Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I can not for the life of me figure out this pop-is!! I've spent the last 20 minutes rebooting my computer and taking screen shots but with no luck, it is almost like it won't register with the screen shot. Anyway, I gave up on that and am here for all help and support :) !

So like I said, if I turn on from a cold-start, or a reboot it pops up about 2-3 seconds after login. If you want me personal opinion, it has to do with something with my Hewlett-Packard Wi-Fi Printer (just a guess) that is only about 2 months old. I can't make out anything on the pop-up other than "Allow" and "Deny" (at least I think thats what it says.)

As far as computer functions go, everything is running great! I am on Mountain Lion 10.8.3 and there are no problems. I take great physical care, as well, as just great "maintenance" of my Mac.

Here are the features: Late 2010 MacBook Air, Intel Core 2 Duo 1.4ghz, 2gb RAM, 128gb SSD. She runs great, couldn't be happier with my MacBook Air.

Anyone have any options on how I can grab a screen shot of this pop-up or use any other way of finding out what it is/who it's made by?

I know you guys will always help, but I also throw in a premature Thank You Very Much, in case I don't get back as soon as I'd like. THANK YOU EVERYONE. Questions for me? Please go ahead and ASK AWAY!!!

~SRL

Jrtesq

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2012
Anyone have any options on how I can grab a screen shot of this pop-up or use any other way of finding out what it is/who it's made by?

Why don't you just snap a shot with your phone? Or take a video if you want to make sure you don't accidentally miss the 2-3 second window of time.

As to the overall point of your post: I have no idea what the pop-up is, and I haven't seen it on my machine. If you are able to take a photo, or grab a frame from a video, and post it here, maybe someone who is more knowledgeable than I am can help.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
It goes by soooo fast I could never get the camera on the iPhone to capture it. I tried doing screenshots via command+control+3 (or whatever it is.) I literally tried 13 times and could not get a screen shot to capture the pop-up! I could have swore I got it once but it showed nothing!!!! It has to be something that is on start-up, how could I go through and test things like that?

I am kind of new to OS X so I am not 100% sure of all the ways you could do it, and I am still a bit hesitant to mess around with the "innards" of the OS.

Is there any list on the internet that lists all the things that SHOULD be open at Startup so I can compare to my Startup options?? I guess that is the best way to go about this??

Once again, Thank You all so much for reading/helping!

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Okay friends, I found out what it is. It is a Java message as stated:

"Do you want the application "Java" to accept incoming network connections?

Clicking Deny may limit the application's behavior. This setting can be changed in the Firewall pane of security & privacy preferences."

The weird thing is I uninstalled Java completely and this is still popping up. Anyone know why that would be? Seems odd to me a uninstalled program would be making the OS ask security questions on it's behalf.

So I go into the Firewall settings and Java isn't listed, as a I suspected since I uninstalled it, however, if I click the little "+" sign I can add Java to the list and choose whether or not to allow a connection. Kind of weird if you ask me.

So what should I do?? Allow Java access or not?? Any help is much appreciated!!

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
having that too for a few weeks now... pops up and disappears so fast I had no idea what it was until now :-D

will change the FW to 'deny', no reason for incoming connections to anything other than bit torrent.

cheers

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
having that too for a few weeks now... pops up and disappears so fast I had no idea what it was until now :-D

will change the FW to 'deny', no reason for incoming connections to anything other than bit torrent.

cheers

Did it work out for you okay, buddy? Once I fixed last night I have had zero pop-ups! Which even though it clearly was not a serious system resource hog, it made me feel good to get rid of it!!!

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
Did it work out for you okay, buddy? Once I fixed last night I have had zero pop-ups! Which even though it clearly was not a serious system resource hog, it made me feel good to get rid of it!!!

seems like it worked, but what program did you add? I found only one called 'Java Visual VM'

cheers

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Nope…here is what I did.

Go to the following directory:

Mac HD --> System --> Library --> Java --> JavaVirtualMachines --> 1.6.0.jdk --> Contents --> Home --> Bin --> "java"

Add that and you are all set. Other options, like the one you tried may work but for me it did not, so I did this one and I have had zero pop-ups even after several restarts on purpose to see if I would get one.

Hope I could help you out bro!

~SRL

PChaste

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2013
Nope…here is what I did.

Go to the following directory:

Mac HD --> System --> Library --> Java --> JavaVirtualMachines --> 1.6.0.jdk --> Contents --> Home --> Bin --> "java"

Add that and you are all set. Other options, like the one you tried may work but for me it did not, so I did this one and I have had zero pop-ups even after several restarts on purpose to see if I would get one.

Hope I could help you out bro!

~SRL

@SRLMJ23: What exactly did you do? I did follow the path and there is a file named "Java". What now?
And what does it do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.