Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prophet621

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
I've been trying to put some old home videos from when my daughter was younger onto a DVD. So I converted them into a format that imovie could use and imported them. I went to add the last video file and was told there wasn't enough HD space. I was a bit suprised to find that out since they were only slightly over a gig total before I imported them.

Now I can't help but wonder how this hour of video will fit onto a DVD. Was this just a complete waste of time?

Applespider

macrumors G4
That's a heck of a lot. An hour of DV video (not HD) usually takes around 13GB - have you copied any twice? Try clearing out your iMovie trash just in case? What format did you get it converted into?

Generally, it's fairly easy to get an hour of good quality DVD from your 13GB since it gets compressed so I doubt you've wasted your time entirely.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
prophet621 said:
Now I can't help but wonder how this hour of video will fit onto a DVD. Was this just a complete waste of time?

They would fit onto a DVD by being compressed to mpeg-2 format. This is the standard for (Non-highdef) DVDs today, and shows little to no loss in quality. iDVD does this behind-the-scenes when you go to burn your project (This is the step taht takes the longest when burning). An hour of DV video should fit quite nicely on a single DVD.

prophet621

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
The movies were from my Sony standard 8mm camcorder. They were in avi format that I couldn't get imovie to import so I went back to my windows machine, used TMPEG and converted them to mpeg. 5 videos from 40 megs to 500 megs totaling right about a GB so needless to say they aren't anywhere close to high res but my daughter loves watching them so I want to put them on DVD for her.

I checked the trash on imovie and 0 files for 0 kb and my project size is 25.2 GB. Total length of video files are about 70 minutes. A 2 minute 59 second video is 1.64 GB. That's insane!

So, any suggestions? I just can't understand why this is so large. I didn't change any settings and just imported the mpgs. Is there a setting I missed that caused them to import at this insane file size?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
If you haven't already figured something out I'd suggest deleting it all and starting from scratch. Maybe it was just some odd fluke thing that happened.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.