Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pedfre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Hi,
I´m new on Mac lifestyle, planning on buying a G5 Dual 2.0 (or 2.3).
I´d like to ask if someone knows the strenghts/weeknesses of the G5 Duals - like a friend of mine had problems with the eletric cable on his Dual (yes, it seems pathetic, but he did).
Also, if it is too stupid to buy a 2.0 to edit Video and Sound and not expending a little bit else and buying a Quad...
Thanks for any info :)

RatVega

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2005
Southern California
There aren't really any "gotchas" with the G5s, they're all pretty nice.

As with all things, more is better, so go as high on the pecking order as you can.

If you're only going to be cutting DV or HDV, just about any dual processor G5 will get the job done, if you have an affinity for gonzo effects, compositing, etc. then like I said, bigger is better.

An option you might want to consider if you can't go all the way to the Quad might be a new "last generation" G5 like the 2.7 dualie. If you can find one at a good price, the 2.7 or even the 2.5 will be faster than the single/dual core boxes just released. Expansion is also less expensive because of the change in RAM specs.

Whatever you get, get at least 2-4GB RAM (good aftermarket is OK), as much disk as possible (internal is better) and if you want to get crazy with Motion, a fast graphics card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.