2013, 02:07 PM
I just got off my computer attending a webinar with Nik instructor Dan Hughes. For those of you who actually use the software, if you've ever watched any of the webinars, I think he is their best instructor. It was a live event. Dan answered many questions, and said that Google has been working on this release for many months, but obviously couldn't say anything about it.

If you look on their video page, they released 22 videos yesterday showing how to use the software. This is in addition to the already hundred and 50+ videos they already have.

Dan says that Google has 100 engineers working just on the pro plug-ins, and that there is a different team that works on the mobile platforms. Basically the mobile team looks at the pro effects, and decides which would be most popular and which could be adapted for mobile devices.

Nik isn't going anywhere!

Glideslope
Mar 26, 2013, 02:32 PM
While I clearly understand much of the feelings in here, it's too good to pass up for Free.

I've wanted HDR Pro, and Silver Pro 2 for a while now for Aperture on my Mac. I'm an Aperture person, and will be as long as possible.

Now it's all on my HD for $0. I simply can't take a stance against that. Even with Google. :)

GuitarDTO
Mar 26, 2013, 05:35 PM
Nik Complete user here along with Aperture. This bundle is a no brainer for $149 IMO. I bought it for $200 I think awhile back. The Nik plugins are great. They are a tad quirky sometimes with Aperture, but other than that I like them.

Igantius
Mar 26, 2013, 05:36 PM
...I think they're also responding to onOne's recent promotion, which was essentially "we'll always be here, when others won't" (no names, of course :)) and responding to other criticism. Now, that said, google will drop software at the drop of a hat so we'll have to see, but I guess I view this as more positive than negative.

Yes, and also, I suspect, Perfect Photo Suite has become more affordable - $149 for the Lightroom and Aperture edition and $79 for the standalone one. The Premium Edition is half-price for a limited time (so $149) to Nik owners.

onOne has also been giving away quite a lot of free presets as well, which has been a very nice bonus.

...If you look on their video page, they released 26 videos yesterday showing how to use the software. This is in addition to the already hundred and 50+ videos they already have.

Only one is dated as March, one in Feb, a few in January and so on - however, I didn't recognise them so perhaps the dates don't tie up with when they've been added to the site? One thing that had been of concern to me is how little new training material had been added since the buyout - as has the lack of communication about the products. Largely because of this and the lack of clarity about what was happening, I've sourced alternative products - it's nice to hear some news (although personally, I would have welcomed some new enhancements), it's come a little late for me. I'm still using the Nik plug-ins, but it's become less and less.

photographypro
Mar 27, 2013, 02:56 AM
Only one is dated as March, one in Feb, a few in January and so on - however, I didn't recognise them so perhaps the dates don't tie up with when they've been added to the site? One thing that had been of concern to me is how little new training material had been added since the buyout - as has the lack of communication about the products. Largely because of this and the lack of clarity about what was happening, I've sourced alternative products - it's nice to hear some news (although personally, I would have welcomed some new enhancements), it's come a little late for me. I'm still using the Nik plug-ins, but it's become less and less.

Here are the newest videos. 22 were released on the 25th, with the release of the Nik Complete Collection: http://www.youtube.com/user/NikSoftwareLessons/videos?flow=list&view=0

Kebabselector
Mar 27, 2013, 04:35 AM
Had a quick play with the plugins last night - I think some of my money might be heading to Google shortly :eek:

jinxedluck84
Mar 27, 2013, 04:44 AM
Anyone using onOne's suite on a MBP(R)? I'd download the trial but I'm currently in a country in which the Internet speeds are as slow as molasses.

sevimli
Mar 27, 2013, 09:56 AM
I just got off my computer attending a webinar with Nik instructor Dan Hughes. For those of you who actually use the software, if you've ever watched any of the webinars, I think he is their best instructor. It was a live event. Dan answered many questions, and said that Google has been working on this release for many months, but obviously couldn't say anything about it.

If you look on their video page, they released 22 videos yesterday showing how to use the software. This is in addition to the already hundred and 50+ videos they already have.

Dan says that Google has 100 engineers working just on the pro plug-ins, and that there is a different team that works on the mobile platforms. Basically the mobile team looks at the pro effects, and decides which would be most popular and which could be adapted for mobile devices.

Is this collection an updated version of the previous versions, or they packaged them all into a bundle. :confused:

Razeus
Mar 27, 2013, 10:03 AM
Is this collection an updated version of the previous versions, or they packaged them all into a bundle. :confused:

Both...

----------

I wouldn't buy this beyond a need for the current supported version. IOW, I wouldn't expect this to be upgraded/maintained in the future, Google assurances notwithstanding. OTOH, if these are the full versions of the previous Nik offerings, that is a very good price. If I needed this for a project today, IMO it would still be worth the money (as a one-shot deal).

Adobe could integrate the bits and pieces of Ps useful for image processing (layers?) into Lr today if they wanted to. That would also be amazing. But they won't, because it makes people have to shell out for Ps or a CS subscription.

Too bad Apple took their foot off the gas by failing to update Aperture...

All Aperture would need is feature for feature LR 4 updates and add in Layers within the software. That would be killer. But Aperture is abandonware at this point.

Mike Oxard
Mar 27, 2013, 11:22 AM
Double check to be sure that it was six weeks ago. If it was on or after Feb 22nd you're able to get some money back.

From the link above:

The article also mentions that this software will continue to be developed further so it's not the end for this plugin package.

Thanks, we got it on the 13th! I'll send them an email, they may take pity!

r.harris1
Mar 27, 2013, 12:11 PM
Both...

----------

All Aperture would need is feature for feature LR 4 updates and add in Layers within the software. That would be killer. But Aperture is abandonware at this point.

I realize the above is your standard line on any Aperture discussion :), but really, I'd challenge Apple to go well above anything LR 4 has to offer, not merely match some feature set. Not really a big fan of the LR UI or workflow so that's an area that Aperture can actually do more. And implementing their own approach to layers like some of the recent patents indicate they might do would be pretty cool too.

Razeus
Mar 27, 2013, 12:58 PM
I realize the above is your standard line on any Aperture discussion :), but really, I'd challenge Apple to go well above anything LR 4 has to offer, not merely match some feature set. Not really a big fan of the LR UI or workflow so that's an area that Aperture can actually do more. And implementing their own approach to layers like some of the recent patents indicate they might do would be pretty cool too.

;)

It just irks my nerves that Apple can't release a statement for their pro software users. But what Google just did with Nik Software is the same thing Apple did when they dropped Aperture 3's price from $199 to $79. Firehouse sale = no more support/updates.

talmy
Mar 27, 2013, 01:07 PM
;)

But what Google just did with Nik Software is the same thing Apple did when they dropped Aperture 3's price from $199 to $79. Firehouse sale = no more support/updates.

There have been updates to Aperture since the price dropped to $79 that added some new editing features, some UI changes, and the ability to open and use iPhoto libraries. Last update was November 12, 2012. And there have been many OS updates to RAW camera support. Nik Software just released a couple dozen new tutorial videos. Both products are being supported.

KdParker
Mar 27, 2013, 01:07 PM
Yup you sure showed Google :rolleyes:

Better get rid of your Mac and iPhone...Apples gonna get you to!

He is not completely wrong. They are alway's tracking your surfing habits.

oldgeezer
Mar 27, 2013, 01:53 PM
?
Why would you want to do that?
RAW only exists to keep the unprocessed data from the camera sensor.
If you want to show/print/manipulate the data it needs to be processed.
Converting the data back to RAW would be lossy guesswork.
Nikon's Capture NX software uses the NIK control point editing technology and it is absolutely great. The way it's integrated into Capture the changes are kept separate from the native raw data so that the original image sensor data is completely unchanged. The editing was so powerful that I fought the switch to Lightroom even though Nikon Capture's image management software was pretty weak compared to Lightroom.

Lightroom finally won out because of the tight integration of image management and editing. I figured I'd add Viveza to Lightroom as a plug-in and have the best of all worlds. That's where the conversion to TIFF problem became obvious. Now, in order to maintain the integrity of the original RAW file I have to save it but in order to use NIK's plug-ins I also have to convert it to a TIFF -- which is, incidentally, a much larger file than the original raw file. Now, instead of a 20 megabyte raw file, I have a 20 mb raw file plus an additional 70 megabyte TIFF of the same image. Do this to too many images and you'll eat up storage space like crazy - roughly 10 images per gigabyte.

Plus having two different formats of the same image just complicates the image management problem much further.

That's not to say the NIK plug-ins aren't good and useful, but having them work on the raw file without duplication would make them much better and more useful.

John.B
Mar 27, 2013, 01:57 PM

Sadly, I agree with you.

wvanbeckum
Mar 27, 2013, 02:11 PM
Lots of people are saying that this is a move towards phasing out NIK software... I can say with certainty that this is not true. I work with NIK software, and I've talked with several higher ups at Google about this price cut. The price cut is an effort to make the software accessible to more people. Why would they spend all that $ and then just drop support for NIK? They're hoping to increase popularity by lowering price... no brainer.

Razeus
Mar 27, 2013, 02:25 PM
Lots of people are saying that this is a move towards phasing out NIK software... I can say with certainty that this is not true. I work with NIK software, and I've talked with several higher ups at Google about this price cut. The price cut is an effort to make the software accessible to more people. Why would they spend all that $ and then just drop support for NIK? They're hoping to increase popularity by lowering price... no brainer.

They told you what you wanted to hear.

----------

Nikon's Capture NX software uses the NIK control point editing technology and it is absolutely great. The way it's integrated into Capture the changes are kept separate from the native raw data so that the original image sensor data is completely unchanged. The editing was so powerful that I fought the switch to Lightroom even though Nikon Capture's image management software was pretty weak compared to Lightroom.

Lightroom finally won out because of the tight integration of image management and editing. I figured I'd add Viveza to Lightroom as a plug-in and have the best of all worlds. That's where the conversion to TIFF problem became obvious. Now, in order to maintain the integrity of the original RAW file I have to save it but in order to use NIK's plug-ins I also have to convert it to a TIFF -- which is, incidentally, a much larger file than the original raw file. Now, instead of a 20 megabyte raw file, I have a 20 mb raw file plus an additional 70 megabyte TIFF of the same image. Do this to too many images and you'll eat up storage space like crazy - roughly 10 images per gigabyte.

Plus having two different formats of the same image just complicates the image management problem much further.

That's not to say the NIK plug-ins aren't good and useful, but having them work on the raw file without duplication would make them much better and more useful.

That's not possible. Even Photoshop makes you use the RAW converter THEN creates a .TIFF for you to work with in Photoshop...Nik is no different.

r.harris1
Mar 27, 2013, 02:39 PM

No one to my knowledge saves back to the original camera RAW file. ACR will save adjustments separately as a sidecar file or other method, but when you edit, you're editing TIFF, as I understand it, Nik or otherwise.

Edit: whoops! Didn't see Razeus' response.

oldgeezer
Mar 27, 2013, 04:04 PM
No one to my knowledge saves back to the original camera RAW file. ACR will save adjustments separately as a sidecar file or other method, but when you edit, you're editing TIFF, as I understand it, Nik or otherwise.

Edit: whoops! Didn't see Razeus' response.

Photoshop doesn't do non-destructive editing. It allows edits at the pixel level and thus saves the file to a format other than raw. Lightroom, on the other hand, does non-destructive editing. A file of edits to the raw image is saved but the original raw image data is totally unchanged.

This is also true of Nikon's Capture NX.

If you edit a Tiff or jpeg there's no going back once you save it. With both Lightroom and Capture NX you always can go back to the original raw image and re-edit to you heart's desire.

oldgeezer
Mar 27, 2013, 04:18 PM
They told you what you wanted to hear.

----------

That's not possible. Even Photoshop makes you use the RAW converter THEN creates a .TIFF for you to work with in Photoshop...Nik is no different.

Yes, Photoshop makes you use a raw converter. But what that raw converter does is interpret the myriad of different raw file formats from the individual camera manufacturers to a common internal format for adobe's use. Every time Canon, for example, comes out with a new model Adobe Camera Raw must be updated to be able to read the raw format for that new model. Hence the number of updates Adobe issues to ACR.

Adobe has been pushing a format called .dng which is a "standard" raw format so in the future files in that format will be readable even if the camera manufacture drops support for their native raw format. It will still be a raw file, but the data format will be "standard" - much like Adobe has created the PDF standard.

r.harris1
Mar 27, 2013, 04:23 PM
Photoshop doesn't do non-destructive editing. It allows edits at the pixel level and thus saves the file to a format other than raw. Lightroom, on the other hand, does non-destructive editing. A file of edits to the raw image is saved but the original raw image data is totally unchanged.

This is also true of Nikon's Capture NX.

If you edit a Tiff or jpeg there's no going back once you save it. With both Lightroom and Capture NX you always can go back to the original raw image and re-edit to you heart's desire.

Yes, sorry, I thought you were originally saying that LR saves your changes to the original RAW file, which it doesn't do, but yes, it does save the edits separately, similar to Aperture and other tools. Only when you are going to do something with it outside of that system (printing, pixel-level editing, plugins) will it save it off in another format (TIFF, JPEG, PSD, etc).

boombashi
Mar 27, 2013, 08:57 PM
I just bought the NIK bundle like 2 weeks ago and I was wondering why there was a credit for $150 on my CC. Thanks Google, here some were saying you may kill it.

Lets see, you give me the PS filters for free and you give me back $150...nice

Razeus
Mar 28, 2013, 10:17 AM
Worked on some photos last night. Having these work in Photoshop is REAL time saver. My LR workflow was pretty lame with only the LR plug ins since each plug in created it's own .tiff. To be able to do this in Photoshop via layers in go (and be able to save the individual layers) is freaking fantastic. :cool:

Analog Kid
Mar 29, 2013, 04:13 AM
Warning: Includes Google Software Update payload.

Wish they warned me about that before I purchased, never would have wasted the money. It's now clear that I can't install any Google software under OS X-- apparently putting that little trojan in is their first priority after any acquisition.

samcraig
Mar 29, 2013, 07:28 AM

Wish they warned me about that before I purchased, never would have wasted the money. It's now clear that I can't install any Google software under OS X-- apparently putting that little trojan in is their first priority after any acquisition.

How so. Wouldn't that be there to alert you as to a software update? How different than what Apple or any other software does? What am I missing?

Razeus
Mar 29, 2013, 08:09 AM
How so. Wouldn't that be there to alert you as to a software update? How different than what Apple or any other software does? What am I missing?

He's just paranoid like most anti-Google people. The funny thing is, they act as if Apple, Microsoft, Twitter, Facebook, AOL, Yahoo, etc. don't do the same thing. It's not like they have access to your social security number and are stealing your paychecks and 401k money. :rolleyes: They are just people trying to sell you stuff like any other ad company since ad companies began. Not a big deal. The internet is public by nature.

samcraig
Mar 29, 2013, 08:20 AM
He's just paranoid like most anti-Google people. The funny thing is, they act as if Apple, Microsoft, Twitter, Facebook, AOL, Yahoo, etc. don't do the same thing. It's not like they have access to your social security number and are stealing your paychecks and 401k money. :rolleyes:

Indeed. I'm always diligent about my personal information. But Google and the like are small potatoes when compared to companies like Acxiom.

TimTheEnchanter
Mar 29, 2013, 12:14 PM
I totally lucked out on this deal. Last year a good friend sent me a link to get the full Color Efex Pro 3.0 for free... yes, a legit license that a German photo publication and Nik promo had running at the time.

So for the hell of it, I sent support an email along with my serial and they replied that I was totally eligible! Downloaded and installed. I was just about ready to buy Silver Efex here before they announced this.

I also own onOne Perfect Photo Suite and I have to say the Nik software is better in many ways, but PPS has a few components Nik doesn't.

Anyway, had to share.... SCORE! :D

appleloverz
Mar 29, 2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks admin :D:D

Analog Kid
Apr 1, 2013, 12:13 AM
It is a separate process that is always on, whether I'm running Google software or not. It doesn't alert me to new software, it updates when it cares to. It doesn't only update the software I ask it to, it updates whatever it wishes. It has the power to replace root owned processes and kernel extensions. If I remove it, it gets automatically reinstalled.

It is, in essence, a root kit.

It is different from what Apple software does in most of the above ways (Apple's runs at my request, updates only what I ask it to, etc) plus in one very important additional way: I purchased my computer and operating system from Apple, not Google. The relationship I have with my OS vendor is different than what I have with the maker of photography plug-ins for my photo management application. I don't expect every piece of software I install to open a catheter to the internet.
He's just paranoid like most anti-Google people. The funny thing is, they act as if Apple, Microsoft, Twitter, Facebook, AOL, Yahoo, etc. don't do the same thing. It's not like they have access to your social security number and are stealing your paychecks and 401k money. :rolleyes: They are just people trying to sell you stuff like any other ad company since ad companies began. Not a big deal. The internet is public by nature.
Look, I recognize that these forums have recently been overrun by Google shills, and that suggesting that Uncle Google isn't a faultless and benevolent benefactor without spending twice as much time pointing out that Apple is worse leads to an astroturf outcry, but I would appreciate being able to answer for myself if someone asks me what I mean.

I do believe their system leaves openings for security vulnerabilities in the same way the infamous, and righteous, Sony software did in the past. I'm not the only one to have looked at it and to have drawn that conclusion. Uncle Google will tell you so if you ask him.

I'm not going to waste my time trying appear balanced by enumerating all the flaws in every other company on the internet when it has no relevance to the topic at hand. I'm also not going to waste my time talking about how wonderful Google is and how I hope I don't hurt their feelings by pointing out this one minor oversight.

In this case, the companies you mention don't do what Google Software Update does. Even if they did, that doesn't mean we should just quietly accept it-- that's what the free market is all about. We vote with our dollars. Nik gives me and others an opportunity to vote against Google Software Update.

The naturally public internet allows me to share the information I've found through my own error with others.

I suppose another part of the free market and public internet is your making ad hominem attacks against me rather than saying anything relevant. Of course, I do have to say I enjoyed how you follow your "he's paranoid" attack with "and they all do it." Not that it has anything to do with the point I was actually making, but watching you so eager to come to Google's defense that you contradict yourself in two sentences was a treat.

Razeus
Apr 1, 2013, 08:11 AM
It is a separate process that is always on, whether I'm running Google software or not. It doesn't alert me to new software, it updates when it cares to. It doesn't only update the software I ask it to, it updates whatever it wishes. It has the power to replace root owned processes and kernel extensions. If I remove it, it gets automatically reinstalled.

It is different from what Apple software does in most of the above ways (Apple's runs at my request, updates only what I ask it to, etc) plus in one very important additional way: I purchased my computer and operating system from Apple, not Google. The relationship I have with my OS vendor is different than what I have with the maker of photography plug-ins for my photo management application. I don't expect every piece of software I install to open a catheter to the internet.

Look, I recognize that these forums have recently been overrun by Google shills, and that suggesting that Uncle Google isn't a faultless and benevolent benefactor without spending twice as much time pointing out that Apple is worse leads to an astroturf outcry, but I would appreciate being able to answer for myself if someone asks me what I mean.

I do believe their system leaves openings for security vulnerabilities in the same way the infamous, and righteous, Sony software did in the past. I'm not the only one to have looked at it and to have drawn that conclusion. Uncle Google will tell you so if you ask him.

I'm not going to waste my time trying appear balanced by enumerating all the flaws in every other company on the internet when it has no relevance to the topic at hand. I'm also not going to waste my time talking about how wonderful Google is and how I hope I don't hurt their feelings by pointing out this one minor oversight.

In this case, the companies you mention don't do what Google Software Update does. Even if they did, that doesn't mean we should just quietly accept it-- that's what the free market is all about. We vote with our dollars. Nik gives me and others an opportunity to vote against Google Software Update.

The naturally public internet allows me to share the information I've found through my own error with others.

I suppose another part of the free market and public internet is your making ad hominem attacks against me rather than saying anything relevant. Of course, I do have to say I enjoyed how you follow your "he's paranoid" attack with "and they all do it." Not that it has anything to do with the point I was actually making, but watching you so eager to come to Google's defense that you contradict yourself in two sentences was a treat.

It's clear I hurt your feelings.

Anyways, as to your "root kit" theory, anyone with basic computer knowledge would find this -

http://support.google.com/installer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=100386

If you'd prefer not to have Google Software Update on your system, please follow the steps below to uninstall it:

Uninstall any Google programs you currently have installed on your computer.
Failing to uninstall your Google applications may cause these applications to work improperly and, in many cases, Google Software Update will be reinstalled after a few hours.
Open a Terminal window by going to Applications > Utilities in Finder.
Google Software Update can be uninstalled for a specific user or for your whole system. Paste one of the following commands in Terminal:
Uninstall for a specific user:
~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/Resources/GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent.app/Contents/Resources/install.py --uninstall

Uninstall for the whole system: (needs root access)
sudo /Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/Resources/GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent.app/Contents/Resources/install.py --uninstall

After pasting the command, press Enter on your keyboard.
Google Software Update should now be uninstalled.

And if you're really worried, you can go here: http://wireload.net/products/guu-google-update-uninstaller/

But I know, Google is out to get you and destroy your life.

Analog Kid
Apr 1, 2013, 12:59 PM
Anyways, as to your "root kit" theory, anyone with basic computer knowledge would find this -

http://support.google.com/installer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=100386

And if you're really worried, you can go here: http://wireload.net/products/guu-google-update-uninstaller/
That's not a long page to comprehend. Anyone with basic literacy skills would draw three key pieces of information from that link:

1) Like any good malware, it reinstalls itself if you don't eradicate every last piece of the infection.

2) Every last piece of the infection includes "any Google programs".

3) There is no uninstall, instead you must go into Terminal, hunt down the offending process which could be in a couple of places, and rm it as superuser.

This has all the hallmarks of a Bad Thing: This software is installed stealthily. It has root privilege to circumvent proper permissions control. It has no UI to indicate that it's there at all, that it's modifying your system, or to control its behavior. It has no uninstalller and requires more advanced skills to remove it than to install it. If incompletely removed, it reinstalls itself without notice. It has built up a cottage industry of vaccination tools.

Sorry, I know you want to believe that Uncle Google has your best interests in mind, but this doesn't sound like the behavior or removal instructions for something happy.

Next time you might benefit from reading your own posts to determine if you're supporting your own point or the one you're arguing against. If they're supporting the point you're arguing against then stop arguing, concede the point, and offer the information neutrally.
It's clear I hurt your feelings.
But I know, Google is out to get you and destroy your life.
:confused: Hurt my feelings because someone on the internet doesn't understand the technology they use? Hardly. It's sad, but in the same way homelessness is sad. I'd like to help, but sometimes people need to want to be helped.

Irritated me because I'm tired of seeing a forum I've been coming to for a decade, and where I used to be able to have intelligent conversations, get overrun by hair triggered zealots ready to surround and bludgeon anyone they suspect of a thought crime against Google? Yeah, that's closer to the mark.

You'll notice I didn't say anywhere that Google was out to get anyone. I didn't say anywhere that Google Software Update was after my personal information. I never drew a comparison between Google and any other company. I simply expressed dismay that the software I paid for contained a component that I and others see as badly designed and dangerous, and that this software was inseparable from my purchase without freezing my new purchase in time. I shared my experience so others would be aware of this fact.

You, on the other hand, seem to feel I've offended your one true god and you must enter the belly of the beast and slay those you suspect of worshipping false idols.

Anyone with basic computer knowledge would find this:
Warning Signs of a Brainwashed Victim (http://drphil.com/articles/article/578)

Razeus
Apr 1, 2013, 01:14 PM
Then I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Analog Kid
Apr 1, 2013, 01:51 PM
Then I guess we'll agree to disagree.
:confused: Disagree about what? Aside from your derisive slights, it seems to me we agree on everything.

Maybe you've forgotten my post that set you off:

We agree that GSU is included, we agree about what it does, we agree about how it's installed and removed and I suspect we agree that if I don't want to deal with GSU, I shouldn't install Google software.

It seems that the only thing we actually disagree about is whether someone can not like any small thing about Google products without being attacked for it. On that, I agree that we disagree.

DesterWallaboo
Apr 1, 2013, 03:39 PM

I love you man.... :)

typeadam
Apr 1, 2013, 04:05 PM
Awesome bundle for those who like that mix. I prefer Photomatix for HDR but the other software included is rather great!

DesterWallaboo
Apr 1, 2013, 04:06 PM
Awesome bundle for those who like that mix. I prefer Photomatix for HDR but the other software included is rather great!

Photomatix is definitely the better HDR solution.

Razeus
Apr 1, 2013, 04:51 PM
Perhaps you should re-read your posts and your anti-Google crusade...

Analog Kid
Apr 4, 2013, 12:43 PM
Perhaps you should re-read your posts and your anti-Google crusade...

Should I start with the first one where I say I just gave $150 to the company you think I have a crusade against?

Seriously consider the possibility that Google Software Update is a Bad Thing. If you come to the conclusion that it isn't, consider the possibility that someone else might think that it is-- not because they have a vendetta against Google, but because it violates a list of well established security and user interaction rules.

Then reread those posts again. Am I crusading against the company, or am I concerned about a piece of software that the company puts out. Am I spending more (or any) time attacking the company, or mostly responding to people who have attacked me for being concerned.

DesterWallaboo
Apr 4, 2013, 01:27 PM
Should I start with the first one where I say I just gave $150 to the company you think I have a crusade against?

Seriously consider the possibility that Google Software Update is a Bad Thing. If you come to the conclusion that it isn't, consider the possibility that someone else might think that it is-- not because they have a vendetta against Google, but because it violates a list of well established security and user interaction rules.

Then reread those posts again. Am I crusading against the company, or am I concerned about a piece of software that the company puts out. Am I spending more (or any) time attacking the company, or mostly responding to people who have attacked me for being concerned.

I use Little Snitch to block Google Software Update.... I'm of the same thinking as you. I block any similar software devices from ANY company that isn't specifically authorized for the updating of my OS.

Analog Kid
Apr 4, 2013, 02:37 PM
I use Little Snitch to block Google Software Update.... I'm of the same thinking as you. I block any similar software devices from ANY company that isn't specifically authorized for the updating of my OS.
Yeah, LS is what alerted me to Google Software Update starting up. That tool is a godsend... It does require patience though.

Mike Oxard
Apr 7, 2013, 11:09 AM

From the link above:

Just to update on this, we bought it about a week before the 30 day cut -off period, however we contacted Google and they still refunded the difference to get us down to the new price :) TBH the app was worth the old price for us, so the money back is a real bonus.

fsck-y dingo
Apr 22, 2013, 07:22 PM
Just to update on this, we bought it about a week before the 30 day cut -off period, however we contacted Google and they still refunded the difference to get us down to the new price :) TBH the app was worth the old price for us, so the money back is a real bonus.

That's great! Glad to hear they're being a bit flexible for recent buyers.

I've been away for a bit and haven't logged in for a few weeks or I would have responded sooner. :)