Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fietsbel

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
I have found a lot of related topics regarding this subject via the search but here's a little twist to my question.

Currently i'm working on a mac air 2010 with the dedicated 320M nvidia chip attached to a cinema 27" screen. Starcraft 2 is "playable" in some sort of way (all settings low on 1280x720), but playing online with many units on the screen is no fun. Therefor i;m looking for a new (apple) computer.

The mac mini would be perfect since i already have a screen. The Mac Mini 2011 with Ati 6630m chip should be a good improvement over my current computer.
Intel core2duo 1.4ghz VS intel i5 2.5 ghz and the videocard: nvidia 320m vs ati 6630m. Internal memory 4GB vs 16GB

According to Notebookcheck, the performance between the chips is as following(included the HD 4000 from the mac mini 2012)
full.png

Are these numbers correct from notebookcheck? i would expect a bigger difference between the GPU's.

Video's on youtube shows the game is running smooth on the iMac 2011 (ati) but they don;t include framerate.

Last edited:

Oujmik

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
I play SC2 on my 2012 Mini i7 and get pretty decent performance at 1920x1080 with moderate settings (looks pretty nice). From memory I think it struggles a little bit in really big battles, but the FPS it perfectly good most of the time, so much so that I don't notice it. I think it;s generally around 50 in untaxing situations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.