Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benhama

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
Guernsey
I have just purchased a new 27" iMac which comes with Mountain Lion. My wife has an older 21.5" iMac and would like to upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion. Do I have to purchase another copy from the App Store, or can I use the licence I have on the 27" iMac? Both Macs are associated with the same Apple Account, and I know that in the past that purchasing from the App Store has allowed up to 3 downloads I believe?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have just purchased a new 27" iMac which comes with Mountain Lion. My wife has an older 21.5" iMac and would like to upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion. Do I have to purchase another copy from the App Store, or can I use the licence I have on the 27" iMac? Both Macs are associated with the same Apple Account, and I know that in the past that purchasing from the App Store has allowed up to 3 downloads I believe?

Not gonna work. You did not buy Mountain Lion in the App Store since it came with your machine, so if you look in the purchases section of the App Store on your computer you will notice Mountain Lion is not there.

Now if your 27" machine had only come with Lion and you bought Mountain Lion in the App Store, then yes... if you logged on to the App Store with the same AppleID you would have seen Mountain Lion in the purchases list and you could have legally downloaded it for the 21.5" machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.